• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

Revan

A french reviewer who hasn't posted his review yet said he refused to rush the game like so many other reviewers and that in his opinion, most reviews complaining about the story being unconclusive and lacking the Kojima moment have simply not seen the true ending.

He says that to get the whole picture, you NEED to listen to tapes and see the actual ending.

He also said that, had he written the review right after the final mission without playing the extra content, the score would have been much lower.

He said he went from being a little disappointed to blown away.

This right here has taken my hype level for this game and blasted it into another stratosphere.

Next Tuesday cannot get here fast enough.

Tuck

A french reviewer who hasn't posted his review yet said he refused to rush the game like so many other reviewers and that in his opinion, most reviews complaining about the story being unconclusive and lacking the Kojima moment have simply not seen the true ending.

He says that to get the whole picture, you NEED to listen to tapes and see the actual ending.

He also said that, had he written the review right after the final mission without playing the extra content, the score would have been much lower.
He also mentioned that the true ending not only broke the fourth wall but completely shattered it in his opinion. With an incredibly powerful message to the players.

And what did you say when I told you nobody had played the ending?
"Don't assume you know everything from an event you didn't attend". Dude there's a reason I told you that nobody had seen the proper ending.
Edit: As of the other day and when the first review came out.

The part about the tapes does mirror what Gametrailers said. Kind of annoying to have to collect them, so i hope they aren't too hard to get. But I'll definitely be on the lookout for them as I play.

DevilFox

The only thing that I take out from this news (reviews with scores out and unknown real ending, ffs..) is their lack of competence. Like always. Kudos to those who decided to wait and give it more time.

darthbob

He also mentioned that the true ending not only broke the fourth wall but completely shattered it in his opinion. With an incredibly powerful message to the players.

I hope Kojima comes out and asks Snake "Did you like it?"

INCREDIBLE!

This is going to be the best reviewed game of the year, isn't it? I bet Metacritic ends up 95 or higher :*) 2015 has been such a flop year, with nothing truly outstanding being released on consoles so it's nice to see MGSV is living up to the (and my) hype :)

Looking forward to MGSV raking in all the GOTY awards as well.

2015 a flop year....nothing outstanding on consoles....

Wut

braves01

Banned
The concept of "true" endings really pisses me off, especially when the conditions for getting it aren't entirely clear or are a pain in the ass.

"Don't assume you know everything from an event you didn't attend". Dude there's a reason I told you that nobody had seen the proper ending.

So the criteria for getting the real ending is playing on hard and doing side missions?

SomTervo

I think a few of you are misinterpreting what I said. It seems that once again, the game is going to be overstuffed with exposition.

Where do you get this from?

Several reviewers who loved MGS for the huge cutscenes have said they're disappointed with MGS5 because of the lack of cutscenes

MGS4 was just one reason I wrote the series off completely initially. I don't actually care how they are spread out if I am still going to be forced to watch three Star Wars prequel's worth of cutscenes overall.

You seem to be misunderstanding that Kojima knows how bullshit the quantity of MGS2 and MGS4's cutscenes is, and also that we know he is aiming to rectify that with MGS5. Or at least, they're not as long. MGS2's finale was insane, and MGS4 is insane throughout. Everything we've heard indicates that MGS5 is nothing like either.

MGS4 was literally 'walk through a room - 20 minute cutscene. Walk through a room - 20 minute cutscene'. Except for the two longer bits of Act 2. And the very opening exposition was huge, too. The gameplay is amazing but that stuff is a crock of shit - it's the worst in the series because of it, and Kojima is apparently aware of the backlash surrounding it.

Regarding MGS5:

1. A few other reviewers have noted that, for the first time, MGS5 features gameplay embedded in the cutscenes. Yes, the 'introduction' to MGS5 is apparently an hour long - similar to the older games - but unlike the older games, apparently we'll play quite a lot of it, like a scripted/limited/linear scenario for dramatic impact. Imo this instantly makes the prospect of hour-long cutscenes far more bearable - and more importantly, reveals KojiPro's commitment to actions not words being the focus of cutscenes this time around.

2. There's the fact that it's an open world game with total freedom about when you start missions and how you proceed with them. We know this from Ground Zeroes alone. If you don't want to watch another 10-15 minute cutscene (not even as brutal a prospect as MGS4's 30 minute ones) then just don't start or finish another mission. There's plenty to do just in terms of gameplay. You could do this in GZ and it was glorious, even on that tiny microcosmic scale.

So the criteria for getting the real ending is playing on hard and doing side missions?

Sounds fine to me. Still think how you to get a silver trophy though in MGS4 (the iPod tracks one) was so damn stupid to get, especially since you needed to get the hardest emblem in the game.

Rolodzeo

Are we serious here? That sounds like damage control bullshit at its best to me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
2015 has been such a flop year, with nothing truly outstanding being released on consoles so it's nice to see MGSV is living up to the (and my) hype :)

tumblr_n05nfzFtzl1t97avko1_250.gif

Sounds like he is trying too hard.

SpaceHorror

Did people go into media black outs for this game and then cave when reviews hit? Cause man, I feel like KojiPro have been completely open with the direction they were taking this game. They even released a bite-size version a year ago to prepare everyone.

There are a lot of people expressing shock when every single gameplay video and preview have pointed toward this being Ground Zeroes expanded + Peace Walker.

I understand that this new direction isn't going to appeal to every MGS fan, just don't understand why so many seem surprised.

Personally, as a long time/obsessive fan of the series, I couldn't be more excited.

Sounds fine to me. Still think how you to get a silver trophy though in MGS4 (the iPod tracks one) was so damn stupid to get, especially since you needed to get the hardest emblem in the game.

I had to complete that game 9 times and the Big Boss badge was insanely hard.

But totally worth it

SomTervo

Welp! A few things that I wanted to find out for myself were spoiled in what was supposed to be a spoiler free thread.

How about those of you that have a question about certain characters or story elements go ask those questions in the spoiler thread hmmmm?

Anyways, the reviews look great, I know all I want to know before playing he game for myself; I'm going to stay out of MGSV threads until then.

This.

They drank your spoiler-free milkshake.

Did people go into media black outs for this game and then cave when reviews hit? Cause man, I feel like KojiPro have been completely open with the direction they were taking this game. They even released a bite-size version a year ago to prepare everyone.

There are a lot of people expressing shock when every single gameplay video and preview have pointed toward this being Ground Zeroes expanded + Peace Walker.

I understand that this new direction isn't going to appeal to every MGS fan, just don't understand why so many seem surprised.

Personally, as a long time/obsessive fan of the series, I couldn't be more excited.

Totally. Some people seem surprised by the most well-known/widespread stuff.

Although a handful of people have been posting saying they have genuinely been on total media blackout.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Welp, this sounds like a good game, but with so many good games to go through, this one will have to wait for a price drop. Things sound good, but not what I really want out of the series (or maybe expect). Plus, most of the story being regulated to audio tapes is tired for me. I'm sick and tired of it. Secret ending on top of that which is the real ending? Ain't got time for that.

I'm glad its good, but I'll hold off for awhile. I'll Youtube the ending and play it on the cheap. I was concerned that the preorder numbers for the game were pretty middling, but now I can see why.

Also, review events suck. I never trust reviews written from them.

Arkeband

Banned
Welp, this sounds like a good game, but with so many good games to go through, this one will have to wait for a price drop. Things sound good, but not what I really want out of the series (or maybe expect). Plus, most of the story being regulated to audio tapes is tired for me. I'm sick and tired of it. Secret ending on top of that which is the real ending? Ain't got time for that.

I'm glad its good, but I'll hold off for awhile. I'll Youtube the ending and play it on the cheap. I was concerned that the preorder numbers for the game were pretty middling, but now I can see why.

Also, review events suck. I never trust reviews written from them.

You never trust event reviews, but you take them at face value enough to conclude that the story is all relegated to audio tapes.

Never change, GAF.

un1que

I've done all the games from the original psone mgs to ground zeroes apart from the psp games.

Should I do peacewalker before going through phantom pain?

Is is best to play on vita or PS3?

Can I still do multiplayer?

Do I need to do multiplayer?

Slowdive

Banned

Apparently not:

And he said you DON'T need to replay missions in higher difficulties (for the story content at least).

He compared the story content after the initial ending to MGSV episode 2. ( though not presented the same way)

I've done all the games from the original psone mgs to ground zeroes apart from the psp games.

Should I do peacewalker before going through phantom pain?

Is is best to play on vita or PS3?

Can I still do multiplayer?

Do I need to do multiplayer?

TPP is a direct sequel to PW, so yes play it.

Also, play the PS3 version with "shooter" controls enabled. It's prettier and the shooter control scheme just means you can control the game like MGS4, rather than the original way on the PSP which didn't have a second joystick.

SomTervo

I think a few of you are misinterpreting what I said. It seems that once again, the game is going to be overstuffed with exposition. MGS4 was just one reason I wrote the series off completely initially. I don't actually care how they are spread out if I am still going to be forced to watch three Star Wars prequel's worth of cutscenes overall.

Oh, also. From The Telegraph's review:

These niggles aside, MGSV is a tremendous piece of work and is one of the best anecdote generators I’ve ever played. Perhaps MGSV’s best quality is how in pulling gameplay to the foreground and letting much of the exposition remain optional, it opens it up to be enjoyed by people who have in the past been put off by its weirdness, serving as both the perfect entry point and a satisfying conclusion. MGSV takes the best of a great series and creates a series’ best in the process.

Liha

Banned
Starting in 2 minutes.

We're answering your #MGSV questions at 4pm GMT/8am PT with updates on FOB/in-game purchases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzDATJsW3ow

Gamespot posted an article following the review that the PVP (FOB) mode in MGSV TPP will be restricted behind a micro-transaction paywall and that is simply not true. The FOB mode will be fully accessible at launch and the micro-transaction layer to that specific feature in the game primarily acts as an accelerator. We’ll have more details at launch, but we did try and clear these rumours up when they started circulating during E3. We even addressed this in our official E3 2015 demo when it went live during that show."
http://www.pcgamer.com/mgs-5-the-phantom-pains-multiplayer-is-not-behind-a-paywall/

un1que

TPP is a direct sequel to PW, so yes play it.

Also, play the PS3 version with "shooter" controls enabled. It's prettier and the shooter control scheme just means you can control the game like MGS4, rather than the original way on the PSP which didn't have a second joystick.

Thanks for the advice.

Nice one.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You never trust event reviews, but you take them at face value enough to conclude that the story is all relegated to audio tapes.

Never change, GAF.

I'm not GAF. Also, if you read through the thread, you'll see posters with impressions having access to the game as well who mention tapes are the biggest source of story with cutscenes helping along the way. One can deduce this pretty fucking easily if you read. So, I'm not sure what you're getting at. As to the quality of the game and such? That's what I don't quite trust with these reviews...based at a review event. These people have to slam through the game in order to get as much as they can and are NDA'd and blah blah.

Just grabbing the basic FACTS about the game is easy. Don't be stupid. Scores and quality? Out of a review event? Ain't trusting it.

Also, I'm not GAF.

Watched a little of the KindaFunny Let's Play. Turned it off halfway through. I guess Greg didn't want to spoil what the game looked like. NVG goggles through the whole thing....lol.

Thanks for the advice.

Nice one.

NP! Idk about the multiplayer parts, but I don't think it's required. The game is very friendly to co-op play, though, so it couldn't hurt to play it with a buddy if you can.

Also TPP takes place after GZ but before the first MG. Just wanted to be a little more precise. So cronologically the games go:

MGS3 > PW > GZ > TPP > MG > MG 2 > MGS1 > MGS2 > MGS4

Watched a little of the KindaFunny Let's Play. Turned it off halfway through. I guess Greg didn't want to spoil what the game looked like. NVG goggles through the whole thing....lol.

You should know what TPP looks like by now.

Another MGS getting fantastic reviews? I'm shocked!!!

But honestly i'm glad Kojima went all out with his last one. Game sounds fantastic. I'm so fucking ready.

INCREDIBLE!

This is going to be the best reviewed game of the year, isn't it? I bet Metacritic ends up 95 or higher :*) 2015 has been such a flop year, with nothing truly outstanding being released on consoles so it's nice to see MGSV is living up to the (and my) hype :)

Looking forward to MGSV raking in all the GOTY awards as well.

bTfAO3S.gif

A flop year? With Bloodborne and Witcher 3? You crazy man

SomTervo

Getting it on PS3, hope it's not lacking too many features or anything.

Should be 1:1 with the others, but I'd get ready for potential pop-in and lighting issues, and maybe more bugs if it wasn't optimised/QAd as much.

Also I have a hunch there may be substantial updates/patches to the game down the line, and the PS360 may come out with less substantial changes than the newer-gen versions.

If you're talking about Gameblog/JulienChieze... don't read much into his words.

Top Bottom