• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 6 - official JP site open, screenshots, art

BlackJace

That's true. I would love to see Phoenix using evidence to combat a spirit medium to save the defendants. I don't see that happening though, especially if Maya comes back for more than a single case. Of course we know so little it's be silly to write the game off. I'm just expressing a bit of concern based on what they've said and shown so far.

I know, that's why I think it'd be a regression if they went back to having Phoenix get help from the dead.

Nothing wrong with blasts from the past, but I get your point. I really do like Hix's speculation though. A theme of the natural vs. supernatural would be dope.

Zalman

I find it hilarious how they're introducing an important character that looks like Maya in a setting about spirits yet it's not Maya

FluxWaveZ

You say you want the game to feel "fresh", and I get that, but they can still switch up the mechanics without having to completely get rid of the supernatural, as again, it's always been there.
Maya could've shown up with or without a heavy supernatural theme, it just makes a lot of damn sense to do so with her (likely) reintroduction as the Master of Kurain Village.

It hasn't "always been there." It wasn't in AA4. It wasn't in AA5. AA1-3 was about that, but future games don't have to be. Introducing mystical elements doesn't have to seemingly revolve around most of a game, but it can be contained to a single case.

Even AA5 felt fresh upon its reveal (mainly due to the jump in graphics). AA6 isn't giving me any of the feelings of the reveals of previous games. It almost feels like a spin-off within the mainline games, which is a very weird feeling.

Again, we know very little about the game, so discussing one way or the other about what it could be becomes baseless, at some point. They've said they want to subvert the fans' expectations in a good way, so it could be totally different than how it presents itself right now. But, as others, right now I am not straight up optimistic about this.

A theme of the natural vs. supernatural would be dope.

But, again, that's literally what PLvsPW was about. I don't want it to feel redundant, and that's why I'm concerned because that was the basis of PLvsPW's entire courtroom segments.

BlackJace

It hasn't "always been there." It wasn't in AA4. It wasn't in AA5. AA1-3 was about that, but future games don't have to be. Introducing mystical elements doesn't have to seemingly revolve around most of a game, but it can be contained to a single case.

Even AA5 felt fresh upon its reveal (mainly due to the jump in graphics). AA6 isn't giving me any of the feelings of the reveals of previous games. It almost feels like a spin-off within the mainline games, which is a very weird feeling.

Again, we know very little about the game, so discussing one way or the other about what it could be becomes baseless, at some point. They've said they want to subvert the fans' expectations in a good way, so it could be totally different than how it presents itself right now. But, as others, right now I am not straight up optimistic about this.

But, again, that's literally what PLvsPW was about. I don't want it to feel redundant, and that's why I'm concerned because that was the basis of PLvsPW's entire courtroom segments.

Magatamas and psychelocks were most certainly in 4.

And this whole concern with redundancy is also weird if you were perfectly fine with 3 (4 depending on how you look at it) games in a row dealing with the same theme.

dumbyugi

Magatamas and psychelocks were in 4 and 5. Apollo's power is kind of supernatural as well.

Crisium

I liked how AA5 had 3 attorneys that each got some time, even if the time wasn't fairly distributed. Don't get rid of Athena after one game, and let us play some Apollo again.

I wish they'd touch on Apollo Justice plot threads instead of more spirit stuff.

Like how we get no mention of the Jurist System, or Trucy and Apollo's relation, or even their mother?

But you know what, throw in some Ghost Trick references and/or cameos and I'll call it good.

again with the spirit medium stuff? That's why i wanted more great ace attorney instead of this!

At least it was new and different!

I will still play it and probably enjoy it a lot, but man, stop with the medium child already!

But i'm really curious to see the new procuror, can't wait for the TGS trailer

Rozart

I'm really hoping that Maya might be back in this game. Spirits. Looks like Kurain. And there's even a Magatama staff.

oti

Banned
Not feeling the court room. All those spirit things I could do without to be honest. They could go to Ancient Greece for another court system although I have NP idea how to incorporate that in a game.

GSR

Slightly oversaturated creenshots from Japanese game sites:

yLXlJh3.jpg
zRfObOO.jpg
MOW1LpZ.jpg
N9469r5.jpg
Rfrow1P.jpg
8gdCRPN.jpg
doHl1Ur.jpg
5UaUMjP.jpg
8IxFqGQ.jpg
dWqv8fw.jpg

Verelios

****! *** ******!!!

...guess we're going straight for the supernatural gimmicks again. Not that there's anything wrong with it but I can't feel excited getting turnabouts with minigames.

Can't wait, and I'm down with the supernatural theme. I just hope it heralds Maya's long-awaited return. It makes absolutely no sense that she's almost not even mentioned in AA 4 and 5 after being one of the main characters in the first three games.

EDIT: It does seem strange that Apollo and Trucy seem to be absent, considering how they went all in on their stories in AA 4 and 5. Wonder if they're really not going to be around for this game. Athena, too... I wonder if they're just going to pretend like she didn't exist?

I don't mind supernatural stuff as long as the crimes aren't done by spirits or something, I mean, supernatural stuff is real in the AA universe so it being present in newer games is only (super)natural.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Now that the landfill where all those ET carts had been buried has finally been emptied, I have an idea where the Phoenix Wright series could go next!

We bury that fucker Apollo in that landfill and forget he ever existed!

Yomidi

Looks good. I love the soldier with the big ass gun.
I admit that I always found the supernatural stuff the weakest part of the series, so I hope they don't go to overboard with the supernatural stuff.

FluxWaveZ

Magatamas and psychelocks were most certainly in 4.

And this whole concern with redundancy is also weird if you were perfectly fine with 3 (4 depending on how you look at it) games in a row dealing with the same theme.

Magatamas and psychelocks were in 4 and 5. Apollo's power is kind of supernatural as well.

I think I should be clearer: I'm fine with those elements in AA. What I'm less fine about is the game being all about that. Those were elements in 4 and 5 for sure, but they weren't a focus like they were in AA1-3.

I don't have a problem with "super powers" in AA. I was fine with Athena's Widget conceptually (although the execution is another story).

I was fine with it for 3 games because they were the first 3 AA games. They followed a clear arc; it was the start of the series and had a clear end. I don't need to see a return to it. And, apparently, I'm definitely not alone on this.

VegiHam

I know, that's why I think it'd be a regression if they went back to having Phoenix get help from the dead.
I'm actually expecting the opposite of this. A court system which convicts based on channelling the dead guy and saying 'yo who done it?'
'Oh obviously it was my neighbour, who else would've done me in?'
'Okay! Execute the neighbour!'
Phoenix Wright has to step in and say 'OBJECTION! I have evidence that your neighbour cannot be the killer'
'OMG wow such logic much turnabout'

...something like that anyway.

Rfrow1P.jpg

So these armed guards are the only characters we haven't seen wearing Magatamas.
That's interesting. Are they perhaps occupying this spiritual community? Not from around here, the military of another nation? Is this Ace Attorney Tibet?

The thing I'm confused about is the trilogy status of 4-6. Will they really be a trilogy, or is 4 the outlier and 5-7 will become a trilogy? Maybe they're not interested in doing an overarching plot any more and they'll focus on more self-contained stories. Phoenix going to a different country for what seems like the majority of the game doesn't feel like it ties in with either AA4 or 5 and I don't know where they could take it with AA7. I guess it's too early to say though.

Wouldn't she be in her early 20's, given that she was somewhere between 17-19 in previous Ace Attorney games?

There's a 7 year gap between AA3 and AA4. Besides that, each main game takes place the year after the previous one.

If that girl supplants older Maya as the new assistant, and all feels like Kurain Village, the game, I dont know if I will be hyped enough to play the game, at least near release. Aprt from the ending of PW3, everything about kurain and mythcal villages is meh enducing for me, they are usually the worst parts of the games.

They are also probably going to say this place is somewhere near the Tibet.

Phoenix Wright looks TICKED OFF in the official art.

Seriously, he has such an upsetting look on his face.

He is fed up on not finding Maya.

It has to be for getting Maya back in the game, it has to! I want to believe.

Lets hope, using apostrophes there is a good sign they are trying to hide her.

Interesting setting.
Not very.. American from the looks of it. Needs more hamburgers.
Oh he travels to a foreign country. Sure.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not feeling the court room. All those spirit things I could do without to be honest. They could go to Ancient Greece for another court system although I have NP idea how to incorporate that in a game.

I loved the supernatural aspects they added in with LaytonVSAA, I somehow hope that they'll keep somethins similar here (as for the multiple characters investigated during the interrogation they kept for the Great ace attorney)

MrBadger

Wow, this game looks way more Japanese than DGS. Also it's funny how both Ace Attorney teams seem to be taking inspiration from Layton VS Wright, since this game is set in a world without lawyers where they use magic to get verdicts. Also, there's no way Maya won't be in this.

FluxWaveZ

The thing I'm confused about is the trilogy status of 4-6. Will they really be a trilogy, or is 4 the outlier and 5-7 will become a trilogy? Maybe they're not interested in doing an overarching plot any more and they'll focus on more self-contained stories. Phoenix going to a different country for what seems like the majority of the game doesn't feel like it ties in with either AA4 or 5 and I don't know where they could take it with AA7. I guess it's too early to say though.

It's hard to tell. So far, it seems like AA4 was definitely its own isolated thing and didn't really branch out into a larger narrative, which is fine. I can't think of much they could work with going from AA5 to do the same as they did with the original trilogy; the thing that stands out to me is the final boss.

But yeah, too early. I'm sure Athena and Apollo will factor into the story, even if this mainly revolves around Wright again.

Wow, this game looks way more Japanese than DGS. Also it's funny how both Ace Attorney teams seem to be taking inspiration from Layton VS Wright, since this game is set in a world without lawyers where they use magic to get verdicts. Also, there's no way Maya won't be in this.

Was way more interested in an expansion of the Mob Cross Examination system than the magic... I did like the spell book in PLvsPW, but AA6 would really be going off the deep end if it had an analog of that.

And guys, Maya's going to be in it. It's obvious.

I'm always up for a change of setting, so hopefully this has apparent differences from Kurain village, and maybe the Water Mirror will make up for the lack of a jury system.

Santar

I don't really like that they went the Phoenix is the best lwayer of all time thing.
A main character doesn't ened to be a superhero, what was wrong with just being a normal good lwayer? (yes I know he wins all the cases we play).
I really hope the new girl isn't the new assistant and Maya just shows up at the end or soemthing like that.
Would be such a wasted oppurtunity to not have Maya be the assistant again.

Top Bottom