• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

Shinjica

A french reviewer who hasn't posted his review yet said he refused to rush the game like so many other reviewers and that in his opinion, most reviews complaining about the story being unconclusive and lacking the Kojima moment have simply not seen the true ending.

He says that to get the whole picture, you NEED to listen to tapes and see the actual ending.

He also said that, had he written the review right after the final mission without playing the extra content, the score would have been much lower.
He said he went from being a little disappointed to blown away.
He also mentioned that the true ending not only broke the fourth wall but completely shattered it in his opinion. With an incredibly powerful message to the players.

And what did you say when I told you nobody had played the ending?
"Don't assume you know everything from an event you didn't attend". Dude there's a reason I told you that nobody had seen the proper ending.
Edit: As of the other day and when the first review came out.

I'm shocked that a so powerful ending is locked behind the true ending and not the original one

I'm planning on this being the only thing I play in September. I've already done MGS:Twin Snakes, MGS3 and watched the Peace Walker Youtube Movie this month, so I'm ready.

I'll be taking my time with it, glad to see its being well reviewed. It's only going to give Kojima even more bargaining power for wherever or whatever he does next.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Are we serious here? That sounds like damage control bullshit at its best to me.

Pointing out that the review event provided severe restrictions on playtime is damage control bullshit?

Tom-Cruise-confused-GIF.gif

Emedan

I'm planning on this being the only thing I play in September. I've already done MGS:Twin Snakes, MGS3 and watched the Peace Walker Youtube Movie this month, so I'm ready.

I'll be taking my time with it, glad to see its being well reviewed. It's only going to give Kojima even more bargaining power for wherever or whatever he does next.

I'm so so sorry :/

I kinda assumed everyone knew.

The idea that this isn't nearly common practice for a lot of reviews isn't surprising either, not in terms of an event, but in terms of having to beat a game the average gamer might take 2-3 weeks to finish in about 4 days or whatever it is. The publishers...gonna be paranoid etc.

Pejo

I was stone cold set on not buying this at release, but after all the hype and positive review scores, I will be there on day 1. Damn you Kojima, you glorious bastard.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm not GAF. Also, if you read through the thread, you'll see posters with impressions having access to the game as well who mention tapes are the biggest source of story with cutscenes helping along the way. One can deduce this pretty fucking easily if you read. So, I'm not sure what you're getting at. As to the quality of the game and such? That's what I don't quite trust with these reviews...based at a review event. These people have to slam through the game in order to get as much as they can and are NDA'd and blah blah.

Just grabbing the basic FACTS about the game is easy. Don't be stupid. Scores and quality? Out of a review event? Ain't trusting it.

Also, I'm not GAF.

You're not GAF, but you're popping up in a review discussion thread to tell us how you're going to YouTube the ending. If that isn't the greatest example of infuriatingly neogaf.gif I don't know what is.

Also people in this thread need to stop quoting the description of the secret/true ending.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
You must have missed Bloodborne And The Witcher 3 then : )

Not a fan of either. Bloodborne is a good game but the hideous artstyle ruins it for me and don't even get me started on The Witcher 3. Most overrated, mediocre game I've seen in ages.

On consoles the only thing of note to release was Splatoon. That would have been my GOTY (on consoles not counting portables) before MGSV came around.

az478XS.gif

ironcreed

Banned
I think I am going to ignore the FOB mode for my first play through. I want to limit how much stuff I have to be placed on timers for and kind of want to just enjoy the story anyway.

Betty

Banned
Not a fan of either. Bloodborne is a good game but the hideous artstyle ruins it for me and don't even get me started on The Witcher 3. Most overrated, mediocre game I've seen in ages.

On consoles the only thing of note to release was Splatoon. That would have been my GOTY (on consoles not counting portables) before MGSV came around.

Yikes, don't agree with you on Bloodborne's artstyle or Witcher 3's mediocrity at all, I thought they were both masterpieces.

But I always felt MGSV was going to beat them.

Venom Fox

Banned
Are we serious here? That sounds like damage control bullshit at its best to me.
It's not. Like I've said before, it's spoiler territory, I'm walking a thin line I do not wish to cross, especially in here. I'm not getting banned for trying to explain something. I'm sure others from the spoiler thread will back me up when I say we won't know how to unlock the ending until September 1st. basically the story doesn't finish when it finishes, there are are questions still left. On September 1st we will find out how to further the story.

And no, this isn't what Greg Miller was talking about when he said
"when Skullfaces story is wrapped up there are other threads of story to complete", what I'm talking about is something different.

wat

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You're not GAF, but you're popping up in a review discussion thread to tell us how you're going to YouTube the ending. If that isn't the greatest example of infuriatingly neogaf.gif I don't know what is.

Also people in this thread need to stop quoting the description of the secret/true ending.

Yeah. I will YT the secret ending if the conditions for it are stupid and not worth my time. That isn't a NeoGAF thing, that's a normal thing in 2015. =P Too many games, not enough time. Deal with it.

Really? Have you played it? I've cooled on the game quite a bit since its release, but I still think it's a great game. It's massive and packed with some quality content.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Charades usually are humorous.

I'm sure the reviewers would not have minded some more of it, but Kojima is running a little short on time.

Everything they did at the review event was scripted. A little exercise set up by us.

I liked Twin Snakes. Its early 2000s way of doing things was ok with me. I thought it'd aged surprisingly well.

Plus it looks a lot better than the PS1 version.

After watching the in-depth stream of Twin Snakes yesterday, I have to say in my opinion it is vastly inferior in every way except graphics, and even graphically it somehow manages to age less gracefully than MGS2 despite being on better hardware.

Rodin

I generally don't care about reviews at all, but i'm glad that a Metal Gear game with a focus on gameplay is getting high praise. I'm sure the story is great too, especially if it lacks the stupid trash moments of 2 and 4. I'm very hyped right now.

Let's make it a 98, Polygon.

Tons of reviews remain. Will we get to *gasp* 99?
It will likely drop back to 95.
Just to be the contrarian in the room: how did people react to MGS4 on day 1?

I seem to remember it reviewed very well and everyone loved it. Then the initial Kojima madness wore off a little and the opinions started to change.
Yup, that's exactly what happened. I feel that the game didn't deserve all that crazy hype and praise and definitely didn't deserve all the crap it got later. It simply was a good but flawed game.

I seem to remember it reviewed very well and everyone loved it. Then the initial Kojima madness wore off a little and the opinions started to change.

After watching the in-depth stream of Twin Snakes yesterday, I have to say in my opinion it is vastly inferior in every way except graphics, and even graphically it somehow manages to age less gracefully than MGS2 despite being on better hardware.

I don't know, its a remake of MGS1 so for me, on story alone it gets the nod over MGS2's insane ramblings.

Everyone. But there were lots of caveats about how much cutscene was in that game that allowed me to read between the lines. This sounds like its mostly gameplay, which is great.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I was going to hold off... Not anymore. Reviews too stronk. I get the irritation about the review event and all that stuff but I'm happy to see reviews this early, I've seen some extremely positive impressions from journalists I feel like I can trust a bit and I can't imagine this game will end up being less than fantastic after pretty much unanimous (albeit, early) critical acclaim. MGS games are always damn good.

This year is turning out to be pretty awesome. MGS, SMM, Fallout, new sports games, Mad Max and others all coming this fall? I'll be in my bunk.

Z3M0G

I usually ignore audio tapes in games in general... to think that the story of a MGS games relies so heavily on them is a travesty...

Seriously, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the things I'm learning about this game...

I'd calm down with Metacritic if I were you guys. A lot of lower ranking sites will release their reviews later and the score will likely drop to the 92-95 range eventually just like Metal Gear Solid 4, which got 10s from both Gamespot and IGN.

Good reviews thus far, but I'm rather tired of open world games and didn't enjoy Ground Zeroes. Not to mention I don't want to give Konami any of my money therefore I will wait. Definitely not in a rush to play Kojima's last Metal Gear. Besides early reviews are always very positive.

Best wishes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

It was very well received. Here the reception has become a little more lukewarm over time, but it's hard to say if that is actually representative of the feelings of the masses.

I do not foresee that happening with MGSV for the simple fact that it has prioritized gameplay so strongly. Maybe the story will be hated by a subset of fans but firstly that hate will come right away rather than after a honeymoon period due to the nature of its storytelling and secondly it lends itself very well to replayability, whereas replaying a game like MGS4 can perhaps make its gameplay design flaws more prominent.

I usually ignore audio tapes in games in general... to think that the story of a MGS games relies so heavily on them is a travesty...

Seriously, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the things I'm learning about this game...

Your frustration is definitely understandable. Did you play Peace Walker? This game is basically Peace Walker Ultra.

Top Bottom