• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Blablurn

Konami has ceased all triple-A console game production on everything but Pro Evolution Soccer and there are currently no plans for a big new Metal Gear game, while worldwide technology directr Julien Merceron has left the company. That's according to a pair of reports on French site Gameblog. Eurogamer understands both reports to be true.

Gameblog wrote yesterday that Merceron was apparently unhappy with Konami's transition away from the console market towards mobile games.

Beyond Metal Gear Online - the separate online component to Metal Gear Solid 5 that is currently being finished - and Pro Evolution Soccer 2016, Konami has a blank triple-A slate. It does however have the licence to the football tournament Euro 2016, so we'd expect it to make use of that.

Problems at Konami were highlighted earlier in the year when Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima left the company and his Kojima Productions studio was dissolved. He had reportedly fallen out with Konami's big bosses who refused to bankroll his long and lavish productions any longer. Metal Gear Solid 5 reportedly cost $80m to make. Any new Metal Gear Solid game Konami produces will presumably be made without Kojima involved.

Further problems at Konami were highlighted when respected financial Japanese newspaper Nikkei ran an article about a deteriorating company culture at Konami's game division. Employees "deemed useless" were apparently given menial and degrading tasks, and communication with outsiders was restricted and lunch breaks monitored.

What comes next for Konami, and for Kojima, we'll have to wait and see.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...le-a-console-production-on-all-but-pes-report

Jawmuncher

If they do still give a small damn, maybe we'll see remasters and digital rereleases.
In a better quality than Silent Hill Collection HD of course.

Someone could perhaps buy the MGS IP.

If nintendo were allowed to buy it, that would mean snake back in smash.

Someone could perhaps buy the MGS IP.

That would cost far more money than I think anyone would be willing to pay.

They should just Capcom it up though and rerelease all their old games on PC and current gen. I'd buy them if they were good quality.

Jimrpg

Aside from MGS and PES what else have they done in the last 2 or 3 years. Can't say I'm going to miss them.

Hanmik

and the crowds are cheering

wurIRqX.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
heh

falling for another ruse

another obvious kojima ruse

heh

"v has come 2" just you wait ;)

Kezen

Banned
That would cost far more money than I think anyone would be willing to pay.

They should just Capcom it up though and rerelease all their old games on PC and current gen. I'd buy them if they were good quality.

Nah that's saved for Pachinko and Konami is too proud to sell their IP's.

But what's the point of owning such an IP and not doing anything ambitious with it ? I don't really get it.

I'm sure it must not be cheap but the IP is extremely valuable, if Konami are short on cash it would be a wise move.

Hektor

Dear Konami,

Now please sell the Foxengine and the Silent Hill IP to Kojima and Del Toro,

thxkbye XOXOXOXO,
Hektor

At the least they should milk their old IPs for rereleases like sega and capcom are doing. Knowing that these fuckheads can't even do that right is so infuriating

Konami was one of my favorite developers back in the day, but considering how things have been going this shouldn't come as a shocker to any one.

But they would be goddamn idiots if they didn't contract another developer to make something (hopefully another MGS game) with the Fox Engine.

• Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Roar
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD

Mivey

Nah that's saved for Pachinko and Konami is too proud to sell their IP's.
Nah, it's just a question of price. As long as Konami is still doing fine financially, that price is going to be far to high for anyone willing to buy. So, if you want Konami to sell them, you should hope they are doing really bad in the near future and have to sell their IPs to keep themselves afloat.

Boke1879

Anyone thinking they were making a new MGS game after all this were kidding themselves. They only said that for damage control.

MGS will most likely be something on mobile to they can monetize the hell out of it

bigol

sörine;179229053 said:
I don't expect PES to last much longer as a AAA console production either.

If they continue to gimp it every year like they did last years Pes will die. Gameplay is great, the rest never been good since years.

Thanks KONAMI and your focus to mobile games

roytheone

giphy.gif

Not surprised by this one bit. I do wonder if they are now going to try to license out things like the fox engine and the MGS name.

Top Bottom