• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild has sold over 20 million units worldwide

Bodomism

Banned
What made me happy is when BOTW already outpacing Pokemon SwSh in Q1 and likely to maintain the lead until the end.

The First HD mainline Pokemon outsold by the first HD mainline Zelda.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What is with all the drive by Nintendo hate posts? This is a highly acclaimed title and all those copies were sold at close to full MSRP. This isn't Ubisoft where games drop to $5 a week after release.

The same shit popped up in the Animal Crossing thread. Unfortunately people just aren’t mature enough to handle a thing that isn’t made for them (or sometimes just a thing made on a console they don’t own) being successful.

Hero_Select

All the BOTW haters in this thread are pretty cringe. Relax - your precious GOW and Sekiro and (insert your GOTG here :messenger_loudly_crying:) already sold well enough.

Saladin

caliph veg
Staff Member
Please express your strong opinions about the game in question, not about the customers who loved it or hated it.

Decent game. Some cool mechanics, but personally felt it was overall very basic and boring for my playthrough.

Too easy to get overpowered and “break the game” too

Last edited:

Dommel

A sale once in a while would be nice though, my ex sold her switch with my game in it so I want it digital now.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A sale once in a while would be nice though, my ex sold her switch with my game in it so I want it digital now.
Get it physical - you can get it a bit cheaper that way. I’ve gone mostly physical for cheapskate reasons.

TheContact

Glad to see Zelda selling this well. I wasn't a fan of BoTW at all though, which is odd because I love open world games.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I started playing Twilight Princess HD again, just after trying to get into BotW. I can't believe it's the same franchise as so diifferent they are.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I started playing Twilight Princess HD again, just after trying to get into BotW. I can't believe it's the same franchise as so diifferent they are.
Well, you are literally comparing the game in the franchise with the highest sales, to the game in the franchise with the lowest sales. I love Twilight Princess but I've gotta agree.

Neff

NGL, 'Nintendo should go third party' mental gymnastics are always a guilty pleasure.

Funny, I'm playing TP for the first time since BotW and it's surprising me just how many aspects of the former remind me of the latter.

Of course though ultimately, they are very different games at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I wonder, how many players actually left the great plateau? Any numbers on that? Its quiete interesting with such big titles. I remember GTA 5 was a extreme example for that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
TP doesn't have the lowest sales in the series... In fact it's one of the higher selling ones if I'm not mistaken.
Oh that's true, was looking at just the Twilight Princess HD sales for the Wii U lol

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Well, you are literally comparing the game in the franchise with the highest sales, to the game in the franchise with the lowest sales. I love Twilight Princess but I've gotta agree.
Yup, it made me appreciate TPHD much more, and reminded me how much I loathe BotW.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
BOTW seems great enough to deserve this. I just hope after BOTW2 (or whatever game that is heavily based on it is coming) they will bring back some large dungeons and the ex-trademark lock on combat style back. It's still awesome. Wind Waker still feels good to play. TP a bit less (because of the meh wolf combat). Even OoT is fun even though it's that at its simplest origins. All the From Software games show you can further enhance that lock on combat style too. I don't know why they felt the need to change that. You can have sticky combat without lock on still for crowd control, but let us lock on for the bigger baddies. Or at least make the lack of lock on an actual involving mechanic or something, a la Monster Hunter. But since they're never gonna go for that kind of complexity in a Zelda game, just keep iterating on the lock on style. It's among their greatest innovations.

Last edited:
There is no indication that this would be healthy for Nintendo.
Zelda is a system seller, remove that exclusive and the Switch would be heavily damaged.
Also pc = higher chance of pirated copies, and Nintendo hates that.

You must be kidding. 20 millions copies at FULL price is shitty? No way your post is serious.
It will keep selling for years to come as long as Switch is the main Nintendo console.

look the list, lot of IP when out with less than 4m sales . There’s even 1m there, Nintendo must put tons of money to keep the saga.

Alot of games companies would kill for selling 20 million copies on 3 years (and the game has stayed full price longer than others) , the others yeah but there are some succes stories like OoT or TP (maybe even ALTTP)

Yeah this one is kinda finally.
If it wasn’t Nintendo the saga would be probably dead after the first numbers .

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If you PuzZelda* fans are upset at all the things Breath of the Wild omitted don't fret.

I promise you, if there's one thing Nintendo always does after the runaway success of a particular game, it is this: Breath of the Wild 2 will be the zaniest, most mundane puzZelda game you've ever played. Aonuma is gonna go full ham now that Nintendo has their "evergreen" out of the way. Majora's Mask followed OoT. Skyward Sword followed TP.

Nintendo hears you. They will make puzZelda in an open world. I'm just hoping there is some kind of co-op (fingers crossed for split screen) and deeper mechanics on the overworld. Of course, I won't turn my nose up at better dungeons, but personally I didn't mind their omission.

*puzZelda is a Zelda game that focuses on solving puzzles, earning new tools to solve new puzzles, exploring dungeons, hitting the boss on the glowing red eye, watching the camera pan to the door that just opened, etc.

Last edited:
I guess CEMU didn't affect sales afterall huh? So much for day one emulation being a disaster for game releases.

Switch piracy isn't even underground, it's a legit thing that even normies can set up. Games still sell over 20 million. Nintendo has set a new standard for first party software success with the Switch library.

Bodomism

Banned
Amazing launch title. Nintendo deserves the success for this one. This game, Arms, and Splatoon 2 sold me.
Looking at current situation of next gen consoles, Nintendo Switch 1st party output during 2017 was really epic

Zelda BOTW
MK8D
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2

PSFan

Because BOTW was inspired by the first Zelda game.

Please stop with that bullshit. It was nothing like the first Zelda game. The first Zelda game had a variety of temples and tools and hidden items and a whole lot more, BOTW had none of that.

Mozza

1.67M on Wii U, wow that's low!

I was one of the sub 2 million Wii U players, yeah the console only sold 13 million, but I thought the game that was supposed to be its savior turned its swan song would have sold more on it though. Definitely seems with Nintendo, they don't suffer as much of a slump after the opening sales as everyone else, they often have stronger ongoing sales for lifetime totals vs just first few weeks sales.

Once Nintendo had decided to delay the game for the Switch's launch the Wii U version was pretty much doomed.

Mozza

Just goes to show the power of the Switch brand, any Nintendo franchise has the potential to sell it's biggest numbers on the console.

MagnesG

Banned
Please stop with that bullshit. It was nothing like the first Zelda game. The first Zelda game had a variety of temples and tools and hidden items and a whole lot more, BOTW had none of that.
The devs themselves said so, with full devs conference just talking about it. They even made a BOTW demo using first TLOZ style.

Hope Nintendo ignores the pleas of people wanting big dungeons back. The sales of this game should prove that their audience doesn't want endless boring puzzlefests but something more exploration and combat focused with puzzle stuff as more of a sidething like they did with the shrines.

Chairman

Banned
I haven't played the game and although it was released more than two years ago it still full price. Most of nintendo games stay full price :pie_disappointed:.....

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played the game and although it was released more than two years ago it still full price. Most of nintendo games stay full price :pie_disappointed:.....

If finances are a worry - physical nintendo games hold their price, so buy it 2nd hand, play it, then sell it for the same price you paid. Free game. Done.

Chairman

Banned
If finances are a worry - physical nintendo games hold their price, so buy it 2nd hand, play it, then sell it for the same price you paid. Free game. Done.
I purchased the system for my son I don't know if he would like the game; i rarely use it unless we are playing mario kart, tennis, or pokemon.Which stores sell used games now a days?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I purchased the system for my son I don't know if he would like the game; i rarely use it unless we are playing mario kart, tennis, or pokemon.Which stores sell used games now a days?

Facebook Marketplace is worth a look, certainly that's where it tends to pop up, gumtree is also an option (not sure if it's UK-only).

Mozza

What do you mean my complaints are all over the place?
I listed the things that were shit (there's more like the copy and pasted shrines) and that's it.
I paid 80€ for that shit I get to complain.
Feel free to refute any of the points I made.

Animal crossing trash?, I am assuming this is your own personal opinion.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Animal crossing trash?, I am assuming this is your own personal opinion.
Yes, sorry to tell you, but in my honest and upstanding opinion, Animal Crossing as a franchise is pure trash. I do not consider it to be a proper game, it's like Candy Crush or Tamagotchi.
It's an insult to the medium and the talentless devs should be ashamed that they didn't even deliver or content when it comes to its day one release. Truly pathetic.
Coincidentally, Villager and Isabelle in Smash are both trash chars as well (fuck projectile aerials) and should be nerfed to death.
It's just my opinion.

Mozza

Yes, sorry to tell you, but in my honest and upstanding opinion, Animal Crossing as a franchise is pure trash. I do not consider it to be a proper game, it's like Candy Crush or Tamagotchi.
It's an insult to the medium and the talentless devs should be ashamed that they didn't even deliver or content when it comes to its day one release. Truly pathetic.
Coincidentally, Villager and Isabelle in Smash are both trash chars as well (fuck projectile aerials) and should be nerfed to death.
It's just my opinion.

Well It's a good job your opinion is very enlightened. ;)

CrysisFreak

Banned
Well It's a good job your opinion is very enlightened. ;)
I know brah I'd fix that fucking toy company in a week.
First thing I'd do is fire Sakurai and trash all the tard chars and then I'd make a Switch 2 that's actually good because it has proper AMD power in it none of that mobile phone hardware bullshit.
I'm just too based ;)

Mozza

Great idea this, I or anybody else can basically trash any game, for instance "The last of us part 2", this is a good game, but I can state the people buying it are stupid and it's good reviews are all paid for, so easy. ;)

Top Bottom