• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Number 2 said:
Finally! After a break i decided to get back in and see if i could finally win that fight
the one with the dog after the cutscene when you get access to the world map
. Before i was trying to support
Dog
but this time i just said "fuck it" and let the guys come to me. Tore them up since they trickled down to me instead of having to fend off 10 at once. Took down
the alpha first
and the rest fell through with only my character falling. The others had high health at end of battle. This is on Nightmare btw. im a tactical genius! :lol

You are playing on nightmare? From what i have heard, this can only be insane.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've been at this camp for probably an hour :lol

I was neglecting talking to Saren
(My dog. Ya I know shut up fuck you)
for a while. What a mistake. The random encounters he has with the rest of the camp are gold.

Put it in when I got home from work and ended up playing for 7 hours straight. Usually I play games for about an hour or so, maybe a little longer sometimes. It's that good.

Aedile

lorddarkflare said:
Explain (not a challenge, genuinely want to know what you mean).

The bad arcade minigames, too many go-shoot-some-stuff-and-then-read-a-sentence-of-narrative sidequests and go-click-that-thing tacked-on achievements detracted from my ability to get immersed in the main plot. DA doesn't have any of those problems. I'd only dock it points for it's loot hallway zone design; maybe it's just some more of that WoW influence at work!

Re: Morrigan, I like her VA's diction. Reminds me of Katherine Hepburn, even though I assume she's a genuine Brit. As for conversation options that make her happy,
she's a Sith/Renegade/Whatever They Call It In This Game. Behave accordingly!

Ok Gaf so far you win this game is awesome....The games looks better than people have been saying it does (PS3) plus I'm bad frame rate blind so i don't notice anything wrong there. I started as a female city elf rouge and probably going to start over tho.

Origin spoilers.

It totally my fault but I don't like the way things turned out. I read that this path was like kill bill so I was all nice to everyone and so when douchebag bribed me I took it because I expect him to try to kill me right there forcing me to become a dark evil killer...instead I got my cousin raped. Then Duncan come and says "Lol your a great warrior" and takes me away with Soris will get prison raped.. It kinda left me feeling really bad.

despite that great game...schools going to suck balls tommorow

Aedile said:
The bad arcade minigames, too many go-shoot-some-stuff-and-then-read-a-sentence-of-narrative sidequests and go-click-that-thing tacked-on achievements detracted from my ability to get immersed in the main plot. DA doesn't have any of those problems. I'd only dock it points for it's loot hallway zone design; maybe it's just some more of that WoW influence at work!

Re: Morrigan, I like her VA's diction. Reminds me of Katherine Hepburn, even though I assume she's a genuine Brit. As for conversation options that make her happy,
she's a Sith/Renegade/Whatever They Call It In This Game. Behave accordingly!

Oh okay, i certainly agree and those are all huge beefs i have with the game, though none of them are what i would call 'gamey'(except for the silly achievements).

Also, i have yet to get my DA copy, but i heard that it can get a little fetch quest-y a la WoW (so says GT, a pretty reliable source IMO), to what extent do y'all believe this to be true?

Number 2 said:
i think the main problem is the lack of a healer the first 7 hours of the game. It might even be longer than 7 hours since i still havent received a character that can heal or buff yet. No heals really inflates the difficulty. That Dwarf Casteless origin story was freaking brutal with no support.. reminds me of trying to solo bosses in Wow.

_tetsuo_ said:
Tell me about it

What class are you guys playing as? I had literally no trouble in the Dwarf Commoner origin as a warrior.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
KefkaTaran said:
What class are you guys playing as? I had literally no trouble in the Dwarf Commoner origin as a warrior.

I'm a warrior. Playing on the PC version, Hard. I didn't die but every fight was very, very close.

lorddarkflare said:
Oh okay, i certainly agree and those are all huge beefs i have with the game, though none of them are what i would call 'gamey'(except for the silly achievements).

Also, i have yet to get my DA copy, but i heard that it can get a little fetch quest-y a la WoW (so says GT, a pretty reliable source IMO), to what extent do y'all believe this to be true?

Fetch quest definitely exist. They manage to be better than the mindless Mako landings though simply because combat is so fun/challenging in DA.

Ember128

Knux-Future said:
Ok Gaf so far you win this game is awesome....The games looks better than people have been saying it does (PS3) plus I'm bad frame rate blind so i don't notice anything wrong there. I started as a female city elf rouge and probably going to start over tho.

Origin spoilers.

It totally my fault but I don't like the way things turned out. I read that this path was like kill bill so I was all nice to everyone and so when douchebag bribed me I took it because I expect him to try to kill me right there forcing me to become a dark evil killer...instead I got my cousin raped. Then Duncan come and says "Lol your a great warrior" and takes me away with Soris will get prison raped.. It kinda left me feeling really bad.

despite that great game...schools going to suck balls tommorow
I swear, the person that you get hooked up with is the most effeminate elf ever, and that is saying a lot.

Knux, since you went that storyline;
"You look... radiant."

_tetsuo_ said:
I'm a warrior. Playing on the PC version, Hard. I didn't die but every fight was very, very close.

Fetch quest definitely exist. They manage to be better than the mindless Mako landings though simply because combat is so fun/challenging in DA.

Oh anything is better than the abominations that were ME quests, i just wanted to know how bad they were.

Are they like the witcher's, or are they worse?

Justin

Bioware must be staffed by mages because I swear that this game creates some kind of time warp. Another 5 hours goes by in the blink of an eye. Why cant 5 hours at work go by that quick?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Fredescu said:
Why is a non-Bioware developed expansion the more obvious pararallel to this?

Because he has played both of them, as have I and has noticed how much of MotB has made its way into Dragon Age.
the Fade area where you get the four fade powers might as well be called the Mask of the Betrayer chapter

Ember128

SonOfABeep said:
The Question IS: PC or 360?

$10 gift card with purchase at best buy, or use my store credit at Toys R Us - but only 360 version for sale there...

My laptop is this
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-x83vm-x1-core/4505-3121_7-33361040.html

Processor 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory 4,096MB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
Hard drive 320GB, 5,400rpm
Chipset Intel GM45 Express
Graphics 1GB Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS

Can I run this game well? I never understand the comparisons between laptop cards and desktop. L4D2 demo runs great on full settings at max resolution for my screen.
You have a laptop, so I'm saying no. It will probably run ok, but in this case 360.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Man, some of these fights are geared in such a way that if your setup doesnt fit the scenario you dont have a chance on normal.

In Denerim, the sidequest about
The Secret Blood Mage Enclave

Near the end, theres a room with 3 doors leading into it, with 2 cone of cold mages on the edges and a fireball mage way in the back center. Add a warrior per each "edge" mage and 4 for the fireball one, you can't even fucking walk 5 feet through the door without getting wrecked. Pulling them doesnt work, they wont come into the corridor. Even a mass sleep that knocked 70% of them out wasn't enough because you can't kill the mages fast enough. ARG.

you can pull them, at least I did. You think that is rough, the last fight in that area will have you pulling your hair out. It is one of those with a cutscene at the start so your party starts bunched up nice and close for the instacast fireball that comes screaming in before you can get out of the way. Orange-con blood mage a yellow-con cornrow warrior and a couple other easy mobs, I'm lucky to kill anything before my party gets wiped(I'm lvl 10 or 11 trying this).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gah, the wait to get off work and get home to play this is tormenting!

I'm sitting here contemplating what I am going to do in the game when I get back. I stopped last night in the middle of the
Fade part in the Magi tower with three of the four transformations
and can't wait to get back to it.

I am also already planning my second playthrough. I think I'm going to go through as a dual wielding Dwarf from the streets and just be a ruthless asshole to everyone.

bigswords

GOD-damnit, can the people who write the manual make up their fucking mind? Or give some stats? Some of us do know how to read.

Question: Let's say I want to make a rouge which is good at the bow.

A) put some into str?
B) Or maximise my benefit to my other skills and pump it all into dex?

This is what the damn manual says in 2 different sections. At least tell us what it does? This game has no respec button.

Blah blah Unlike shortbows and longbows, crossbows do not gain extra damage based on a character’s strength modifier, so particularly strong characters may do less damage with a crossbow—although since merely wielding a longbow or shortbow requires significant dexterity, only well balanced charactersare able to use all types of high-quality bows. Warriors and rogues have access to the archery school of talents, which teaches them how to fire a number of trick shots and how to better protect themselveswhile wielding a bow or crossbow.

Blah blah Greater dexterity also increases the damage inflicted by piercing weapons like daggers and arrows, since the character is able to maneuver the weapon’s tip more deftly. .

Ember128 said:
I swear, the person that you get hooked up with is the most effeminate elf ever, and that is saying a lot.

Knux, since you went that storyline;
"You look... radiant."

Yeah he was...what happened to him?...I kinda said by to my dad and bounced.

can you have more than one character going on or when you select new game your previous gets erased?

bathala

Banned
Zeliard said:
Sten is a pretty cool guy, if rather solemn, but I think he's sadly gonna have to warm the bench once I get Shale.
I was kinda weirded out recruiting him, but his moment with ur dog (human noble) during the campfire won me :p

Ceebs

Wren said:
Oh god I must be doing something wrong, there can be no other explanation.

Im currently
in the ice temple attempting to retrieve some chicks ashes
and im getting rolled by almost every encounter.

My god its even set to easy! This damn game is just merciless.

I am playing my main character as a control mage, so I have tons of crowd control and it still took me multiple reloads, quicksaves, and different strategies to get through there.

Have you gotten t o the part that starts to mix mages and drakes? That is when it gets rough.

hyduK

Banned
Finished all the quests (well, the ones that didn't require me to leave the area) in
Lothering
. I went to the
Magi
area first so I could recruit a healer. Hit level 7, so now I have to find someone who can train me to specialize in Berserking.

This game is seriously addicting. The last SP game that hooked me in this much was probably Mass Effect...unfortunately by this point ME was over, but in DA I'm just scratching the surface. Playing on Normal (PC) and it feels perfectly balanced...I die sometimes, but I can't blame it on anyone but myself, and it's always fun going back and CCing in different ways.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Snapshot King said:
Man, some of these fights are geared in such a way that if your setup doesnt fit the scenario you dont have a chance on normal.

In Denerim, the sidequest about
The Secret Blood Mage Enclave

Near the end, theres a room with 3 doors leading into it, with 2 cone of cold mages on the edges and a fireball mage way in the back center. Add a warrior per each "edge" mage and 4 for the fireball one, you can't even fucking walk 5 feet through the door without getting wrecked. Pulling them doesnt work, they wont come into the corridor. Even a mass sleep that knocked 70% of them out wasn't enough because you can't kill the mages fast enough. ARG.

My tricks to that fight were (at least on the consoles) was the following:
1 - Bring Morrigan and two tanks (Shale and Oghren/Alistair). Use Morrigan as a controller with Fear, Horror, etc.
2 - Use glyphs or traps so you keep the enemies at bay.
3 - Use AoE spells on the enemies in adjacent rooms (such as mass lightning and what not) so you get the jump on all their enemies.
4 - Freeze any mage you see with spells (or any similar spell where it sets them out of the combat)
5 - Heal your tanks as fast as you can with potions by manually telling them to do so (or if you are a mage, use your healing powers if you have any)
6 - Use the salves for heat and cold.
7 - When all else fails, run away and drag the melee enemies into another room so you are out of the view of the mages and archers.

When I played it on the PC, it was much harder. On the consoles, I didn't let the grease slick affect me and I was able to send AoE spells through walls and the enemies would be stuck trying to figure out where the attack came lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
bathala said:
I was kinda weirded out recruiting him, but his moment with ur dog (human noble) during the campfire won me :p

I felt bad for Sten a few times since my other PCs would have over 100 to 200 kills and he would be in the low teens since I barely use the fella. So I would include him in quests that were meaningless so he could get some playing time, even if it didn't count since the "game" was already won earlier lol. He's my walking and not so much talking cigar when it comes to random quests.

Burger

Pretty annoyed about the Wardens Keep DLC.

I was talking to some character, he was talking about his name being mud, and that if I helped him I could claim our ancient fortress back.

Sweet as I thought, no problemo. Then I'm prompted to get my fucking credit card out and buy some sort of points. What the fuck ? Didn't I just pay for the game ? Or did I just pay for the base version, of which the expansion packs are already out ?

Fuck that. I thought that stupid screenshot floating around was bullshit.

Woo-Fu said:
you can pull them, at least I did. You think that is rough, the last fight in that area will have you pulling your hair out. It is one of those with a cutscene at the start so your party starts bunched up nice and close for the instacast fireball that comes screaming in before you can get out of the way. Orange-con blood mage a yellow-con cornrow warrior and a couple other easy mobs, I'm lucky to kill anything before my party gets wiped(I'm lvl 10 or 11 trying this).

What? Really? I wiped those guys out on my first try, no sweat.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Quest givers in the town. Job boards with quest. Renegade mage potato sack's full of quest. This is getting out of control.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Burger said:

I was talking to some character, he was talking about his name being mud, and that if I helped him I could claim our ancient fortress back.

Sweet as I thought, no problemo. Then I'm prompted to get my fucking credit card out and buy some sort of points. What the fuck ? Didn't I just pay for the game ? Or did I just pay for the base version, of which the expansion packs are already out ?

Yeah... I gotta say the way they implemented that stuff is pretty shady. I was ready to buy into their explanation that the DLC was worked on after the game was finished and would not have been released otherwise, but I find that a little hard to believe when they have an advertisement like that where the player gets "lead on" by an in-game NPC in the base game. I'm happy to have all of the DLC from the collector's edition, but damn that would be shitty for someone who just bought the standard game. You really shouldn't be getting pressured inside of the game to spend more money to unlock super cool content when you just dropped $50 - $60 on the game in the first place.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dumbass question - what skill do you need to open locked chests? I haven't been able to open a chest since getting to the first town.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
firehawk12 said:
Dumbass question - what skill do you need to open locked chests? I haven't been able to open a chest since getting to the first town.

A rogue or a key. Leliana is a rogue and starts out with 2nd lvl lock picking skills.

guidop

Over 10 hours in and I'm smiling ear to ear the last mission was amazing. It really required me to think and plan my tactics before I faced off against each group of foes, the combat depth is really rewarding. The boss fight was a welcome change though the following story arch has been the highlight of the game so far

Fredescu

Woo-Fu said:
Because he has played both of them, as have I and has noticed how much of MotB has made its way into Dragon Age.
the Fade area where you get the four fade powers might as well be called the Mask of the Betrayer chapter
Now that I've played both, I see what you mean. I still think it's unfair to compare the two, and I don't have any expectations that this will be better than MoTB in story.

fanboi

Banned
Played untill I was recruited by the Greys (magi origin as an Elf)
and this is probably the first time I feel like a failure since I helped the Blood Mage and I even thought "Hmm, he probably is a blood mage... but... no he is your friend and he is probably honest..." yeah right I almost wanted to redo it since I want him dead :)

g23

European pre-madonna
Can someone give me a quick verdict on the console version of the game? (Especially controls and UI)

koji

Data errors when installing the Digital Deluxe Ed. from the EAstore, this is just lovely, will probably have to redownload the entire thing tonight.

Ah well, my boxed CE is available at my retail store so I can pick that up after work, atleast that'll cheer me up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, yeah, I need a rogue to open chests. Go figure. :lol

I kind of wish it used the Mass Effect system though, where your party has the skills, not each character. I don't know why I need to switch to the rogue just to use her skills when the game knows that she's in my party. Oh well.

markot

Banned
koji said:
Data errors when installing the Digital Deluxe Ed. from the EAstore, this is just lovely, will probably have to redownload the entire thing tonight.

Ah well, my boxed CE is available at my retail store so I can pick that up after work, atleast that'll cheer me up.
Sad how bad the EAstore is >.<

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
g23 said:
Can someone give me a quick verdict on the console version of the game? (Especially controls and UI)
It is definitely playable, but I can see things getting hectic since you only have 6 slots for a character's abilities during the fights.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Iso is definitely the way to go for looks.

4076716737_3205108d71_b.jpg

bathala

Banned
Burger said:

also it has two achievements 25pts each

they knew they will have Warden's keep DLC even before the game was done. shady

g0atcheese

Neo Member
Got the game today and am enjoying it thoroughly so far. Bioware always nails the perfect feel for a third person game.

I was never really a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate I just new this would be a lot better :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Holy shit this area isn't even necessary for the main story. I've picked up 13 quest here, I think :lol

Top Bottom