• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Kolgar

OK, those Gametrailer videos were horrid. If the game looks better than that, Turn 10 should start lawsuit proceedings in 3, 2, 1...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tiago Leite said:
After seeing gametrailer's videos, i can say that there aren't lightmaps(?) form the tunnel... i.e. the tunnel lights don't cast anytinhg in the car's body... :(
I probably wouldn't have noticed that had you not said anything. *cries*

shinnn

serious.. look at this compression

defyf.jpg

wtf? :lol

btw... besides the lighting in the tunnels the game looks great. The ZR1 sounds awesome.

[Nintex]

Ironic these are the guys complaining about sub-HD resolutions. And yet, their own videos are made with SEGA CD Stop Motion Video technology.

Dural

For a site dedicated to streaming video you'd think they would hire someone that knows how to encode it.

dejay

Banned
Those videos were beyond bad. They were disgusting buckets of putrescent elephant semen that have been left in the sun for three days.

Yeah, those GT videos are doing the game no favors, but we know what it really looks like. Perhaps on Friday, Turn 10 will show them how it's done.

The open-cockpit LMP cars look like a blast to drive, though.

chespace said:
Saw those gametrailers videos and yeah they're pretty compressed. Oh well. To make up for this, I'm posting a new 1:53 minute pure gameplay video tomorrow in 720p. It'll look good. :D

I knew it! :D

Iknos

Fender_Uk said:
wow those vids are compressed to shit, nice job GT

It's even sub-30fps too.

Not only that but they chopped it up and didn't show a whole lap.

Sedona looks extreme. A HARD right before a tunnel and then a hairpin right after coming out of that tunnel. But I want to see how that whole track comes together.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Saw those gametrailers videos and yeah they're pretty compressed. Oh well. To make up for this, I'm posting a new 1:53 minute pure gameplay video tomorrow in 720p. It'll look good. :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The HD flash video on the site looks about ten times better than the windows HD encode. Go with that one instead.

FrankT

Funny thing is the Gamespot videos from PAX were the same resolution, but look about 10X better than the GT vids. Not even sure how they managed to poop those out.

XiaNaphryz said:
Only $170 more than what I spent, nice. :lol

That's what happens when you wait 2 weeks!
That's what happens when you're in the UK. It would have only cost me £20 ($33) less two weeks ago.

Just watched the Corvette vid. Audio is so good when they go into the tunnel.

/thumbs up

chespace said:

Is the Bugatti video still going up today? Please don't allow gametrailers near your game next time....

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ultimo hombre said:
Is the Bugatti video still going up today? Please don't allow gametrailers near your game next time....

Yes, Bugatti HD version still going up today.

nib95

Banned
Watched the GT vid HD Flash. Didn't seem to have any more or less compression than what we're used to seeing with GT vids. That said, visuals whilst still a marked improvement over F2, still lack a little something. I think the colour palette, art direction and lighting still give it a slightly "arcade" like appeal, and less realistic. That may be what Team10 are going for, but based on the promo screens, I thought this time they were going for a more photo realistic style.

Che, can't you just provide Blim with some 60fps high quality footage?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tiago Leite said:
Ok... after killing my time seeing that video, there is hope i guess...

check this...

EDIT: one more...

I saw that too, but I thought it was just the reflection going into the tunnel. But you could be right!

Iknos

chespace said:

The game looks great if you realize that there's some horrible compression on it.

2aaj5kw.jpg

shinnn

chespace said:

yay! the GT video was useful for something after all... :lol

thanks Che :D

Keikoku

Banned
chespace said:

Fuck yeah.

HoTHiTTeR

BlinkGT said:
Off-screen, trailer, off-screen, fucking compressed, off-screen, off-screen...Damn.

LOL. Would you rather get no videos until the studio published and hosted them, or get them from a 3rd party that compresses them and/or films them off-screen.

Some new media > No new media.

HoTHiTTeR said:
Some new media > No new media.

I don't know about that. If the quality is that poor, I rather not have anything. Not only are the videos terrible but then you're spending time coutering it by having to posting proper videos to show people that the game doesn't look that bad.

To many of us, we might know what compression and such things are but you'd be surprised how many people will look at that and go "oh god, this looks terrible." and yes, it does.

nib95

Banned
Anyone else think that in this video, graphically speaking, the game looks quite similar to Resistance 2? The art style and colour palette especially.

F3b.jpg

F3a.jpg

F3c.jpg

nib95 said:
Anyone else think that in this video, graphically speaking, the game looks quite similar to Resistance 2? The art style and colour palette especially.

Hmm...maybe. Your writing style reminds me of the carpet in my living room though.

;)

Iknos

nib95 said:

The parts in Resistance 2 where you were outdoors in yes. It could be because of the orange lighting and bloom. IIRC Resistance 2's outdoor levels took place in the late afternoon/sunset as well.

2rhs4f6.jpg

On tracks that are overcast it looks entirely different. I grabbed that pic when the player was rewinding...looks great with no HUD elements. I'm so going to turn off the HUD if I ever try cockpit view.

2rm61w1.jpg

Big difference in the looks of each track.

Hey Che when looking at the GiantBomb vid it looked very smooth compared to GT's...so the GT vids could be sub 30fps. If you could make your vid 30fps that would be great. :)

nib95 said:
think the colour palette, art direction and lighting still give it a slightly "arcade" like appeal, and less realistic. That may be what Team10 are going for, but based on the promo screens, I thought this time they were going for a more photo realistic style.

nib95 said:

0 for 2.. come on, one more.

abacab driver said:
0 for 2.. come on, one more.
Uh, FM2 and FM3 gameplay look slightly more "arcadey" then traditional sims, even though the stuff going on behind-the-scenes IS simulation. The art style is enhanced photo-realism (see: Uncharted).

As for the R2 question, I see what he meant there and agree that the very orange lighting is present in both games for those particular outdoor scenes / daytime multiplayer maps in R2.

Iknos said:
Hey Che when looking at the GiantBomb vid it looked very smooth compared to GT's...so the GT vids could be sub 30fps. If you could make your vid 30fps that would be great. :)

The giantbomb vid is done with a camera..so it captures the extra frames as motion blur. The GT vid most likely just drops every other frame completely.

G_Berry

Banned
Keikoku said:
Team 10 doesn't know how to do lightning.

Have you ever played FM2 ?

Don't know if it's the lighting. I always thought FM had a similar colour palette to PGR.
Lots of vibrant colour. I think it's this that gives it it's more "arcadey" look.

Iknos

WHOAguitarninja said:
The giantbomb vid is done with a camera..so it captures the extra frames as motion blur. The GT vid most likely just drops every other frame completely.

I should have realized that. Thanks.

That means 60fps vids Che. :)

I would think that someone at MS has the equipment to capture 60fps vids for promotional material.

You guys need to consider putting a 60fps vid on the XBL Marketplace. Even if it's just a short mishmash of gameplay cliips.

I guess a demo would be better.

G_Berry said:
Don't know if it's the lighting. I always thought FM had a similar colour palette to PGR.
Lots of vibrant colour. I think it's this that gives it it's more "arcadey" look.

Plenty of sims have vibrant color. It has more to do with the non-typical racing lighting conditions. Racing during a sunset for example.

colour-temperature.gif

Your direct light is very warm and the shadows being lit by ambient light will seem very cool because the sky is still blue/purple. It adds up to a very unique look that isn't seen in many racing games because visibility is key. As you can see the overall look of Sedona is quite dark.

Insertia

I'm a little disappointed by the videos because the bullshots fooled me into thinking it would have more of a photorealistic quality. Turn10 is making leaps to have Forza compete with Gran Turismo visually and in terms of presentation. I think they'll get it with the next one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
G_Berry said:
I think this is the look I get from this game too. They upped about everything poly wise (it seems) and it shows. It has that sheen to it like MSR or PGR. Not a bad thing. Does this game have night time? If so are the vids? I would love to see.

RefigeKru

Banned
Thought, I'd chime in.

Playing Forza 2 I thought it looked too, cartooney. It wasn't simply because it was colourful, because as it's been said the PGR games also used a lot more colour, I'd pin it on the differences in lighting.

Not really fair though, since the lighting in the PGR games is godly.

Insertia said:
I'm a little disappointed by the videos because the bullshots fooled me into thinking it would have more of a photorealistic quality. Turn10 is making leaps to have Forza compete with Gran Turismo visually and in terms of presentation. I think they'll get it with the next one.

well, here's some eye bleach, then. this video looks a lot better

Link

Keikoku

Banned
Insertia said:

I don't think that we've seen enough of GT5 to make such a statement. And if you're speaking about GT5P, FM3 already looks better imo.

And all these "arcadey looks" stuff (stealth trolling) is ridiculous.

Majmun

nib95 said:

F3a.jpg

4t3qfr.jpg

F3c.jpg

Not really.

But I've seen the game in better shape. Low quality pics, for sure.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Keikoku said:
I don't think that we've seen enough of GT5 to make such a statement. And if you're speaking about GT5P, FM3 already looks better imo.

And all these "arcadey looks" stealth trolling is ridiculous.
You can tell the sort of post just by looking at the avatar. no need to read it. :p

Top Bottom