• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater review thread

trash.png

I dont understand, who was asking for a sequel?

You know, I'd be totally down for a GOOD Tony Hawk game. Those things approach timelessness (I still have THPS2 on Dreamcast). However once it came out that this was being done by Robomodo, all the air went out of the room, then combusted into flame.

Aaron

Can't wait to buy a fully patched copy of this game for $5 in a few months
You'll still get shit levels, and shit tasks to do. Core gameplay is all right, but everything around it is so awkward and badly thought out that any of the other non-Robomoto games are a better experience.

Hawk SE

Skimming through that you seemed to give the game a lot of breaks for it's numerous issues, which you do go into to. You enjoyed the gameplay though so it makes sense. At least it's your honest feelings on the game even if it differs from most others.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Hawk SE

It's your opinion and a well written review, and I'm glad you had some fun, but you gave the game way too much slack. All this review did was tell me I should be wary of your recommendations.

Thank you, and I understand your hesitation. I also get that one review from me may be all you need, but I'd recommend seeing my others. If you have the time/energy/willingness to do so.

Trace

Banned
I'm not sure who is worse. Robomodo for making this piece of trash, or Activision for allowing it to be sold.

antitrop

Robomodo is still making shitty games and Raven, Neversoft and others became CoD code monkeys...think about it.
I'm sure the Neversoft guys are very happy to be working on such a successful franchise instead of just being closed down after Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

Same with Raven, as sad as it is that they just make CoD map packs, they really could have just been completely shut down after Singularity bombed so hard. They got hit with a ton of layoffs, but existing at all is still a net plus.

Stimpack

Did anyone bother taking a look at what Robomodo has done in the past, prior to the launch of this game? Because it kind of looks par for the course, yeah?

I'm sure the Neversoft guys are very happy to be working on such a successful franchise instead of just being closed down after Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

Same with Raven, as sad as it is that they just make CoD map packs, they really could have just been completely shut down after Singularity bombed so hard. They got hit with a ton of layoffs, but existing at all is still a net plus.

Damn shame, that Singularity. It wasn't that bad.

antitrop

Did anyone bother taking a look at what Robomodo has done in the past, prior to the launch of this game? Because it kind of looks par for the course, yeah?
Yes, we all knew this was going to suck. There were a few people here and there that insisted THPSHD wasn't that bad, but almost everyone expected this.

It's glitchier and buggier than people may have expected, because it's hard to see that coming, but the core structure of the game being fucked was apparent from day 1.

Damn shame, that Singularity. It wasn't that bad.

I did my part for $60, it was pretty solid. I liked Raven a lot, that Wolverine game was the tits and Wolfenstein wasn't bad, either. Oh well.

Stimpack

Yes, we all knew this was going to suck. There were a few people here and there that insisted THPSHD wasn't that bad, but almost everyone expected this.

Ah, I hadn't been paying attention to any of the threads prior to release. All I know is that the reviewers I follow were all ...well, foolishly hoping for better.

If the core old Tony Hawk Neversoft team made a KS skate based game, they would be enjoying the indie freedom life.

antitrop

If the core old Tony Hawk Neversoft team made a KS skate based game, they would be enjoying the indie freedom life.

Maybe they feel like 7 years of skateboarding games and 4 years of plastic guitar games was enough and now they actually like doing something as different as an FPS? Especially one that provides job security like CoD does. I dunno, just hypothesizing, but it seems reasonable.

I know that its a terrible thing to just write off a developer as being bad just because of one game, but they had four shots at an established franchise, three of which are held as being the biggest jokes in modern video games. Hd was abad game but not really punchline worthy like Ride, Shred and THPS5 i guess. How do they stay alive as developer? Are they one of those studios that works on random Activision products like CoD porting or something?

Maybe they feel like 7 years of skateboarding games and 4 years of plastic guitar games was enough and now they actually like doing something as different as an FPS? Especially one that provides job security like CoD does. I dunno, just hypothesizing, but it seems reasonable.

Well, I guess that's one possibility, but I'm just saying that there are much more talented studios wasted doing gruntwork on other people games, while Robomodo is making poo, Activision is grabbing it and launching it at our faces.

Neversoft guys might prefer be just henchmen under IW rule or work and create their own games even if the IP is not that attractive.

One thing is for sure, we players (and TH fans) are losing with this situation.

antitrop

I know that its a terrible thing to just write off a developer as being bad just because of one game, but they had four shots at an established franchise, three of which are held as being the biggest jokes in modern video games. Hd was abad game but not really punchline worthy like Ride, Shred and THPS5 i guess. How do they stay alive as developer? Are they one of those studios that works on random Activision products like CoD porting or something?

They're an independent developer.

They take a few small contracts here and there in between their Tony Hawk disasters, like they did a shitty Hunger Games endless runner for mobile, etc.

They're an independent developer.

They take a few small contracts here and there in between their Tony Hawk disasters, like they did a shitty Hunger Games endless runner for mobile, etc.

So just straight up, their a terrible developer. Its not like that reflects them as people, but maybe someone should shift the focus of the studio and maybe hire some new staff because its kind of become embarrassing.

So just straight up, their a terrible developer. Its not like that reflects them as people, but maybe someone should shift the focus of the studio and maybe hire some new staff because its kind of become embarrassing.

It probably isn't even that they're bad. They're probably working on spec, so basically they're contracted to complete a game in X time with Y budget. X and Y generally being less than needed to make a great game. They're not complete idiots, so I'm sure they're aware of the problems with the game. They just didn't have the time or money to fix them. Sometimes developers do projects like this while trying to save money or find funding for a larger project that's representative of their interests and passions, sometimes they just do work-for-hire for their entire careers.

Bedlam

SSX semi-ruined by EA, now Activision and Robomodo kill Skateboard games for the next decade or two.

*sigh*

antitrop

SSX semi-ruined by EA, now Activision and Robomodo kill Skateboard games for the next decade or two.

*sigh*

I'm imaging how fucking sick the snow effects of a current-gen SSX would look and it makes me sad.

SSX Tricky 2. Now is the time.

Bsigg12

You can hate on Activision, but be aware that the format holders signed off on this too, the royalties and released it.

Platform holders don't care what your game is as long as it's not going to hit an AO rating and it doesn't brick consoles or tear down online services. The quality of the product has nothing to do with the platform holders, it's entirely on the publisher and developer.

I do still think theres room for a current generation Skate game. That game developed a mainstream following much like the THPS games did back in the day, but then just disappeared. Which is good, because it didn't overstay its welcome.

Alo0oy

Banned
You can hate on Activision, but be aware that the format holders signed off on this too, the royalties and released it.

We want platform holders to stop/censor games now? I frankly want them to be even less hands-on with the games than they are right now & just allow the games to be released on their platform but rated appropriately, but I know that's never going to happen.

And that everyone, is the legacy of Tony Hawks. This is how it ended. From being considered the greatest PS1, even beating MGS1, FFVII and Gran Turismo, to one of the worst sports games ever.
/Hacktivision

Top Bottom