• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

jett

D-Member
Shame that it doesn't even remotely resemble the concept art. There's really nothing salvageable about the current look of the game.

xaosslug

jarosh said:
looks unspeakably bad

mmmm. From the concept art I wasn't expecting it to look so very... very. But, I should have figured. I mean this is a Micky Mouse game, and it's geared toward that certain demo for sure...

mrWalrus

Banned
jarosh said:
looks unspeakably bad

mm.. yeah. After seeing these still images I'm kind of left thinking 'They brought Mickey out of retirement for this?'

I'll wait until videos to make any harsher judgement.

Tucah

you speak so well
Art looks amazing, screens are disappointing though. Hopefully the next year of development time will make the graphics look more appealing.

CoolS

Still going to hold out for a trailer and how the game will evolve. Because the concept still sounds amazing.

Right now it needs some work though. But I still have faith in Warren.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That said I hope they release an official artbook or something.

Cygnus X-1

jarosh said:
looks unspeakably bad

Yeah, I second that. I mean: the textures are post N64-early GCN period. Is it possible that none but Retro and Nintendo (excluding MH3) can make some decent looking game on Wii? Seriously, it's an old story, I know, but it is pissing me off more and more.

jett said:
Shame that it doesn't even remotely resemble the concept art. There's really nothing salvageable about the current look of the game.
You actually feel that way?

The only thing that looks off to me is some of the texture work. The models look good, Mickey kicks all kinds of ass, and the environments are filled with cartoony curved surfaces.

7Th

Thunder Monkey said:
You actually feel that way?

The only thing that looks off to me is some of the texture work. The models look good, Mickey kicks all kinds of ass, and the environments are filled with cartoony curved surfaces.

Those surfaces don't look curvy at all.

jett said:
These screens are "up-to-date".
I wonder why they're rendered at 1280×960 pixels, though, which is double the max resolution of the Wii?

VAIL said:
Up to release date maybe???

Jesus people the game is a YEAR away and Wii always looks better in motion anyway, but yeah let's bitch and moan about early shots blown up way over the resolution of the console.
Thing is, I don't think they're actually blown up, the pixels would be a lot bigger if they took 640x480 screenshots and upscaled them. My guess is that the screenshots are taken from one of their development PCs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Choppasmith said:
Hey! HEY! >:<
Kim Possible deserves better than to be mentioned in the same sentence as Hannah Montana. KP is the one cartoon from the early 2000s that I think hearkens back to the classic Disney cartoons from the 90s. I know it's easy to do with the Female lead and Teenybopper intro, but the actual writing, animation, and characters is pure gold.
Phineas and Ferb is also an awesome series that would fit right into "the golden age." I consider it up there with Animaniacs.

7Th said:
Those surfaces don't look curvy at all.
It's as curved as most of SMG's worlds. The difference is a lack of almost any form of shaders, slightly off lighting, and much worse texturing. Each are things that tend to get tidied up late in the dev cycle.

jett said:
Yeah, and I honestly don't think you should hold your breath for much different a year from now. A year is a large time frame in our heads, but not when you're developing a game. Nothing they've said has lead me to believe these are simply placeholder textures or proof-of-concept screenshots. This...is the game. It'll probably look better, but it's not going to be the jump people are wanting or expecting

Man, I entirely forgot a lot of people probably missed out on the scans/GI magazine itself. Today is going to be the day a lot of new people see these screenshots. I do hope this thread can handle another one of those whirlwinds

VAIL

jett said:

Up to release date maybe???

Jesus people the game is a YEAR away and Wii always looks better in motion anyway, but yeah let's bitch and moan about early shots blown up way over the resolution of the console.

MrHicks

Banned
the horror/creepyness vibe is gone
has the vibe of a typical mickey game for children now

kingdom hearts is creepier for fucks sake

Actual concept art for the game: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/786/786198/imgs_1.html

epic-mickey-20091028111314952_640w.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111304999_640w.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111334857.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111338498.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111341091.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111343326.jpg

epic-mickey-20091028111256687.jpg

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
They shouldn't have released those screens if the end product is set for massive improvements.

Here's hoping the art style of that particular stage simply doesn't reflect that of the rest of the game. This has the potential to be a 3D platforming classic along the lines of Mario Galaxy or KHII, if Warren Spector really works at it.

jarosh

it's honestly not just a technical thing though. yeah sure, the textures and the geometry are awful and there's no lighting to speak of, but the art assets themselves are just plain BAD too - the combination of colors is atrocious, the art style is inconsistent at best - and that's putting it nicely.

Anth0ny

jett said:

Agreed. It's unfortunate really, I had some major hype for this game.

I really hope there are some major changes between now and release.

Halycon said:
Wait, so what was the stuff that originally built up all this hype?

Some artist at Junction Point put up what was probably really early art from the game's conceptual stages that the team clearly decided to go in a different direction from. It was never official, and never should have been taken as representative of the game.

Firestorm

Hero of Legend said:
Very true, I'm positive it'll look better by release.
Yeah, you keep staying positive =p

EmCeeGramr said:
Actual concept art for the game:
Odd. Maybe the concept art that leaked was all trashed and were for the earlier version they were talking about in that ONM quote?

upandaway

The colors are absolutely amazing. If they could pull these in the actual game, that'd me really really awesome.

I think they could be much more daring with contrasts in a few areas, but whatever, not everyone like high contrasts. Still, I love the colors for the art so much that on first look I ignored everything else in the pictures.

It's unfair and inaccurate to call the above "actual" concept art. A more accurate term would be "recent" concept art, which of course would mean they match up better with the screenshots. The older, leaked concept art is still perfectly valid. It's not like it exists in a different plane of existence, as we can see influences from that artwork in the screenshots.

Honestly, I'm wondering if the decision to move this to the Wii and the deviance from the earlier art designs are related. Probably baseless speculation. I'll just shut my mouth.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Uh, hmm. Hmm.

Odd. Maybe the concept art that leaked was all trashed and were for the earlier version they were talking about in that ONM quote?

I think that's the case, yeah.

Kard8p3

Am I the only one that's happy with whats been shown so far? I think the style looks great myself. Sure there are bad textures but I'm loving the art style and if the gameplay turns out as great as they're hoping then this should be an amazing game.

Kard8p3 said:
Am I the only one that's happy with whats been shown so far? I think the style looks great myself. Sure there are bad textures but I'm loving the art style and if the gameplay turns out as great as they're hoping then this should be an amazing game.
Nope I like it as well.

I must be the only one laughing that people thought this was going to be some sort of Grimdark-Steampunk mickey game and now are butthurt because it isn't:lol

Peff

Kard8p3 said:

Nah, I like it too. Sure it could look a lot better, but I'm more than willing to turn a blind eye as long as the levels and the choice mechanic are as great as they're hyping them to be. Also it may "click" in motion, we'll see with the demo previews, hopefully.

Kard8p3 said:

I'm with you on the style. And the animations we've seen? Top notch!

But everything else? Yeahhhhh...

Taker666

More from Warren Spector-

"I think a lot of people missed the boat with Wii. I think a lot of people are enamoured with going 'ooooh look shaders'. They like the idea of doing in real time what Pixar does with pre-rendered CGI."

"I guess it's kind of natural that everyone always goes for the flashiest, glitziest, biggest hard drive sort of thing. But for me, I don't know - I just look at Mario and Zelda and go to my friends: 'where are the best games?' Being able to focus on gameplay over flashy graphics is kinda nice - almost like the good old days of development. I mean that in an entirely positive way."

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12789

Calints Neos said:
I must be the only one laughing that people thought this was going to be some sort of Grimdark-Steampunk mickey game and now are butthurt because it isn't:lol

Yeah, it's almost as if the only info we had to go off of prior to this month was the concept art showing a Grimdark-Steampunk Mickey game

Weird!

Zhengi

magicalsoundshower said:
Doesn't this totally contradict what Warren said in some other interview? The quote was something like "We always wanted this game to be on the Wii, even back when no one knew that it was going to be the best-selling system"? Oh well.

Also, looks like those screens aren't blown up but indeed rendered at 1280 × 960 pixels which means they're definitely not running on actual Wii hardware, interesting.

It doesn't seem to me that it contradicts what Warren has said. The interview makes it sound like the decision to have the game on the 360, PS3, and PC was a publisher decision. Then Warren mentions that it would be great if they could concentrate on one platform and that the Wii deserves its due. So when the head honcho suggests going Wii exclusive, Warren jumped on it.

Top Bottom