• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

eso76

-MIffed about tapes? They're codec you can listen to while playing! All you're missing out on is the moving character portraits (which mgs3 didn't have, either). Pretty much objectively better. You can always just not move while listening to tapes, too.

-not enough story? now there've been plenty of reviews that say the exact opposite so you might wanna wait to make your own opinion instead of freaking out.

You can listen to tapes while playing missions ? Didn't know that. Gamechanger.

As for there not being enough story, some reviews talk about lack of story focus, while others do praise story and storytelling. I think the plot revelations and cinematics are just spread much farther apart this time.
Might be a bit too much for me, those playtimes are worrying me. I am not as patient as i once were.

how is a 2 way conversation the same as listening to a tape? one felt very context sensitive. call people up in various situations for various results. plus you got character development of the protagonist due to the conversation including him.

a tape is a much more disconnected and passive means to tell a story and develop character.

Big Boss spoke in many of the tapes in Peace Walker.

SinShep

mgs2_231_8dc.jpg

SomTervo

Pardon me, but i thought codecs were 'in addition' to the story. Like bits of extras and nonchalant tidbits, to make the MGS game world more living-breathing and fun

However the way reviewers spoke of PP tapes, they sounded more congruent to the main story. Certainly that is how i felt about GZ. If i didnt hear Chico's tapes, i won't have known what happened to him and Paz and why Chico is likely Quiet.

... No way man. Have you forgotten Miller in MGS1 turning out to be Liquid via Codec? Half of the revelations in MGS2 by codec?

The codec calls were absolutely important for plot and backstory throughout the series, just like the tapes are in MGSV, to a lesser extent. Then you'll still have plenty of extra-info tapes and the L1 support function for live backup/info.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
That's a decent point about the tapes vs. codecs. I'll still miss the fact that the codecs were two-way conversations (and you could get so many funny side stories / easter eggs from codec calls) but I'm not too upset about them.

I have no doubt that there will be a lot of funny side stories and easter eggs to be found in the cassettes. TPP is basically Peace Walker 2, and that game has a lot of great stuff in the collection of tapes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That's the thing, codecs didn't really focus on the story, they were mostly fillers.

They were also integrated into cutscenes.

how is a 2 way conversation the same as listening to a tape?

I'm guessing you didn't listen to many. They are primarily tapes of two way conversations.

For example (from Peace Walker):

[MILLER]

Scouts are outfitted with camouflage to help them hide. Some of them look kind of weird, like they've got seaweed growing all over them.

[SNAKE]

Ah, ghillie suits.

[MILLER]

Not much difference between them and any other scout in terms of combat ability, but it does make them harder to spot.

[SNAKE]

I'm sure it does.

[MILLER]

You've come across these before?

[SNAKE]

Yeah. The Soviet Union... The first time, it took me a full hour to find the guy and take him out... Kaz, do you know if they shine?

[MILLER]

...Shine. Like how?

[SNAKE]

Like from their heads.

[MILLER]

Their heads?

[SNAKE]

How about their hair? Do they have a lot of it?

[MILLER]

What are you talking about? How the hell would I know?

[SNAKE]

How about a parrot? Did anybody hear a parrot squawk?

[MILLER]

A parrot? Look, Snake, you're talking to the wrong guy. I mean, Cecile's the bird expert... Wait a second, what am I saying? You're not making any sense to begin with!

[SNAKE]

Never mind. It's... a long story. I'll figure out another way. Forget about it.

[MILLER]

Yeah, I'll do that. Anyway, we've already lost too many good people to these surprise encounters. Make sure you don't end up like one of them.

This is just more proof that the reviews for this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Its not about the number tho, its about the content of the reviews. Unlike MGS4, which had two good acts before falling into shit with characters that don't sound like humans, fanwankery, dumbass retcons, boring tailing missions, trash chase sequences, awful close quarters combat, some of the worst TPS combat around, and incredibly self-indulgent cutscenes...all the PP reviews tend to say its the opposite. Like MGS4 being an awful video game has nothing to do with PP being well-received, because they couldn't be more different, game design philosophy wise.

Reebot

But the tapes will absolutely include the protagonist and you won't miss out on any context sensitive calls like you would in previous games as you can just listen to the tape whenever.

You won't miss out because they won't exist, not in the same capacity as before.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
People complaining about missable tapes need to remember a lot of codec was also missable if you weren't constantly spamming Select and calling every member during every little trivial moment.

Now that was tedious.

Some reviews mention optional outfits for Quiet.

Do any of them include a pair of pants?

How dare you sir! Those are standard, military issue tactical suspenders and bikini top. Both cool in the desert and warm in the snow with great ballistic repellant properties.

They are not, repeat NOT, there for pervy fanboy wankism.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
"Unless they agree with my opinion"

That doesn't matter. I read basically every MGS4 review when the game came out and nearly all of them were just page after page of talking about how good the game was while taking bullet points from the new stuff and filling a paragraph about it. Just page after page of fluff. Shame what happened with that and a lot of other games last gen.

Its not about the number tho, its about the content of the reviews. Unlike MGS4, which had two good acts before falling into shit with characters that don't sound like humans, fanwankery, dumbass retcons, boring tailing missions, trash chase sequences, awful close quarters combat, some of the worst TPS combat around, and incredibly self-indulgent cutscenes...all the PP reviews tend to say its the opposite. Like MGS4 being an awful video game has nothing to do with PP being well-received, because they couldn't be more different, game design philosophy wise.

I have no doubt that this game is miles better than MGS4. That isn't hard to do. You are right though, they are saying all the right things.

spekkeh

Banned
I'd calm down with Metacritic if I were you guys. A lot of lower ranking sites will release their reviews later and the score will likely drop to the 92-95 range eventually just like Metal Gear Solid 4, which got 10s from both Gamespot and IGN.

Good reviews thus far, but I'm rather tired of open world games and didn't enjoy Ground Zeroes. Not to mention I don't want to give Konami any of my money therefore I will wait. Definitely not in a rush to play Kojima's last Metal Gear. Besides early reviews are always very positive.

Best wishes.
I had the same idea, keeping it for next year's lull, but now it seems like I have to play this, otherwise my definitive GAF GOTY list might not be definitive.

Curse you GAF!

Yen

People complaining about missable tapes need to remember a lot of codec was also missable if you weren't constantly spamming Select and calling every member during every little trivial moment.

Now that was tedious.
Jack, do you remember what day it is tomorrow?

Banzai

You won't miss out because they won't exist, not in the same capacity as before.

Well, yeah, nothing context sensitive. But in the same vein as you would get a special codec moment with sigint when wearing the box in mgs3, you're gonna get a tape about cardboard boxes in PW. So I feel like not much of value will be lost? I guess, we'll have to see.

Should I pick this up on the PC or the PS4? Usually it would be a no brainier to get it on the PC but after the Batman Fiasco I don't know.

Fardeen

kojima before the game came out said that the game will have many taboos, thats its a risky game, people may not like it etc, does the reviews mention if he actually delivered on that front? also the lack of story or cutscenes worries me a lot, i love all the previous MGS cutscenes :(

Hexagonal

Banned
kojima before the game came out said that the game will have many taboos, thats its a risky game, people may not like it etc, does the reviews mention if he actually delivered on that front? also the lack of story or cutscenes worries me a lot, i love all the previous MGS cutscenes :(

From what I read they handled the taboos pretty well.

artsi

Should I pick this up on the PC or the PS4? Usually it would be a no brainier to get it on the PC but after the Batman Fiasco I don't know.

Ground Zeroes was such a good port that I'd say it's pretty safe to pick PC.
I was going for PS4 first because of MGO and trophies, but went for PC in the end, after considering the pros and cons.

The main issue was that my PS4 was screaming while playing GZ, but PC stayed very quiet. I don't want the noise to mess up any emotional MGS moments, lol.

Also, better graphics and lower price (in my country at least).

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
8HkzXCh.png

My job here is done.

3439017-thor-s-gay-hammer-spin-o.gif

This is just more proof that the reviews for this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Excuse you guys?

MGS4 was fantastic and deserving of all the praise it got. Probably the best game in the series, or at least tied with MGS2 as the best.

Didn't MGS4, if I recall correctly, win GOTY in the neogaf dot com voting TWO separate years?

Mhmmm.
NKq0BiQ.gif

PensOwl

Banned
And just like in Peace Walker, they're one sided.

And you can't fast forward through them or choose who you want to talk to.

But the worst thing about tapes is they turned an iconic feature of metal gear from the beginning of the series into an overused cliche collectible where we're supposed to imagine every conversation ever just happens to be recorded and scattered around this open world.

Fjordson

Excuse you guys?

MGS4 was fantastic and deserving of all the praise it got. Probably the best game in the series, or at least tied with MGS2 as the best.

Didn't MGS4, if I recall correctly, win GOTY in the neogaf dot com voting TWO separate years?

Mhmmm.
NKq0BiQ.gif
Preach

He also has
a stun/lethal knife he carries in his mouth eventually.
Is this a spoiler?
I haven't been following all of the media, so I didn't really know much about DD (or any of the companions other than Quiet). That's awesome :lol

(and nah, not really a spoiler imo, s'all good)

Dmented

Banned

You won't have any issues on PC if GZ is anything to go by and considering it's the same engine... yeah you're good to go getting the PC version.

jesu

I don't know, but I have no doubt they told that (I'm italian and the streaming was in italian).
They also suggested to lose some of your time on costantly upgrading your Mother Base, otherwise later on you will be forced to grind in order to unlock a specific item needed to proceed.

I saw this in the Destructoid review, so it seems true after all.

For starters, a number of levels are uninspired, and force a degree of backtracking, usually for a menial task you've already completed multiple times. This is especially evident later in the game, as it's required to redo some missions with either the "Subsistence," "Extreme," or "Full Stealth" modifiers in tow. The former drops you in with no items or assistance, Extreme ups the amount of damage you take considerably, and the latter ends a mission automatically if you're spotted.

Series regulars will probably remember playing a lot of these higher difficulty levels on their third or fourth optional playthrough, but now they're incorporated into the game itself. I have a feeling these objectives are going to be incredibly polarizing, especially since a few of them took me at least 30 tries to complete.

Ishida

Banned
Excuse you guys?

Mhmmm.
NKq0BiQ.gif

This guy knows what's up.

Top Bottom