• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

Charades usually are humorous.

I'm sure the reviewers would not have minded some more of it, but Kojima is running a little short on time.

Everything they did at the review event was scripted. A little exercise set up by us.

After watching the in-depth stream of Twin Snakes yesterday, I have to say in my opinion it is vastly inferior in every way except graphics, and even graphically it somehow manages to age less gracefully than MGS2 despite being on better hardware.

Honestly it was the first person view that ruined the game it wasnt meant to be played that way a classic case of one step forward two steps back.

Edit: review hype!!! Cant wait for my MGS V Baby Arm Collection to get here....Japan lucky in this case.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I usually ignore audio tapes in games in general... to think that the story of a MGS games relies so heavily on them is a travesty...

Seriously, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the things I'm learning about this game...

Did you ignore all the codec calls in previous games? Those are just forced audio tapes.

Z3M0G

Your frustration is definitely understandable. Did you play Peace Walker? This game is basically Peace Walker Ultra.

I did. It was OK, but didn't hold a candle to the main 4 MGS games. Mostly due to the terrible boss battles, of course. Which I don't expect to repeat in this game...

Zyae

Just to be the contrarian in the room: how did people react to MGS4 on day 1?

I seem to remember it reviewed very well and everyone loved it. Then the initial Kojima madness wore off a little and the opinions started to change.

I don't know, its a remake of MGS1 so for me, on story alone it gets the nod over MGS2's insane ramblings.

The vocal minority doesnt outweigh the majority of people who love the game

Banzai

I usually ignore audio tapes in games in general... to think that the story of a MGS games relies so heavily on them is a travesty...

Seriously, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the things I'm learning about this game...

But they're just an evolution of Codec, which has always been a staple of the series!

I feel like there're enormous amounts of overreaction in this thread.

Here's what I'm thinking about all of the complaints:

-Don't like open world? Justifiable opinion, but you're gonna be on specific missions unless in free roam mode, which will limit your area of operation anyway, making it more similar to ground zeroes type levels. If you didn't like GZ, there's no helping you with this game.

-MIffed about tapes? They're codec you can listen to while playing! All you're missing out on is the moving character portraits (which mgs3 didn't have, either). Pretty much objectively better. You can always just not move while listening to tapes, too.

-not enough story? now there've been plenty of reviews that say the exact opposite so you might wanna wait to make your own opinion instead of freaking out.

Everyone relax...

Looks fantastic. But I can't help but feel that their kissing Kojima's ass since this is his last Metal Gear game. Besides, it didn't look as free flowing as I'd expected it to be.

I've managed to successfully be on a complete media blackout of this game, avoiding so much information, and I couldn't be any happier.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just need to know why the hell Chico had a headphone jack in his freaking chest.

Hearing words (linguistics) are a big part of the game thematically. And in the trailer you see purple shit on a guy's chest. It's likely related.

This isn't taken from the spoiler thread either btw, I am just speculating.

sonto340

Honestly it was the first person view that ruined the game it wasnt meant to be played that way a classic case of one step forward two steps back.

Edit: review hype!!! Cant wait for my MGS V Baby Arm Collection to get here....Japan lucky in this case.
Yeah and peace walker was meant to be played with face buttons to move the camera around but everyone in this thread swears by the HD version.
Twin Snakes is fine. I like the original MGS more, but There's absolutely nothing wrong with Twin Snakes.

Does this have dual-audio?

I don't know if I can Keifer.

On GAF, MGS4 and MGO were like the second coming at the time

JP audio is exclusive to JP and Asian JP versions, on PC you can switch to JP audio if GZ is anything to go by but they are different apps so saves do not share. You can import an HK JP copy if you want, as the HK version contains English subtitles.

But they're just an evolution of Codec, which has always been a staple of the series!

-Don't like open world? Justifiable opinion, but you're gonna be on specific missions unless in free roam mode, which will limit your area of operation anyway, making it more similar to ground zeroes type levels. If you didn't like GZ, there's no helping you with this game.

-MIffed about tapes? They're codec you can listen to while playing! All you're missing out on is the moving character portraits (which mgs3 didn't have, either). Pretty much objectively better. You can always just not move while listening to tapes, too.

-not enough story? now there've been plenty of reviews that say the exact opposite so you might wanna wait to make your own opinion instead of freaking out.

Everyone relax...

Seriously, though. Never mind that people actually have a problem with more gameplay, less story.

SomTervo

Everyone relax...

Nailed it.

So many are drive-bying with their mostly unfounded concerns, though.

Fjordson

Everyone relax...
That's a decent point about the tapes vs. codecs. I'll still miss the fact that the codecs were two-way conversations (and you could get so many funny side stories / easter eggs from codec calls) but I'm not too upset about them.

longdi

Banned
Nailed it.

So many are drive-bying with their mostly unfounded concerns, though.

Pardon me, but i thought codecs were 'in addition' to the story. Like bits of extras and nonchalant tidbits, to make the MGS game world more living-breathing and fun

However the way reviewers spoke of PP tapes, they sounded more congruent to the main story. Certainly that is how i felt about GZ. If i didnt hear Chico's tapes, i won't have known what happened to him and Paz and why Chico is likely Quiet.

Muffdraul

JP audio is exclusive to JP and Asian JP versions, on PC you can switch to JP audio if GZ is anything to go by but they are different apps so saves do not share. You can import an HK JP copy if you want, as the HK version contains English subtitles.

The JP (proper, non-HK) version of Ground Zeroes had the option for all English text, not just subs. I assumed TPP would be the same.

Banzai

That's a decent point about the tapes vs. codecs. I'll still miss the fact that the codecs were two-way conversations (and you could get so many funny side stories / easter eggs from codec calls) but I'm not too upset about them.

I'm preeeetty sure tapes are two way converstations, too. They were in PW and in GZ. They touched on humorous topics as well.
Of course some of them might be monologues.

Reebot

"The only thing I dont like about MGSV is that ot has too much gameplay"?

Sure, why not. This isn't a pack of gum, more isn't always better. Maybe it kills the pacing, maybe it drags on too long, maybe it asks too much time of the player.

You also have to keep in mind MGS's history. Its pretty reasonable to want and expect a story-gameplay split that leans heavily to the former.

Now again, I don't feel this way, so I'm not going to further advocate the position. But its pretty silly to mock a reasonable opinion.

Ishida

Banned
Can we not talk about the travesty that was MGS4, please?

8HkzXCh.png

My job here is done.

3439017-thor-s-gay-hammer-spin-o.gif

Pardon me, but i thought codecs were 'in addition' to the story. Like bits of extras and nonchalant tidbits, to make the MGS game world more living-breathing and fun

However the way reviewers spoke of PP tapes, they sounded more congruent to the main story. Certainly that is how i felt about GZ. If i didnt hear Chico's tapes, i won't have known what happened to him and Paz and why Chico is likely Quiet.

Tapes won't just focus on story. For instance there is a tape that
is literally 30 seconds of a guy shitting his brains out in a porta potty.

I don't think there is cause to worry.

4 players is critizising the boss fights and they claim, they are way inferior to the other mgs games.

What are other reviews saying about this aspect?

Fjordson

I'm preeeetty sure tapes are two way converstations, too. They were in PW and in GZ. They touched on humorous topics as well.
Of course some of them might be monologues.
Well sure, but I meant like live conversations. They're happening as you play the game. It was always a really neat part of the series for me.

KORNdoggy

Everyone relax...

how is a 2 way conversation the same as listening to a tape? one felt very context sensitive. call people up in various situations for various results. plus you got character development of the protagonist due to the conversation including him.

a tape is a much more disconnected and passive means to tell a story and develop character.

Yeah and peace walker was meant to be played with face buttons to move the camera around but everyone in this thread swears by the HD version.
Twin Snakes is fine. I like the original MGS more, but There's absolutely nothing wrong with Twin Snakes.

Mhmm I agree thats why i paid $40 for Twin Snakes.I also should've been more specific in that it was the difficulty especially boss fights that was made far to easy by the first person view.

I honestly thought by now we would've heard atleast a hint of whats in Kojima's future.I just hope if he still continues to make games he stays away from exclusive console releases so all gamers can bask in his uniqueness.

longdi

Banned
Tapes won't just focus on story. For instance there is a tape that
is literally 30 seconds of a guy shitting his brains out in a porta potty.

I don't think there is cause to worry.

That's the thing, codecs didn't really focus on the story, they were mostly fillers.

With tapes, they seemed a higher mix of story with fillers. Hence I'm not sure I want to sit back, with a controller in hand and listen to endless tapes, but I have to for the story

Banzai

Well sure, but I meant like live conversations. They're happening as you play the game. It was always a really neat part of the series for me.
how is a 2 way conversation the same as listening to a tape? one felt very context sensitive. call people up in various situations for various results. plus you got character development of the protagonist due to the conversation including him.

a tape is a much more disconnected and passive means to tell a story and develop character.

Alright, I do see how the conversations happening during the missions would add something to it, fair point.

But the tapes will absolutely include the protagonist and you won't miss out on any context sensitive calls like you would in previous games as you can just listen to the tape whenever.

SomTervo

That's the thing, codecs didn't really focus on the story, they were mostly fillers.

With tapes, they seemed a higher mix of story with fillers. Hence I'm not sure I want to sit back, with a controller in hand and listen to endless tapes, but I have to for the story

Codec convos were definitely important to the story sometimes, but their purpose was backup information and support.

We can look at it like this:

Tapes are now the non-support codec convos

L1 radio support is now the in-field support codec convos

Top Bottom