• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

dawid

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure one of the benefits of running borderless is that you don't have to mess with vsync. I found using RTSS added more stutter than leaving the .ini alone. I have a 60Hz monitor and run borderless windowed and haven't much stuttering.

Yes, but since the game freaks out at a framerate over 60 i need to lock it down somehow. And both fps-locks at 58, 60 and 62fps results in different types of stuttering. :(

Yes, but since the game freaks out at a framerate over 60 i need to lock it down somehow. And both fps-locks at 58, 60 and 62fps results in different types of stuttering. :(

Don't lock it at all with RTSS, and don't unlock the framerate in the .ini file.

c0Zm1c

It's not the best thing to do, but set it to "Force alternate frame rendering 2". It gets the job done well until we get proper support.

untitled-3wasvq.png

I tried this last night and it was the cause of all my game crashes. It was crashing every 15 minutes with this setting enabled. I changed it back to default and no crashes the rest of the night. Everyone should wait until they release proper SLI profiles.

Seems it works great for the 700 series

It's been working fine with my GTX690.

Soulflarz

Banned
still getting an easy 60fps with custom stuff, ugh.

Waiting for graphical mods, unless adding ugrids is actually going to offset that.

Is there a video showcasing this? I haven't experienced this yet. Currently playing @ locked 72fps.

dk_

The performance at some spots in cities is pretty bad for me. -15 frames instead of solid 60.

God rays low. Every other setting doesn't change a thing for me.

GTX 970

LeBart

Anyone found a fix for the dualshock 4 not working properly?
When using DS4tool I get double inputs and when I'm not the button prompts are wrong (but not always, which is annoying).

So what happens with g-sync on a 144hz monitor when I cap my frames at 60FPS with Nvidia inspector? Does it still do its magic, or would that mess with it somehow?

This terminal glitch is annoying.

I turned my g-sync off and the terminal freeze stopped. How do I use Nvidia inspector to limit frame rate? I downloaded it but couldn't figure out how to do it.

doomquake

Hi all, what are the settings to increase texture detail distance? Somehow its feeling blurry even after messing around with the entries in the ini (as documented on the cached version of geforce tweak guide posted here). I guess maybe removing antialiasing and just downsampling.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Surprised at how well this game is running for me so far. Running pretty much the minimum specs, and I'm getting a pretty stable performance on medium so far. I was worried it was going to be a slideshow, but so far, so good.

i5-3570k
8 GB Ram
HD7870

I miss that one time when my framerate was like 600-800 during lockpick (only during that, then it went back to 100-110). I'd rather have broken physics than this goddamn stuttering.

justjim89

Stutter free game for me required:

1. Disabling ingame vsync in falloutprefs
iPresentInterval=0

2. Enabling exclusive fullscreen mode in falloutprefs
bBorderless=0
bTopMostWindow=0
bMaximizeWindow=0
bFull Screen=1

3. Enable Nvidia Vsync (not adaptive).

4. 60 fps RTSS limit for a bit less mouse input lag.

This is if you can run 60 fps all the time. If you can't, then remove the RTSS limit, or set it to 61, and enable adaptive vsync. If you have gsync then just step 1 and 2 will suffice. Also disable mouse accel in fallout4.ini bMouseAcceleration=0 , it adds a stupid amount of mouse lag.

This still didn't work for me. Am I supposed to be changing the FalloutPrefs in the Fallout 4 folder or in my Documents? Because changing the one in the Fallout 4 folder never does anything it seems like.

Now when I try to launch the game I just get a black screen until the game crashes.

This is really frustrating. I just want to play the game at my computer's native resolution and borderless windowed mode won't let me do that.

GRaider81

When using DS4tool I get double inputs and when I'm not the button prompts are wrong (but not always, which is annoying).

Yeah I'm getting that problem too.

Getting close to buying an X1 or steam controller. Have nothing but probs with DS4 sadly

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I haven't been playing with DS4 but typically the double input issue happens with DS4tool/DS4Windows you need to enable "Hide DS4" in the settings.

justjim89

Every time I try to change the display settings in the falloutprefs ini, it goes back to how it was before I saved it anytime I launch the game.

How am I supposed to fix this shit? This is infuriating.

All I wanna do is play my game at 1366x768.

Anybody know or can link to documentation that glosses over game physics? I have a kepler gpu and in the case of Witcher 3, gave better fps when you switch physics duties to cpu rather than gpu. Was wondering if that might be the case with FO4. I have it set on cpu right now, and unless there is a compelling reason to switch, I won't.

Every time I try to change the display settings in the falloutprefs ini, it goes back to how it was before I saved it anytime I launch the game.

How am I supposed to fix this shit? This is infuriating.

All I wanna do is play my game at 1366x768.

What happens if you set the .ini file to read-only?

-griffy-

Banned
Was I mistaken in the assumption the volumetric light shafts would be running at a higher resolution on PC, or is something up with my system? Everything defaulted to ultra except god rays at high, but I'm still noticing that obvious lower resolution artifacting/aliasing around some objects that you see in the console versions below (around the woman's head on the steps):

DjBK0RZ.jpg

Shredderi

Was I mistaken in the assumption the volumetric light shafts would be running at a higher resolution on PC, or is something up with my system? Everything defaulted to ultra except god rays at high, but I'm still noticing that obvious lower resolution artifacting/aliasing around some objects that you see in the console versions below (around the woman's head on the steps):

DjBK0RZ.jpg

Noticed this too.

Yam's

For those people experiencing stuttering indoors despite high fps, try using RivaTuner Statistics Server and lock your fps to 60. I don't know why it works, but for me it totally removed that annoying indoor stuttering.

Thanks a lot, fixed all my stutters!

The physical PC version is only one DVD. Therefore it does not hold the complete game, you have to download the rest on Steam.

This really sucks, and not only for those like me stuck with a 8mb internet(http://i.imgur.com/Utkdsag.png), those with bandwidth cap also get shafted.

Fallout 4 is 24gb, 4 DVDs should suffice.

It's not so bad. I downloaded the game at around 2mb/s in 3 and a half hours. With pre-loading it wasn't an issue at all.

Was I mistaken in the assumption the volumetric light shafts would be running at a higher resolution on PC, or is something up with my system? Everything defaulted to ultra except god rays at high, but I'm still noticing that obvious lower resolution artifacting/aliasing around some objects that you see in the console versions below (around the woman's head on the steps)

That's why it's worth putting that setting on low. Huge FPS saving, no loss in quality compared to high (noticeably).

SoundLad

about 2 hours into the game and it runs fine (60fps+) on my setup

i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz (slight overclock)
Gigabyte gtx 780 ti OC edition
8Gb RAM
1080p 144hz monitor

Everything maxed except godrays set to medium and the view distance sliders left at their default position.

Was getting stuttering as others reported when moving the camera (controller and mouse) but that was resolved by enabling adaptive v-sync in nvidia control panel. Perfect for now.

Paganmoon

Regarding DS4 and Windows 10, there really is no need for DS4Windows. Windows 10 seems to support the DS4 with plug and play when running with USB, gives you correct button prompts as well. I just plugged my DS4 in, and it worked without a single issue in KotOR2.

Can test to verify with Fallout 4 after Steam finishes my download which suddenly decided to go to 1MB/s max instead of the normal 10MB/s.

Am using a lot of tweaks from this thread. i7-4770k, GTX-970. Everything Ultra, except Godrays low.

I had the strange stuttery vibe indoors but the exclusive fullscreen/nvidia vsync fix sorted it out. Also using the two mouse fixes, the beta patch, and K-Putt's Config.

So far, a rock solid and smooth 60fps, although I guess that will change when I get to the city.

It might not be cutting edge tech, but I'm liking what they've managed to do here with the visuals and the art design. This is a nice step up for Bethesda. And performance is a definite plus. The Gaf graphics meltdown over this game seems to have been seriously overblown.

Hakkesshu

TAA causes so much shimmering/flashing in the foliage for me and it's distracting as hell, but all the other AA options look like butt. Is there any way to get around this?

GRaider81

Regarding DS4 and Windows 10, there really is no need for DS4Windows. Windows 10 seems to support the DS4 with plug and play when running with USB, gives you correct button prompts as well. I just plugged my DS4 in, and it worked without a single issue in KotOR2.

Can test to verify with Fallout 4 after Steam finishes my download which suddenly decided to go to 1MB/s max instead of the normal 10MB/s.

Will try that too. So used to using ds4windows

-griffy-

Banned
That's why it's worth putting that setting on low. Huge FPS saving, no loss in quality compared to high (noticeably).
Hmm, I'm looking at the cached Nvidia guide again and it looks like the only setting with god rays running at a good resolution is ultra, any other setting exhibits lower resolution artifacts. I just didn't notice it yesterday.
85MHHRH.jpg

In fact any setting from high to low seems to look identical, but ultra looks "clean." Although it does seem to be a higher fidelity than console even at low. This comparison is zoomed 200% by the way.

rdytoroll

The performance at some spots in cities is pretty bad for me. -15 frames instead of solid 60.

God rays low. Every other setting doesn't change a thing for me.

GTX 970

Hey man, same for me. Got all settings on high, except God Rays which are also on low. Sometimes it drops from 60 to around 50fps especially in city areas/Lexington.
I'm using a 770 GTX.

SHarris78

Will an i7-2600k at stock 3.4ghz be enough to run this well (i've 16gb RAM and a GTX 980 4MB so i'm ok with those, but my CPU is getting on it bit!).

Ce-Lin

before the end of this month ill have a 980 ti with an i7 5820

will this suffice?

no, you will definitely need a motherboard, some RAM, a power supply, storage unit / drive, optical drive, good CPU cooler, Internet access, operating system and a mouse & keyboard, also the game and some Steam account.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Really disappointed in these huge frame drops. From 60 to 30 when in/near Diamond City. No matter if I lower settings if doesn't really help and I can't be bothered anymore trying fixes to get it working.

I've requested a refund from Steam. I doubt I'll get it though cause I have 8 hours of play time but if I knew of these huge drops then I would have done it sooner.

Specs: i5-4590/16GB/R9 290 4GB (overclocked)/SSD.

Top Bottom