• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

onken

Totobeni said:
Dom = Daxter and they are both useless sidekicks and dump.

:O

no , but if you are talking about cover-based shooters , then Namco's Kill.Switch was there before Gears and Rogue Trooper

And let's face it, the concept is right out of Time Crisis (8 years before kill.switch).

OnPoint

onken said:
And let's face it, the concept is right out of Time Crisis (8 years before kill.switch).

Nah. This one did it first.

352n70p.jpg

Seriously, who cares......................................................................................................

Gomu Gomu

OnPoint said:
Nah. This one did it first.

352n70p.jpg

Seriously, who cares......................................................................................................

Awesome post. I :lol seriously,

Jasoco

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Shut your hole. Daxter was great.
Fixed for accuracy.

I had so much fun with the first Jak game. It was a platformer collectathon. While the second was good too, it wasn't the same since they decided to go all GTA with the series. And the third was a nice continuation, I wish it had stayed with the old Mario 64/Banjo style platforming genre. But this isn't about Jak so I'll stop there. (Seriously though, my favorite part about the first was the seamless level transitioning without pausing for load screens making the world seem like one big place and not a bunch of smaller ones connected together.)

Jasoco said:
I had so much fun with the first Jak game. It was a platformer collectathon. While the second was good too, it wasn't the same since they decided to go all GTA with the series. And the third was a nice continuation, I wish it had stayed with the old Mario 64/Banjo style platforming genre. But this isn't about Jak so I'll stop there. (Seriously though, my favorite part about the first was the seamless level transitioning without pausing for load screens making the world seem like one big place and not a bunch of smaller ones connected together.)

Agreed. Not that I didn't enjoy the later Jak games, but the original had a nice fantasy charm. And I really preferred Jak as the silent protagonist. He's said very little of use since he first opened his mouth.

Drkirby said:
Here is something I noticed. The Game Over music for Raiden III/IV is the same tune from the start of Electman's stage. And if I remember correctly, Raiden means thunder, or something close to that.

GAME OVER for Raiden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siU3T7PlKWw

Elecman Stage Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnnxsWIA_0

Maybe I am just looking to much into it.

They both sound like "Faithfully" by Journey. This fits with the theme, too, because Journey is an electifying band.

Here's a nice quickie. In Wii Fit Plus' snowball fighting game, the sound effect used for when one of your hearts regenerate is taken from Zelda Twilight Princess, the one for when you pick up a heart refill.

HUELEN10

FoxHimself said:
I swear I looked through the thread, but here's one I recently found out:

If you finish a castle level in Super Mario Bros. 3, you get an alternative ending when you reach the king. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHbAtY-BASI
You'll get a different thank-you message from the king if you beat the airship with the Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit, or Hammer Suit. The king says something different depending on which suit you are wearing.

Ulthwe

Having just replayed it yesterday, here's something I noticed years ago but maybe some of you didn't: there's practically no AI in the opponents, as they all follow the exact same path, only moving out of it when hit from a shell or else. That's why, if you want to throw a banana, simply put behind another character and let it go, it's a sure shot.

wondermega

thunderForce2_%2819%29.jpg

Not terribly shocking, but the nerdier amongst you may get a chuckle out of this.

Both early-gen releases by Technosoft for Sega Genesis, published in US by Sega (Japan cover art for both was drastically different)

I always liked how each cover could practically have been interchangeable for either game..

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
wondermega said:
http://www.texturemonkey.com/HCG/blog/thunderForce2_%2819%29.jpg

Not terribly shocking, but the nerdier amongst you may get a chuckle out of this.

Both early-gen releases by Technosoft for Sega Genesis, published in US by Sega (Japan cover art for both was drastically different)

I always liked how each cover could practically have been interchangeable for either game..[/QUOTE]

uh , both just copy AfterBurner

[IMG]http://media.ign.com/games/image/object/006/006061/After-Burner-1_MasterSystem_US_Fboxart_160w.jpg
635781boxart_160w.jpg

ReyVGM

A Boy And His Past

3 years prior to A Boy And His Blob, a Japanese boy already shared an adventure with a multifaceted blob.
When you see this 1986 MSX game, called "Come on! Picot", you realize how similar it is to A Boy and His Blob... or how similar ABAHB is to Come On! Picot.

You start outside a building, where you can begin interacting with your bloby sidekick by riding it or pushing it.

comeon-2.png
comeon-3.png

The way you can make the blob interact with the environment is not by jellybeans, but by picking up certain items found on the levels.

comeon-4.png

Once you pick up an item, you can push the blob to make it roll and defeat enemies, or to morph with it to achieve invincibility.

comeon-6.png
comeon-8.png

If you stand around doing nothing, your blob pushes you around and makes you comically fall.

comeon-5.png
comeon-9.png

And what do you do when the blob is out of your reach? Well, you call it of course.

comeon-10.png

Also, the name of the hero is Jean. Jellybean. Coincidence?

Thanks to MP83 for letting me know about this game.

ReyVGM

I'm sure you are all well aware that in the NES game Skate or Die, the shop owner looks a lot like the late Rodney Dangerfield.

SkateorDieU-0.png

Now, I don't know if the manual mentioned his name, but on the sequel and sister sequel (Skate or Die 2 and Ski or Die respectively), he is actually called... Rodney!

SkiorDieU-0.png
SkateorDie2-TheSearchforDoubleTr-1.png

They also introduce a new character, the hero's girlfriend. And guess who she looks like?
Ariel the effin' Little Mermaid.

SkateorDie2-TheSearchforDoubleTroub.png

ReyVGM

I can't believe I never noticed this before. I can't believe no one else noticed it either.

You know how the 10 or so Ys fans in the world complain about how Ys gets incorrectly writen as Y's?

Well, here's one that's the complete opposite.

I don't expect anyone to really care (and I wouldn't blame you), but for the sake of correctly spelling a game's title (even if it's incorrectly spelled) I got to mention this...
There's this infamous NES game called 8 Eyes, you all know it, but did you know the title of the game is actually 8 Eye's?

Mind blown megaton!

820Eyes.gif

If this eluded only me, shoot me on the left side of my brain.

ReyVGM

Japan Got The Better Version of Bayou Billy

The Japanese version of Bayou Billy, titled Mad City, allows you to make one of the best decisions ever: to run the hell away from that psycho girl you just rescued. This was removed in the USA version.

In the Japanese version, after you beat the last boss, you have the option of moving around while your girl (which is wearing a dress, instead of some Daisy Dukes) comes out of a door. If you avoid her by running in circles, she starts to cry and you get a bad ending. Bwahaha, Billy is a insensitive bastard.

MadCityJ-2.png
MadCityJ-3.gif

ReyVGM

Cherry Naked!

We've all heard (and some have seen) the famous NES Golgo 13 Top Secret Episode scene where Golgo gets it on with a girl (named Cherry). Well, in the Japanese version of Golgo 13, the girl actually takes her clothes off!!

golgo13.gif

ReyVGM

Nintendo's OTHER handheld

Anyway, color me ignorant, but I never knew Nintendo had another handheld: The Pokemon Mini.
I always thought Pokemon Mini was just another Tamagotchi clone like that Pokemon Pikachu thingie.

"It is officially the smallest cartridge-based system that includes a black-and-white LCD screen, and the smallest integrated gamepad ever created. Other features of the Pokémon mini include an infrared port used to facilitate multiplayer gaming, an internal timer, an accelerometer (shock detector), and a vibrator used to implement force feedback. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_mini

It's really not a big deal, but I'm impressed I never knew that this was an actual handheld with retail boxed games. According to wikipedia it only came out in Japan and Europe, that's probably why I never saw much info about it. That and the fact that all games are Pokemon related.

The games look somewhat like VMU and Pocketstation games. Here are some pics of the games.

Screen099.png

ReyVGM

The vast majority of people don't know how much Link's Awakening shares from other games.

The first one is how the Link's Awakening engine seems to be based on a previous Game Boy game called Kaeru no Tameni Kaneha Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls). This game was made by Intelligent Systems and here are some pics.

KaerunoTameniJ_05.png
KaerunoTameniJ_06.png
KaerunoTameniJ_27.png

KaerunoTameniJ_28.png
KaerunoTameniJ_29.png

Funny thing about that game is that when you engage with an enemy (by ramming into it, like Ys), your character gets into a brawl with the enemy cartoon style.
KaerunoTameniJ_21.png

And if you have a more powerful sword, they quickly run away from you scared like hell.

Also, your rival in this game is none other than Richard from Richard's Villa in Link's Awakening. And the Richard's Villa theme is a remix of the over world theme from Kaeru no Tameni Kaneha Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls).
KaerunoTameniJ_02.png
Zeldadx_06.png

The character Mr. Write in Link's Awakening is actually Dr. Wright from Sim City. Mr. Write's music in Link's Awakening is the exact same music on Sim City when Dr. Wright gives you a tip.
SimCityU_00001.png
Zeldadx_02.png

On the file select, enter your name as ZELDA and the music will change to a remix of the Zelda over world theme.
In the Japanese version however, enter your name as Totakeke and the music will change to Kazumi Totaka's now popular theme found on numerous Nintendo games. You can also get the Totaka theme in Richard's Villa if you let the music loop enough times.
There's more. In the GERMAN version of the game, if you enter MOYSE as your name, a different music will play. Clause Moyse is apparently the one who translated the game to German.

Apenheul

ReyVGM said:

Anyway, color me ignorant, but I never knew Nintendo had another handheld: The Pokemon Mini.
I always thought Pokemon Mini was just another Tamagotchi clone like that Pokemon Pikachu thingie.

"It is officially the smallest cartridge-based system that includes a black-and-white LCD screen, and the smallest integrated gamepad ever created. Other features of the Pokémon mini include an infrared port used to facilitate multiplayer gaming, an internal timer, an accelerometer (shock detector), and a vibrator used to implement force feedback. "

It's really not a big deal, but I'm impressed I never knew that this was an actual handheld with retail boxed games. According to wikipedia it only came out in Japan and Europe, that's probably why I never saw much info about it. That and the fact that all games are Pokemon related.

The games look somewhat like VMU and Pocketstation games. Here are some pics of the games.

Hah thanks for digging that up, I've actually developed for that thing with a couple of friends! click. It's a great little device but it didn't get the software support to shine (or at least glow a little :/)

Luigiv

ReyVGM said:

I remember this thing. Would have been cool if it had more to it then Pokemon minigames.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Farore said:
I've been re-playing Twilight Princess and my mind was blown when I found Jean Paul II on it last night:

Er... that seems like a bit of a stretch. It's a white statue of a guy with a cloak. How are you getting JPII from that?

FoxSpirit

DavidDayton said:
Er... that seems like a bit of a stretch. It's a white statue of a guy with a cloak. How are you getting JPII from that?

Yeah... somebody should visit that place in an emulator so we can get a clean and defined picture.

[Nintex]

Considering the Twilight Princess development history it probably went something like this.

Miyamoto: "New Zelda in 2005!"
Iwata: "So you said, a new Zelda in 2005?"
Aonuma: "Game has to come out in 2005??!"
Designer: "FUUUU... what about this wall?"
Aonuma: "That wasn't in OOT! I told you to remake OOT! ..and better!"
Designer: "Well it's better..."
Miyamoto: "Don't let me upend the tea table again my apprentice!"
Designer: "Lol, just like Star Wars Emperor I shouldn't have left TOSE."
Aonuma: "Google Image search: "guy with cloak!" "
Designer: "...and?"
Aonuma: "Copy paste!"
Miyamoto: "Google? Is that a PC game?"
Aonuma: "... yeah, something like that..."
Iwata: "Delay and rebuild for Wii(laughs)"
Designer: "Fuck this I'm going to Sonic Team."

Not sure if it's been posted(probably was) but in the game Smurfs for Colecovision, if you immediately go back to the previous screen upon getting to Smurfette, her top comes off and MAN IS THAT BITCH STACKE................flat.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Apenheul said:
Hah thanks for digging that up, I've actually developed for that thing with a couple of friends! click. It's a great little device but it didn't get the software support to shine (or at least glow a little :/)

the streaming company that hosts that video looks familiar for some reason:

wowza120.png

i can't quite put my finger on it though

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ulthwe said:
Having just replayed it yesterday, here's something I noticed years ago but maybe some of you didn't: there's practically no AI in the opponents, as they all follow the exact same path, only moving out of it when hit from a shell or else. That's why, if you want to throw a banana, simply put behind another character and let it go, it's a sure shot.

Yeah, this irritated the hell out of me when I was young. I couldn't believe how lazy the programmers were to do this.

Articate

Banned
Ulthwe said:

It was the same with Street Racer. But me? I enjoyed it. I'm a Formula One fan, so I already had the perception that in racing you hold the racing line. So in Street Racer I'd actually practice to keep the same line as the 'AI' did. I think it was easier to do in Super Mario Kart, but that never annoyed me about the game. What IS annoying about Super Mario Kart is that your opponents don't obtain items like you do. No, they can just spawn 'their' item whenever they feel like it. DK with his bananas, Toad and Peach with their mushrooms that made you small. And what's even more annoying is that it's pre-programmed which opponent should be how strong when you're a certain character.

That means if you were like me and loved Koopa, you'd have Luigi behind you, and what can he do? Spawn a STAR whenever he pleases! And if you hit him with something? He'd just engage turbo-mode and be up to 1st or 2nd before you knew what had happaned.

There was one way change this. If you hit someone very close to goal, they wouldn't have time to catch up. If that lead to, say, Luigi ending up in 4th in the overall ranking, that would be his new spot from there on out.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All this talk about Super Mario Kart reminds me of a website that had timing competitions in time trial. You had to use an emulator and upload either the SaveState or the SRAM file for the rom. HE would check it (to see if it wasn't tampered with) and post the results on a table online.

nobody liked the first circuit in this timings contest, they would do other circuits, but never the first one. So it was always just between me and another dude. HE would always use Donkey Kong, as apparently he was the fastest on the first circuit, but I always managed to kill the other dude timings by very narrow numbers (10 ms or so).

We would trade first spot on that table pretty much on a daily basis. I loved Super Mario Kart so much.

Fake Edit: Sorry about the slight OT

Sagitario

DavidDayton said:

pope-john-paul-ii-2005-3lyadzsr.jpg
john_paul_ii_wit_49abf91de8429-0kjvujs0.jpg

Obviously it's mostly because of the head...
It does have resemblances IMO...

[Nintex] said:
Considering the Twilight Princess development history it probably went something like this.

Miyamoto: "New Zelda in 2005!"
Iwata: "So you said, a new Zelda in 2005?"
Aonuma: "Game has to come out in 2005??!"
Designer: "FUUUU... what about this wall?"
Aonuma: "That wasn't in OOT! I told you to remake OOT! ..and better!"
Designer: "Well it's better..."
Miyamoto: "Don't let me upend the tea table again my apprentice!"
Designer: "Lol, just like Star Wars Emperor I shouldn't have left TOSE."
Aonuma: "Google Image search: "guy with cloak!" "
Designer: "...and?"
Aonuma: "Copy paste!"
Miyamoto: "Google? Is that a PC game?"
Aonuma: "... yeah, something like that..."
Iwata: "Delay and rebuild for Wii(laughs)"
Designer: "Fuck this I'm going to Sonic Team."

That's probably it...
"We need some statues to put in here..."
"Let me Google that for you..."

:lol

iamaustrian said:

Not even close... :lol

Mak

$200 said:
A lot of people might already know this

but I just noticed recently that Link talks in a non-cdi Zelda game.

zelda2-490.png

Also,

Kasuto.
Strange...
It is
deserted.

ReyVGM said:
The character Mr. Write in Link's Awakening is actually Dr. Wright from Sim City. Mr. Write's music in Link's Awakening is the exact same music on Sim City when Dr. Wright gives you a tip.
SimCityU_00001.png
Zeldadx_02.png

Adding to that, Mr Wright from Sim City is named after Sim City's creator, Will Wright. He's also a good friend of Shigeru Miyamoto.

There's a picture of both of them from 1989 in the book High Score on page 238, but couldn't find it online. Found this one though.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/drupal/?q=node/901

theluma

Actually posted by GAF's very own Huelen10 on youtube but I couldn't find it in this thread

Basically it turns out that in Galaxy (and it seems, Sunshine) when you go through a pipe and end up in some random little room you are actually getting transported to one of the little planets you see in the distance in that particular galaxy which can be reached with the Flying Suit!

So here is the video showing this off for Good Egg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxvaZ8S6nA

I know it's pretty old but it certainly blew my mind. Again, I fail at searching if this has already been posted.

Not sure if posted but I took this photo in Dark Cloud 2. The wanted guy seems somewhat familiar...

DSCN0548.jpg

likeness.jpg

I dunno, the eyepatch, goatee, and smile seem too coincidental.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
theluma said:
Actually posted by GAF's very own Huelen10 on youtube but I couldn't find it in this thread

Basically it turns out that in Galaxy (and it seems, Sunshine) when you go through a pipe and end up in some random little room you are actually getting transported to one of the little planets you see in the distance in that particular galaxy which can be reached with the Flying Suit!

So here is the video showing this off for Good Egg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxvaZ8S6nA

I know it's pretty old but it certainly blew my mind. Again, I fail at searching if this has already been posted.
Nothing even remotely mindblowing. Interiors (be them buildings, caves, or - in this case - rooms inside planetoids) are rarely actually inside or below what you see from the outside.
It's not practical. They're usually either really far in the same map or in a separated one (like most pipes do in Super Mario World, you get warped to completely different maps most of the time).

ReyVGM

Keeping up with Bayou Billy / Mad City, the Japanese has 2 more endings not found on the USA version.

One of them is achieved by completing the training mode first and then beating the game.
The other is achieved by pressing Up + B on the good ending. In this ending Billy speaks in the Japanese Kansai southern dialect and almost forces Annabelle to kiss him.

Thanks to jonny2x4 for finding out about that.

Top Bottom