• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modnation beta thread of low framerate awesomeness

Mik2121

DeadGzuz said:
Sorry if old.
Funny enough, I felt like the game had some really low framerate issues the first day, but after that I have not felt it at all. I just thought I got used to it, but maybe.. maybe they somehow "fixed" it? That can't be even possible D:

Mik2121

Katana_Strikes said:
Love the gaming.etc character designs. Actually never thought that you'd be able to make stuff like that. This is one reason I'm really taken by the game.

Are they pretty easy to design?
Yup, definitely easy to design and it has a LOT of customization possibilities. Much more than the Wii's Miis and the 360's avatars. If Sony could buy this IP and make it their own avatar, I, for one, would love it. They are quite likable and I would love to see them in some other game.

But I'm not sure which ones I like more, if these fellas or the sackboys..
Sackboys have much more charm, but the Mods (the characters in this game) seem easier to customize and they would fit in many more kind of games :p
Maybe they release some other 'Modnation' games..

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mik2121 said:
Yup, definitely easy to design and it has a LOT of customization possibilities. Much more than the Wii's Miis and the 360's avatars. If Sony could buy this IP and make it their own avatar, I, for one, would love it. They are quite likable and I would love to see them in some other game.

But I'm not sure which ones I like more, if these fellas or the sackboys..
Sackboys have much more charm, but the Mods (the characters in this game) seem easier to customize and they would fit in many more kind of games :p
Maybe they release some other 'Modnation' games..

The other thing with the mods is that they have many animations and facial expressions they do themselves based on your actions, whereas LBP facial expressions are user controlled and not used as frequently to create atmosphere.

One thing LBP needs is to allow NPCs of other sackboys to say and do stuff. It would increase the charm in my opinion.

Perhaps we should keep a list of all the GAF creations and creators? They can be easily found via either adding the creator to your PSN friendlist and browsing creations by friends, or just by text searching the track name.

Here's all the tracks i've seen posted in the thread so far, if i've missed anyone just tell me and i'll add them to the list - perhaps we could get this added to the OP?

ArgorokX; Street Maze
Bootaaay; Canyon Climber, Mountainside Climb, Mountain GP, Sunset Drive
MyFaceIsOnFire; Windmill Town

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
WINDMILL TOWN!!!! I spent a lot of time on this track and I feel that it plays very very well. It's got a nice jump and even a shortcut. Please download it and tell me what you think! It's a relatively short face paced track. Lots of fun!

Just tried your track out man, really great work, it's alot of fun - left you a comment and a positive vote too :) One comment though, on the right hand side of the final corner there's a building placed so it's slightly in mid air and you can drive under it, also the building behind it makes for a pretty annoying obstacle, especially as it's on the final corner.

*edit, just tried RagnarokX's track 'Street Maze' - really well built man, very unique track design, although I found the town section to be somewhat confusing. Also, the mountain and the huge jump are awesome, but if you go off the jump sideways you miss the landing and break out of the confines of the course.

dsigns

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Funny enough, I felt like the game had some really low framerate issues the first day, but after that I have not felt it at all. I just thought I got used to it, but maybe.. maybe they somehow "fixed" it? That can't be even possible D:

I personally felt the problem was actually online lag vs low framerate. In the modspot it is attempting to connect you to other people so it seems to jump around a bit, but if you turn the online off there it runs smooth.

Katana_Strikes said:
Love the gaming.etc character designs. Actually never thought that you'd be able to make stuff like that. This is one reason I'm really taken by the game.

Are they pretty easy to design?
Very easy, simple as choosing some features and moving them around til you like the spot they are in, you can also go to advanced editing and resize, rotate, skew each feature.

Noshino said:
New Character, Dudebro

10dwmmu.jpg
I gotta know how you made that beard? I didn't see any beard options other than a bad goatee

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Bootaaay said:
MyFaceIsOnFire; Windmill Town

Just tried your track out man, really great work, it's alot of fun - left you a comment and a positive vote too :) One comment though, on the right hand side of the final corner there's a building placed so it's slightly in mid air and you can drive under it, also the building behind it makes for a pretty annoying obstacle, especially as it's on the final corner.

Thanks for the vote and the feedback! Is it possible to edit an already published track without losing votes? I have 11 positve votes that I don't want to lose!

Thrakier

Why doesn't grass etc. slow you down? Horrible design decision imo, it kills all the sense behind staying "on track" which is actually part of a fun in a racing game...

depward

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
Thanks for the vote and the feedback! Is it possible to edit an already published track without losing votes? I have 11 positve votes that I don't want to lose!

I'll be playing your track shortly..

Thrakier said:
Why doesn't grass etc. slow you down? Horrible design decision imo, it kills all the sense behind staying "on track" which is actually part of a fun in a racing game...
yeah i know ;( and it sucks that animals don't even do anything but just there as you can ride through them. i was hoping to send some sheeps and chicken flying.

MyFaceIsOnFire said:

Looks great, how do you get the track to end like that though? I've been trying to do that for jumps, another thing I'm having trouble with is trying to make more open spaces like that shot above with the track spiraling up a mountain side. I think I need to figure out how to get rid of the barriers or something.

Edit: aha so thats what the breadcrum option was for :p

Jme

wind_steaker said:
Looks great, how do you get the track to end like that though? I've been trying to do that for jumps, another thing I'm having trouble with is trying to make more open spaces like that shot above with the track spiraling up a mountain side. I think I need to figure out how to get rid of the barriers or something.

Go to the Road Types paintbrush tool thing, the 4th one down (i think) is an eraser. Erase the road, and if it's elevated like that it will just make it end. Careful with this, making the jump land where you want can be a pain.

Str0ngStyle said:
I gotta know how you made that beard? I didn't see any beard options other than a bad goatee

Head accessories, theres like a pigtail type thing, he used a bunch of them it looks like.

Noshino

Str0ngStyle said:

Under "Odd's and Ends", there is this item that is like spiky hair, I use that, one really big in the center, and then added smaller ones by the sides.

This game has tons of potential, I'll get it if they:

1) Fix the framerate
2) Give us the option for adjustable camera angles
3) Throw us a pre order bonus for Sackboy DLC

EDIT: Does this game work with a G25? I'm getting that for GT5 and was curious.

RagnarokX

Bootaaay said:
*edit, just tried RagnarokX's track 'Street Maze' - really well built man, very unique track design, although I found the town section to be somewhat confusing. Also, the mountain and the huge jump are awesome, but if you go off the jump sideways you miss the landing and break out of the confines of the course.
Thanks. I tried to alleviate confusion with all of those arrow signs; I think I almost filled the thermometer. At least after a couple of races you should get the general idea of where to go.

I was just editing my Metal Sonic mod into a proper Sonic one when I found this far superior one uploaded by someone called dalte89:

2m3pg9l.jpg
v4ys68.jpg

People certainly have got the hang of this character creation fast with such limited unlocked costume items! Figured I'd make a car for him :D :

14kcqq9.jpg

2hrlg5j.jpg

2ihp25d.jpg

I've been exploring the track creator a bit more and its far better/deeper than I realized at first. I have just published what I think is my best course : Alpine Boogie. Please check it out and leave tips!

NeoGAF member's created tracks;

GAF Name---PSN Name---Track Name(s)

Bootaaay - Bootaaay; Canyon Climber, Mountainside Climb, Mountain GP, Sunset Drive
MyFaceIsOnFire - MyFaceIsOnFire; Windmill Town
RagnarokX - ArgorokX; Island Hop, Street Maze
Teknoman - TeknomanEX; Roundrock Hills
wind_steaker - HaloumiFace; Alpine Boogie

Also guys, remember that allowing users to remix your track makes it easier to play for others as the beta doesn't allow quick races and the only way to play a locked created track is to host an online game using that level or to play it in time trial.

*edit, tried Teknoman & wind_steaker's tracks - Alpine Boogie is a ton of fun, I love the offroad bit at the start with the huge jump and the canyon bit is crazy when everyone's got weapons going off, really can't fault it at all - Roundrock Hills is an excellent road circuit with some really amazing drifting oppertunities, I was sideways so often I felt like I was playing Ridge Racer :D Awesome work guys.

Dragnet

I know it's a shameless thing to do, especially here, but the share thread seems to be dead. Just wondering if any kind soul here would be willing to trade the beta..I have some things that might be worth trading..

Teknoman

Bootaaay said:
NeoGAF member's created tracks;

GAF Name---PSN Name---Track Name(s)

Bootaaay - Bootaaay; Canyon Climber, Mountainside Climb, Mountain GP, Sunset Drive
MyFaceIsOnFire - MyFaceIsOnFire; Windmill Town
RagnarokX - ArgorokX; Street Maze
Teknoman - TeknomanEX; Roundrock Hills
wind_steaker - HaloumiFace; Alpine Boogie

Also guys, remember that allowing users to remix your track makes it easier to play for others as the beta doesn't allow quick races and the only way to play a locked created track is to host an online game using that level or to play it in time trial.

*edit, tried Teknoman & wind_steaker's tracks - Alpine Boogie is a ton of fun, I love the offroad bit at the start with the huge jump and the canyon bit is crazy when everyone's got weapons going off, really can't fault it at all - Roundrock Hills is an excellent road circuit with some really amazing drifting oppertunities, I was sideways so often I felt like I was playing Ridge Racer :D Awesome work guys.

Thanks, forgot to enable remixing though.

RagnarokX

New track: Island Hop

A group of small islands with nothing between them but water and floating barges. Careful not to fall!
MODNATION_20.jpg

MODNATION_23.jpg

MODNATION_24.jpg

MODNATION_22.jpg

Teknoman

Can you drive underwater? Didnt know you could put THAT much water in a level.

EDIT: This game is going to be awesome if they fix the technical problems. Also have a wide genre of music.

Teknoman

RagnarokX said:
Karts stall if they get fully submerged.

Aww, well maybe there will be some kind of tube option for submerged sections. Also I noticed launchers in the prop menu. Guessing that'll work like those huge cannons of MK DD/Wii.

I'll have to go through each of those levels later today. Oh and has anyone tried to host a GAF stage race online?

RagnarokX

Teknoman said:
Aww, well maybe there will be some kind of tube option for submerged sections. Also I noticed launchers in the prop menu. Guessing that'll work like those huge cannons of MK DD/Wii.
There are launchers in Sandstorm and Market Run in the official tracks. They look like normal ramps, but they can launch you higher and further, kinda like a springboard mixed with a boostpad...

What other kinds of settings will be in the game? Are there going to be different templates aside from that village area? Like ice/futuristic/desert/shit like that.

Teknoman

revolverjgw said:
What other kinds of settings will be in the game? Are there going to be different templates aside from that village area? Like ice/futuristic/desert/shit like that.

So far i've just seen the desert ruins area and the alpine area. I think Market Run is based on a middle eastern environment, but havent played that one yet.

If they dont have an outerspace/futuristic area, someone's not doing it right.

There are definetly litle tower blocks and other buildings and a desert theme in the game but they haven't shown much else that I know of.

I'll be checking these tracks out after bladerunner! :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm sadly beta-less, so I'm gonna need a lot more videos of the tracks you guys have created! The pics are nice, but I need videos! That Island Hop tracks looks great, and a few others have also looked really good!

Teknoman

I'll try to upload some stuff later today.

EDIT: Anyone want to try making a really high altitude Rainbow road esque track? Also after a multiplayer race is finished, does the game do a looping replay?

Jme

Just finished my Samus. She is shared and remixable - my psn is jmehatesyou, I named her "Samus Aran"... no car yet.
2hyxjlg.jpg

Nice Samus, handofgod.

Teknoman said:
Wish there was some way to make the blimp fly.
Well, you can certainly make it float. Just hold triangle while you have the blimp and press Up on the D-pad to raise it up into the air. Just make sure you don't have it pinned to the track.

Anyway, the track creator has been my favorite part of the beta. I've made four tracks so far, three of which I've bothered to take pictures of. (My first one was really just to learn the editor and make wacky jumps).

Lakeside
This one circles around a lake with parts of the track submerged. Watch out for the sharp turn before the homestretch.
MODNATION_3.jpg

MODNATION_2.jpg

Crisscross
The next involves two criss-cross sections, one of which is a jump.
MODNATION_6.jpg

MODNATION_7.jpg

MODNATION_5.jpg

Detours
Finally, I have my offroad course. The main course has suffered from a rockslide, so the actual course has been forced to divert off into the mountain valley. Get back onto the course to cross the lake, but you'll have to jump right back onto the grass and through the valley before racing off a cliff back to the homestretch. I really love how this one turned out, but the AI seems oblivious to props placed all over the road. Sometimes they'll take the branch, but other times they'll just drive into rocks and respawn themselves. :/

MODNATION_8.jpg

MODNATION_11.jpg

MODNATION_10.jpg

MODNATION_9.jpg

MODNATION_12.jpg

PSN name is Kirbutashi if you try them out.
Is there an option I'm missing somewhere to increase the size of your screenshots?

sinxtanx

The track I'm currently the most satisfied with:

HAIRPIN LAKE - a very drift-friendly track with a shortcut that requires some skill.

Top Bottom