• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS Enshrines a Theology of Rape (NYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Slavery in those days by the way, is not what you think. Slaves were more like hired hands. Certainly better treated than the stereotypical black slave of the South. So that presumption is unfounded as well.

Slaves? More like independent contractors!

Who decides which parts are "outdated", and based on what? On what society in general deems acceptable these days I'd guess, which would mean that it's actually people and not "God"/the book determining what's good and what's bad. So... why do people bother with these fairytales at all? But again, I guess this whole ridiculousness is something you're blind to if you're deep inside it.

Is there any answer I can give that won't immediately be disregarded as bullshit?

I know you're hardcore atheist and treat all religions the same so I'm just trying to save us both time

Sayah

I'm just gonna re-post what I already posted in another thread.

On Slavery

Islam did not initiate slavery but did permit it. It was already a common practice in 7th Century Arabia and was deeply embedded practice in society. From my perspective, at least, Islam addressed a lot of societal issues through gradual elimination rather than an outright ban (e.g. alcohol).

Anyway, the end goal seems to be the elimination of slavery.

Firstly, the legality of slavery today (from the BBC):

While Islamic law does allow slavery under certain conditions, it's almost inconceivable that those conditions could ever occur in today's world, and so slavery is effectively illegal in modern Islam. Muslim countries also use secular law to prohibit slavery.

News stories do continue to report occasional instances of slavery in a few Muslim countries, but these are usually denied by the authorities concerned.

On Treatment of Slaves:

Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 2, Number 30:

Narrated Al-Ma'rur:

At Ar-Rabadha I met Abu Dhar who was wearing a cloak, and his slave, too, was wearing a similar one. I asked about the reason for it. He replied, "I abused a person by calling his mother with bad names." The Prophet said to me, 'O Abu Dhar! Did you abuse him by calling his mother with bad names You still have some characteristics of ignorance. Your slaves are your brothers and Allah has put them under your command. So whoever has a brother under his command should feed him of what he eats and dress him of what he wears. Do not ask them (slaves) to do things beyond their capacity (power) and if you do so, then help them.' "

On Slaves requesting freedom:

Quran 24:33 (Pickthall Translation)
And let those who cannot find a match keep chaste till Allah give them independence by His grace. And such of your slaves as seek a writing (of emancipation), write it for them if ye are aware of aught of good in them, and bestow upon them of the wealth of Allah which He hath bestowed upon you. Force not your slave girls to whoredom that ye may seek enjoyment of the life of the world, if they would preserve their chastity. And if one force them, then (unto them), after their compulsion, Lo! Allah will be Forgiving, Merciful.

Freeing Slaves:

Bukhari: Volume 7, Book 65, Number 286:

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari:

The Prophet said, "Give food to the hungry, pay a visit to the sick and release (set free) the one in captivity (by paying his ransom)."
Muslim: Book 015, Number 4079:

Zadhan reported that Ibn Umar called his slave and he found the marks (of beating) upon his back. He said to him: I have caused you pain. He said: No. But he (Ibn Umar) said: You are free. He then took hold of something from the earth and said: There is no reward for me even to the weight equal to it. I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: He who beats a slave without cognizable offence of his or slaps him (without any serious fault), then expiation for it is that he should set him free.

Quran 5:89
Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths. So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] - then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful.

On Racism:

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black, nor a black has any superiority over a white- except by piety and good action.

It's clear from multiple instances that this practice was already embedded in society and not something Islam introduced into society. The goal was to eventually eradicate it with multiple sources suggesting "equality of slaves," "good treatment of slaves," and eventual "freedom of slaves" as expiation for sins.

I love it when religious people don't have a clue about their own religion guess reading the first few pages is not enough, cherrypicking.avi.

Backwards as fuck.

King_Moc

Banned
Slavery in those days by the way, is not what you think. Slaves were more like hired hands. Certainly better treated than the stereotypical black slave of the South. So that presumption is unfounded as well.

I hear this a lot, and it always sounds very convenient. Is there anything to back it up?

xbhaskarx

The god of the Qur'an really, really doesn't like disbelievers and has a myriad of specific plans for their eternal torment in hell.

Specifically while they live, though, disbelievers should be sought out and killed until only Muslims remain (1), and treated harshly in general since they're going to hell anyway (2), and god will make them humiliated in life (3). Also, don't bother feeling any sort of mercy for them because god designed them to be disbelievers in the first place (4), and they're minions of the devil (5).

(1) 2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.
2:192 But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
2:193 And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers.

(2) 9:73 O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end.

(2-2) 9:123 O ye who believe! Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you, and know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him).

(3) 39:26 Thus Allah made them taste humiliation in the life of the world, and verily the doom of the Hereafter will be greater if they did but know.

(4) 2:6 As for the Disbelievers, Whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they believe not.
2:7 Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom.

(5) 4:76 Those who believe do battle for the cause of Allah; and those who disbelieve do battle for the cause of idols. So fight the minions of the devil. Lo! the devil's strategy is ever weak.

All up to interpretation, of course.

Pretty hard to interpret in a way that is totally peaceful and doesn't in any way advocate violence, though...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there any answer I can give that won't immediately be disregarded as bullshit?

I know you're hardcore atheist and treat all religions the same so I'm just trying to save us both time

Probably not, no. Nobody in the history of mankind has ever managed to present an argument that makes all this seem the least bit reasonable (at least from what I've seen), so it seems unlikely that you would be the first.

Cyan

Banned
I hear this a lot, and it always sounds very convenient. Is there anything to back it up?

Yes of course, there are plenty of historical writings describing how slaves were well-treated and actually pretty happy, how they cheerfully sang as they worked the fields, how really they were better off as slaves anyway and freeing them would've practically been a punishment.

Wait sorry, are we talking about self-serving defenses of slavery in the American South or self-serving defenses of slavery in the medieval Islamic world? It's so easy to get confused.

Probably not, no. Nobody in the history of mankind has ever managed to present an argument that makes all this seem the least bit reasonable (at least from what I've seen), so it seems unlikely that you would be the first.

That's cool.

Live long and prosper!

TCRS

Banned
absolutely sickening. the only reason they don't do this to christian and shia women is because there would be hell to pay. they would invite a whole shitstorm on themselves by western and shia countries/groups. yazidis on the other hand are pretty much defenseless with no large group representing them anywhere else... so sad.

I read the letters section on slavery, which relies entirely on two arguments.

1) Muhammad said it would be a nice thing to do if you freed your slaves.

2) Islamic countries haven't practiced slavery for a century so that's why you shouldn't either.

Both of these arguments are pretty damn weak in the face of the opposing evidence presented so far in this thread.

If that's the best defense leading Islamic scholars can come up with, then it's pretty clear Islam permits slavery.

"for a century"? More like 50 years. Islamic countries were the last to end slavery. Abolition of slavery in:
Mauritania - 1981
Oman - 1970
United Arab Emirates - 1964
Yemen - 1962
Saudi Arabia - 1962
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline#1900.E2.80.93present

King_Moc

Banned
Sure,
It's a long read...tho

http://rzim.org/a-slice-of-infinity/does-the-bible-condone-slavery

rzim.org is a really well respected Christian site
Ravi Zacharias is the founder.

It seems to have made a few leaps of faith in the reasoning.

The regulation of slavery should therefore be seen as a practical step to deal with the realities of the day resulting from human fall. The aberrations that lead to alienation among individuals, races, and nations are the result of a fundamental broken relationship between humankind and God. Within this tragic scenario, Scripture comes as a breath of fresh air as it seeks to redeem the situation and sets us on a path of ever-increasing amelioration of our predicament. While the Bible does not reject slavery outright, the conclusion that it actually favors slavery is patently wrong. Scripture does reveal that slavery is not ideal, both in Old Testament laws forbidding the enslavement of fellow Israelites, the law of jubilee, and in New Testament applications of Christ.

It assumes that the bible rejects slavery due to the odd verse stating that people are all equal, but without the bible stating it explicitly, it's hard to take it as anything other than one of the many contradictions in the book.

Here's a counter argument against
Deuteronomy 20:10-14

"First off, rape is not mentioned or even hinted at. That's a presumption people make which is unfounded.

The immorality of rape is immediately given in the seventh of the Ten Commandments “You shall not commit adultery.”

Any sexual intercourse outside the bounds of marriage is proscribed by the Bible
So rape is always regarded as immoral in the Bible.

The people mentioned in (Deuteronomy 20:10-14 ) were the enemy of the Israelites and worshipers of false gods/and barbarians. Rather than just destroy them all, God told the Israelites to offer them a peace proposal. They refused, and they chose war.

It has been common practice throughout eternity for the spoils to go to the victor in battle."

Full read at http://www.reasonablefaith.org/moral-argument
The Koran also forbids pre-marital sex, but it doesn't forbid sex with slaves. I'd assumed that Biblical slaves were viewed similarly.

And that "peace proposal"?
When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city.
Giving people the choice of "peacefully" becoming slaves or going to war doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.

If they're merely using them as hired hands, then why only take the women and children? Why not enslave all of the survivors?

dabig2

Your referring to the rape and pillaging right?
There is no reference or sanction for rape in the bible. In fact if you were guilty of raping anyone you were stoned to death.

I'm not understanding where your getting this?

God himself ordering tand ordaining the complete genocide, pillaging, and yes, raping unless you happen to be one of those types that believes women to be property and having no rights, literally litters the bible. Everything following egypt is chock full of it. What bible are you reading?

Valhelm

contribute something
absolutely sickening. the only reason they don't do this to christian and shia women is because there would be hell to pay. they would invite a whole shitstorm on themselves by western and shia countries/groups. yazidis on the other hand are pretty much defenseless with no large group representing them anywhere else... so sad.

It's more about theology than retribution. I'm sure many Christian, Shia, and even some Sunni women are raped by ISIS militants, but Wahhabist theology holds that Yazidis are heretics at best and devil-worshippers at worst, meaning that they aren't people of the book and ought to be eradicated and treated as non-humans.

The rape of Yazidis (or Hindus, or Zoroastrians) is acceptable, according to some scholars, because their pagan-ness means that restrictions against premarital sex don't apply to them.

Duji

Itjihad essentially just comes down doing what seems right when things aren't explicitly stated. Alcohol has been explicitly stated as banned, so that is set in stone. AFAIK slavery hasn't explicitly been described as a right, just rules related to it mentioned
We only have Allah to thank for being explicitly clear on issues such as alcohol, witchcraft, adultery, etc but sort of beating around the bush when dealing with less important issues like slavery.

clove

Neo Member

Actually, their doctrine explicitly allows for Christians to live among them, so long as they offer submission and pay a special tax called jizya (same goes for Jews). And they don't rape Shiites because they would rather kill them for the crime of modifying, thereby defacing the original perfection of Islam. The rest of that video is great for anyone interested in this stuff (no gore).

Kadayi

Banned
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a cultural mindset where in these kind of actions are remotely considered acceptable or defensible....

This is unbelievable stupidity and cruelty. These fools would be going to hell if their god was actually real...

I think those responsible for this kind of stuff need to found and corrected or erased.

Kreed

Your referring to the rape and pillaging right?
There is no reference or sanction for rape in the bible. In fact if you were guilty of raping anyone you were stoned to death.

I'm not understanding where your getting this?

Deuteronomy has plenty off of verses in regards to this off the top of my head. Here's one example from a simple google search.

Deuteronomy 20:10-14 said:
As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

http://www.allaboutgod.com/truth/deuteronomy-20.htm

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Jesus fucking christ.
the things I would do to a coward like this....

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I hope these assholes have the most painful death possible.

I can't wait until this piece of shit organization and its followers are wiped off the face of the earth.

Deuteronomy has plenty off of verses in regards to this off the top of my head. Here's one example from a simple google search.

http://www.allaboutgod.com/truth/deuteronomy-20.htm

God himself ordering tand ordaining the complete genocide, pillaging, and yes, raping unless you happen to be one of those types that believes women to be property and having no rights, literally litters the bible. Everything following egypt is chock full of it. What bible are you reading?

You are both getting confused here because you don't understand the context of what is going on.

WHY FIGHT THESE NATIONS?
God tells Moses the reason he was using them as a nation to fight these specific nations In Deut 9:4

4 “Do not say in your heart when God drives them away from before you, ‘It was because of my own righteousness that God has brought me in to take possession of this land.’ Rather, it is because of the wickedness of these nations that God is driving them away from before you. 5 It is not because of your righteousness or the uprightness of your heart that you are going in to take possession of their land. Instead, it is because of the wickedness of these nations that Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you and in order to carry out the word that God swore to your forefathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. "

The nations are wicked engaging in child sacrifice, beast and child prostitution and god deems they gots to go. Plus many of them attacked Israel when they were leaving Egypt and in a weakened condition and because they didn't help them they in turn would receive no help.

RULES OF CONDUCT
That said he outlines the rules of engaging in combat with these nations:

Deut 7:1-3

"When the LORD your God brings you into the land you are about to enter and occupy, he will clear away many nations ahead of you: the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites. These seven nations are greater and more numerous than you.

2: You must completely destroy them. Make no treaties with them and show them no mercy.

3: You must not intermarry with them. Do not let your daughters and sons marry their sons and daughters,

The rules continue as you noted in Deuteronomy 20:10-14 but that deals with a nation that surrenders. If they surrender they men were put to forced labor and the women and children sparred.

BUT HOW DO WE KNOW THEY WEREN'T RAPING THE WOMEN?

During the military campaign the only way the war could be holy was by them never engaging in any 'unclean' practice. This included not only sex but a orgasm of any kind:

Deut 23:9-10
When you are encamped against your enemies, keep away from everything impure. If one of your men is unclean because of a nocturnal emission, he is to go outside the camp and stay there.

Therefore sexual contact with women, even their own wives, was prohibited to them and they voluntarily abstained from it. This was why Uriah who was interesting enough a Hittite, when called in from the field by King David, did not go at night to his home in Jerusalem to be with his wife. When King David, ignoring the sacred requirements of the military campaign, asked Uriah why he had not gone home that night, that loyal soldier replied: “The ark, and Israel, and Judah, abide in booths; and my lord Joab, and the servants of my lord, are encamped in the open field; shall I then go into my house, to eat and to drink, and to lie with my wife? as thou livest, and as thy soul liveth, I will not do this thing.”

Also god outlined what was to be done with women that were brought back to Israel from one of the foreign nations:

Deut 21:10-12
When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails, and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

So no raping no dealing with them in any violent way. If they did try and Rape someone Deut 22:25 tells us what would happen:

But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor.

You rape someone you die. The one time a women is raped in the bible it is so appalling to the rest of the nation that they go to war with the family line that was responsible and almost wipe every single one out.

Plus its not a situation where the bible is just being vague and doesn't acknowledge rape. God tells the Israelites that if they don't worship him and instead worship gods of the other nations and commit child sacrafice that he will not protect them when they go to war and there will be a profound difference between their warfare when god is with them and when he is not. He describes what would happen in Isa 13:

Isa 13:16

Their little children will be dashed to death before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked, and their wives will be raped.

So no raping under any circumstances.

Further the Israelites also had strict guidelines with their slaves. They could not harm them in any way nor push them to do any task they weren't willing to do themselves. On top of that they were only slaves for 7 years at which point they were to be released. Evidence that they were not dealt harshly had to do with the law that forbid it but also that many of the nations that surrendered became prominent individuals within the Isrealite court system.

I hope that helps

Monocle

I thought religion was supposed to help people figure out that they shouldn't do this sort of thing.

You almost have to laugh when people ask: "How is it possible for people to be good when they don't believe in God?" "What keeps you from killing and raping people without the moral compass of religion or the fear of God's punishment?"

Um... not wanting to be a murderous child raping barbarian?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's kind of amazing how ISIS has revived the totally evil organization.

I'm a 90s kid, so some part of me will always have trouble believing groups like that are actually possible. It seemed so over in that era.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I posted that article in the Jeb Bush "not a bad deal" thread, but yeah it's definitely thread-worthy.

It isn't. How can rape be allowed if premarital sex isn't even allowed?
When have men ever been punished for premarital sex anyway? These rules are there to punish unmarried women for having sex, not men. Men have "needs", after all.

Yikes, that's one scary website.

Yes, there are passages that dictate kindness and contradict the nastiness

You won't find them quoted on GAF though

http://www.themuslimtimes.org/2013/1...g-in-the-quran
I fail to see how these even matter. "Be kind to your slaves" is a really low fucking bar when it comes to supreme divine morality, don't you think?

Isn't freeing a slave contradictory to taking them in the first place?!
No. How can you free a slave if there is no such thing as a slave? Also, freeing a slave applies to freeing your own slaves, not being a hero freeing other people's slaves or whatever (how dare you touch other people's property, eh).

In the NY Times article it even mentions ISIS sometimes frees their own slaves, and ISIS's own rulebook says it's a virtue. Yet they enslave thousands of women. Does it make sense? No, because ISIS are brainwashed idiots and assholes, but it's hardly shocking that there would be contradictions in their dogma. The Bible is full of contradictions as well.

= making shit up as they go along.

It's all utter hogwash. Either follow what your magic book says (which would be absolutely horrible), or realize it's a load of crap. Offensive? Perhaps. But the whole "we'll take what sounds good and pretend the rest doesn't exist, while we make other stuff up to fill in the gaps" thing makes the whole endevour so ridiculous. But I guess when you're deep inside it you can't see that. You know, because of all the indoctrination and brainwashing.
100% this.

According the link in the OP, they still enslave Jewish and Christian women despite them being "People of the Book". It's just that they need a bit of special pleading to do so, whereas the Yazidi are 100% fair game at all times because, y'know, they're devil worshippers.

You are both getting confused here because you don't understand the context of what is going on.

WHY FIGHT THESE NATIONS?
God tells Moses the reason he was using them as a nation to fight these specific nations In Deut 9:4

The nations are wicked engaging in child sacrifice, beast and child prostitution and god deems they gots to go.
And what's stopping him from smiting these evil nations, hmm? He's God. Omnipotent allmighty creator of the universe. He caused the Flood. He can snap his fingers and make things happen, yet now he needs a lowly army of men to get rid of evil people?

How can people not see the blatant flaws in this story and believe this horseshit? Seriously.

It makes way more sense than these stories were made up by believers who thought they had their god on their side and made their own arbitrary rules based on their primitive sense of morality, than god actually laying down those rules. It also explains the large number of contradictions and how pathetically outdated and barbaric these rules are.

Further the Israelites also had strict guidelines with their slaves. They could not harm them in any way nor push them to do any task they weren't willing to do themselves. On top of that they were only slaves for 7 years at which point they were to be released.
Low. Fucking. Bar.

I hope that helps
All it helps doing is cementing the fact that scripture is 100% bullshit and completely useless to a modern system of morality.

Chaplain

"How is it possible for people to be good when they don't believe in god?"

All people (atheist, non-atheist, etc.) do good or evil because all people are moral beings created in God's image. Some people use religion to fulfill their desires of self-gratification (committing terrorist acts in Jesus' name). Others have used ideologies like communism (Stalin, Mao, etc.) to kill millions of people in the name of atheism. What Jesus taught is that mankind's heart is corrupt: out of it come the thoughts that lead to actions (if people choose to act upon those thoughts) that are self-centered. That was his diagnosis of all mankind.

For the Christian, Jesus instructed us to make the daily choice (moment by moment sometimes) to focus on loving God and loving others. He then went on to say that Christians that do not do this will continue to live self-centered lives. Its basically a habit that can be cultivated to live a self-centered life or an others-centered life (with His help). Finally, Jesus instructed Christians that those who actually live for God and others would demonstrate their beliefs through visible evidence (their works). Those that continue to behave the opposite of how Jesus behaved are hypocrites (Jesus said this) and just wolves in sheep's clothing (actors that put on a mask).

Hope that helped.

I fail to see how these even matter. "Be kind to your slaves" is a really low fucking bar when it comes to supreme divine morality, don't you think?

No. How can you free a slave if there is no such thing as a slave? Also, freeing a slave applies to freeing your own slaves, not being a hero freeing other people's slaves or whatever (how dare you touch other people's property, eh).

In the NY Times article it even mentions ISIS sometimes frees their own slaves, and ISIS's own rulebook says it's a virtue. Yet they enslave thousands of women. Does it make sense? No, because ISIS are brainwashed idiots and assholes, but it's hardly shocking that there would be contradictions in their dogma. The Bible is full of contradictions as well.

All I wanted to do was show that contradictions exist and its up to the individual on what they wanted to justify.

Although, given the usual players and responses for this kind of thread it was a good exercise in futility - so go ahead, dog pile on, tell me what a fucking idiot I am for following fairy tales and how someone should drop a tactical nuke somewhere

He is not wrong in the sense that the Quran does allow things like this

he is absolutely wrong though for using it as an excuse and committing the crime in the first place. disgusting.

people still deny that Islam is a religion founded on bloodshed and war, and is pretty dangerous.

Of course I don't think that everyone who practices Islam are bad people, but these extremists aren't really extremists at all, they are just taking the religion seriously, which is obviously very dangerous.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Rape_in_Islam#Qur.27an

Lubricus

As far as ISIS goes;
The Nazi's were just as bad.
So was Pol Pot in Cambodia in the 1970's.
And Stalin and the Communist party in the Soviet Union.
And North Korea.
And Chile under Pinochet.
A lot of countries including the USA live in glass houses. We don't need to get righteous but we need to help stop the current terror.
I was just reading a story about a couple from Starkville, Mississippi who were arrested while on their way to join ISIS.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/15/us/disbelief-in-mississippi-at-how-far-isis-message-can-travel.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

This is bad but it will end eventually. We will move on, maybe slower than before but still going forward.

mantidor

Any sexual intercourse outside the bounds of marriage is proscribed by the Bible
So rape is always regarded as immoral in the Bible.

What about marital rape?

And to be honest it's pretty much the same thing as Islam. Abrahamic religions have a way to dehumanize whoever isn't part of the religion itself, so of course Christianity and Islam talk about being kind, being respectful, honorable etc, etc, but that flies out of the window when you are talking about the "others".

cameron

They will do anything to rationalize sex slaves and rape. If they don't do straight up slavery, they will convert the girl to Islam, forcibly marry her, and have a harem of wives. Like that makes any difference.

People like to parrot "historical context" to defend shit in their favourite dusty book. Those pages were written by men for men. Any talk of divine influence is nonsense.

Islamic State leader Baghdadi 'raped' Kayla Mueller: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33941913

I hate to add to the horror that is this thread, but I was just reading this :(

I usually try and keep a level head, and don't believe in capital punishment, but I'd gladly kill these fucks myself.

It's all fucked up. Just read about it after trying to look up the name of the caliph. Another article by abcnews : http://abcnews.go.com/International...al-baghdadi-sexually-abused/story?id=33085923

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All I wanted to do was show that contradictions exist and its up to the individual on what they wanted to justify.
That's no excuse to abandon reason and rationality.

Although, given the usual players and responses for this kind of thread it was a good exercise in futility - so go ahead, dog pile on, tell me what a fucking idiot I am for following fairy tales and how someone should drop a tactical nuke somewhere
Excuse me?

entremet

What about marital rape?

And to be honest it's pretty much the same thing as Islam. Abrahamic religions have a way to dehumanize whoever isn't part of the religion itself, so of course Christianity and Islam talk about being kind, being respectful, honorable etc, etc, but that flies out of the window when you are talking about the "others".

Well Jesus did say love your enemy, the religion's founder.

For a good moral summary of Christianity read Matthew Chapters 5-7, otherwise known of the Sermon on the Mount. It was a favorite of Ghandi's as well. Dostoevsky was found of the teachings.

Whether Christian groups throughout history obeyed is another story.

NeonZ

It ~slavery due to the odd verse stating that people are all equal, but without the bible stating it explicitly, it's hard to take it as anything other than one of the many contradictions in the book.

There are some parts of the New Testament that pretty much say that the Old Testament law isn't applicable anymore though, which pretty much gets rid of that. It continues in "spirit", due to the promise being fulfilled, but the letter of the law isn't relevant.

Galatians 3; 23-29
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.

Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As to the bits you bolded, read the first pages for most of these threads and you'll see what I mean
No I don't see what you mean. I see that someone made this dumb comment, and somehow you're attributing it to me because... I criticized your faith? Yeah, um, why would you do that?

There were varying degrees of horribleness like anything but if it was so great it wouldn't be pretty universally reviled. Probably heavily dependent on the owner but also the society. The slavery we normally think of is a permanent condition that is also inherited. In America, you were a slave if your mother was a slave (for disgusting but obvious reasons) but a Roman slave had several avenues of getting freedom and many ex-slaves rose to prominence through the military or economically. Like I said, it was never not something you didn't actively seek to get out of but the degrees of horribleness varied invidiually, culturally, and throughout time periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom