• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meeting Random People at College Isn't Always a Good Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkark07

Banned
Blatant anime and game fans really do tend to be the most awkward and lifeskill inept. Back in high school, there was a guy who would run through the hall screaming Captain Falcon quotes if he saw someone he knew. So much cringe

That reminds me of a classmate who ran like he was Sonic.

If you can tell that someone watches anime or plays games just from looking at them they're probably super fucking weird.

Your hobby/entertainment shouldn't be your lifestyle.

All my friends that I know watch anime I found out well well after the fact.

There was a furry in my ~400 person class all four years and he walked around campus with a tail strapped on. His FB was a bunch of really strong and mostly naked humanoid dolphins.

I mean, at a guess hardcore geekiness is often associated with escapism as a lifestyle. Hygiene is just one more real world thing that "doesn't matter"

I don't think it's that it doesn't matter. I literally think they just don't know how bad they smell. You can get desensitized to your own BO pretty easily. There's been times I had a long weekend and worked on the yard, not smelling my own funk, and then my wife telling me I need to hit the shower ASAP.

That GAF thread about not using soap or deodorant is another good sign of this. People literally don't know how awful they smell because they got used to their own stink.

NeonBlack

There was a furry in my ~400 person class all four years and he walked around campus with a tail strapped on. His FB was a bunch of really strong and mostly naked humanoid dolphins.

dont-believe-you.gif

Your trying to tell me he made through all four years without once realizing "maybe this is slightly weird"

Your trying to tell me he made through all four years without once realizing "maybe this is slightly weird"

obviously there are only two potentials: he is a furry who knows he is weird and doesnt care or he is a furry who is oblivious to the world around him.

neither of those is particularly rare in the furry fandom. have you seen their conventions?

Yawnier

Banned
Mostly talking from the perspective of gaming, which also has a fair amount of these kinds of folks.

I've found much better results when you meet someone via a class or acquaintance or something you find out they happen to be a gamer later, as opposed to meeting people/going to venues where the premise is "he/she's a gamer". The former are generally "normal" people who like that as a hobby. The latter tend to be socially stunted people with shitty personalities and questionable odor.

I've found this to be true too.

There was an anime club when I was in HS and I would feel uncomfortable just when walking by it. Some of the characters who would hang out there scared me.

I went to the Anime society at my uni with 2 other friends literally once and we never went back.

"Hentai prince and the stony cat" (some creepy ass high school shit)
"B'toom" (there's like a rape scene 2 eps in WHICH FOCUSES ON THE GIRL'S BREASTS instead of how fucking distressing rape is)
Some weird ass show about a witch and a guy who got turned into a dog and she has a spaceship that look like a giant pair of scissors and she has to wear lingerie to pilot it

And to top it off the society was all watching this off some guy's laptop and his wallpaper was like a little anime girl upskirt pic. Fucking awful.

Fink

Mostly talking from the perspective of gaming, which also has a fair amount of these kinds of folks.

I've found much better results when you meet someone via a class or acquaintance or something you find out they happen to be a gamer later, as opposed to meeting people/going to venues where the premise is "he/she's a gamer". The former are generally "normal" people who like that as a hobby. The latter tend to be socially stunted people with shitty personalities and questionable odor.

It sounds bad but I feel this way too. If I've ever tried to talk to someone new based on the fact they are wearing a video game t-shirt / etc I've almost always regretted it.

Annubis

I went to observe the "gaming" club in college once and I left after never to return.
I understand being a fan of something, but it seems clubs like these really attract those who are passionate to a level that is unhealthy.

Jimrpg

It's two things isn't it? Gamers/nerds in general have really strong views where thru visiting forums and the Internet in general theyre only interested in their own opinion. And because the gaming industry is so wide spread people tend to be different types of gamers.

The other I guess is personal hygiene.

ReiGun

This happened to me once, except with furries ._.

The guy even showed me some of his... Work.

gag*

There was a guy at my school who drew almost nothing but furry art. He'd casually show it to people all the time too. Like no warning or nothing.

MechaX

If you can tell that someone watches anime or plays games just from looking at them they're probably super fucking weird.

This is pretty much how I feel on the subject. I am a pretty fucking huge nerd and a lot of my friends are fucking huge nerds with various stuff (whether it be gaming, anime, novels, etc).

But there is a difference between having a hobby and someone gradually finding out about it, and being like "My name is [x] and I like anime" as the first words out of your mouth or something. I know I'm not expressing this well, but the problem comes up not when them liking this kind of stuff, but when they start basing their entire image of it alone.

213372bu

Banned
As someone who saw another guy's anime shrine, yeah. It might sounds like a shitty thing to do, but just avoid those people, for the better.

I am usually diversified in people I'm friends with, but with the exception of one guy I know who is in to "darker/edgy animes", anyone who broadcasts "anime" or "kawaii" is going to be kinda weird.

Two times I was in a situation where I met some real disgusting people, because to be honest, I watch my fair share of anime regularly.

My friends who publically have held a conversation about anime only watch whatever is on Netflix/DBZ.

It's one of those hobbies where it is a shame you can't just openly talk with an enthusiast without freaking out.

It's like one step below " us gamers" y'know? Except sometimes they have anime shrines and daikamuras which just tip the scale of insta-vom too close for comfort.

akira28

That was actually a paid actor. Your friend was trying to state a subtle intervention. You were supposed to see that man and want to be nothing like him. Instead...in the end, senpai did not find you interesting enough to get to know.

We had this happen at my wife's college.

Her roommates pressured us into watching Fruits Basket
barf
and this random chick walking by yelled out OMIGOD I LOVE THIS SHOW and just barged into the apartment to watch. We later found out she was like thirty five. At the end of her art school career she would wander the halls with her dollfie on her shoulder, staring at people as they walked by.

Thats because those are the ones that revolve their whole lifestyle around this one hobby.

I remember before our chinese class at University, there was a japanese class. Half looked like perfectly normal human beings, the other ones either wore cosplay (at University...) or this Visual Kei Gothic style to a University lecture.

I've found this to be true too.

There was an anime club when I was in HS and I would feel uncomfortable just when walking by it. Some of the characters who would hang out there scared me.

I say it in every thread about the fandom, but from my experience the ones who revolve their lifestyle around this one hobby are also usually the ones that arent knowledgable about this at all.
Its like if people say they really love videogames, have GTA posters all over their room, always have "game nights", but actually just play Fifa, NFS and CoD and dont know more about that.

Part of me wants to get a laugh out of this but honestly I don't think this is that funny when I think about it.

There are different kinds of weird. There is nothing wrong with being different. As opposed to normal. Is "normal" a compliment?

Anime culture tends to attract people with anxiety/depression and autism spectrum disorders.

we're getting a laugh out of disabled people, guys.

Wow OP I had a similar experience.

I like anime enough to watch a few shows a year and what not, so I thought hey, why not check out the anime club.... actually now that I remember it was called the Japanese culture club. I thought I would be able to watch shows and what not with other people. I was literally just an anime club.

That place is a fucking abyss.

It's fine and good to be into your hobby but these people took it to the next level and I 100% was not ready for it lol. I tried, I super tried to join them but... nah could not do it. Even tagged along to an anime convention for a weekend with them since I never gone to one and figured why not, sounds like fun (it was when I was alone lol, ended up playing a first to 20 with a Korean guy in Third Strike at the free to play arcade they set up)

But getting a 3 hour rant about Tohou characters, and not knowing who the fuck they were talking about, check. Awkward anime wallpaper reveal, then showing them that mine is a patlabor under repair criticism, CHECK. Getting a weird lecture from the girl I thought was cute/normal, about the various personalities of Vocaloids, yup... and so forth.

I was a bit overwhelmed to say the least. Nice people, but some people are more into it than I ever appreciated I guess haha.

Mecha

then asks if I saw his wallpaper at any point. I say no, and he said that's good that I didn't see it. He then shows me his wallpaper

He sounds like a classic tsundere to me.

A few days ago I saw some kid walking around campus with a tail and animal ears.

Toparaman

Banned
Part of me wants to get a laugh out of this but honestly I don't think this is that funny when I think about it.

There are different kinds of weird. There is nothing wrong with being different. As opposed to normal. Is "normal" a compliment?

Anime culture tends to attract people with anxiety/depression and autism spectrum disorders.

we're getting a laugh out of disabled people, guys.

Autism/anxiety/depression doesn't give you a free pass to smell bad or be rude. I have (professionally diagnosed) mild autism, for what it's worth. And I realize that people with more severe autism have trouble empathizing with others, but if you're in college and you want to hang out with people, take regular showers and wear deodorant. Obviously there's nothing inherently wrong with being different. And just as obviously, certain social norms are there for a good reason.

People can like the shows they like and the games they like and all that I won't judge anyone for that. The problem is that some people let their hobbies and interests basically define who they are. I've been taking Japanese classes at my community college for the past year and a half, and while just about everyone has an interest in anime and games, generally only one or two out of the 25 in the class really go "overboard" with it.

Camjo-Z

Thankfully I've never known anyone like the creature described in the OP, but some of the folks I met in my high school anime club came pretty close.

The closet I have seen a dude like that was this chubby guy with a beard and some anime looking get up. He had a bandana with some metal symbol piece in the front. I think it was from Naurto or whatever it's called.

I'm sick of this Otaku racism. otakus are a proud people with a long cherished history! we will not be ridiculed! it is the right of every human to love its waifu without discrimination. it says so in the geneva convention!

krrrt

This kind of people are the reason I rarely (if ever) feel the need to even talk about my nerdier interests. But I don't care for people who identify with their weird hobbies, instead of just being their own person, however quirky their passions may be.

yami4ct

Thats because those are the ones that revolve their whole lifestyle around this one hobby.

I definitely think this is a part of it. I'm a pretty nerdy dude, but I have a variety of hobbies and that's definitely helped me meet a variety people and develop actual social skills. Sure, I like watching anime, but I also like music, film, video games, auto racing, model building, reading books, etc. But, on the other hand, I have pretty bad social anxiety and constantly worry about being the guy the OP describes, so I take great pains to care about my hygiene and appearance, so maybe I'm just unique among super nerds.

Personally, I feel like I can only talk to people about my nerdy hobbies with people on the internet. Part of that is just some of them are super obscure and it's nearly impossible to find others with them, but the other part is any people that would go to a club/event for that hobby are not people I'd actually get along with. I'm a huge Transformers figure collector, but the only people I've met that also collect them that I like I've met through other things.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, I'm posting this
I don't even know what to say about that encounter.
Hey there OP it seems like you should learn how to politely make barriers and could work on explaining situations!
Hardcore otaku often don't understand boundaries and thus you must establish them clearly and with authority. The next time you find yourself in this situation it may help to visualize them as a beggar looking for attention instead of change!

Also criticize their tastes and waifus
Wow OP I had a similar experience.

I like anime enough to watch a few shows a year and what not, so I thought hey, why not check out the anime club.... actually now that I remember it was called the Japanese culture club. I thought I would be able to watch shows and what not with other people. I was literally just an anime club.

That place is a fucking abyss.
Too bad it's not JAVclub
cocky.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom