• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

1up

The DJ HERO Thread!

zjdu1z.jpg

=================
DJ Hero
DEVELOPER: FreeStyleGames
PUBLISHER: Activision
PLATFORMS : Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Wii
RELEASE DATE: NA October 27, 2009, EU October 30, 2009
RATING ESRB: T
PRICE: $120.00, $200.00 Renegade Edition
GAME MODES: DJ vs. DJ, DJ + DJ, DJ + Guitar
SUPPORTS: DJ Turntable, Guitar

PREORDER INCENTIVES:
  • Amazon.com – Pre-order DJ Hero and DJ Hero Renegade Edition from Amazon.com and get a $5 credit towards the music tracks that inspired the music for the game
  • Best Buy – Pre-order DJ Hero from Best Buy and receive a free code that unlocks a Daft Punk level
  • GameStop – Pre-order DJ Hero and DJ Hero Renegade Edition and receive two free playable song downloads
  • Guitar Hero Store – Pre-order DJ Hero and DJ Hero Renegade Edition and receive free two-day shipping
  • Hollywood/GameCrazy – Pre-order DJ Hero and receive an exclusive turntable slipmat
  • Walmart.com – Pre-order DJ Hero and DJ Hero Renegade Edition at Wal-Mart.com and receive a $10 electronic gift card

DJ HERO™ Overview

DJ Hero is a music video game developed by FreeStyleGames and published by Activision as an expansion of its Guitar Hero series. It is set to be released on October 27, 2009 in North America and on October 30, 2009 in Europe. The game is based on turntablism and features more than 80 remixes of two different songs from a selection of over 100 different songs across numerous genres. To score points, the player must press buttons to activate accented beats, adjust their crossfade between the two songs, and "scratch" the turntable on the game's custom controller in time to marks that scroll on the screen to score points and perform well for the virtual crowd. The game features both a single player Career mode and cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes. The game also features a mode for selected songs for a DJ player to play alongside another player using a Guitar Hero guitar controller. Also additional content will be released like the microphone.

Many DJ and mix artists have contributed to the game both in the game's development, the creation of mixes, and in lending their images for playable avatars in the game; these including Eminem, Jay-Z, DJ Shadow, Z-Trip, DJ AM, Cut Chemist, J.Period, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and Daft Punk.
  • Access Unprecedented Music Variety: Mix and scratch over 100 individual songs, highlighted in over 80 exclusive new mixes that blend genres of music, including hip-hop, electronica, R&B, Motown, pop, and rock. DJ Hero brings the hottest artists including: Black Eyed Peas, 50 Cent, Justice, Marvin Gaye, Beastie Boys, N.E.R.D, and more.
  • Experience Music in a Revolutionary Way: The DJ Hero turntable controller immerses you into authentic DJ culture allowing you to scratch, cross-fade, and beat match. Customize your mix with a variety of effects and samples transforming a face in the crowd into the life of the party.
  • Rule the Hottest Parties: Where Guitar Hero brought gamers into the world of rock ‘n’ roll, DJ Hero brings you into the hottest scenes around. Party in venues reminiscent of real world locales from around the globe including an ultra plush and sexy Hollywood Hills style mansion to an open air beach club in Ibiza.
  • Party with Your Friends: Features online and offline multiplayer competitive and cooperative modes.

Renegade Edition
buy_renegade.jpg

Start the party with the DJ Hero™ Renegade Edition Featuring JAY-Z and EMINEM. In addition to the DJ Hero game, the Renegade Edition includes a premium Renegade turntable controller, hardshell turntable carrying case that converts to a performance-ready DJ stand, and an exclusive JAY-Z and EMINEM 2-CD pack featuring unreleased tracks.

The makers of Guitar Hero® introduce a new way to experience your favorite music. With DJ Hero you will be the life of the party as you scratch and mix more than over 100 songs into over 90 unique mixes.

Learn basic and advanced DJ Hero techniques, then spin your way through different set lists in beginner, easy, medium, hard, and expert modes. Grab your friends and start your own DJ Hero party.

DJ Hero Renegade Edition includes:

• DJ Hero game
  • Renegade turntable controller featuring premium metal controls and finish
  • Hardshell turntable carrying case that converts to performance-ready DJ stand
  • Exclusive JAY-Z and EMINEM 2-CD pack featuring unreleased tracks and collectible case designed by artist Shepard Fairey (Daft Punk CD in Australia as well)

SONG LIST:
  • 2Pac – “All Eyez On Me” vs. The Aranbee Pop Orchestra – “Bittersweet Symphony (Instrumental)”
  • 50 Cent – “Disco Inferno” vs. David Bowie – “Let’s Dance”
  • 50 Cent – “Disco Inferno” vs. InDeep – “Last Night A DJ Saved My Life”
  • Afrika Bambaataa – “Zulu Nation Throwdown” vs. Freedom Express – “Get Down”
  • Beastie Boys – “Here’s A Little Somethin’ For Ya” vs. DJ Shadow – “The Number Song (2009 Version)” (Produced and mixed by DJ Shadow)
  • Beastie Boys – “Intergalactic” vs. Blondie – “Rapture”
  • Beastie Boys – “Lee Majors Come Again” vs. Daft Punk – “Da Funk” (Produced and mixed by Cut Chemist)
  • Beck – “Where It’s At” vs. DJ Shadow – “Six Days (Remix ft. Mos Def)”
  • Bell Biv DeVoe – “Poison” Beat Juggle
  • Bell Biv DeVoe – “Poison” vs. Beastie Boys – “Intergalactic” (Produced and mixed by DJ AM)
  • Bell Biv DeVoe – “Poison” vs. Cameo – “Word Up!”
  • Benny Benassi – “Satisfaction” vs. Tiësto – “Elements Of Life”
  • Billy Squier – “The Big Beat” vs. N.E.R.D. – “Lapdance” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • Black Eyed Peas – “Boom Boom Pow” vs. Benny Benassi – “Satisfaction”
  • Bobby “Blue” Bland – “Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City” vs. 2Pac – “How Do You Want It”
  • Bobby “Blue” Bland – “Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City” vs. Connie Price & The Keystones – “Fuzz And Them”
  • Boogie Down Productions – “Jack Of Spades” vs. David Bowie – “Let’s Dance” (Produced and mixed by DJ Shadow)
  • Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers – “Bustin’ Loose” vs. The Zombies – “Time Of The Season” (Produced and mixed by DJ Shadow)
  • Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers – “Bustin’ Loose” vs. Young MC – “Bust A Move”
  • Common – “Universal Mind Control (U.M.C.)” vs. Masta Ace – “Jeep A** Gutter (Aaron LaCrate & Debonair Samir RMX)” (Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts)
  • Cypress Hill – “Insane In The Brain” vs. Classics IV – “Spooky”
  • Cypress Hill – “Insane In The Brain” vs. David Axelrod – “The Edge”
  • Daft Punk – “Around The World” vs. Young MC – “Bust A Move”
  • Daft Punk – “Da Funk” vs. N.A.S.A. – “Strange Enough ft. Karen O, ODB & Fatlip”
  • Daft Punk – “Megamix 1″
  • Daft Punk – “Megamix 2″
  • Daft Punk – “Robot Rock” vs. Hashim – “Al Naafyish (The Soul)” (Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts)
  • Daft Punk – “Robot Rock” vs. Queen – “We Will Rock You”
  • Daft Punk – “Short Circuit” vs. Boogie Down Productions – “Jack Of Spades”
  • Daft Punk – “Technologic” vs. Gary Numan – “Cars”
  • Daft Punk – “Television Rules the Nation” vs. No Doubt – “Hella Good”
  • David Axelrod – “The Edge” vs. Eric B. & Rakim – “Eric B. Is President”
  • Dizzee Rascal – “Fix Up, Look Sharp” vs. DJ Shadow – “Organ Donor (Extended Overhaul)”
  • Dizzee Rascal – “Fix Up, Look Sharp” vs. Justice – “Genesis”
  • DJ Shadow – “Six Days (Remix ft. Mos Def)” vs. D-Code – “Annie’s Horn”
  • Eminem – “My Name Is” vs. Beck – “Loser”
  • Fedde Le Grand – “Put Your Hands Up For Detroit” vs. Sandy Rivera and David Penn – “I Can’t Stop (David Penn Remix)”
  • Foo Fighters – “Monkey Wrench” vs. Beastie Boys – “Sabotage” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • Foreigner – “Juke Box Hero” vs. DJ Z-Trip ft. Murs – “DJ Hero” (Produced and mixed by DJ Z-Trip)
  • Foreigner – “Juke Box Hero” vs. DJ Z-Trip ft. Murs – “DJ Hero” (DJ-Guitar mix, produced and mixed by DJ Z-Trip)
  • Gang Starr – “Just To Get A Rep” vs. Mobb Deep – “Shook Ones, Pt 2″ (Produced and mixed by J. Period)
  • Gorillaz – “Feel Good Inc.” vs. Blondie – “Atomic”
  • Grandmaster Flash’s – “Boom” vs. “Tap” (Produced and mixed by Grandmaster Flash)
  • Grandmaster Flash, DJ Kool, DJ Demo – “Here Comes My DJ” vs. Gary Numan – “Cars” (Produced and mixed by Grandmaster Flash)
  • Gwen Stefani – “Hollaback Girl” vs. Gorillaz – “Feel Good Inc.”
  • Gwen Stefani – “Hollaback Girl” vs. InDeep “Last Night A DJ Saved My Life” (Produced and mixed by DJ AM)
  • Gwen Stefani – “Hollaback Girl” vs. Rick James – “Give It To Me”
  • Herbie Hancock – “Rockit” Beat Juggle
  • Herbie Hancock – “Rockit” vs. N.E.R.D. – “Lapdance” (Produced and mixed by Grandmaster Flash)
  • InDeep – “Last Night A DJ Saved My Life” vs. Cameo – “Word Up!”
  • Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back” vs. Gang Starr – “Just To Get A Rep” (Produced and mixed by DJ Yoda)
  • Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back” vs. Third Eye Blind – “Semi-Charmed Life” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back” vs. Third Eye Blind – “Semi-Charmed Life”
  • Jay-Z feat. Pharrell – “Change Clothes” vs. 2Pac – “All Eyez on Me”
  • Jay-Z – “Izzo (H.O.V.A.)” vs. Eminem – “My Name Is”
  • Jay-Z – “Izzo (H.O.V.A.)” vs. Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back”
  • Jay-Z – “Excuse Me Miss” vs. Rick James – “Give It To Me”
  • Jean Knight – “Mr. Big Stuff” vs. Masta Ace – “Born To Roll”
  • Jurassic 5 – “Jayou” vs. Billy Squier – “The Big Beat”
  • Jurassic 5 – “Jayou” vs. Herbie Hancock – “Rockit”
  • Kid Cudi – “Day ‘N’ Nite” vs. Black Eyed Peas – “Boom Boom Pow”
  • Kool Moe Dee – “How Ya Like Me Now” vs. Reel 2 Real featuring The Mad Stuntman – “I Like To Move It”
  • Little Richard – “Tutti Frutti” vs. Shlomo – “Beats” (Produced and mixed by DJ Yoda)
  • M.I.A. – “Paper Planes” vs. Eric B. & Rakim – “Eric B. Is President” (Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts)
  • M.I.A. – “Paper Planes” vs. Wale – “Lookin’ At Me”
  • Marvin Gaye – “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” vs. David Bowie – “Let’s Dance”
  • Marvin Gaye – “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” vs. Gorillaz – “Feel Good Inc.”
  • Motörhead – “Ace Of Spades” vs. Noisia – “Groundhog” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • N.A.S.A. – “Strange Enough ft. Karen O, ODB & Fatlip” vs. Isaac Hayes – “Theme From Shaft”
  • Noisia – “Groundhog” Beat Juggle (Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts)
  • Paul van Dyk – “Nothing But You” vs. Sandy Rivera and David Penn – “I Can’t Stop (David Penn Remix)”
  • Public Enemy – “Shut ‘Em Down” vs. Beck – “Where It’s At”
  • Public Enemy ft. Zakk Wylde – “Bring The Noise 20XX” vs. Justice – “Genesis” (Produced and mixed by DJ Z-Trip)
  • Public Enemy featuring Zakk Wylde – “Bring The Noise 20XX” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • Q-Tip – “Good Thang” vs. Billy Squier – “The Big Beat” (Produced and mixed by J. Period)
  • Queen – “Another One Bites The Dust” vs. Beastie Boys – “Brass Monkey” (Produced and mixed by DJ Z-Trip)
  • Queen – “Another One Bites The Dust” vs. Daft Punk – “Da Funk”
  • Rihanna – “Disturbia” vs. Kid Sister – “Control”
  • Rihanna – “Disturbia” vs. The Killers – “Somebody Told Me” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • Rihanna – “Disturbia” vs. The Trammps – “Disco Inferno”
  • Shlomo – “Beats” vs. Billy Squier – “The Big Beat”
  • Street Sweeper Social Club – “Fight! Smash! Win!” vs. Beastie Boys – “Intergalactic” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • Tears For Fears – “Shout” vs. DJ Shadow – “Six Days (Remix ft. Mos Def)”
  • Tears For Fears – “Shout” vs. Eric B. & Rakim – “Eric B. Is President” (Produced and mixed by DJ Jazzy Jeff)
  • Tears For Fears – “Shout” vs. Eric Prydz – “Pjanoo”
  • The Aranbee Pop Orchestra – “Bittersweet Symphony (Instrumental)” vs. LL Cool J – “Rock The Bells” (Produced and mixed by DJ Jazzy Jeff)
  • The Scratch Perverts Beats and Pieces (Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts)
  • The Killers – “Somebody Told Me” vs. Eric Prydz – “Pjanoo”
  • Vanilla Ice – “Ice Ice Baby” vs. MC Hammer – “U Can’t Touch This”
  • Vanilla Ice – “Ice Ice Baby” vs. Paula Abdul – “Straight Up”
  • Wale – “Lookin’ At Me” vs. Black Eyed Peas ft. Tippa Irie – “Hey Mama”
  • Weezer – “Beverly Hills” vs. Evidence, The Alchemist, Aceyalone, Rakaa & 88 Keys – “Fresh Rhymes And Videotape” (DJ-Guitar mix)
  • Wild Cherry – “Play That Funky Music” vs. Gang Starr – “Just To Get A Rep” (DJ-Guitar mix)

DLC:
Apprently there will be DLC on day 1, but no information regarding what songs yet.

MEDIA:

REVIEWS:
Games Radar: 9
GamePro: 4½/5
GameDaily: 90
TeamXbox: 8.9/10
GameInformer: 9/10 (2nd opinion: 8.75/10)
GamingTrend: 90/100
Wired: 8/10
G4: 3/5
IGN UK: 9.3
GamesMaster UK: 92%
PSM3 UK: 90%
IGN: 9.0
OXM UK: 8/10
PlanetXbox360: 8.7/10
Cheat Code Central: 4/5
GiantBomb: 4/5
Gametrailers: 8.8

CHEATS:
  • D1G? for Daft Punk unlockables
  • 5rTG for DJ Z-Trip

Controllers:
Standard Controller
dj-hero-controller-012.jpg

Limited Edition Renegade Controller
dj-hero-renegade-edition-gallery-20091021015741589.jpg

::EDIT:: Added more videos.

Swag

Nice OP, Wtf at the Renegade Edition being $200 :lol .

Will have to see how it does review wise before I pick it up, those mixes are so tempting though.

schild

I think I preferred (and the milking of the Hero franchise deserved) the previous, now locked, "official thread."

Wow, you guys are paying $200US?

I'm paying $200AU thanks to a VERY generous staff discount.

Already pre-ordered my Renegade, and Aussies get a Daft Punk album also. Can't fucking WAIT!!

Swag

hypostatic said:
I hope the Jay-Z/Eminem CD also has a normal release.

This is really the only reason I'd get the renegade edition, and that sweet gold looking turn table.

evolution

Im letting my friend take one for the team. I spin for clubs and parties as a side job so it will be interesting to see how well the feeling is captured in a game.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
I'm so pissed that I missed the Amazon 50% off trade in/double stack ECA deal. People are getting this thing for pennies on the dollar!

DarkWish

I seriously hope they release a soundtrack for the game eventually, some of the mixes sound awesome. I'm definitely getting this game, but I'll wait until after I buy a PS3 Slim.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DevelopmentArrested said:
Where's the Trance/House music? Fuck the pop shit mash-ups.
Dig through the DJ Hero Youtube channel yourself. ;P I'm mainly looking for the hip-hop and r&b stuff.

The Daft Punk megamixes will be awesome though.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Where's the Trance/House music? Fuck the pop shit mash-ups.

You've got buckley's of finding trance, but there is some very commercial house involved.

Personally, I'm praying for a 'Classic House' pack.

Stardust
Phatts and Small
Room 5
Bob Sinclair (older good Bob, not new whistling Bob)
Armand Van Helden

That would fucking KICK ASS!!!!

kylej

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
You're kidding right?

Tell me you're kidding.

Could you please link me to some trance that would be tons of fun to play along to with a plastic video game turntable controller? How much you enjoy the music is irrelevant. DJ Hero has to

1) Appeal to a wide audience
2) Give the player the feeling of scratching and juggling beats
3) Have songs that are 3 minutes long

By using mashups you allow the player to always do something with their hands.

kylej said:
Could you please link me to some trance that would be tons of fun to play along to with a plastic video game turntable controller? How much you enjoy the music is irrelevant. DJ Hero has to

1) Appeal to a wide audience
2) Give the player the feeling of scratching and juggling beats
3) Have songs that are 3 minutes long

By using mashups you allow the player to always do something with their hands.

Well, not Trance. I personally hate trance.

But I should have been more specific. I was referring to the House part of your past.

TheChaos

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Well, not Trance. I personally hate trance.

But I should have been more specific. I was referring to the House part of your past.

I'm annoyed at the lack of Drum 'n Bass in general, you can scratch the shit out of some forms of that. I guess it's not mainstream enough or something (at least to American ears).

Gabber would be crazy awesome too.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The mere fact that I can play as Daft Punk might force me to buy this game.

XiaNaphryz

Hey 1up, thanks for adding all those links to the OP. You missed the Vanilla Ice/MC Hammer one though. At least put it up there for people interested in what the Wii version looks like. ;P

tapedeck said:
The mere fact that I can play as Daft Punk might force me to buy this game.
Daft Punk doing remixes of Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer no less! ;)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is there a complete tracklist? Is Daft Punk's Harder Better...in this game? I haven't seen it on any lists or videos

Stryder

Wario64 said:
Is there a complete tracklist? Is Daft Punk's Harder Better...in this game? I haven't seen it on any lists or videos
I'm sure it will appear in one of the Daft Punk megamixes.

Looking forward to finding out exactly what they are, I think I'll keep it a surprise though (rather than checking the youtube channel).

1up

Wario64 said:

I'm going to post every video they have posted in a sec, hang on. :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think there's harder stuff than that Noisia song. The thing I still don't understand from watching the videos are those double consecutive 1-directional scratches. How do you do them so fast? It just looks like it'll be awkward pulling those off

XiaNaphryz

Wario64 said:
I think there's harder stuff than that Noisia song. The thing I still don't understand from watching the videos are those double consecutive 1-directional scratches. How do you do them so fast? It just looks like it'll be awkward pulling those off
Just throw in a quick opposite scratch between the two is my guess so that you can do the 2nd scratch in the pattern on time perhaps? Assuming the opposite scratch won't break your combo.

Where's that Activision QA dude from the old DJ Hero thread? He should know. :lol

noquarter

I keep trying to tell myself I don't want this, but that damn tracklist is looking and sounding great. Really can't wait to get this.

XiaNaphryz

Here's the track listing for the Jay-Z and Eminem CDs that are included with the Renegade Edition (source: Rolling Stone):

Jay-Z’s Renegade collection is the first best-of comp of Jigga’s career — though there’s reportedly talk of another coming in November — so Jay-Z sticks to the hits. Eminem, however, opts for deeper cuts and rarities from his arsenal, including a brand new song called “Taking My Ball” that will feature exclusively on the DJ Hero Renegade disc. Both rappers hand-selected their respective track lists.

“The tracks we put on this disc are mostly overlooked or rarer favorites of mine from all different parts of my career,” Eminem said. “I also put a brand new, unheard song on there so even the biggest fan has something new.” DJ Hero and DJ Hero Renegade Edition will both be released October 27th, but Slim Shady fans can hear “Taking My Ball” October 16th when the track debuts on Em’s Sirius radio station Shade45. In addition to the game itself and the dual hits compilations, DJ Hero Renegade will feature a premium Renegade turntable controller and a hardshell turntable carrying case that converts into a DJ stand.

The Renegade cover art was created by artist Shepard Fairey, who also produced the famous Obama Hope poster as well as the recent Obama cover of Rolling Stone.

DJ Hero Renegade: Jay-Z
“Ain’t No Nigga (featuring Foxy Brown)”
“Where I’m From”
“Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)”
“Jigga My Nigga (featuring Ruff Ryders)”
“I Just Wanna Love U (Give it 2 Me)”
“Izzo (H.O.V.A.)”
“03′ Bonnie & Clyde (featuring Beyoncé Knowles)”
“Dirt Off Your Shoulder”
“Show Me What You Got”
“Roc Boys (And the Winner Is…)”
“Brooklyn Go Hard (Featuring Santigold)”
“D.O.A. (Death of Auto Tune)”

DJ Hero Renegade: Eminem
“Taking My Ball”
“Say Goodbye to Hollywood”
“Soldier”
“The Re-Up (featuring 50 Cent)”
“Rabbit Run”
“Get U Mad”
“Bad Guys Always Die (featuring Dr. Dre)”
“Public Enemy No. 1″
“Say What You Say (featuring Dr. Dre)”
“Lose Yourself”
“Hey Lady (featuring Obie Trice)”
“One Shot 2 Shot (featuring D-12)”

Swag

Was hoping that it would be mostly new tracks but judging from the Jay Z list it seems like it's only one or two. Not really familiar with Eminem's discography

Top Bottom