• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater review thread

DryvBy

Wasn't this suppose to be a mobile game before it went to consoles?

If so, there's your problem Activision.

Hasney

Fair enough.

Has anybody expressed interest in Skate at EA? What happened to the studio behind the series? I had a ton of fun with the first one.

Studio is shut down.

Skate 3 keeps popping back into the UK charts thanks to PewDiePie's videos. If they can get a competent developer behind it, they should just give it to him to promote and watch the sales tumble in.

Hasney

Hey guys what if Robomodo made Sk4te?

choking.gif

EDIT: for some reason, that reminded me I actually played the Tony hawk Ride abortion and made a thread that was broken more than THPS5.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759407

Mechazawa

ehhhhh it's ok, and no one wants a 2D skateboarding game when they say they want a new THPS or Skate. It's more of a platformer with skateboards than a skateboarding game imo.

While I agree with your general sentiment, calling OlliOlli a platformer is lol.

It's very much a trick based score attack game.

Novocaine

A real shame that such a beloved franchise could go out on such a bad note. There's no way they're making another one right?

Hip Hop

A real shame that such a beloved franchise could go out on such a bad note. There's no way they're making another one right?

I doubt it, so at this point all we have is the Skate series. I hope EA gets to it one day and realizes how necessary a new game is.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Finished before it even started.

Anyone who pays for this game should go take a good long hard look at themselves. Activision deserve to make a huge loss on this.

Reading some of the reviews commenting on how it can feel like classic Tony Hawk and it can result in moments of fun only makes it worse, to think that without all the glitches, it could have been a decent game.

Maybe they will fix it and if they do I might pick it up cheap but I think the damage has been done now. Hopefully someone else will pick up the licence when it expires and treat this once great series with some respect.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ. Activision, what the hell were you thinking

Cronee

This is almost E.T. the Extraterrestrial level of failure.

Anyone know a good place to dump large quantities of unwanted garbage? Activision might appreciate the heads up.

CanaryRob

I know it makes little business sense to do so, but it smacks of damaging the brand so no-one else would dare to pick it up crossed with a shameless cash grab.

Also no Superman on the OST, the game was destined to fail.

bounchfx

they literally shit on the franchises grave

there's hope for future skateboard games, but I wouldn't hold my breath for one from activision ever again

but I can kinda see tony hawk shopping around wanting to redeem his name from this garbage

Louis010

Banned
So a friend of mine ordered this last night for next day delivery. He said he can't wait to play a th game again, I tried to express it wasn't the same developer making it and that the game is a hot turd.

He isn't having any of it because he "loved the old pro skaters" "never gonna listen to anyone else's opinion until I've played it myself" "I've watched people playing it already and it looks great" "And plus it's tony Hawks fucking pro skater!!! Childhood game"

Its sad that this game will sell pretty well exactly because of people like this, just because it says "Tony Hawk's"

Raide

I know it makes little business sense to do so, but it smacks of damaging the brand so no-one else would dare to pick it up crossed with a shameless cash grab.

Also no Superman on the OST, the game was destined to fail.

That could massively backfire on them. People could be so desperate for the return to form of the Tony Hawk games that as soon as someone Kickstarter's a new TH game, people will drop millions to see it happen.

There is a legacy to the TH games that Activision just shit on. They could have made an awesome game, make a load of cash and leave it at that.

I hope someone grabs TH and does it justice since Activision is so in love with spewing out CoD and draining Destiny players of money, they clearly have no creative rom to make other interesting games.

Nope. People have found that this is the final year of the contract that Activision had with Tony Hawk. There's no way that they're going to resign him given that they allowed something as horrible to be released under the one Tony Hawk brand that was near flawless up till this point

LaIaNMH.png

otUJCBN.png

rdUCWcJ.png

TlQFs9e.jpg

I dunno guys, I think it could still turn out good,

In order to match the average rating of 95 for the previous four games, it needs to get 68 consecutive perfect scores.

[ 27 + 27 + 27 + 27 + 27 + (68*100) ] / 73 = 95

That is exactly 2x as many perfect scores as all of the first four games combined received.

Steroyd

Eurogamer said:
Why, when Activision has seemingly taken so much care and attention with its elegant revival of Guitar Hero? Why, when Activision has supported Bungie's triumphant overhaul of Destiny? This is a publisher that cares deeply about its marquee titles - after all, its bets are placed on perilously few of them. Seemingly, it comes down to a simple contractual obligation. The Tony Hawks license runs out at the end of the year. The game had to be ready for its deadline, even if wasn't ready for its deadline. It's an explanation that goes some way to absolve the development team, who no doubt gave their all and worked as hard as they could within the time that was available. Regardless, to charge full price for a game that is so clearly ramshackle is scandalous. Not even the glitches can save Tony Hawks 5. They are too narrow in range to sustain our interest. A skater disappearing in dry concrete is funny the first time. But the joke wears pretty thin when it's repeated this often, especially when it comes at such a high price for everyone involved.

Wow this is just depressing perspective on things, especially when you consider this.

Activision has announced that Tony Hawk, the star of its successful Pro Skater series of skateboarding games, has signed an exclusive multiyear video game licensing agreement that doesn't expire until 2015. The professional skateboarder has been working with Activision since 1998, and the first game in the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series was released for the PlayStation in 1999. As of March 31 this year, the franchise had reportedly generated around $500 million worldwide, so it's not surprising that Activision is keen to keep the star of its Activision O2 label on board.

Gamespot 2002

Wait... generated $500m before the extension was signed.

Activision will spend $500 million--half a billion dollars--on development and marketing for Bungie's upcoming "shared-world" shooter, Destiny. CEO Bobby Kotick revealed the figure during the Milken conference recently, as reported by Reuters.

So that's where the Tony Hawks development money went!!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
In order to match the average rating of 95 for the previous four games, it needs to get 68 consecutive perfect scores.

[ 27 + 27 + 27 + 27 + 27 + (68*100) ] / 73 = 95

That is exactly 2x as many perfect scores as all of the first four games combined received.

Well BioGamer Girl has yet to weigh in. You never know.

Bgamer90

Banned
Says who? Most hardcore THPS players say 4 and THUG are the best in the series.

By hardcore I mean those dudes that do one combo on the whole level for 5 minutes, not just people who like skating.

Yep. I spent hundreds of hours playing both of those games online on my PS2.

I sort of enjoy creating long combos in THPS5 but the game is terrible.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What a way to send off a franchise that was very lucrative for Activision. I hope they eat the majority of copies they printed.

Says who? Most hardcore THPS players say 4 and THUG are the best in the series.

By hardcore I mean those dudes that do one combo on the whole level for 5 minutes, not just people who like skating.

I was never "hardcore" into them, but yeah, 4 was definitely my favorite. Probably a couple hundred hours of my teenage years spent on that game. Great stages.

I was thinking about this game yesterday and I really felt the urge to play a Tony Hawk game. But like this? No way.
Sorry if I'm being ignorant or something but is there any good (3D) Skateboard game on PS4? I'm new to playstation...

KAP151

Robomodo have pretty much sealed their own fates when it comes to console development you would think. The once revered Tony Hawk name is now firmly in the mud with 4 poor games back to back. Consumers are rightfully pissed at paying for a 60 dollar "game". What a mess for everyone. Well, everyone but Activision.

Top Bottom