• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater review thread

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
High Voltage
Iron Galaxy
Robomodo

Dat Chicago game development scene.

Give iron galaxy a break. They're a really small team (7 people, I think) and have already proven that they're capable of putting out good games/solid ports when given enough time and money to do so.

I'm not fully up to date on the Arkham knight saga, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading that they were only given around 4 months to do the port, and Warner brothers alone is responsible for forcing it out to market in the state it was in.

"Flawless" because they haven't used that "brand" (the words Pro Skater) for 13 years. However, there have been nearly 13 years of crappy Tony Hawk games. I still don't understand how this is a surprise to anyone.

What's surprising isn't that it's bad, it's that it's somehow worse than THPS HD. It's like Robomodo took nothing from the criticism they received over that aside from slightly tweaking the physics. Instead of just making sure that the physics were perfect, they went and started trying to implement their own mechanics. And that just ruined everything. I don't get why they didn't just bring in some old THPS fans and let them test the game out. I'm sure every one of them would've told them that auto-wallriding and the stomp button had to go.

I just don't get how you can fuck up this series that badly. It's not like the classic games were complicated as we saw people during the PSone days ripping off the mechanics and putting them into other extreme sports games like Aggressive Inline and Mat Hoffman BMX.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Their HD entry was abysmal and a huge disappointment. I'm not touching this title even if it's free. Fuck Robomodo and Activision.

High Voltage
Iron Galaxy
Robomodo

Dat Chicago game development scene.

Behind each of those names is a team of people that worked god damn hard to release these games. There's so many more factors than just the people developing. Time constraints and budget constraints are the reason for these games being sub par. Not the actual people at these developers. Blame the publishers, not the developers where there's people like you and me who are just as annoyed and disillusioned by the releases as we are.

Hasney

Behind each of those names is a team of people that worked god damn hard to release these games. There's so many more factors than just the people developing. Time constraints and budget constraints are the reason for these games being sub par. Not the actual people at these developers. Blame the publishers, not the developers where there's people like you and me who are just as annoyed and disillusioned by the releases as we are.

I think the heads of the studios as well. It's likely that they are the lowest bidder on a lot of these projects.

Roshin

I won't understand how releasing such a broken game is a business decision Activision considered as the best option.

I mean that's as close as telling the customer to buy a sack of shit for 60$ and be satisfied with it.

"Hey guys. I'm not defending this sack of shit or anything, but remember that people worked hard on this."

blackjaw

"Hey guys. I'm not defending this sack of shit or anything, but remember that people worked hard on this."

"I know the cake is made of pure horse shit, but don't forget the baker that worked all night making it and the icer that drew those beautiful patterns and flowers in it to make it look like it's not really horse shit. Eat up!"

dmr87

tK6b.jpg

Syntsui

Give me a break, Iron Galaxy has proven that they can make something with quality, the other two teams have proved that they are absolut incompetent and should change careers. They have ZERO projects worth a damn.

Suppose this would be the best place to post my review.

Yes mate I think you've posted it in every single Tony Hawk thread now.

Cheat Code Central 1.5/5

What the fuck is the point of a 5-point scale if you're giving half-points? Just score out of 10 you idiots.

Also, question. Has there ever been a game before which has looked bad in every single instance from its very announcement? Obviously there are games which turned out bad but generally they look fine and preview okay all the way up to the reviews and then... disaster! Tony Hawk though, the first batch of screenshots were horrific, and every video and screenshot released afterwards was equally bad or worse, and then the game - to no-one's surprise - ended up terrible. I'm just wondering if there's ever been such a clusterfuck in gaming before, like, at literally no point during development did anyone realistically expect this game to be even okay.

Ape

Banned
Watched a guy play it on twitch and I started laughed when he said "fuck you, tony hawk." After the game fucked up a grind

Valkrai

The metacritic page for this game is sad. Somehow lower than Ride and Shred, how is that possible?

The highest Robomodo ever scored was a 68 for HD which still isn't acceptable considering how well acclaimed the series was.

Edit: Also those astroturfed reviews.

Sjefen

Seemed like Tony Hawk trusted Robomodo to deliver the game
HUGE MISTAKE
:

How involved have you been with the latest game? What made you guys want to go back to basics with the Pro Skater name?
I wanted to be authentic to the series so I've been very concerned about that… and as it's now being developed by Robomodo, and not Neversoft [Now defunct studio Neversoft started out on the franchise, before moving on to Guitar Hero following Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground in 2007] , there's been a bit of a learning curve. But they worked on THPS HD [2012’s PS3/360/PC remake of the first THPS game], and they knew what to improve on and so it wasn't that difficult. To be honest, it's really small nuances, like, I want the revert to be on R2 rather than R1, and we could babble on about that for a while – it's just things like that.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/...pro-skater-5-hands-on-and-tony-hawk-interview

Tamanator

I think the heads of the studios as well. It's likely that they are the lowest bidder on a lot of these projects.

They take what they can get to keep their staff employed. I think it is reasons such as those detailed above, higher development costs and shorter dev cycles which have really killed off the breed of independent developers that do contract work for bigger publishers. The development scene is really breaking into two camps of publishers and indie developers who self publish. I guess along with that you do have the rise of newer publishers like Nordic, Deep Silver and Paradox.

Fox318

What is it with Chicago and shit games this year?

robomodo and Iron Galaxy Studios this year both deliver the hottest piles of trash.

Fox318

keep blaming the suits all you want but at the end of the day the people making the game aren't good at delivering.

At some point the people who make the bad product have to get the blame.

tariniel

I just feel bad for the poor people that buy this out of nostalgia while blind to reviews and end with a complete piece of shit.

MikeyB

keep blaming the suits all you want but at the end of the day the people making the game aren't good at delivering.

I don't think so at all. That's like blaming construction workers for a bad building if they were given poor materials or tools or insufficient time. The choice about cost-quality-time is fully a suit's decision.

But if you read the reviews, they mostly say that the game actually has some very fun points, it just plays like an unfinished game, like it was released months before it was ready. They say the bugs, loading times, incomplete interfaces, all make it not worth it, but it had a lot of potential. And that's the kind of thing that's usually the fault of suits, enforcing an unrealistic release date.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think so at all. That's like blaming construction workers for a bad building if they were given poor materials or tools or insufficient time. The choice about cost-quality-time is fully a suit's decision.
I mean, I'm sure there's a lot of truth to this and Robomodo wasn't really given adequate time or resources but their track record is really awful. I'm not sure they've ever released a genuinely great game (or even good one).

JoeNut

seriously this was the EASIEST game to make ever, use the mechanics from THPS3, apply next gen graphics, and make new levels, which could be stolen from Skate.

an easy 7.5/10 and decent sales.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't know why they even greenlit this game in the first place. I'd rather see them try to make a tennis game.
Quick cash-in before Activision's deal runs out.

Cheap and quick seems to be the only thing they were interested in with regards to Tony Hawk 5,

AdanVC

I bought THPS3 instead. I regret nothing.

Yeah I'm sure sales of past THPS games increased on ebay this week due to how shitty this game turned out. I'm actually going to see if I can find a decent copy of THPS4 on GameCube somewhere...

joecanada

Nope. People have found that this is the final year of the contract that Activision had with Tony Hawk. There's no way that they're going to resign him given that they allowed something as horrible to be released under the one Tony Hawk brand that was near flawless up till this point

LaIaNMH.png

otUJCBN.png

rdUCWcJ.png

TlQFs9e.jpg

well, I guess it was following a downward trend? LOL

can someone please make a chart of this metascore?

scitek

I'll blame the publisher for hiring a developer like High Voltage after clearly showing time and time again they aren't very good at what they do.

Top Bottom