• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater review thread

Says who? Most hardcore THPS players say 4 and THUG are the best in the series.

By hardcore I mean those dudes that do one combo on the whole level for 5 minutes, not just people who like skating.

I was never "hardcore" into them, but yeah, 4 was definitely my favorite. Probably a couple hundred hours of my teenage years spent on that game. Great stages.

Nope.

It was great,

THUG is also one that was regarded as the best. That was the definitely the peak of the series before the downfall.

Obviously my opinion but I preferred the task list of 1-3 over the NPCs in what followed. Could also be I burnt out on them after 4 games too.

The biggest take away here is how Activision have taken a franchise that was both critically and commercially acclaimed and thrown it under the bus.

Absolutely disgraceful.

The fucking things I'd do for a new skate game.. Hell even a remake or straight port of the original on current gen will suffice. I put so many hours into the demo and then full version. At least I still have my good Tony hawk collection on Xbox and ps2.

SomTervo

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Wow.

When was the last actual good TH game? I stopped at THUG2.

I think THUG was the last great one. Perfect balance of pure skating and story/exploration. THUG2 lost its shit and they were on a downward spiral from there. Skate took up the mantle nicely.

I love Jim Sterling.

See, I don't think that quoted bit's any good at all. I don't like Sterlings forced, try-hard, English-twee-critic style. Rock, Paper, Shotgun pull it off - Sterling doesn't.

However, I agree with his critiques across the board and I think he's a great force.

MilkyJoe

That-70-s-Show-image-that-70s-show-36165551-245-164.gif

I love it when a ringer of a game gets called out like this,

SomTervo

Obviously my opinion but I preferred the task list of 1-3 over the NPCs in what followed. Could also be I burnt out on them after 4 games too.

This was definitely the most efficient and skating-focused approach. THUG was the most fun game along with THPS2 and 4 for me, but it definitely lacked that pure extreme sports aspect.

Nope. People have found that this is the final year of the contract that Activision had with Tony Hawk. There's no way that they're going to resign him given that they allowed something as horrible to be released under the one Tony Hawk brand that was near flawless up till this point

LaIaNMH.png

otUJCBN.png

rdUCWcJ.png

TlQFs9e.jpg

RG0BS1U.gif

In my professional opinion, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 can fuck off.

Jim Fucking Sterling-Son only says what needs to be said.

THPS5 can fuck off, and on that note, so can Activision as well.

The biggest take away here is how Activision have taken a franchise that was both critically and commercially acclaimed and thrown it under the bus.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Wouldn't be the first time, and I bet THPS5 won't be the last.

Acidote

This is one of the few times I wouldn't mind some company like EA buying the rights and rebooting the franchise around 2018. Something like what they're doing with NFS and Mirror's Edge. But without the always online requirement.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

DekuLink

I wonder who's idea it was to let Robomodo make a main THPS considering the 2 new installments they made were both critical and financial failures.

Tony Hawk: Ride

"Having the lowest ratings and worst sales for a Tony Hawk game, Ride debuted to negative critical and commercial reception. It has been widely criticized by video game critics as the worst of the series. It also failed to meet financial predictions, and led to a severe financial drop that risked cancellation of future Tony Hawk games."

Tony Hawk: Shred

"During its first week on sale in the United States, the game sold 3,000 copies; combined with the negative reception, the Tony Hawk franchise was put on hold."

Yeah that studio would totally be my choice for making a main game in the series.

I wonder who's idea it was to let Robomodo make a main THPS considering the 2 new installments they made were both critical and financial failures.

Tony Hawk: Ride

"Having the lowest ratings and worst sales for a Tony Hawk game, Ride debuted to negative critical and commercial reception. It has been widely criticized by video game critics as the worst of the series. It also failed to meet financial predictions, and led to a severe financial drop that risked cancellation of future Tony Hawk games."

Tony Hawk: Shred

"During its first week on sale in the United States, the game sold 3,000 copies; combined with the negative reception, the Tony Hawk franchise was put on hold."

Yeah that studio would totally be my choice for making a main game in the series.

It was Activision's decision because they weren't bothered to make a proper TH game. They just wanted to shit something out before the Tony Hawk license expired this year.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The .gifs and shops in that one thread were good at least

R.I.P. Tony Hawk. THUG remains the highlight of the franchise and is still fun to play today... sigh

This stopped being funny and just became sad. How are they not apologizing for this? How has Tony Hawk and Robomodo said nothing?

Chinbo37

What were they thinking?!

Im willing to guess ...

They were thinking that it would cost more money in terms of dev costs and time to completely fix all bugs than they would make if they released the game in its shit state and a bunch of idiots bought it with the vague promises to fix the bugs which they eventually fix some but not all and by then everyone has stopped playing the game and is moving on to the next bug riddled game they will release.

Am I close?

glaurung

What were they thinking?!
They thought that they could run a mild current through a corpse and revitalize it.

Instead they did a shit job and shoved a dead body in the game case. Their contempt for the consumers is just insult after injury.

Hasney

This stopped being funny and just became sad. How are they not apologizing for this? How has Tony Hawk and Robomodo said nothing?

"We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and are working with the developer to address these so that we can continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of the Tony Hawk fans who have known and loved this franchise for more than 16 years".

"We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and are working with the developer to address these so that we can continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of the Tony Hawk fans who have known and loved this franchise for more than 16 years".

That's Activision. That isn't Tony Hawk or Robomodo. Robomodo has been sitting on Twitter responding only to people that like the game. Any "issues" they've responded to are still from tweets about how the game is good.

They should be ashamed, how are they ignoring this? The only close tweet I saw was them referencing that Activision released the above statement. They didn't apologize or admit to anything themselves.

DekuLink

It was Activision's decision because they weren't bothered to make a proper TH game. They just wanted to shit something out before the Tony Hawk license expired this year.

Yeah but there must have been some better studio available that doesn't have a track record of making two of the worst games in the series, both financially and critically.

shiyrley

Banned
Remember, THPS 3 and 4 are on PC (not sure about 1 and 2). Just play those. Any toaster can run that at its maximum resolution. Also there's a widescreen patch for 4 (it just unlocks the widescreen option that's already available on PS2 / gamecube) and I think 3 as well.

Hasney

Justinh

I bought THPS3 instead. I regret nothing.

lol, same here. Can't find my old Gambecube copy so I just bought another one.

This is really gut-wrenching to see this happen. We saw it coming, but I wasn't ready to believe it would be this bad.

Stuart444

Here's a curious thing

If the TH license is expiring this year...

won't that mean the game will be coming off the PS Store/XBL store because Activision will no longer own the rights to the TH franchise and be able to keep it up under their name (and of course will then be under no obligations to fix any bugs if they don't by the time the license expires)?

Just a thought, it may only be up on the stores for another 2 - 3 months if this is the case. And all Activision has to do is keep quiet mostly and they could get away with this without fixing anything.

Top Bottom