• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

This is a really specific question, but it's very important to me.

Kojima said that Quiet's story and outfit justification will make us feel sorry for our words and deeds.

Without telling me why, does anybody know of this turned out to be true or false?

What's the verdict on Quiet?

Nemesis_

Kojima said that Quiet's story and outfit justification will make us feel sorry for our words and deeds.

Without telling me why, does anybody know of this turned out to be true or false?

All I've read is that there is an explanation and that it's terrible / weird

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about the story other than the trailers and some reviews.

That being said, I'll hazard a guess and say the more positive impressions of the story are directly proportional to understanding the way the story is told relative to the narrative's key themes, twists, and developments.

I'm thinking along the lines of Metal Gear Solid 2, not as in it's exactly like Metal Gear Solid 2 in literal twists and themes, but how that game relied on the method of story telling, subverting expectations, and player involvement to bring itself together.

By comparison, MGS, MGS3, and MGS4 are very linear, typical movie/literature narratives where you go from A to B to C to D and so on and each cutscenes and moment develops the narrative or adds new information, and then you reach the climax and it's all over. They're straight forward in progress, like a movie.

A lot of MGS2's charm comes not from following this formula, but the way it's presented and consumed by the person interacting with the game entire. So even though it has the linearity of the other games, even once the credits roll and it's all over you're forced to reflect upon the sequence of events as you experienced them and what the importance of those to the themes. The surprise of playing as Raiden, the surrealness of Big Shell events retreading distinctly familiar moments from MGS, and the fourth wall breaking AI moments while in the core. The player becomes involved in these sequences, and the weirdness they feel becomes part of the story, something to reflect upon with purpose even when the narrative is over. The kind of stuff you think back on and go oh, I was supposed to feel that, because of these reasons.

It kinda sounds like The Phantom Pain deliberately keeps its narrative a little bit discovery like, where doing side ops, listening to taps, uncovering radio calls and mystery objectives, and so on and so forth for the player, piecing together this bigger puzzles alongside the linear narrative, is the point. It's more than just A-to-B-to-C and so on. You're supposed to reflect upon your experience and how you experienced that information, and that itself is part of the narrative and themes.

At least, I hope that's what they're going for.

Ratrat

This is not the spoiler thread.
edit: welp, too late.

Review events suck, full stop. I don't give a shit how much time you're allocated or whatever. You're unable to play at your own pace, in your own comfort, and within your own control. It's a crock of shit. You can't boot up the game whenever you want to replay things or fact check or simply re-experience content. You can't marathon based on your own schedule, you have to work within theirs. You get what you're given, finish as much as you can in X amount of time, and catch you later. It's a controlled environment through and through, and I don't give a fuck if you finished the game during; you're not qualified to review it.

Our journo could only spend three hours there. He's fairly new to the series, so instead of tugging our cocks and pretending like we're experts on the series based on three hours of controlled environment play, we put it up as a preview from the perspective of someone going in relatively fresh.

I sympathise with journos who hate the situation, but I'm not treating controlled reviews as developed, committed, articulated analysis of a game's strengths and weaknesses. Rushing to get content out in time for the embargo drop is bad enough. Review events are piss incarnate.

Yes, but unfortunately what you define as Metal Gear matters only to you, because you didn't invent nor direct nor design the series that indisputably started in 1987. You're free to be disappointed, subjectivity and taste and all that. But please.

Do you mean to say I don't have right to be apprehensive? I am a fan just like you. You don't agree with my opinion. Fine. But try and respect it, please. :)

He also mentioned that the true ending not only broke the fourth wall but completely shattered it in his opinion. With an incredibly powerful message to the players.

And he said you DON'T need to replay missions in higher difficulties (for the story content at least).

He compared the story content after the initial ending to MGSV episode 2. ( though not presented the same way)

I think reviewers who replayed missions, didn't open enough side missions during their playtime, which may not happen to a lot of people taking their time playing the game.

Chariot

Mixed reception from NeoGAF users in the spoiler thread, but the reviewers sounded positive.

Mifec

Reason is pretty simple. As for her ingame story we have no idea.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Do you mean to say I don't have right to be apprehensive? I am a fan just like you. You don't agree with my opinion. Fine. But try and respect it, please. :)

You have full right to be apprehensive. People love the Far Cry games. I fucking hate them because they're not Far Cry 2. People are burned out on Mass Effect because of the ending. I hated the ending and am still hungry as shit for Mass Effect: Andromeda. Some people rate Wind Waker as the best of the Zeldas. I think it's the worst 3D Zelda.

What you draw from the series, as a fan, is up to you and you should gauge your interest and apprehension towards new entries based on that. That's your prerogative like everyone else. But it's subjective, like everyone else too. You don't get to decide what Metal Gear is defined by, only what you define it as for your preferences. The people who define and shape Metal Gear as a series, as a whole, are the people who created it.

This is not the spoiler thread.
edit: welp, too late.

I didn't think that asking a question while specifically saying no details (ie spoilers) somehow counted as a spoiler.

Reception of an ambiguous and undisclosed detail seems like it belongs in a review thread over a spoiler thread. Since, as stated, I do not want the detail itself spoiled.

Thanks to everybody who gave answers.

Robot Pants

He also mentioned that the true ending not only broke the fourth wall but completely shattered it in his opinion. With an incredibly powerful message to the players.

And he said you DON'T need to replay missions in higher difficulties (for the story content at least).

He compared the story content after the initial ending to MGSV episode 2. ( though not presented the same way)
Ok I'm out of this thread now. I appreciate your post about the French reviewer. It solidified that I shouldn't be worried about the story.
But this talk of 4th wall breaking, I want ZERO expectations. I want to be completely taken in by everything.
So I'm out :)

This is one hell of a year for masterpiece games being released.
Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Arkham Knight, and soon to be MGSV and Fallout 4 later this year.

I'm glad to hear that the story has taken a backseat in this one.
No constant interruptions for cutscenes or codec conversations will be refreshing and probably also means that Big Boss' story wont end up as convoluted as Solid Snake's, despite Peace Walker's efforts in that regard.

I hope the game isn't too big, I only finished TW3 last week, I'm not ready to tackle something as overwhelmingly big so soon, though I doubt MGSV has a similar amount of content.

Alienous

Let's not quote things that we personally see as spoilers, especially untagged.

Tell the user that you think their comments are crossing a line and try to make sure no other users are spoiled.

bomma_man

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about the story other than the trailers and some reviews.

That being said, I'll hazard a guess and say the more positive impressions of the story are directly proportional to understanding the way the story is told relative to the narrative's key themes, twists, and developments.

I'm thinking along the lines of Metal Gear Solid 2, not as in it's exactly like Metal Gear Solid 2 in literal twists and themes, but how that game relied on the method of story telling, subverting expectations, and player involvement to bring itself together.

By comparison, MGS, MGS3, and MGS4 are very linear, typical movie/literature narratives where you go from A to B to C to D and so on and each cutscenes and moment develops the narrative or adds new information, and then you reach the climax and it's all over. They're straight forward in progress, like a movie.

A lot of MGS2's charm comes not from following this formula, but the way it's presented and consumed by the person interacting with the game entire. So even though it has the linearity of the other games, even once the credits roll and it's all over you're forced to reflect upon the sequence of events as you experienced them and what the importance of those to the themes. The surprise of playing as Raiden, the surrealness of Big Shell events retreading distinctly familiar moments from MGS, and the fourth wall breaking AI moments while in the core. The player becomes involved in these sequences, and the weirdness they feel becomes part of the story, something to reflect upon with purpose even when the narrative is over. The kind of stuff you think back on and go oh, I was supposed to feel that, because of these reasons.

It kinda sounds like The Phantom Pain deliberately keeps its narrative a little bit discovery like, where doing side ops, listening to taps, uncovering radio calls and mystery objectives, and so on and so forth for the player, piecing together this bigger puzzles alongside the linear narrative, is the point. It's more than just A-to-B-to-C and so on. You're supposed to reflect upon your experience and how you experienced that information, and that itself is part of the narrative and themes.

At least, I hope that's what they're going for.

I really hope this is true

Sanctuary

Ugh. I was really considering getting this, but now I'm not so sure.

if I have one gripe with the game’s story it’s that the cutscenes are thrown at the player in massive helpings. For example, you will have just played through four missions, which would equate to a little more than a few hours, with no cinematics and then all of a sudden the game will toss 10 or 15 minutes of cutscenes at you with little gameplay mixed in. It’s not exactly the pacing I was hoping for in that regard

The cutscenes were the worst thing about MGS4 and were in dire need of editing. It felt like over half of the "playing" time was a completely passive experience. So sick of all of these modern games that just shovel exposition by the mountains at you and forget that it's not supposed to be a movie, but a game.

maybe this is a weird request but i didn't notice any female reviewers listed in the OP in my quick glance at it. Do we have any female reviewer's input on the game? It would be nice to have a different perspective to see if MGSV is as loaded with the pervy stuff as much as MGS4 was. I feel like that's the type of thing that gets glossed over by most male reviewers.

Ratrat

The cutscenes were the worst thing about MGS4 and were in dire need of editing. It felt like over half of the "playing" time was a completely passive experience. So sick of all of these modern games that just shovel exposition by the mountains at you and forget that it's not supposed to be a movie, but a game.
10-15 minutes is nothing. That's more in line with MGS1, compared to MGS4's multiple 40 minute scenes. How do you even like these games?

10-15 minutes is a huge improvement lol

Seriously some are complaining about lack of story/cutscenes and now this comes to light. Hm. I'm seriously beginning to think there's still a lot of story and cutscenes here, it's just majorly trimmed down compared to previous games especially 4. This is a good thing IMO.

That actually sounds pretty good to me. From what I remember of MGS4 it was a lot closer to 2 hours of cutscenes followed by 15 minutes of gameplay. A 15 minute cutscene here or there is fine with me personally. In fact being MGS I'd expect it and be let down without a few of them.

Someone PM this guy then.

And (hopefully) shame him

Don't you dare PMShame me. I'll delete that sucker on sight...and then like 6 months later some dude will be all, "Hey, you get that winning lotto ticket number from my Nigerian friend that I PMed you dude?!?!? What's it like being rich?" Then I'll be all like, "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

maybe this is a weird request but i didn't notice any female reviewers listed in the OP in my quick glance at it. Do we have any female reviewer's input on the game? It would be nice to have a different perspective to see if MGSV is as loaded with the pervy stuff as much as MGS4 was. I feel like that's the type of thing that gets glossed over by most male reviewers.

Also interested in female impressions, formal or not.

The primary reason is always fan-service. They can come up with whatever story they want to justify it, and they might even succeed to some degree, but at the end of the day fan-service is what it comes down to.

Ricky_R

That's actually somewhat of a relief for me. I thought the game would have even shorter cut-scenes going by some of the reactions in this thread.

Jackpot

Banned

The alleged reason given is garbage.

SomTervo

This is a good call. Very important.

Let's not quote things that we personally see as spoilers, especially untagged.

Tell the user that you think their comments are crossing a line and try to make sure no other users are spoiled.

> guy posts spoiler about what the 'true' ending is like
> some people don't seem to care and quote it for discussion
> a handful recognise it as a significant narrative/style spoiler, call it out
> some of these people don't spoiler tag it, re-posting the spoiler
> some cut it or spoiler tag it
> shit is fucked

There's actually no justification given the whole game and after meeting her, Snake just carries her over his shoulder most of the time while grunting and having her fix him meals.

SomTervo

Wait, so... You're saying you have a problem with this... Yet this is the exact thing which MGSV allegedly addresses? Apparently it's still got a lot of story but it's spread out between hours of gameplay and optional content (some of which can be listened to during gameplay) – which is 100% different to MGS2-4's style of '20 minutes gameplay > 30 minutes cutscene > 30 minutes gameplay > 1 hour cutscene > 1 hour gameplay > 30 minutes cutscene' etc.

Sanctuary

That actually sounds pretty good to me. From what I remember of MGS4 it was a lot closer to 2 hours of cutscenes followed by 15 minutes of gameplay. A 15 minute cutscene here or there is fine with me personally. In fact being MGS I'd expect it and be let down without a few of them.

That's sure as fuck what it felt like, but IIRC it was more like 20 minutes of cutscenes every hour or two. I didn't have an issue with the first MGS either. The pacing just felt right with that one.

Wait, so... You're saying you have a problem with this... Yet this is the exact thing which MGSV allegedly addresses? Apparently it's still got a lot of story but it's spread out between hours of gameplay and optional content (some of which can be listened to during gameplay) – which is 100% different to MGS2-4's style of '20 minutes gameplay > 30 minutes cutscene > 30 minutes gameplay > 1 hour cutscene > 1 hour gameplay > 30 minutes cutscene' etc.

I think a few of you are misinterpreting what I said. It seems that once again, the game is going to be overstuffed with exposition. MGS4 was just one reason I wrote the series off completely initially. I don't actually care how they are spread out if I am still going to be forced to watch three Star Wars prequel's worth of cutscenes overall.

Kaze2212

I believe that there will be plenty of story in the game. Obviously it might FEEL less than previous Metal Gear Solid games especially 4, but that is probably thanks to the length and content of the game. The ratio of cutscenes and gameplay might be different, more gameplay than story this time around, but the sheer amount of cutscene footage will probably be the same as previous Metal Gear Solid games. We will just have more game this time around.

Welp! A few things that I wanted to find out for myself were spoiled in what was supposed to be a spoiler free thread. How about those of you that have a question about certain characters or story elements go ask those questions in the spoiler thread hmmmm?

Anyways, the reviews look great, I know all I want to know before playing he game for myself; I'm going to stay out of MGSV threads until then.

Venom Fox

Banned
A french reviewer who hasn't posted his review yet said he refused to rush the game like so many other reviewers and that in his opinion, most reviews complaining about the story being unconclusive and lacking the Kojima moment have simply not seen the true ending.

He says that to get the whole picture, you NEED to listen to tapes and see the actual ending.

He also said that, had he written the review right after the final mission without playing the extra content, the score would have been much lower.
He said he went from being a little disappointed to blown away.

And what did you say when I told you nobody had played the ending?
"Don't assume you know everything from an event you didn't attend". Dude there's a reason I told you that nobody had seen the proper ending.
Edit: As of the other day and when the first review came out.

Top Bottom