• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks | officially announced. THIS YEAR

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Since I felt like it, I went ahead and gathered all the NA Zelda commercials here (and yes my commentary was required :lol)

Legend of Zelda - Well it was the 80s...
Adventure of Link - Zelda? Zelda? ZELLLDAAA?
Link to the Past - gameplay footage optional
Link's Awakening - ....okay its not the 80s anymore Nintendo
Ocarina of Time - lol girls.... I, I mean "will you suck", yeah...
Majora's Mask - Probably the darkest commercial NOA will ever air
Oracle of Ages/Seasons - if only the CG didn't suck so bad..
LttP (GBA) - Man, remind me to never take the Seattle subway
Bonus Disk -
[*]FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE BUY OUR GAMECUBES

Wind Waker - okay, that's pretty cool
Four Swords Adventures - Who are you? (my favorite :lol )
Minish Cap - their generic pan-around GBA ad
Twilight Princess - Those lazy motherfuckers :/
Phantom Hourglass - wait, why does this commerical get the epic music? ..... I spoke too soon
Spirit Tracks - Why are you clicking this? Didn't you see my link up top?

Hobbun

grandjedi6 said:
That's what happens when your region is the best seller of a game I guess

Even more reason to give us something worthwhile. Take care of the fans that support you the best. Oh well, not a huge issue, but it is annoying.

But Zelda does the best in NA? I thought Japan would have taken the cake for that.

Hobbun said:
Even more reason to give us something worthwhile. Take care of the fans that support you the best. Oh well, not a huge issue, but it is annoying.

But Zelda does the best in NA? I thought Japan would have taken the cake for that.

Zelda has always sold the best in North America. The scene with "real life" Hyrule was kinda cool, otherwise meh generic for the commercial. The Wind Waker's commercial still reigns supreme.

Magypsy23

Banned
Iwata Asks is up. Sorry I can't translate any of it atm, I'm busy moving my consoles to my new place.
Rupee case looks nicer than I expected.
photo18.jpg

AniHawk

ivysaur12 said:
The minute-long Wind Waker commercial was much better. Same idea, just much better editing with the music and the narration.

I always thought the narration was cheesy-bad and an obvious grab for the Harry Potter audience. The music is what makes it. It's actually similar to the Metroid Prime commercial in a lot of ways.

The Majora's Mask one is my favorite. OoT's is nice until you get "Or will you suck?" ALttP GBA is as trippy as the other GBA commercials of that time, which is a good thing. The FSA one's not bad either.

Over 2 minutes of Zelds Spirit Tracks footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxceR6oHPJY
It's from Go Nintendo. I don't know where he got the videos from.

After seeing the footage, I'm confident this game will be better than Phantom Hourglass. Not only will the central dungeon actually be split up in new sections, but each level has different music, and it all sounds cool. Plus, all of the rest of the music, especially the pipe music, sounds really nice to me. The graphics in the field area are varied, too, with ice, water, et cetera.

I feel like much more work, time, and polish was put into this game.

ivysaur12

Banned
AniHawk said:
I always thought the narration was cheesy-bad and an obvious grab for the Harry Potter audience. The music is what makes it. It's actually similar to the Metroid Prime commercial in a lot of ways.

The Majora's Mask one is my favorite. OoT's is nice until you get "Or will you suck?" ALttP GBA is as trippy as the other GBA commercials of that time, which is a good thing. The FSA one's not bad either.

It is pretty cheesy, but it's even more cheesy in the 30 second version for some reason.

But yeah, the Majora's Mask one is the best, by far. I'd put Wind Waker at #2 though.

Magypsy23

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
Oh, that's where the videos are from. Thanks. :D I didn't know that the Iwata Asks had videos within. I didn't bother to check, because I can't read it.

But yeah. The videos excite me still.

I guess I should have mentioned the videos. Anyway, here's the same videos with no watermark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUWUkaosxL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uy8hVepdjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnBnSXyUmWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WetTatYjEZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRIEPpM33M

Second video confirms the trailer music is the actual field theme.

And a piece of artwork from Iwata Asks.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/interview/bkij/vol1/img/slide006.jpg

Ranger X

Better be good 'cause I pre-ordered this when I bought God of War Collection yesterday...

The world map in train really looks like a freaking useless gimmick :(

PSGames

Why would you do that? said:
Over 2 minutes of Zelds Spirit Tracks footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxceR6oHPJY
It's from Go Nintendo. I don't know where he got the videos from.

After seeing the footage, I'm confident this game will be better than Phantom Hourglass. Not only will the central dungeon actually be split up in new sections, but each level has different music, and it all sounds cool. Plus, all of the rest of the music, especially the pipe music, sounds really nice to me. The graphics in the field area are varied, too, with ice, water, et cetera.

I feel like much more work, time, and polish was put into this game.

Whoa hadn't seen this before. The controls on the train look really fun. Much better than the ship from PH.

It is weird that I think that ST Zelda is hot? Last time I thought that about a video game character, it was Midna and it creeped me out just as much.

Time before that, it was Lala, but we won't get into that.

EDIT: Sweet mercy, is that
Vaati's eye
I spy on that golem-looking enemy?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Balb said:
Are there any pre-order bonuses for ST for the US? There's usually a bonus for Zelda games.
Apparently, the US preorder bonus is the game itself.

Jocchan said:
Apparently, the US preorder bonus is the game itself.
Really? I thought there were two figurines or something.

Australia doesn't really do pre-order bonuses though, which is a shame. I will be buying locally because of the SUPERIOR box-art, which is at once awesome and also makes me a huge hypocrite.

Can't tell you how hyped I am for this game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Really? I thought there were two figurines or something.

Australia doesn't really do pre-order bonuses though, which is a shame. I will be buying locally because of the SUPERIOR box-art, which is at once awesome and also makes me a huge hypocrite.

Can't tell you how hyped I am for this game.
As far as I know, the figurines are EU only. In the UK, GAME has a limited edition tin for game and figurines, but that's it.

Jocchan said:
As far as I know, the figurines are EU only. In the UK, GAME has a limited edition tin for game and figurines, but that's it.
Ah, fair enough.

When I found out that people in the markets that matter get little knick knacks simply for pre ordering, I almost had an aneurism from sheer jealousy. The fact that Japan gets the quill stylus encased in a rupee and I don't still makes me angry-face.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
viciouskillersquirrel said:
The fact that Japan gets the quill stylus encased in a rupee and I don't still makes me angry-face.
Same to me. I want that rupee box :/

grandjedi6 said:
ivysaur12 said:
The minute-long Wind Waker commercial was much better. Same idea, just much better editing with the music and the narration.

If memory serves, NoA had this commercial done as a teaser extremely early, I'm pretty sure before they even knew what the new game was like. Ironically, the thing would've fit perfectly for Twilight Princess, but doesn't fit Wind Waker nearly as well, even with how vague it is.

Just got the set of 5 Phantom Hourglass figures (by Tomy Yujin Europe)
The Phantom is differently colored and the shield design is dissimilar.
Link doesn't have the Hourglass. I'm guessing the shield design is not the same either, going by the artwork.

All in all, pretty close. Still, it wouldn't hurt NoA to make them a preorder bonus, right?

That ad is hot, gives me flashbacks of the GBA/GCN era (No really, the resemblance to the GBA LTTP ad is just creepy!)

So much better than the UK advert, it's just so bad :lol

grandjedi6

Kulock said:
If memory serves, NoA had this commercial done as a teaser extremely early, I'm pretty sure before they even knew what the new game was like. Ironically, the thing would've fit perfectly for Twilight Princess, but doesn't fit Wind Waker nearly as well, even with how vague it is.
I don't remember seeing this teaser early on or anything. The 1 minute long trailer aired during movie trailers in holiday 02 while the 30 sec version was the tv commercial that aired during the game's release.

OMG Aero

grandjedi6 said:
I don't remember seeing this teaser early on or anything. The 1 minute long trailer aired during movie trailers in holiday 02 while the 30 sec version was the tv commercial that aired during the game's release.
If I remember correctly that was the same advert used in the UK too but it was shorter and was more final game footage.

grandjedi6 said:

The holiday '02 trailer is early, they didn't even include the name of the game. Either way, it's pretty clear that had NoA known what Wind Waker was going to be like sooner, they probably would've taken a far different approach to the live-action footage. They were trying to jump the gun and made a predictably-styled Zelda trailer for a game that ended up featuring a major style shift.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
GDGF said:
They got steampunk in my Zelda and I likes it.
I'm beginning to think steampunk is a term that nobody understands how to use. (Wouldn't that be cedar punk?)

Hideous art tanks it regardless of the wooden train.

grandjedi6

Kulock said:
The holiday '02 trailer is early, they didn't even include the name of the game. Either way, it's pretty clear that had NoA known what Wind Waker was going to be like sooner, they probably would've taken a far different approach to the live-action footage. They were trying to jump the gun and made a predictably-styled Zelda trailer for a game that ended up featuring a major style shift.
What are you talking about? The holiday '02 trailer wasn't early, it came out only 3 months before release. And NoA, at the very very least, knew about Wind Waker's new style when it was revealed at Spaceworld 2001. So unless you are suggesting that they commissioned this commercial almost 2 years ahead of time (hint: they didn't), then they clearly knew everything needed about Wind Waker for it.

grandjedi6 said:
What are you talking about? The holiday '02 trailer wasn't early, it came out only 3 months before release. And NoA, at the very very least, knew about Wind Waker's new style when it was revealed at Spaceworld 2001. So unless you are suggesting that they commissioned this commercial almost 2 years ahead of time (hint: they didn't), then they clearly knew everything needed about Wind Waker for it.

It absolutely makes no sense though when you consider that
Tetra isn't exactly the kind of person to mope around asking to be 'saved'

Oh and to talk about Phantom Hourglass for a minute had there been one tiny word changed in the opening I think I'd have taken it more palatably (and maybe even Anihawk!):
"Help me" rather than "Save me" would have been less damsel-in-distress and more in line with Tetra's character

Top Bottom