• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild has sold over 20 million units worldwide

Bodomism

Banned
BotW on Switch: 18.60 million
BotW on Wii U: 1.67 million
total: 20.27 million

Sold more than Smash Ultimate in Q1 this FY!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) as of June 2020 - 18.60m
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) as of December 2014 - 7.60m
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) as of December 2014 - 7.26m
The Legend of Zelda (NES) as of December 2014 - 6.51m
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) as of December 2018 - 6.02m
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) as of December 2014 - 4.76m
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) as of December 2014 - 4.61
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC) as of March 2014 - 4.43m
The Legend of Zelda: Adventure of Link (NES) as of December 2014 - 4.38m
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NS) as of March 2020 - 4.38m
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) as of December 2018 - 4.07m
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons (GBC) as of December 2014 - 3.99m
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) as of December 2014 - 3.83m
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) as of December 2014 - 3.67m
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) as of December 2014 - 3.36m
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) as of December 2018 - 3.09m
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) as of December 2014 - 2.96m
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA) as of December 2014 - 2.82m
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (WiiU) as of March 2020 - 2.31m
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) as of December 2014 - 2.22m
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) as of December 2014 - 1.76m
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU) as of December 2018 - 1.67m
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC) as of December 2014 - 1.43m
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS) as of December 2018 - 1.33m
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WiiU) as of December 2018 - 1.12m

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Awesome game, glad to see it doing so well. One of those rare games I keep going back to now and again just to enjoy the experience and roam the world, yet despite putting in well over a hundred hours each time I do somehow I keep discovering new things and new ways of doing stuff.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's impressive.

It's dramatically more than any Zelda game before.

I hope Metroid Prime 4 enjoys the same appreciation, because that way we'll certainly get more Metroid games. Not that it has happened to Zelda at this juncture, but it certainly will.

Sometimes great success like this can harm a beloved franchise. I do worry about Zelda going forward, but l haven't really lost faith yet. It's exciting for the future, but i can't help but be a bit nervous.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Sometimes great success like this can harm a beloved franchise. I do worry about Zelda going forward, but l haven't really lost faith yet. It's exciting for the future, but i can't help but be a bit nervous.

They just put out a Link’s Awakening remake last year. Relax. Enjoy the ride

Jeeves

Animal Crossing is selling faster than RDR2 and second only to GTAV.

ACNH is on another tier while BOTW is selling wonderfully after 3 years on the market and still retains its $60 price point.
Definitely. The comparison is just crazy for how little time AC has been out, and how many rave reviews BotW got while also being Switch's killer app at the start.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Definitely well deserved, the game is brilliant. Crazy to see the other games sales figures by comparison though.

Bodomism

Banned
botw_crew.jpg

Legends

LordOfChaos

1.67M on Wii U, wow that's low!

I was one of the sub 2 million Wii U players, yeah the console only sold 13 million, but I thought the game that was supposed to be its savior turned its swan song would have sold more on it though. Definitely seems with Nintendo, they don't suffer as much of a slump after the opening sales as everyone else, they often have stronger ongoing sales for lifetime totals vs just first few weeks sales.

Carna

Banned
I wouldn't call it the best Zelda game, but I still really like it, the shrines with motion control puzzles were ass though.

Porcile

It wasn't perfect but I was hooked for every single minute of the 70 hours I played it which is insane for a single player game. Probably the best game I've ever played if I think about it in that way.

Arkam

Great game. Put a couple hundred hours into that game just exploring. I am hoping for good things with the sequel apparently being built off that foundation.

Astral Dog

1.67M on Wii U, wow that's low!

I was one of the sub 2 million Wii U players, yeah the console only sold 13 million, but I thought the game that was supposed to be its savior turned its swan song would have sold more on it though. Definitely seems with Nintendo, they don't suffer as much of a slump after the opening sales as everyone else, they often have stronger ongoing sales for lifetime totals vs just first few weeks sales.
1.6 million seems low but most hardcore Nintendo fans really wanted to leave the Wii U behind and play BotW on the Switch day one , they wanted the new hotness, casual players only saw Nintendo advertise BotW as a Switch game lol, they never had any idea another version existed or would have cared.

For comparison, Skyward Sword only sold 3.5 million on the 100million+ Wii userbase

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
BotW will be one of my first games I'll get when or if I get a Switch (if another 1200 stimulus goes through) and it'll be my first Zelda game in decades.

Do it. The Switch is amazing. BOTW is gorgeous, Mario Odyssey is pure gameplay, the joy of movement, Mario kart is evil genius, Mario bros u Deluxe penis will make you tear your hair out, and Astral Chain will make you cum.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
For a while I believed that this was the Zelda game I wanted to play the least. I was wrong. Way wrong!

Well deserved.

Naibel

One of the greatest games of the 2010's, if not ever, so it's very much deserved. Better dungeons and a slightly better plot, and it would have been the perfect Zelda.

Now Nintendo, give us more info on BOTW 2, pretty please ?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The best Zelda hands down.

Can't wait for the sequel.

It wasn't perfect but I was hooked for every single minute of the 70 hours I played it which is insane for a single player game. Probably the best game I've ever played if I think about it in that way.
70 hours lol? did you rush through it? my switch counter bugged out at 150 hours and i probably played another 50 hours after that. i haven't even got all the shrines/seeds, not played master mode yet, or done the trial of the sword

Last edited:

martino

this thing manage to keep engaged multiple hundred of hours in it and i don't really understand how or why.
my mind tells me it should not but....

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
From a sales perspective, I agree. The IP is never topping this result. A literal gamechanger like Ocarina of Time didn’t even get close to that, and as good as it is, BOTW benefited a lot from being a launch title.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Thank god there's a Wii U version in the first place thanks to that we can play it in 4K60 thanks to the heavenly gift of CEMU.
Game's overrated though tbh.

Bodomism

Banned
Thank god there's a Wii U version in the first place thanks to that we can play it in 4K60 thanks to the heavenly gift of CEMU.
Great word of mouth without price drop indicated that the game was properly rated and a lot of people are willing to pay a full price to play the game even 3 years after the released.

If the high rated game with dirt cheap permenant price drop and was given away for free after a few months of release date to inflate the sales number for PR(TLOU, UC4, and etc) then it's certainly an overrated game.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Great word of mouth without price drop indicated that the game was properly rated and a lot of people are willing to pay a full price to play the game even 3 years after the released.

If the high rated game with dirt cheap permenant price drop and was given away for free after a few months of release date to inflate the sales number for PR(TLOU, UC4, and etc) then it's certainly an overrated game.

Honestly it seems to me that CrysisFreak CrysisFreak is just cheap, using emulation as an excuse for piracy. I've run the emulators on good hardware and honestly it's just not as good. The picture quality might be marginally better but you get so many glitches and stutters it's just not worth it, plus you lose out on the convenience of being able to play on the go or on the TV on the Switch at the drop of a hat (which beats a boiling gaming laptop). For me, the frame rate is perfectly decent and it looks lovely on my big TV, honestly 4k is horseshit at this juncture - a huge bump in required GPU spec for not much difference which will likely hobble the graphical capabilities of the next gen making the games look WORSE than the previous gen.

The other thing to consider is that we don't tend to value that which we acquire free of charge - people who pirate tend to get a game, not really try that hard if it doesn't grab them in 3 seconds and move on.

Top Bottom