• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

JimPanzer

Really ? I mean when it's natively implemented sure but I thought driver-forced AO was always very expensive.

The game needs to have a HBAO+ profile though.

Forcing it through drivers in MGS V had like a 10% performance impact, so not really that much.

Blitzhex

any quick settings I can tweak to increase performance?

it's crazy how games like Wolfenstein look so much better and run so much smoother.. this game looks pretty bad IMO and runs awful.. reminds me of Far Cry 3

IdTech 5 and megatextures are something else entirely, but I agree the game doesn't perform proportional to its graphics. Kinda disappointed with its performance with a 970 @ 3440x1440.
Putting godrays to low and shadow quality to medium rest high/ultra gave me a good performance boost.

dity

Huh I didn't think it would run on gpu's with less than 2gb vram. Do you have ingame screenshots? I'd like to see what it looks like.
It definitely runs, just like MGSV:TPP (even though Konami it said it needed a minimum of 2GB too)

That's a little extreme =P

120hz is not going to be possible until they completely redesign the physics implementation. I doubt that will happen for TES6 either. We're looking at next gen consoles at the earliest there. As for FOV changes, doesn't the old Skyrim trick work? Tweak the ini files. Find the Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini in the documents/my games/Fallout 4 directory and add the following lines to the [Display] section:

fDefaultWorldFOV=100
fDefault1stPersonFOV=100

Change 100 to whatever FOV you want. Default is 80.

I'm a little drunk :p I'll admit, its been a long work week. I was looking forward to coming home to a little Fallout. I've been spoiled by the general state of the PC industry. It has been awhile since i've run into gamestopping bugs. I literally can't move out of the vault.

I know, I know, i'm running specialized hardware. It's what I deserve. I avoid AMD CPUs, SLI setups, PhysX cards, all that complexity crap, and just try to run the standard, except I have a soft spot for 120hz... and this time it bit me in the ass, and now I can't move out of the vault without running some framerate limiting setting or software, and i'm sure it'll be super easy but i'm buzzed and can't be bothered at the moment.

I know. I'm being a bitch about it all. It's just, it's been almost a decade since i've run into this kind of thing, at least since Skyrim when my items starting flying across the map randomly, and... lets just say i'm glad this is the only developer I have to encounter this stuff with.

That I still have to fiddle with inis to change something simple like the FOV (when you can change two separate colours of the UI, something Elite Dangerous wont even let you do) and still run into gamestopping framerate issues... I don't know...

I've loved these games since Morrowind when I started there, but it's kind of crazy to me that this stuff is still going on.

I'll sober up and get over it

Blizzard

Banned
770 4gb
i5-3570@4,0GHz

Decent chance to run it at 60fps/1080p on high/ultra?
You probably have a decent chance. I just got to
Lexington
since someone was saying the performance was bad there, and I only found one spot that briefly dropped to 45. I couldn't really reproduce it, since it went back to 60 with little dips after that, almost as if something had loaded or streamed in.

I have a GTX 770 2GB and i5-3570k at 4.2 GHz, screen resolution 1920x1080, and most everywhere has been 60 before that area using autodetected settings (high with ultra textures?). Even that area is mostly fine. The places that are frustrating are indoors where movement is very stuttery while framerate still reads 60.

ru55lee

Neo Member
I am having some insane stuttering. I have tried all the fixes on here but nothing works. It's like as soon as my framerate drops to like 59.99 it becomes a stutter-fest. Really unplayable.

Mainly happens when I am inside a building for some reason

Sanctuary

This game has console like loading times on a mechanical drive, which is unheard of. Even Skyrim and TW3 loaded faster on my mechanicals. I transferred those to SSD anyway, just like this game, but good lord. 20s+ loading times for fast travel or entering a building? No thanks. Can't imagine what it's like on the actual consoles.

Roni

Gold Member
I am having some insane stuttering. I have tried all the fixes on here but nothing works. It's like as soon as my framerate drops to like 59.99 it becomes a stutter-fest. Really unplayable.

Mainly happens when I am inside a building for some reason

I've noticed something like this on Vault 111 during the intro. Not game breaking for me, but it's there.

I'm a little drunk :p I'll admit, its been a long work week. I was looking forward to coming home to a little Fallout. I've been spoiled by the general state of the PC industry. It has been awhile since i've run into gamestopping bugs. I literally can't move out of the vault.

I know, I know, i'm running specialized hardware. It's what I deserve. I avoid AMD CPUs, SLI setups, PhysX cards, all that complexity crap, and just try to run the standard, except I have a soft spot for 120hz... and this time it bit me in the ass, and now I can't move out of the vault without running some framerate limiting setting or software, and i'm sure it'll be super easy but i'm buzzed and can't be bothered at the moment.

I know. I'm being a bitch about it all. It's just, it's been almost a decade since i've run into this kind of thing, at least since Skyrim when my items starting flying across the map randomly, and... lets just say i'm glad this is the only developer I have to encounter this stuff with.

That I still have to fiddle with inis to change something simple like the FOV (when you can change two separate colours of the UI, something Elite Dangerous wont even let you do) and still run into gamestopping framerate issues... I don't know...

I've loved these games since Morrowind when I started there, but it's kind of crazy to me that this stuff is still going on.

I'll sober up and get over it

Hehe. Yeah it's definitely odd to see they still aren't adding an in-game option for FOV changes. I've just tested the .ini method though and it definitely works. You only need to edit the Fallout4.ini, not the Fallout4Prefs.ini as well, and add the following lines to the bottom of the [Display] section:

fDefaultWorldFOV=100
fDefault1stPersonFOV=100

The first line is third person, the second first person. I leave the first at 70 because I only use third person to look at my character, and smaller FOV values mean I can get a closer look at full zoom in =)

As for 120fps, I guess that's one of those quality of life improvements where you don't appreciate it until you've tried it, and then you don't want to go back (kind of like a SSD)? Sorry you can't enjoy that properly with this engine. I guess that's a risk you take by adopting an enthusiast setting.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Got a pretty solid 60fps now so I'm happy. Playing at 1080p with my i5-4590/16GB/290 4GB.

my settings:

HCk3nAT.png

Arkanius

Got a pretty solid 60fps now so I'm happy. Playing at 1080p with my i5-4590/16GB/290 4GB.

my settings:

HCk3nAT.png

AMD users also suggest setting the Tesselation in the CCC to 8x to even minimize more the impact of Godrays since even on Low, NVIDIA cranks the tesselation value way too much.

I have been getting drops
near the factory
(early location) down to 35-40fps when looking at particular spots around. Smh. It ran good up to this point...

Everything set at ultra except god rays.
I5 4690
GTX 970
16gb ram

I'm the same. Runs more or less flawlessly outside of there and a few other dense urban areas.

I honestly have no idea. The rest of your system will cream this game though. Everything on Ultra except at godrays at 60fps 1080p, so honestly I'd say go for it, see how it runs, and if it doesn't cope with 6GB then RAM is dirt cheap these days anyway =)

Thanks. I'll just give it a try; steam refunds mean that I'm safe anyway.
Gonna get back here (and on the steam forums) with RAM and SSD usage stats in case other people are worried about the listed 8GB RAM minimum.

RulkezX

2500k @ 4.4ghz
7970GE 3GB
8GB ram
Windows 10

Almost everything ultra, god rays low, decals high, one of the shadow options high = 50-60 in most areas, though the game feels stuttery ( even when it's 60). Playing in borderless windowed @ 1080.

I'm largely happy with performance and how good the game looks.

Kojaq

On a i7 4790k and 980ti at ultra solid 60 only notice fps drops when I'm on top of a building looking into the distance, beside that running really solid.

scitek

I've made it a habit of using MSI Afterburner (well, RTSS) to cap my framerate and set vsync through drivers for every single game I play. I suggest trying it if you haven't yet and are experiencing frame judder or tearing.

Kade

Does anyone else have this weird issue where text entry is backwards? I have to input my name and console commands backwards. Also, FOV doesn't persist when I change it in console, reverting back to its original value when the console closes.

Hale_C

For those people experiencing stuttering indoors despite high fps, try using RivaTuner Statistics Server and lock your fps to 60. I don't know why it works, but for me it totally removed that annoying indoor stuttering.

beeswax

I've made it a habit of using MSI Afterburner (well, RTSS) to cap my framerate and set vsync through drivers for every single game I play. I suggest trying it if you haven't yet and are experiencing frame judder or tearing.
Same here, I got so tired of doing it for every game that I just set a Global 60fps cap in RTSS and enabled V-Sync in the Nvidia Control panel by default. Cases where this causes problems are so rare that it's less work to very occasionally have to change these than it is to RTSS cap and Nvidia CP V-Sync every new game executable.

Blitzhex

Stutter free game for me required:

1. Disabling ingame vsync in falloutprefs
iPresentInterval=0

2. Enabling exclusive fullscreen mode in falloutprefs
bBorderless=0
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bFull Screen=1

3. Enable Nvidia Vsync (not adaptive).

4. 60 fps RTSS limit for a bit less mouse input lag.

This is if you can run 60 fps all the time. If you can't, then remove the RTSS limit, or set it to 61, and enable adaptive vsync. If you have gsync then just step 1 and 2 will suffice. Also disable mouse accel in fallout4.ini bMouseAcceleration=0 , it adds a stupid amount of mouse lag.

My kingdom for working HBAO+ compatibility bits.

Someone claims he found a working flag for the game, I can't confirm since I don't have the game yet but you can try it out and see if it works :)
"Found a flag for Fallout 4. It's 0x00140000 (lords of the fallen) flag. Works pretty well for me so far. I'll have to test further as it's late, but others can try it out. On windows 7 fyi " -syklonis
(On the HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread on Guru3D)

Someone claims he found a working flag for the game, I can't confirm since I don't have the game yet but you can try it out and see if it works :)
"Found a flag for Fallout 4. It's 0x00140000 (lords of the fallen) flag. Works pretty well for me so far. I'll have to test further as it's late, but others can try it out. On windows 7 fyi " -syklonis
(On the HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread on Guru3D)

Cheers will try.

Shredderi

Seems to have worked great so far. Thanks!

Played for about 2hours yesterday and am getting 40-60fps @4K. FXAA, God Ray low, shadows at medium, everything else ultra.

6700k @ 4.6 Ghz
16gb ddr4
980ti 1495/7800

Mindman

For those people experiencing stuttering indoors despite high fps, try using RivaTuner Statistics Server and lock your fps to 60. I don't know why it works, but for me it totally removed that annoying indoor stuttering.

Yes do this people! This is how you fix stuttering in Gamebryo games. This fix has worked in F3 and Skyrim for me as well as this game. Someone sticky this lol

Ragona

2500k @ 4,2
390 nitro
8 gb ram

Had to turn godrays to low, shadows and shadow distance to medium and 2-3 other effects a step down to get permanent 60 fps at 1080p.

Was hoping it would be with only godrays low

daninthemix

Yes do this people! This is how you fix stuttering in Gamebryo games. This fix has worked in F3 and Skyrim for me as well as this game. Someone sticky this lol

Is there an iFPSclamp variable in one of the INI files? That always got rid of stuttering for me in previous Bethesda games.

Gumbie

iPresentInterval=0

bBorderless=0
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bFull Screen=1

This is if you can run 60 fps all the time. If you can't, then remove the RTSS limit, or set it to 61, and enable adaptive vsync. If you have gsync then just step 1 and 2 will suffice. Also disable mouse accel in fallout4.ini bMouseAcceleration=0 , it adds a stupid amount of mouse lag.

You're a god among men. This completely eliminated my studdering and it's soooooo much better now.

I have been getting drops
near the factory
(early location) down to 35-40fps when looking at particular spots around. Smh. It ran good up to this point...

Everything set at ultra except god rays.
I5 4690
GTX 970
16gb ram

Yeah, exact same spot. I posted earlier about it. It's not the only spot like that either, most city areas have that slowdown.

iPresentInterval=0

bBorderless=0
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bFull Screen=1

Does this get ride of the massive frame drops in the cities? Like near the Corvega factory (~30FPS drop on top of the factory) or in most city situations.

Ce-Lin

running 99,99% 1080p 60 fps on a 4790K + GTX 970 + 16 GB DDR3, also I installed it on an old C2Q6600 oc'd to 3.2 + 660 Ti 3 GB machine (4 GB DDR2 system RAM) and with medium/high settings at 1080p it runs at 40-45 fps all the time, just force adaptive vsync (30 fps) and here you have the "mighty" 8 year old CPU beating console performance with half the RAM.

Top Bottom