• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater review thread

viHuGi

Banned
jpqn1Pi.png

No

holly....

Remember, THPS 3 and 4 are on PC (not sure about 1 and 2). Just play those. Any toaster can run that at its maximum resolution. Also there's a widescreen patch for 4 (it just unlocks the widescreen option that's already available on PS2 / gamecube) and I think 3 as well.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is also on PC, and includes the Warehouse, Chicago, and Downhill Jam levels from the first game. It's based on the PlayStation version instead of the enhanced Dreamcast and Xbox versions, though, for those who might be hoping for enhanced graphics.

There's also Underground 1 and 2, and American Wasteland. Underground 2 has a THUG Pro mod that adds levels from the other games, among other things.

MUnited83

For you.
Here's a curious thing

If the TH license is expiring this year...

won't that mean the game will be coming off the PS Store/XBL store because Activision will no longer own the rights to the TH franchise and be able to keep it up under their name (and of course will then be under no obligations to fix any bugs if they don't by the time the license expires)?

Just a thought, it may only be up on the stores for another 2 - 3 months if this is the case. And all Activision has to do is keep quiet mostly and they could get away with this without fixing anything.

That's exactly what will happen, but even if the license didn't end they would be under no obligations to fix it anyways. This shit will forever remain broken no matter how you slice it.

I won't understand how releasing such a broken game is a business decision Activision considered as the best option.

I mean that's as close as telling the customer to buy a sack of shit for 60$ and be satisfied with it.

gossi

I won't understand how releasing such a broken game is a business decision Activision considered as the best option.

I mean that's as close as telling the customer to buy a sack of shit for 60$ and be satisfied with it.

Although it's being said they had the contract 'til the end of 2015, I think the contract actually runs DURING 2015. As in, it expires sometime this year - not the end of the year.

Nope, the PC version doesn't include those levels. There are hacks/mods for that though.

They are: http://tonyhawkgames.wikia.com/wiki/Tony_Hawk's_Pro_Skater_2

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/10/24/tony-hawks-pro-skater-2-4

"One especially nice addition, though -- it's great that Activision opted to include some of the tracks from TH1, since most PC gamers haven't had a chance to experience the first game. Thanks, big corporation. We appreciate the ability to manual on the Phoenix downhill park."

Stuart444

That's exactly what will happen, but even if the license didn't end they would be under no obligations to fix it anyways. This shit will forever remain broken no matter how you slice it.

Heh, true enough.

THUG1 and 2 were my last TH games. THPS3 was probably my favourite though followed by THUG1 (and then THUG2/THPS4 tied for 3rd place for me)

In my professional opinion, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 can fuck off.

Hahaha, oh man, I love Jim Sterling. This is just awful though. I used to love this series, kind of sucks it went to shit like this :/

Nope. People have found that this is the final year of the contract that Activision had with Tony Hawk. There's no way that they're going to resign him given that they allowed something as horrible to be released under the one Tony Hawk brand that was near flawless up till this point

LaIaNMH.png

otUJCBN.png

rdUCWcJ.png

TlQFs9e.jpg

This is what I wanted to see.

Is this the biggest fall from grace ever?

Alienous

Even more tragic is how passionate Tony Hawk is about his gaming franchise.

Give him 3 years and he'd probably learn how to code, model, animate and make a better game.

Even more tragic is how passionate Tony Hawk is about his gaming franchise.

Give him 3 years and he'd probably learn how to code, model, animate and make a better game.

I guess Hawk is mostly passionate about making money.
He sold all the recent shit games of the franchise (Shred, Ride whatever) as the greatest game ever made. I doubt that he's actually interested in making a good game.

Alienous

He sold all the recent shit games of the franchise (Shred, Ride whatever) as the greatest game ever made. I doubt that he's actually interested in making a good game.

Shit, maybe.

I always took his enthusiasm as genuine, but heck, he's getting a cut, he has a reason to try to get sales.

Yeah, he does the same thing with mobile games, shit assessory games...

God dammit, he tricked me.

CHC

Wow that is BAD.

The pre-release material was comical in and of itself though, so this isn't really a surprise. Just more sad than anything. Fond memories of THPS2 in my friend's basement bedroom - those times are long gone.

NekoFever

In order to match the average rating of 95 for the previous four games, it needs to get 68 consecutive perfect scores.

[ 27 + 27 + 27 + 27 + 27 + (68*100) ] / 73 = 95

That is exactly 2x as many perfect scores as all of the first four games combined received.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Goron2000

best junior ever
I imagine it's part of the contract he signed that he would do interviews when a game is releasing, I doubt he knew he would be shovelling shit back when he signed the contract in 2002.

Hip Hop

I mean, maybe he is passionate about the games themselves. He's got nowhere else to go, pretty much whatever Activision wants to do is what he has to ride with.

Nope. People have found that this is the final year of the contract that Activision had with Tony Hawk. There's no way that they're going to resign him given that they allowed something as horrible to be released under the one Tony Hawk brand that was near flawless up till this point

LaIaNMH.png

otUJCBN.png

rdUCWcJ.png

TlQFs9e.jpg

"Flawless" because they haven't used that "brand" (the words Pro Skater) for 13 years. However, there have been nearly 13 years of crappy Tony Hawk games. I still don't understand how this is a surprise to anyone.

gossi

I imagine it's part of the contract he signed that he would do interviews when a game is releasing, I doubt he knew he would be shovelling shit back when he signed the contract in 2002.

The contract he signed almost certainly said he's not allowed to say anything negative about the games during the publicity phase. That is how these things work. You are paid to represent the brand, and you just have to hope the product is good otherwise you're polishing shit with words.

xrnzaaas

I wonder who's idea it was to let Robomodo make a main THPS considering the 2 new installments they made were both critical and financial failures.

Tony Hawk: Ride

"Having the lowest ratings and worst sales for a Tony Hawk game, Ride debuted to negative critical and commercial reception. It has been widely criticized by video game critics as the worst of the series. It also failed to meet financial predictions, and led to a severe financial drop that risked cancellation of future Tony Hawk games."

Tony Hawk: Shred

"During its first week on sale in the United States, the game sold 3,000 copies; combined with the negative reception, the Tony Hawk franchise was put on hold."

Yeah that studio would totally be my choice for making a main game in the series.

But weren't those awful sales caused by bundling the games with skateboard controllers? So I wouldn't say that a "normal" sequel would be totally unjustified.

Linkyn

You know, if there's a silver lining to all this, I think it's that Devil's Third isn't the worst-received profile game this year, anymore.

Venture

I mean, maybe he is passionate about the games themselves. He's got nowhere else to go, pretty much whatever Activision wants to do is what he has to ride with.
If you're making a deal for a product that's literally named after you it would be really stupid not to have some form of approval. His name, initially at least, was the main selling point so you'd think he would have considerable leverage when negotiating the deal.

SomTervo

Shit, maybe.

I always took his enthusiasm as genuine, but heck, he's getting a cut, he has a reason to try to get sales.

Yeah, he does the same thing with mobile games, shit assessory games...

God dammit, he tricked me.

Sorry, dude. He's always been a salesman, through and through, nothing more.

Random 'zany' phrases that have little relevance are actually why I can't stand people with his type of humor.

OT: Ride to Hell is still the lowest rated full priced retail champion, correct?

Yeah, I had to respond to that comment, too. Jim Sterling's opinions and politics are on-point and well articulated, but his style is not great, just eccentric.

Gurish

27 MC... When was the last time a 60$ retail game got such MC?? I think I didn't see such average for years.

Top Bottom