• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

GeeDuhb

Porthos said:
I haven't been keeping up, but after reading some reviews, reading this thread, and watching some vids, this is going on the Christmas list. Glad I decided to check out this thread.

Ha! I was just about to post the same thing!

It looks really awesome. I work at Best Buy, and have walked over on multiple occasions and watched people play it, but have not actually played myself. Every time I go over, it is always in use! I don't work tomorrow, but I might have to go stop by and actually get my hands on it. From what I have heard though, the samples are awesome! Really catchy and nicely done...and I am not really even into this type of music!

But yeah, +1 for the Christmas list addition!

Jtrizzy

This game is really fun so far, and I was/am fairly burnt out on the music games. The music is really well done, and has tons of great stuff for someone my age (30)

I'm still trying to find the right way to position my hand, as I'm having some trouble scratching with the blue button then getting back to the green. I may try it with the buttons on the outside at some point.

Are people using the ring finger for the blue button? The parts where I'm moving the cf back and forth are really tough too, I need to practice that.

HOLY FUCK!!!!!!! This game is UNbelievable.

And to the idiots who still think this game has no more control over the music than Guitar Hero does, actually PLAY DJ Hero and tell me that.

And I reiterate that IGN AU has no clue on the point of this game with their score of 7.0. The game gives you as much control as this game SHOULD be giving you considering it's not MEANT to give you FULL control over the mix.

It's just amazing and I haven't even unlocked the best mixes yet.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Jtrizzy said:
This game is really fun so far, and I was/am fairly burnt out on the music games. The music is really well done, and has tons of great stuff for someone my age (30)

I'm still trying to find the right way to position my hand, as I'm having some trouble scratching with the blue button then getting back to the green. I may try it with the buttons on the outside at some point.

Are people using the ring finger for the blue button? The parts where I'm moving the cf back and forth are really tough too, I need to practice that.

Scratch with the ring finger for blue, but hold the edge of the platter with your thumb for leverage.

Posted another video on Youtube - Jay-Z's Izzo (H.O.V.A.) vs. Jackson 5's I Want You Back.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sweet, a nice GS clerk gave me an extra code for the 2 bonus tracks after I asked.

Queen and Gorillaz here I come!

I don't quite get how to do 2 of the same consecutive arrow scratches on Expert mode. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to lift the button, or if I can go in the other direction and then back.

Jtrizzy

someone should do a share account for that Gamestop dlc. I was going to buy it there for that reason but it was closed by the time I got there, so I had to go elsewhere.

Jtrizzy

so I flipped it so the buttons are on the outside and it seems so much better. Also, the flash set is sick. except for the bonus song :(

IGN has a decent article about upcoming DLC. Summarized:

-DLC will be released in packs on PS3/360, individually on Wii.
-New sample/character packs a maybe
-New DJ vs Guitar tracks a maybe

Coming out today (October 29) for 6 bucks on PS3/360, in Nov. on Wii:
-"All Of Me" by 50 Cent featuring Mary J. Blige vs. "Radio Ga Ga" by Queen
-"DARE" by Gorillaz vs. "Can't Truss It" Performed by Public Enemy

Coming out in November sometime for 8 bucks on all 3 systems:
-"When Love Takes Over" Remix by David Guetta
-"Sexy Bitch" Remix by David Guetta
-"On The Dance Floor" Remix by David Guetta

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1040105p1.html

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ok, so I got a faulty DJ Hero earlier today (wouldnt sync up to usb dongle), returned it got a new one plus a free 20 buck gift card for my trouble. New one synced up perfect first try, was also considerably less noisy when spinning and just looked in better condition overall so thats good. One more thing the old one had a DJ Hero sticker on the middle of the record, new one no sticker...wierd.

Anyway, I came home with the new one at around 7pm and Im just now pulling myself away to go to sleep. I love this game, I seriously find it 10x more fun than Guitar Hero..no joke. Started on Hard difficulty...and well its fucking hard lol. I had the shit blasting outta my speakers pretty loud for over 6 hours, probably pissed some neighbors off. :D

Smokey

I was fuckin into this game on the Flash set list. It was amazing:lol . The beat of the second track on that set list is crazy.

This is probably the most fun I've had with a game all year. Knowing me I'll probably eat up all DLC released for this too.

1up

Jtrizzy said:
so I flipped it so the buttons are on the outside and it seems so much better. Also, the flash set is sick. except for the bonus song :(

My friend and I at work were going "BOOM BOOM TAP BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM TAP!" at each other all day. :lol

kaskade

DrAndonuts said:

If they did a Taylor Swift/Kanye west mashup it may be the greatest thing ever.

bardia

Does anyone have any tips for manually calibrating the game? I set it to dolby digital and used the auto calibration and got like 160ms lag for Audio :O . It still feels a bit off though, any help would be appreciated.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This game is so motherfucking amazing. I got the 360 Renegade version. I've barely touched Forza 3. I should have done the tutorial eariler, now I know how to remind and do the euphoria shit. OMMFG!!!!!!! I haven't had that much fun with a game in years.

Ronabo

I wanna play this so bad. I have the Renegade version sitting right behind me. I've just been too sick with a cold/flu to even have the strength to open the box and set it up.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Major props are in order for this game. Agent Ice is my gamertag. I find myself tapping my feet and bobbing my head to the music. Just as i called it, its probably going to be my most played game this year. The game that stands in the way is Persona 3, lol. I'm going to have to force myself to play some Forza and Dragon Age the way this is going. FreeStyleGames deserves major props for this.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Major props are in order for this game. Agent Ice is my gamertag. I find myself tapping my feet and bobbing my head to the music. Just as i called it, its probably going to be my most played game this year. The game that stands in the way is Persona 3, lol. I'm going to have to force myself to play some Forza and Dragon Age the way this is going. FreeStyleGames deserves major props for this.

Renegade comes out next week here :(

My mate bought regular, and I was playing it all morning. Had to leave, and I keep ringing him to go down and play some more. :lol

Seriously fucking AMAZING game. Eats Guitar Hero for breakfast. Shits it out, then eats the shit.

Hey Beezy, I've sent you a friend request.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Really liking this game so far. Almost done with all the songs on medium and I love the playlist. Reminds me of going through Frequency and Amplitude with that good mix of hip-hop, dance and pop. I miss that diversity in Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

I'll probably get the DLC too, which I never, ever do for any game. Says a lot right there.

Jtrizzy

GOTY is gonna be tough this year! Obviously this will win all the music genre awards, but it's easily up there with Batman and Uncharted 2 for me. The music is so well done on this game, although I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering the artists involved.

I haven't unlocked a lot yet, but so far the Flash and Z-Trip sets stand out. I'm about to listen to the Daft Punk on party mode as I'm done playing for the night. Not that I'll ever buy a second one for mp, it would be cool to see Z-Trip and Radar's stuff from back in the day show up in the game.

What's up with the cheat codes? so far only for Z Trip and DP?

CAVE343

I'm torn between the regular and the renegade edition :-(
Can't decide if the case/stand is worth the premium price of the renegade edition.

Is it correct that the turntables are exactly the same (except the color?)

Magik

DrAndonuts said:

The prices are disgusting... but its so hard to fight it when the game is so good.

TomO

Sorry if this has been asked, but does this have a party/jukebox mode like GH5 does? Can't seem to find it anywhere if it does exist.

DrAndonuts said:

$3 a song is ridiculous :(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
bad-joey said:
I'm torn between the regular and the renegade edition :-(
Can't decide if the case/stand is worth the premium price of the renegade edition.

Is it correct that the turntables are exactly the same (except the color?)

The stand is what you are paying for. You can put it at the perfect height for you and makes things alot easier. I have read online that people are using ironing boards to get the right height. Is the cool color and storage case worth $80? That is up to you.

TomO said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but does this have a party/jukebox mode like GH5 does? Can't seem to find it anywhere if it does exist.
Yeah it does. Press and hold the Euphoria Button. (It's in the manual...)

TomO

:Motorbass said:
Yeah it does. Press and hold the Euphoria Button. (It's in the manual...)
Cheers mate. Review promos rarely come with manuals so we'd have never found that out.

dreamcastmaster said:
Track pack purchased, tha Gorrillaz/PE mix is really fast, even on medium. Both good mixes and nice additions to the setlist.

Both songs have a really nice length to them as well. I play on medium and I"m definitely not an expert at the game and I scored around 20,000 on each song. I also noticed that the DLC stars count towards any unlocks you have in the game. I'm now 10 stars closer to the final DJ deck :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So I tried out one of the setlists on guitar. They don't seem to track stars if you play guitar solo? Weak. And while they seem to track high scores, I can't seem to find where they would list those scores on the setlist menu as I just see the DJ scores and stars.

Baker

Banned
Riskbreaker23 said:
$3 a song is ridiculous :(
Yeah, that's disgusting. It shouldn't matter that there are two songs in the mashup, it's still a 3-4 minute song. Watch them do a four band mashup and charge $10.

Argyle

So back to my calibration issues...the in game calibration tool sucks.

I set the audio lag to be the same as Rock Band 2 (12ms) and it's fine. The video lag settings I used were slightly off for this game (notes had to be hit slightly behind the target) but even being slightly off was WAY WAY better than the numbers the calibration tool gave me. I'd say my scores instantly jumped up two stars and I rarely lose combo when I use the crossfader now.

I've more or less beaten the game (haven't played every song yet but did unlock every song) and I have to admit that it was quite enjoyable - I lost track of time as I was playing through the final setlists and didn't realize it was 3am when I stopped :p I think the thing that made the game for me is that even though I am not really a DJ in real life, they tracked the beat juggles in the last series of mixes well and I knew instinctively what to do with the fader, which felt really awesome :)...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I played for a couple of hours last night. I am loving this game. Though I am going to have to find a hand position that works for me. Also I am having a hard time understanding where to put the crossfader at times. When it is on the left and supposed to go to the middle, I find myself putting it to the right.

But I am going to get this!

I am hoping a soundtrack for this shows up sooner or later. Some really good music on this.

AVclub

Wow. I can't believe all the gushing in here about this game. I played it for about 15 minutes at Best Buy. The tutorial taught me everything I needed to know. So I tried a three song set on medium. I don't like that the fader has only three required positions in the game, but slides freely all over the place. So when it's supposed to go in the middle, I sometimes don't click it in there all the way and have to move it slightly in either direction to correct it. With the way it is utilized in the game, it really should just be a three position switch, not a slider.

Speaking of loose for no reason, the turntable buttons are ass-tastic. Having to press buttons in time to the music on a free floating disc is repetative stress injuries just waiting to happen. In my brief play, I find myself pushing down on the turntable where there was no button because it had moved, several times. Scratching, pressing, and keeping the buttons in place all at the same time is a pain in the wrist. If the buttons are going to move around, at the very least they should have some sort of rubberized traction on them so that you can maintain some sort of control of them.

I really like the music in this game, but I wish the interface was better. Also, if I was on the fence before about whether to get it or not, the price of the DLC has just pushed me off of it. There's no way a single song (or even two mashed together) is worth $8 when you can buy an entire mix CD for $10 to $15.

XiaNaphryz said:
So I tried out one of the setlists on guitar. They don't seem to track stars if you play guitar solo? Weak. And while they seem to track high scores, I can't seem to find where they would list those scores on the setlist menu as I just see the DJ scores and stars.

I don't think you can play Guitar Solo in this game. If I'm wrong let me know how to do it.

Top Bottom