• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with large female fanbases.

Gong

When I first glanced at the thread title, I thought it said "Games with large female faces"

My eyesight is failing.

The games I notice most of my female friends play are the likes of Game of War and the ubiquitous Candy Crush Saga.

Shinypogs

Why are people saying Dragon Age? Because you can make a female avatar and fuck guys?

A large section of the fan artists, fic writers and mod makers I've seen from the Dragon Age fandom are female, same with Mass Effect. Something about how both series appeals to a fairly large amount of women and has created a rather entrenched and loyal female fanbase. Each person may have their own particular reason why they were drawn in. Still, they stay and they contribute to the community in whatever way they can because the games are enjoyable to them and they want to share their feelings with other like minded individuals.

Neff

Anecdotally I think this is a good shout.
Resident evil is also that type of series that garners super fans. Happy to buy the same games repeatedly

There's a bunch of reasons why RE plays well with women. It has a very large and likeable cast of women for one thing, and it doesn't have that male-centric feeling of exclusion that many action titles do.

This survey always came across to me as less like 'asking gamers what they play' and more 'asking anyone what games they can think of'.

Disgraced

OP - are you sure MGS has a large female following? I feel like it is mostly dudes that play MGS.
I'm pretty sure one of the most important parts of Raiden and Big Boss' designs are their varied appeal. Raiden's unrealistic beauty and effeminateness and Snake's killer bod are no accident.

Thre obvious answers are games like FarmVille, Camdy Crush, and true Sims. Females gamers make up the majority of the users for most Zynga games.

White_sox

Minecract seems to be just as popular with my female students as my male students.

The sims is another good answer.

Onivulk

Banned
Ive introduced my girlfriend to a lot of games. So far she loves anything Blizzard-made, The Sims, and Terraria. She wants to try Minecraft but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sengoku Basara has a really big female fanbase in Japan.

latest

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You'll find a lot of women in horror game fan bases. This was true a long time ago, I used to find more women than men to share horror enthusiasm with for niche horror games like Haunting Ground, Dino Crisis, Rule of Rose, etc. This demographic has also grown substantially because of the rise of let's plays and some of the biggest LP'ers being focused on horror games.

DZ_b_EZ

Anything from Nintendo

Cooking Mama

Every dance game

Singstar

Whatever is the most popular MMO

Also Nintendo's handhelds are usually popular

I was going to list out a few, but it's really no great mystery or shock that women play pretty much everything. Many women aren't going to advertise themselves online, but they're there. The unicorn is a myth.

If you look at the responses to the thread, it's almost like we like the same kinds of games as guys do for the most part! It's just like what various sources have been trying to tell you all along.

Yoday

Pretty sure Dragon Age series and Bioware in general has quite the female following.

Much to the chagrin of a very vocal playerbase.
Yes, the female following of Bioware games is huge in my experience. My wife is obsessed with them and gets really into the massive amounts of fan fiction out there. Most of her female friends are also very much into the Bioware games.

From my experience:

The Sims, Sim City, Mario (and it's spinoffs) Sonic, Candy Crush Saga, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, King of Fighters, DDR, Pump it Up and Just Dance.

Shock

Banned
My wife is super hardcore into city builders. Civ, Settlers, Banished etc.

She has been into them for 15+ years and can easily sink 10 hours in one sitting.. I wish I had the dedication.

The demographic breakdown for casual games like Candy Crush and Bejeweled are overwhelmingly female, while core games like Call of Duty are overwhelmingly male:
http://developers.magmic.com/demographic-breakdown-casual-mid-core-hard-core-mobile-gamers/

The audience for Facebook games is also largely female:
http://www.datagenetics.com/blog/december12010/

This article from 2013 suggests that 56% of 3DS owners were female.
http://animalcrossingworld.com/2013...ossing-downloads-demographics-sales-and-more/

I'm seeing a lot of franchises mentioned in this thread that seem completely out of place. I'm curious if the responses are purely anecdotal or if there is any real data that supports some of the responses in this thread. It boggles my mind that games like Dragon Age are being mentioned over obvious choices like FarmVille. This forum is very strict about posting made up sales data, so I'm surprised to see so much randomness when it comes to demographic data.

When it comes to my friends?

Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy
Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Tokimeki Memorial

Most love RPGs. Tried to get them to like Uncharted but they aren't that interested :(

I have never met one female gamer that isn't absolutely in love with assassins creed.

I know life is strange has a huge female fanbase

The demographic breakdown for casual games like Candy Crush and Bejeweled are overwhelmingly female, while core games like Call of Duty are overwhelmingly male:
http://developers.magmic.com/demographic-breakdown-casual-mid-core-hard-core-mobile-gamers/

http://animalcrossingworld.com/2013...ossing-downloads-demographics-sales-and-more/

I'm seeing a lot of franchises mentioned in this thread that seem completely out of place. I'm curious if the responses are purely anecdotal or if there is any real data that supports some of the responses in this thread. It boggles my mind that games like Dragon Age are being mentioned over obvious choices like FarmVille. This forum is very strict about posting made up sales data, so I'm surprised to see so much randomness when it comes to demographic data.

I don't think they're out of place at all, and perhaps it might be better to incorporate our experiences into your perception to temper it a bit? Guys seem to really want to cling to this women only play Candy Crush or Farmville nonsense for some reason. Maybe it's easy to dismiss our experiences as anecdotal, but Bioware did mention back even in 2012 that women are "a group that is quickly approaching half of the gaming audience."(Gaider, Dragon Age franchise writer) You could say that perhaps he's referring to women #s playing games in general, but they're using that info in relation to making their own games, i.e. the audience they're targeting, so there you go.

Melchiah

You'll find a lot of women in horror game fan bases. This was true a long time ago, I used to find more women than men to share horror enthusiasm with for niche horror games like Haunting Ground, Dino Crisis, Rule of Rose, etc. This demographic has also grown substantially because of the rise of let's plays and some of the biggest LP'ers being focused on horror games.

Silent Hill used to be pretty popular among the women in metal circles, and many of them know the series, even if only by its music.

EDIT: Come to think of it, wasn't PT solved first by a woman gamer?

ranmafan

From just what I saw at the Fire Emblem 25th anniversary concert last month, it has a very huge female fanbase. From what I saw I thought probably more than half the audience there was female. It was very nice to see such a diversity in the fanbase for the series.

norog

Laughing so hard at guys who don't believe MGS has a female following. I don't personally know any guys that like MGS. Ladies on the other hand... I'm still in a dream...

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Laughing so hard at guys who don't believe MGS has a female following. I don't personally know any guys that like MGS. Ladies on the other hand... I'm still in a dream...

Yeah I loved the first MGS1 on Playstation 1. I'm fine with Raiden too in MGS2. Mostly because they're both total hunks ;)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Seems odd to me to think of games in male vs. female terms. The women in my life have tastes as diverse as the men. It seems weird to me to think that women in general would be drawn to certain genres. I know fewer women who play games, but their tastes are all over the place.

Tigress

(Edit: I edited this to add the article as I forgot to do so).

Here's an article that mentions there are now more women PC gamers than men PC gamers overall. And that women tend to be the slight majority in RPGs though there are more percentage of men in MMOs and FPS's (66%). And that they represent 40% of digital console players and half of women gamers on PC consider themselves mid to hardcore gamers.

So no, they aren't just all playing farmville. And in fact in some genres they have more percentage represented than males. Also, they are about 1/3 of the FPS/MMO players. Sure, smaller but not near as minority as some people make it out to be (They claim they don't exist or are the rare unicorn.. soemthing I'd say would be more accurate if it was like 10-15% of the players).

There is some data somewhere saying females tend to play more SP games which would also explain why there are less in MMO games and also FPS which tends to have most games these days focus on MP. It's rare to get a pure SP FPS and the ones with MP tend to not give too much attention to the SP campaign. Isn't Battlefield getting rid of SP entirely? And you're seeing more FPS's do that such as Destiny or Titanfall.

So, yes, we are playing more than just mobile games. But some people really want to cling on to this "it's only mobile games females are playing". Because we couldn't possibly be interested in good quality games... (and hell, you can find a few good games in mobile games too, you just gotta look. I really love this helicopter battle sim game for iOS/Android. Only F2P game that ever got me to pay money cause I thought the devs deserved it).

My sister and I played mostly the same stuff growing up. The only thing that's really changed is that she hasn't played any JRPG's in a long time.

I recently got her interested in MGS though because of the Phantom Pain (releasing Sept 1st). Bought her the legacy collection so she could play MGS3 to prepare for it.

We've never done a simultaneous playthrough of the same game before so it should be interesting.

As for fanbases, my experience is that large female fanbases tend to congregate on other sites, you actually have to search for those kinds of things outside of this site if you want to find them. I think people get the idea that women on the internet are rare and thus those who play games are rare as well, which is not true. They are there, just not as visible as men depending on where you frequent and due to potential harassment issues on larger sites.

Top Bottom