• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

aeolist said:
I love the "many faces of Victor Sullivan" page Nate drew in his journal

His journal is awesome. I kept flipping through thinking "there's no way there can be another page", and sure enough...

They really packed the game with detail.

siarraweb

i wonder what the photoshoppers could do with this one :lol

pdvd062copy.jpg

*don't think this is a spoiler since it doesn't show much.. just drake

but if it is...

sorry :D

Facism

siarraweb said:
i wonder what the photoshoppers could do with this one :lol

pdvd062copy.jpg

*don't think this is a spoiler since it doesn't show much.. just drake

but if it is...

sorry :D

Lince's face on nate, both of FFO's members, one in each hand.

John

in chapter 13. whiny internet post incoming!

every good game needs to start out with a shitty unintuitive stealth section. reminds me of wind waker

controls fail whenever an enemy gets within five feet of you

boss battles are mostly tricking the game into spawning more ammo for you

camera moves every step of the way so moving more than half speed is just going to throw you off cliffs.

the game is so scripted it's silly, but it kills you for the oddest things. it's as if you're supposed to just know what the game wants you to do. you can take cover to the left or the right, but the building blows up at the left so you'll just die that way (literal example).

is there anyone who has not used the hint button at least once?

there are a couple walls on the trains they can shoot through, coincidentally walls drake doesn't feel like using as cover. why doesn't he feel like using pistols on ladders?

controls generally feel imprecise and even at max sensitivity the camera's really slow

so it's pretty good so far

Thrakier

So, ND can do all this amazing shit with the PS3 but they never heard that modern TV sets can deactivate overscan? I mean it's not an big issue but for a game that's so polisehd it's a pretty glaring and ugly fault...

However, they made the footsteps louder compared to the beta! AMAZING!

jett

D-Member
Thrakier said:
So, ND can do all this amazing shit with the PS3 but they never heard that modern TV sets can deactivate overscan? I mean it's not an big issue but for a game that's so polisehd it's a pretty glaring and ugly fault...

However, they made the footsteps louder compared to the beta! AMAZING!

I wonder if this can be remedied with a patch.

I finally went to Best Buy to pick this up with my gift certificates, all ready to play and excited, and they were sold out. Nooooo! Luckily another BB further from my house had it.

Anyway I'm at 44% and I just got done with
the chase sequence with Elena after Jeff got shot (poor Jeff)
and wow that was intense. I was so engrossed I completely forgot my surroundings. I'm taking a short break now because I need a breather.

I'm playing on hard and it's the right choice for me, although to be honest I've died plenty of times. I'm getting used to it now though. I love the dialogue, Chloe is pretty funny lol. I like her a lot more than I thought I would.

So far so good, I can't believe I have over 50% more game left.

Alex

Uncharted 2 does not look better than a cracked, high end Crysis. It might in art direction or other qualities, which is fair, but in terms of build and detail and technology it does not.

But it does hang very well, and look better scene by scene than the standard "high" fare. There is the fact though, that Crysis is fairly open world but considering UC2 is running on a machine with a baby sliver of the amount of ram a modern gaming PC does, it's still a somewhat fair shake.

Uncharted 2 is pretty fucking voodoo for a console game, there is nothing even close to it on the consoles. Once you get further and further in, some of the mind boggling texturing and fine details makes everything else look a generation down.

It's nice to see this kind of technology and other technical wizardry in a game that actually has such wonderful art direction, and not some fucking typical brown/military shooter for a change.

Makes me want to see Naughty Dog make an RPG.

Zeliard

Alex said:
Uncharted 2 is pretty fucking voodoo for a console game, there is nothing even close to it on the consoles. Once you get further and further in, some of the mind boggling texturing and fine details makes everything else look a generation down.

It's the best-looking console game overall, and probably also in several specific technical aspects. Is there any console game out there that bests Uncharted 2 in either lighting, shadowing, texturing or animation? It's pretty crazy how it does so many things at such a high level with limited specs.

And with no ridiculous 2 gig install.

slipknot2009

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
His journal is awesome. I kept flipping through thinking "there's no way there can be another page", and sure enough...

They really packed the game with detail.

That's what really makes me admire Naughty Dog, they didn't skimp on a single thing. Also, did anyone notice the Dharma Initiative (from Lost) logo on the desk at end of the borneo chapter?

arne

MercuryLS said:
Harddrive caching and clever hidden loading during cutscenes. They are very crafty devs.

We're actually not loading during the cinematics... turns out for quality reasons we kept the ps3 busy enough to not let it load in the background. haha.

Alex said:
Uncharted 2 does not look better than a cracked, high end Crysis. It might in art direction or other qualities, which is fair, but in terms of build and detail and technology it does not.

But it does hang very well, and look better scene by scene than the standard "high" fare. There is the fact though, that Crysis is fairly open world but considering UC2 is running on a machine with a baby sliver of the amount of ram a modern gaming PC does, it's still a somewhat fair shake.

It's nice to see this kind of technology and other technical wizardry in a game that actually has such wonderful art direction, and not some fucking typical brown/military shooter for a change.

I'm just stunned at what ND accomplished here in 2 years. I know they had the foundation and the engine set but still, creating all these elaborate action sequences and the crazy texture detail and art, it really is phenomenal.

Meanwhile I've only seen half of the game so far.

Choc

Banned
Seriously the greatest game i think i have ever played in terms of flow, intensity and graphical detail.

Being an ex-game journalist i have played a fuckload of games as well

only thing eating me right now is i think ND went over the top with the sexual innuendo. In small parts its fine but seriously ..

we don't need it in our faces every 2 seconds that Chloe wants to jump Drakes bones and that Drake really wants elena do we?

it spoils the game a little in that it had to dilute itself to sex sells when clearly it did not need this to sell.

siarraweb

hey arne..

do you think you guys can raise the bar graphically with your next game?

i mean... I know that is possible to improve a little to what was done with uncharted 2, but..

are we seeing what is possible the best this generation will offer in graphics?

and yes.. you guys define what this generation is capable of :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Alex said:

Open-world action-adventure game maybe, not an RPG, keep the inventory and stats management to a minimum.
Indifferent2.gif

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
templeusox said:
No thanks. Proper sequel set in a European seaport, the Fuji mountains, and the Outback.
Eh.. I'd rather have Africa as the main locale. Egypt/desert. Nile River/ Jungles. Savanna, grass lands/wild animals, Mountains.

Arne, ND, anybody whose listening.

Whatever you do, do not, I REPEAT do NOT let Amy Henning go. Strap her to a chair, chain her to her office desk, make her office cubicle into a prison cell, anything. WHATEVER IT TAKES MAKE HER STAY.

... or you'd probably be losing one of (if not THE) the most talented, extraordinary & imaginary videogame authors in a long time. She has potential to reach kojima star celebrity status.

She's become my "new" Kojima. Amy GODDAMN Henning.

Also, impressions so far:

FUCK YES ND... these boss battles Ive played so far, are EXACTLY what Naughty Dog stands for. If this is your new interpretation of "unique encounters" then HELL YEAH DO WANT... I wouldnt mind having some more of that! High Five Naughty gods! Fucking ace improvement!

Ah man this story has so many quoteble events and dialogues its not even funny.

Also HOLY FUCKING USED CONDOMS at chapter
talk about staggering beauty.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Ran across these today from Comic Con panel. No spoilers, really. Just a great interview with NG and the VA's from UC2. If I ever saw Nolan North or Elena's VA around LA, I'd stop by and say hello in a heartbeat :lol Same goes for NG Dev's. After watching all the special unlock videos at the end of the game, I'll keep my eye open when walking around Santa Monica for NG doods.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTmGJrlg9gY

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk2ep8VZjm4

arne said:
We're actually not loading during the cinematics... turns out for quality reasons we kept the ps3 busy enough to not let it load in the background. haha.

But then... what is this i dont even... when loading... how? Fuck it.

arne
I'm ready to believe you
(Today, 06:45 PM)
Reply | Quote

Oneself

Thrakier said:

In fact, they heard and tested the game on modern TVs that deactivate overscan.
It's not happening everytime, on every set OR every PS3s. I already took pictures and commented about it.. I guess I'm gonna have to upload some more.

Alex said:
Next-gen filter, man.

Firestorm said:
Is there a way to install to HDD so it doesn't have the really crazy load time at the beginning though?

You cant call that really crazy man... someone didnt play MGS4! :lol

Its par for the course this gen I feel... I'm just glad that there arent any loading screens once the game starts. It has an undeniable effect on making the game's pacing so strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom