• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

angrylamp

Neo Member
I'm stuck on the AMD, and too many frames. Trying to figure a better way of capping this shit.

Getting stuck on terminals, walking to fast, and can't lockpick.

Frak

Soulflarz

Banned
GTX 980 i7 4790k and 16gigs of ram

Well basically everything maxed, no stutter now. Cool. Even god rays on high :V

edit: Vysnc is off in the .ini, on in NVIDIA control panel, and I also turned mouse accel off in the ini. About all I did to it.

Thaedolus

Ok so reset all settings, did a clean driver install. Only forced off vsync and capped the FPS at 60 in Nvidia inspector. Seems like this is the best fix, no screen tearing or input lag, terminal bug gone.

I wish I figured this out last night

I'm not sure WTF is going on. Gsync isn't limiting frames, seemingly only some version of vsync in the game does. If I set my monitor's refresh rate to 60hz in the Nvidia control panel, it limits the FPS to 60 but the game is juttery as fuck with awful input lag. It does fix the terminal glitch, though.

It doesn't seem like Gsync is actually doing anything, because if I don't have my monitor at 60hz, then my frames will jump into the thousands on the intro video and title...if Gsync were active it shouldn't go above 144.

Trying to use Nvidia inspector hasn't done much but break the game more it seems...
Just use rtss to limit frame. Leave refresh rate and such alone.

For anyone who's running a similar build:
i7-4770k
GTX 760 2GB
16GB RAM

I've got the game on the HIGH preset with all the distance sliders, except Actor Fade, at max.

Getting easily above 30fps, so you can cap it there. I'm more or less getting a consistent 50+fps. There are drops to 40-45 fps however.

My desktop has the same graphics card and amount of ram but it has an A10 5800K. Wonder how it will perform in this game.

Did anyone else try this flag? Doesn't seem to be working for me

Had to reinstall inspector but got it to work finally

ezgif.com-gif-makerk1rlr.gif

Stutter free game for me required:

1. Disabling ingame vsync in falloutprefs
iPresentInterval=0

2. Enabling exclusive fullscreen mode in falloutprefs
bBorderless=0
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bFull Screen=1

3. Enable Nvidia Vsync (not adaptive).

4. 60 fps RTSS limit for a bit less mouse input lag.

This is if you can run 60 fps all the time. If you can't, then remove the RTSS limit, or set it to 61, and enable adaptive vsync. If you have gsync then just step 1 and 2 will suffice. Also disable mouse accel in fallout4.ini bMouseAcceleration=0 , it adds a stupid amount of mouse lag.
Quoting this for later. Thanks!

aravuus

Looks like just putting the 60fps limit on rivatuner worked, at least I didn't notice any juddering or stuttering or mouse laggering during the last couple of minutes. Hope it works.

e: as opposed to Blitzhex otherwise great post. Couldn't get rid of the mouse lag which I'm not seeing now.

e2: still stuttering. this fucking game.

Soulflarz

Banned

Ruff

Seems shadows Distance was the main offender for my loss of FPS. I put it down to medium and I gained 20fps for a solid 60fps on my r9 280 with no noticeable change (IMO)

daninthemix

I do get the occasional drop from 60, and I assume later on (if posts here are to be believed) it's going to drop significantly more. Should I not try this fix then?

Still worth trying I think. You might just get slowdown when the frame-rate drops. I never had any problems in past games using the setting, but one guy did some tests in New Vegas and had some...interesting results.

SiPetrikov

Neo Member
Windows 10 64 bit
i5-3570K 3.40GHz
GTX 770 2GB
8GB RAM
358.91 drivers

Having a really terrible time with crashes. Performance is great when it works. Most things on high and I get consistent 1080/60. But every half an hour or so (sometimes more often) it crashes to a black screen and goes completely unresponsive. From the event logs I'm thinking it's a driver issue. I have no real idea of what to do apart from uninstalling them and starting over with a clean install.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
so I have a gtx 680 and with everything set to Ultra (save Sun Rays on low) I am getting a steady 60fps at 1080p. I actually pretty surprised by this.

There is a ton of stutter though, which is really distracting. I don't know if its microstutter, but it sucks and doesn't seem to cause the frame rate to drop. Anyone know of a way to fix it? Would running windowed borderless help?

Alright, here goes.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3,2Ghz
AMD HD 7870 OC edition 2GB
8GB of Memory
Windows 7

The game is running at 40-50ish fps most of the time, from exploring the wasteland to the little towns like Concord. It managed to hold low 40s with some drop to 30s in the town where the raider factory is located. That's the lowest deep I've ever seen so far.

Settings and screen:
I have a 4GB 7870 and a 3570k so this is definitely encouraging to see. Thanks for posting. I might actually grab the game on PC now.

For anyone else that's suffering crazy low performance in bigger cities (e.g. Lexington), you gotta lower your shadow distance to medium.

I have shadow distance to medium and godrays to low and I'm finally getting 60 FPS where I was getting 42 FPS before.

980ti @ 1440p, all other settings ultra.

beeswax

For anyone else that's suffering crazy low performance in bigger cities (e.g. Lexington), you gotta lower your shadow distance to medium.

I have shadow distance to medium and godrays to low and I'm finally getting 60 FPS where I was getting 42 FPS before.

980ti @ 1440p, all other settings ultra.
Duly noted for when me and my 980 (at 1080p) get to Lexington, thanks.

deoee

Where is this Fallout4.ini with the iFPSClamp=60 command?
Can not find it inside my Fallout 4 Folders?!

Nevermind, it's inside the documents :D

KKRT00

There is something strange about performance in this game and smoothness.

I've locked framerate to 40 and indoors with a lot of details the smoothness is worse than in wilderness when scrolling camera.
I dont know if its due to the lighting or close up details, but it looks differently. Or maybe GSync works better in lower contrast, i dont know, but it looks weird.

The only frame rate drops I get seem to be out in the wasteland rather than in the cities and that's more due to streaming in the cells/lod etc as it usually clears up.
That said it has dropped a bit now and again. But I'm 60fps 75% or more.
That's with a 980, 4970k and 16GBRAM@2133mhz. Newest drivers too. And at 2103x1183 and Ultra across the board.

Having a whale of a time too. Played 13hrs non stop yesterday and not one crash or weird glitch. Pretty solid performance.

KKRT00

The motion blur in this game is the worst. Every time I move my screen gets covered in vaseline.
What motion blur? It doesnt have motion blur, except for Radial Blur from older Bethesda titles.

Unless there is some magic command to activate it.

KingErich

Banned
i5 2500
16GB RAM
770 2GB

Running the game at the detected high preset @1080p. It runs mostly at 60fps with drops into the 50's. I haven't ran into any weather effects or big battles yet.

I do experience weird micro stutters though, intermittently.

Roni

Gold Member

iPresentInterval=0

bBorderless=0
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bFull Screen=1

This is if you can run 60 fps all the time. If you can't, then remove the RTSS limit, or set it to 61, and enable adaptive vsync. If you have gsync then just step 1 and 2 will suffice. Also disable mouse accel in fallout4.ini bMouseAcceleration=0 , it adds a stupid amount of mouse lag.

Does this mean Fallout 4's default fullscreen option is not really fullscreen, but borderless fullscreen?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
i5 2500
16GB RAM
770 2GB

Running the game at the detected high preset @1080p. It runs mostly at 60fps with drops into the 50's. I haven't ran into any weather effects or big battles yet.

I do experience weird micro stutters though, intermittently.

Makes me very happy to hear!

b0bbyJ03

is it better to combine a 60fps RTSS cap with regular vsync (using NVCP for either) or adaptive vsync? I'm new to using RTSS. Thanks.

Does anybody with a g-sync monitor experience stuttering? I'm hoping that protects me.

edit: I guess Blitzhex's post kinda answers my question.

Omadahl

Banned
Am I the only one who can't find the mouse acceleration option in the ini file? I did a search, scrolled up and down but I can't find it.

jorimt

I don't know if anyone else has posted this already, but unlike previous Fallout games, it looks like instead of having to make custom changes in the main ini files and setting them to read only, you can go to the Documents/My Games/Fallout 4/ directory and use the Fallout4Custom.ini to make them.

So far every change I've tried has worked by putting them in that file only; no read only, or modification to the other files required.

On a side note, the "iFPSClamp=60" command completely cured my micro-stutter issue. I really wonder why the devs didn't include it at default.

For anyone who's running a similar build:
i7-4770k
GTX 760 2GB
16GB RAM

I've got the game on the HIGH preset with all the distance sliders, except Actor Fade, at max.

Getting easily above 30fps, so you can cap it there. I'm more or less getting a consistent 50+fps. There are drops to 40-45 fps however.

I have a nearly identical rig... What do most people here suggest I do if I want to lock my framerate to say 40 fps so I have a consistent frame rate?

rNilla

Looks like I may actually have a chance of running this on PC! I'm still conflicted between that and PS4 but I'd prefer PC.

i5-3570
7950 3GB
8GB RAM
SSD

The only downside is I have a giant 3440x1440 monitor.

Red Comet

So what happens with g-sync on a 144hz monitor when I cap my frames at 60FPS with Nvidia inspector? Does it still do its magic, or would that mess with it somehow?

This terminal glitch is annoying.

aravuus

Okay, dropped my monitor's refresh rate to 100hz and enabled Nvidia's v-sync and triple buffering. Caps the framerate to 100fps, which still isn't perfect, but at least it's not running at triple speed when inside lol. No stuttering and mouse lag is, uh, manageable, too.

Does this mean Fallout 4's default fullscreen option is not really fullscreen, but borderless fullscreen?

No, it's definitely full screen

Xbudz

GTX 980 i7 4790k and 16gigs of ram

Well basically everything maxed, no stutter now. Cool. Even god rays on high :V

edit: Vysnc is off in the .ini, on in NVIDIA control panel, and I also turned mouse accel off in the ini. About all I did to it.

Can somebody tell me which .ini needs to be edited to disable vsync and what the command is? Thank you.

Edit, I'm dumb.

iPresentInterval=0

bBorderless=0
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bFull Screen=1

Top Bottom