• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

The Star Fox conversations aren't specific to certain fighters. They're not going to re-record all new guidances for new comers in Smash 5.

Considering how negligible the changes to any returning stage have been, I'd find it easier to believe that they'd simply forgo recording new conversations entirely and only have unique conversations for the characters already in 4; with everyone else getting the DLC characters' placeholder.

instead of codecs snake will listen to a tape in which he is briefed on the character he's encountering

Which could only be listened to in the menus, and would duck down to an inaudible whisper whenever the cursor is moved, the announcer says anything, or an icon is selected. Maybe it should be a one-time use thing, as well?

SaikyoBro

Do you guys really care that much about the guidances? I'm obsessed with the game, and even I've only seen a few of them in-game. I've probably used the non-Omega form of Palutena's Temple five times in the last year.

Frankly I didn't like them. Chrom's was kind of funny on the grounds that it's a character outside of Kid Icarus being acknowledged but that's about it (and that doesn't hold a candle to Slippy and Snake's conversation from the last game). They're pretty forgettable and definitely a big step down from the MGS codec calls from Brawl, not the kind of writing we saw in Uprising at all.

I would like to see the DLC characters get them at some point just because the inconsistency bugs me a little bit but I don't care enough to make an argument out of it.

The Great Cave Offensive is my most played Wii U stage. :)

I like the universe and music Snake brought to Smash. The Metal Gear series balances the line between serious and silly, and that sort of thing works well in Smash.

As incredible as Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu translated to Smash, Snake remains my favorite third-party addition just for that unique air he brought.

Richie

What?!? No they don't.

Go back and compare the two; the Guidances generally have a much higher quality to them. The problem with the Brawl codecs is that the voice acting on the MGS characters were atrocious (actually the voice acting in Brawl sucked in general; the voice director was really bad, haha) and the writing is nowhere near as charming as the original MGS series. I didn't notice at first, but after having actually played through the MGS series, it's super jarring.

The guidances have better voice acting, better writing and more personality. To name a few, Robin's, Ganondorf, Doctor Mario, Luigi are all super fun and memorable. The Brawl codecs generally miss the mark and rely on cheap MGS jokes (instead of going for the obvious Liquid Snake parallel/reference Luigi codec, they make a random La Le Li Lo Lu reference).

We'll have to agree to disagree, my man. I found the Guidances not only a step down from the Codecs, but also from Kid Icarus' Uprising writing. If you had a jarring sensation when comparing the Codecs with Metal Gear's scripts (which I may as well have someday, I've yet to play MGS), I had the very same when going from the entertaining Uprising to these unremarkable Guidances. Palutena is nowhere near the level reached in the 3DS game. Viridi survives the transition mostly intact, but the writing just isn't on the level this time around.

You take points off the Codecs for relying on cheap MGS jokes; even if amusing sometimes, several Guidances rely on cheap memetic references. The Codecs brought a neat outsider's perspective to them, it was pretty cool seeing the mostly wacky Nintendo cast through more sensible lens. There was even an opportunity to let things be more serious, like with Lucas' Codec.

Not to mention the Guidance's gameplay tips; the Codecs were better for ignoring them off altogether. I lost count of how many times Palutena told me I could reflect stuff with Down B.

Ultimately, it's a matter of preferences. Viridi is in good shape in these Guidances (I love she expressing interest in Link, or tossing ether Peach and Chrom's way) and some of them do end up memorable, but they pale in comparison to Uprising's script, which itself wasn't the end-all of comedy, but definitely better than these. I found the Codecs much more consistent and entertaining.

Dr. Buni

We're definitely getting another stage.
We don't know that...
Do you guys really care that much about the guidances? I'm obsessed with the game, and even I've only seen a few of them in-game. I've probably used the non-Omega form of Palutena's Temple five times in the last year.
Not really, especially since the KIU dialogues are very hit or miss. Sometimes the character say some funny stuff, but other times...
Omegas are just a bad/boring band-aid solution to fixing stages, it hurts my local play for smash, so much so that EVERY stage that isn't an omega form, even the more legal stages like Battlefield, Final Destination (how is that banned, I dunno), Smashville, can't they just play something else besides a flat platform?
Speak for yourself, I like the omega stages.

Zubz

Banned
Omegas are just a bad/boring band-aid solution to fixing stages, it hurts my local play for smash, so much so that EVERY stage that isn't an omega form, even the more legal stages like Battlefield, Final Destination (how is that banned, I dunno), Smashville, can't they just play something else besides a flat platform?

I agree; it'd be nice to have varied stages that lack random elements. I wish they'd just add a hazard toggle that'd, say, remove the Yellow Devil from Wily Castle so it just has the crazy Mega Man platforms. Personally, I'd like to play Smash without some intrusive hazard ruining the gameplay, so the option would be more than appreciated. It's gotten to the point where the place that hosts local tournaments use Castle Siege (As well as Delfino and Halberd) as counterpicks to make things interesting.

As for the bolded, it's because of the background. I personally like that they made Final Destination a spectacle, but some find the meteors flying toward the screen/the part where the screen goes white distracting (I actually thought they added hazards to Final Destination the first time I played it). I think Omega Mode keeps the background static, but if anyone in my tournament scene goes Omega, they'll just pick Orbital Gate or the Boxing Ring.

Adding one stage to the servers doesn't take an hour and a half. Adding one character took an hour, adding two stages and tournament mode took twenty minutes.

Adding three stages, one of which used new server calls, and three characters, however, took an hour and a half.

This maintenance is an hour and a half.

Looking at it, adding characters is what increases the time. Despite the last DLC having an entire new mode for the server to handle, the DLC was up in 20 minutes. Mewtwo took the entire hour, give or take. And the three E3 characters took awhile to add.

Just saying...

kirby_fox

Banned
Adding one stage to the servers doesn't take an hour and a half. Adding one character took an hour, adding two stages and tournament mode took twenty minutes.

Adding three stages, one of which used new server calls, and three characters, however, took an hour and a half.

Looking at it, adding characters is what increases the time. Despite the last DLC having an entire new mode for the server to handle, the DLC was up in 20 minutes. Mewtwo took the entire hour, give or take. And the three E3 characters took awhile to add.

Just saying...

Everybody start hyping up your fave 2 veterans and a newcomer along with 2 more stages.

I'll go with Wolf, Pichu and Isaac. With a couple new stages based on SF:Zero and Hanenbow.

Ryce

It's already September 29 in Japan, so if we don't hear something in the next 24 hours then the Mario Maker stage is all we're getting.

I'm not the type to whine or feel entitled, but it's been a long time since the last DLC characters were released. I really feel like the DLC scheduling could have been handled better -- we got Mewtwo in April, three characters two months later... and nothing since then. I almost wish Roy was held back for an August release to maintain some consistency. The last few months have been boring.

I've convinced myself that they're trying to surprise us with characters at the last minute due to Ryu and Roy being leaked months in advance. Sakurai was probably devastated.

Zubz

Banned

Just saying...

Yes, but look at how that mode turned out. Mario Maker is a randomized stage, so it's going to be more complex then a couple of 16 year old stages with 16 year old graphics; maybe they just want to make sure that it works online without spawning some downright-unplayable stages, or something?

Listen, I know we all want more content, but we were past the point of no return last night. We were probably supposed to get more with this update, but I feel that the rest of this update's content got delayed, and will be discussed in an October Direct.

PK Gaming

We'll have to agree to disagree, my man. I found the Guidances not only a step down from the Codecs, but also from Kid Icarus' Uprising writing. If you had a jarring sensation when comparing the Codecs with Metal Gear's scripts (which I may as well have someday, I've yet to play MGS), I had the very same when going from the entertaining Uprising to these unremarkable Guidances. Palutena is nowhere near the level reached in the 3DS game. Viridi survives the transition mostly intact, but the writing just isn't on the level this time around.

You take points off the Codecs for relying on cheap MGS jokes; even if amusing sometimes, several Guidances rely on cheap memetic references. The Codecs brought a neat outsider's perspective to them, it was pretty cool seeing the mostly wacky Nintendo cast through more sensible lens. There was even an opportunity to let things be more serious, like with Lucas' Codec.

Not to mention the Guidance's gameplay tips; the Codecs were better for ignoring them off altogether. I lost count of how many times Palutena told me I could reflect stuff with Down B.

Ultimately, it's a matter of preferences. Viridi is in good shape in these Guidances (I love she expressing interest in Link, or tossing ether Peach and Chrom's way) and some of them do end up memorable, but given the Uprising pedigree, the writing there left to be desired. I found the Codecs much more consistent and entertaining.

Yeah, the writing in the Guidances for SSB4 were a definite step down from the writing that was present in KI:U, but even so, I still found them to be entertaining in their own way. Even if they didn't come close to reaching the highs of KI:U, I really like how they handled them (and they did their best, given the superb writers behind KI:U's script presumably had nothing to do with them). Like you pointed out, Viridi still manages to be star and even though Palutena dialogue is nowhere near as snappy, she still has a handful of good moments. I get where you're coming from though. The "outsider lens" is a huge selling point, and some of them are pretty good (like Lucas's). My issue with them comes down to execution.

The Brawl codecs are reminiscent of MGS boss battle codecs; you get a brief rundown of the opponents abilities, and some banter between Snake and Colonel/Otacon/etc and insight on the opponent's backstory. The problem with them is that they tend to be dry (ie: Donkey Kong, Ganondorf) or strive for comedic references to MGS games while falling flat (ie: Yoshi). And again, it doesn't help that the voice acting on the MGS characters are bad. I definitely liked them more before I played MGS, so your mileage might change if you ever get into the franchise.

I also prefer the battle assessments in the Guidances. They're both off base, but the Guidances are generally more accurate (like Viridi's comment about avoiding Donkey's Kong attacks, rather than shielding or the Robin assessment). The constant references to Down-B was a definite turn off though, haha.

Yes, but look at how that mode turned out. Mario Maker is a randomized stage, so it's going to be more complex then a couple of 16 year old stages with 16 year old graphics; maybe they just want to make sure that it works online without spawning some downright-unplayable stages, or something?

Listen, I know we all want more content, but we were past the point of no return last night. We were probably supposed to get more with this update, but I feel that the rest of this update's content got delayed, and will be discussed in an October Direct.

The server doesn't care how complex a stage is. It's just loading a map file, so the complexity of the actual stage wouldn't add to server downtime.

I mean, they've literally announced two characters and two stages minutes before releasing them, but I guess we can go ahead with this Smash DLC is doomed pessimistic stuff.

Javier

Smash 5 will have no codecs and no guidances.

Instead we'll get Inkopolis News. Callie will make a lame joke about a character and then Marie will make a witty comeback.

If nothing gets announced, I hope the game has a surprise announcement when we install the update then. I can see Sakurai keeping a release of something a secret by any means necessary.

Please let there be a direct, I've been waiting for a presentation for too long.

Ryce

I mean, they've literally announced two characters and two stages minutes before releasing them, but I guess we can go ahead with this Smash DLC is doomed pessimistic stuff.
You're missing the point -- they were announced minutes before their release, but the presentation was teased nearly a week in advance. We've never been in a situation where DLC was suddenly made available without warning. It's possible, but it hasn't happened yet. There's legitimate reason for concern at this point.

You're missing the point -- they were announced minutes before their release, but the presentation was teased nearly a week in advance. We've never been in a situation where DLC was suddenly made available without warning. It's possible, but it hasn't happened yet. There's legitimate reason for concern at this point.

Mewtwo's Direct was announced the afternoon before...

Please don't do this to yourself Ballad.

As a consumer of Valve update hype, I'm quite used to it.

kirby_fox

Banned

Where in the world did this thought train come from? Not had a direct since E3, they've dated everything and released all sorts of information through press releases and new video promotions they chose to do. I'd not hold my breath for one.

You're missing the point -- they were announced minutes before their release, but the presentation was teased nearly a week in advance.

And the SMM stage was randomly tweeted. Why do we need an announcement of an announcement?

jph139

We're probably beyond the point of no return on characters but a stage or two? Possible. "Hey, Pirate Ship is back!" wouldn't exactly set the world on fire, whether they announce it a week in advance or the morning of.

Ryce

Something hasn't happened before therefore it will never happen = SmashGAF logic
I never said it wouldn't happen -- it just isn't looking good based on the history of previous announcements. I said a few posts ago that I'm giving myself another 24 hours before letting my hype die completely.

I never said it wouldn't happen -- it just isn't looking good based on the history of previous announcements. I said a few posts ago that I'm giving myself another 24 hours before letting my hype die completely.

We don't really know how they'll announce a DLC character without a Direct. That situation hasn't ever happened before.

Ryce

We don't really know how they'll announce a DLC character without a Direct. That situation hasn't ever happened before.
I would imagine something similar to the Robin approach: "tune in to smashbros.com on X date at Y time for the next DLC character announcement!" I don't know, but I'm sure we'd get some kind of warning. Too much work goes into a DLC character for it to be announced under the radar.

kirby_fox

Banned
The bigger question is, what time does the stage go live in Japan?

We can then pinpoint a likely time of no return for additional content, unless it is randomly dropped without announcement (which, would be a first for Nintendo DLC but not completely unlike them to do and then immediately tweet that it's available NOW).

Zubz

Banned
fovuBu0.gif

Guys, please... You're only hurting yourselves at this point.

Where in the world did this thought train come from? Not had a direct since E3, they've dated everything and released all sorts of information through press releases and new video promotions they chose to do. I'd not hold my breath for one.

It's just a guess, albeit one I think is far more likely than a character reveal just dropping on Twitter. We haven't had a Direct since E3, but that one job listing Nintendo had a couple of months ago proved that they plan on continuing Directs. They took a break after Iwata's passing, but their return is inevitable. Seeing how the holiday season is approaching, I'm sure they have one in the works as we speak.

I also feel a Direct would be the best place to announce a character. Last update just revealed stuff via Twitter, but a Flying Man costume isn't exactly trailer-worthy. However, a character getting a trailer makes sense, and a Direct is nothing but trailers and promos. Again, it's just speculation about a Direct, but I'm certain they'd rather not just drop a character trailer on YouTube with no fanfare, and at this point, there's not enough time to promote a trailer like they did with the Robin reveal if we were getting anything more on Wednesday.

The bigger question is, what time does the stage go live in Japan?

We can then pinpoint a likely time of no return for additional content, unless it is randomly dropped without announcement (which, would be a first for Nintendo DLC but not completely unlike them to do and then immediately tweet that it's available NOW).

From 2:30pm until 4pm

So sometime around 4pm in Japan or so the DLC will go live.

The "point of no return" would probably be noon on the 30th in Japan, so late afternoon/early evening tomorrow (for Americans).

Missed out on some more Ice Climbers talk, but let me say

The idea that bringing back a solo Ice Climber (4 Popo alts and 4 Nana alts) being "not worth it" is, like, completely fucking baffling to me.

Okay, I get it. Not having the duo would be disappointing. But I mean, where in the actual hell does the logic come from that it's better their entire universe and moveset get ripped from Smash for a game than to make a concession with their playstyle? That it's better for them to "sit this one out"? What?

I guess since Olimar can't have six Pikmin (he wasn't downgraded to three for any reason except 3DS) then he should just sit this one out until Smash 5? I guess since PT can't switch Pokémon then none of the Pokémon should return until Smash 5? Both of these characters had fun gameplay hooks (imo, just get rid of the stamina mechanic on PT and it's perfect) that were gutted so they could stay in the game.

Guys, there's not even a guarantee that Sakurai will be the one making Smash 5, or that Smash 5 will be coming sometime soon. Why would you say it's best for a character to sit one out? I can tell by the way most people here campaign for characters we all understand the severity of that "now or never" mind set that swirls around character inclusion.

Basically, solo Popo and Nana would be amazing. Duo Ice Climbers would be amazing. I can say as a fan of the character and the universe, having them back as playable in any capacity would be amazing and I can't imagine wanting to just wait until next time.

Anyways sorry and let me display my hype by saying:

- Wolf
- Popo/Nana

- Super Mario Maker
- Summit (Brawl)

- Various Mii Costumes

JazzmanZ

Just saying...

Yea like that maintenance update that was clearly going to be about Shovel Knight cuz it was at prime time eh?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I already saw all Guidances when we got the game. After that, I would use it if I got Pit and Palutena's Temple.

I'm pretty sure that my friends and I actually play on that stage more than 50 times or so.

My friends and I are more addicted to Great Offensive Cave because of different knock out system where we have to play differently.

I already saw all Guidances when we got the game. After that, I would use it if I got Pit and Palutena's Temple.

I'm pretty sure that my friends and I actually play on that stage more than 50 times or so.

My friends and I are more addicted to Great Offensive Cave because of different knock out system where we have to play differently.

Same, I actually love the big stages in Smash 4. It helps that Great Cave Offensive has some rad songs

kirby_fox

Banned
I also feel a Direct would be the best place to announce a character. Last update just revealed stuff via Twitter, but a Flying Man costume isn't exactly trailer-worthy. However, a character getting a trailer makes sense, and a Direct is nothing but trailers and promos. Again, it's just speculation about a Direct, but I'm certain they'd rather not just drop a character trailer on YouTube with no fanfare, and at this point, there's not enough time to promote a trailer like they did with the Robin reveal if we were getting anything more on Wednesday.

Except they have nothing to show this holiday season that hasn't already been shown, or can be done a different way to create the marketing for it like a Direct has. That job posting has me thinking Iwata may have handled it personally, and that's why they are hiring someone new to take over while going about announcing things with press releases and off-hand comments (Pikmin 4).

The problem I think is that they had a plan in place and that plan has since been thrown out, so they're just flying by and doing whatever they can for online marketing and media presence giving it to individual teams. We know Sakurai has wanted to surprise people, and all his surprises have been leaked for the most part...I see no reason not to think he could easily pull a fast one just for the sake of surprise since it's yet to leak.

They were just likely lucky to not have the image for stage4 online.

From 2:30pm until 4pm

So sometime around 4pm in Japan or so the DLC will go live.

The "point of no return" would probably be noon on the 30th in Japan, so late afternoon/early evening tomorrow (for Americans).

If it hits midnight on the east coast (1 PM Japan time) and there's nothing announced, then I'd say it's over
or we're getting a free character that shows up randomly after updating. Snake sneaks in!
We could get a randomly available now, but the last time they tried that people found Roy/Ryu on the servers.

Dr. Buni

If they were going to include a second character from the first Xenoblade Chronicles, that would be the one. It would be a pretty big spoiler, but that never stopped Sheik.
Yeah, she is pretty much the second most important character in the game next to Shulk, for a number of reasons. I wouldn't mind her being playable, but I don't think it's ever happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom