• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Direct coming December 15th

Who do you want announced as a new fighter for Smash?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the Bayo thread, but...

The biggest issue Wolf faces now is the retirement of Brawl's code base. This leaves Wolf to be entirely remade from scratch, like Mewtwo. But unlike Mewtwo, can Wolf remain relevant and popular enough to warrant so much work to bring him back? I'm not entirely sure.

Part of me hopes some stuff from Brawl was ported to Smash 4's file system, but never finished, so at least the files exist to be ported in the future. I'd really hate to lose some of those stages and characters just because they missed Smash 4 and are unable to be ported to a newer game.

Well, I know I only bought the vets so other people could play them. If I didn't play smash locally the money for them would've never left my bank account :p

I only bought Roy because having an incomplete roster would've bugged me, my personal distaste for him aside.

I was so relieved to see Lucas back.

Hmm. So they do know fem Corrin is way cooler >.>
Heh.
Every time I see male Corrin I can't help but think he looks like he's trying to imitate Helbram from Nanatsu no Taizai (aka. Seven Deadly Sins):

tumblr_njtxcsJovX1u21ng6o1_500.gif

I like Roy and it's pretty funny they actually brought him back, but honestly in retrospect, If I was told we'd be getting another FE newcomer for DLC and they were going to either bring Roy or Wolf back, I would of picked Wolf.

On the Wii U CSS there's only room for 1 more character right now. If they do another page JUST for DLC characters, it's going to look terrible.

I brought this concern up earlier in the thread too. They could collapse two squares into one ala Mii Fighter, but maybe they could find a way to move the random button. In screens without the random button, such as the character customization menu, there are two squares left. A last measure would be to resize every single square, though I'm not sure how that would turn out.

I like Roy and it's pretty funny they actually brought him back, but honestly in retrospect, If I was told we'd be getting another FE newcomer for DLC and they were going to either bring Roy or Wolf back, I would of picked Wolf.

I like to think in this circumstance many of us would've chosen Wolf.

Heck even if I wasn't told about Corrin.

Eh, wouldn't I love to be able to directly check Sakurai's Bayo prelude to see if "final new character" means "final newcomer" or "final character to arrive". Gotta go with the latter just in case, since we didn't see him twisting his words too much.

Eh, wouldn't I love to be able to directly check Sakurai's Bayo prelude to see if "final new character" means "final newcomer" or "final character to arrive". Gotta go with the latter just in case, since we didn't see him twisting his words too much.

He totaled everything up at the end. We won't be getting any addition DLC.

Wolf's exclusion is sort of baffling, and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like him. Optimistically, I think his unexplained absence is a clue towards the development of a Smash 4 NX (A higher profile vet like him would be a better selling point than say, Pichu or Young Link, especially hot off the heels of Star Fox Zero) but more likely he just wasn't very high priority for whatever reason and they just went "eh screw it" to focus on Bayonetta.

It's probably hilarious to think that perhaps the reason why they weren't in a rush to include Wolf was because people already assumed he was on the way no matter what, so his fans didn't bother to vote or demand for him, as opposed to someone like Mewtwo or Roy who probably had more demand due to having more to lose, having skipped brawl.

I'm more surprised that Lucas got in over Wolf, than I am that Wolf didn't get in at all. Thought I suppose people did complain a lot about Wolf in Brawl while some people had Lucas as their main, so I guess he somehow managed to have a bigger fanbase.

Berordn

I brought this concern up earlier in the thread too. They could collapse two squares into one ala Mii Fighter, but maybe they could find a way to move the random button. In screens without the random button, such as the character customization menu, there are two squares left. A last measure would be to resize every single square, though I'm not sure how that would turn out.

The June DLC actually resulted in the CSS getting resized. The aspect ratios for the character squares are ever so slightly off.

He totaled everything up at the end. We won't be getting any addition DLC.

While I certainly wouldn't expect anything (mainly because of that seemingly final tally), the wording on the NA direct only said "last newcomer." I suppose there's a minuscule, virtually nonexistant chance that there's a veteran up their sleeve.

I'm more surprised that Lucas got in over Wolf, than I am that Wolf didn't get in at all. Thought I suppose people did complain a lot about Wolf in Brawl while some people had Lucas as their main, so I guess he somehow managed to have a bigger fanbase.

I kinda agree, but looking back, I guess Lucas technically adds more to Earthbound's representation than Wolf did for SF.

What I mean is, the Mother series isn't structured like Mario, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, and such. Mother 1, Earthbound and Mother 3 all have (mostly) different locations, main characters and stories.

Some would argue that Ness alone perfectly represents Mother, but I kind of disagree with that. When you think about it, Ness doesn't exactly cover Mother as a whole, considering Earthbound is only 1/3 of the series. By including Lucas we bring in elements not seen in EB and even M1 and therefore make the series representation feel more complete. I don't view Ness and Lucas as just "Mother reps", but Ness as the Earthbound rep and Lucas as the Mother 3 rep. They both represent the two most revered and important games in their franchise.

When you look at Star Fox, a series with the same main characters each game, Fox and Falco are in every title, so in that sense, they cover all SF games in a way Ness couldn't do for Mother on his own, if that makes any sense. That's probably a factor in why they saw Lucas as more important than Wolf.

Fandangox

Sakurai: Here's the last character trailer. Enjoy.

Lenghty closure video totalling all the content in the game and talking about how DLC worked.

Sakurai: Thank you for supporting Smash Brothers.

Some Fans: But guys Maybe there's a chance th

jnWake

It seems we're reaching "Ridley's not a boss"-quality arguments of people hoping for more DLC.

Funny part is that people then say Sakurai is a tease.

Berordn

It seems we're reaching "Ridley's not a boss"-quality arguments of people hoping for more DLC.

Funny part is that people then say Sakurai is a tease.

I imagine most of us would readily admit that you have a better chance to win the lottery than you do for another DLC character.

Neiteio

Sakurai: Here's the last character trailer. Enjoy.

Lenghty closure video totalling all the content in the game and talking about how DLC worked.

Sakurai: Thank you for supporting Smash Brothers.

Some Fans: But guys Maybe there's a chance th
Exactly. The way Sakurai wrapped the broadcast with the final count of everything seemed pretty definitive.

I mean, I can -imagine- a scenario where he starts by mentioning the wrap-up and says "but we managed to squeeze in a bit extra than December, so we're bumping the total." And then he unveils a surprise. Could be a character, or even a few more Mii Fighter outfits to exceed 100 pieces.

However... just because I can imagine it, doesn't mean I expect it. I think Sakurai is truly done with Smash 4 on WiiU and 3DS. Hopefully he'll expand on it with an "Ultra" edition on NX, but for the time being he's taking a rest. And a well-deserved one, too, seeing how Bayonetta has the work of like 10 characters in one!

While I certainly wouldn't expect anything (mainly because of that seemingly final tally), the wording on the NA direct only said "last newcomer." I suppose there's a minuscule, virtually nonexistant chance that there's a veteran up their sleeve.

I'll admit that's weird wording, but the rest of the Direct made it clear this was it for DLC.

A surprise Wolf would be appreciated, but I'm not expecting anything.

A "one last thing" at the end of the next Direct. But nah...

Exactly. The way Sakurai wrapped the broadcast with the final count of everything seemed pretty definitive.

I mean, I can -imagine- a scenario where he starts by mentioning the wrap-up and says "but we managed to squeeze in a bit extra than December, so we're bumping the total." And then he unveils a surprise. Could be a character, or even a few more Mii Fighter outfits to exceed 100 pieces.

However... just because I can imagine it, doesn't mean I expect it. I think Sakurai is truly done with Smash 4 on WiiU and 3DS. Hopefully he'll expand on it with an "Ultra" edition on NX, but for the time being he's taking a rest. And a well-deserved one, too, seeing how Bayonetta has the work of like 10 characters in one!

To be fair, he actually counted up all of the characters at the Ryu Direct as well.

I was a Roy main in Melee and I play him more than anyone else in Sm4sh, but I wouldn't mind it if they just made Marth into Bowser Jr. and we had a Lucina, Roy, Sigurd (please please please), Chrom, Eliwood, etc as just skins of Marth, and then kept Ike and Robin as their own unique characters. It would be a good way to show off the very long history of the series without somehow having more representation than Zelda.

That said, Kamui looks hella fun and I definitely want to try him/her as soon as he/she is out.

So, here's a Sakurai tweet you may find interesting. According to Source Gaming:

While we were in the discussion phase, I did worry that we were getting too many "Fire Emblem" characters, but thankfully, Corrin has become a fighter unlike any other. It'll be just a little while more until we're done, so please look forward to it!

So he really did note the abundant FE representation.

Time to put on your tin hats, I'm going full on conspiracy!

Sakurai never mentioned the Japanese poll winners or top placers at all, and was careful to never say Bayonetta was the final character, just the final new comer.

The truth is, Wolf placed first in Japan, and very high in both the US and EU, enough that, while Bayonetta ended up winning overall, Wolf came in second.

The year is 2016, early January. Users datamining the 3DS for fun casually notice there's a strange extra character slot. They post their findings on Reddit, but are mostly ignored and flamed because how could there be extra slots, they must be just junk data. So they figure it's nothing worth bringing up again.

The year is 2016. The month, January. Late in it. The first Direct of the year goes off without a hitch. But curiously, Sakurai had Tweeted earlier in the day that he was eager to watch it. That's strange.

At the end, Reggie steps out. "We have one, final, announcement before we leave you today. I hope you're as excited for Star Fox Zero as we are, so we've prepared a little something special with our good friends at Namco"

The fire crosses through the screen. Fans around the world's hearts start racing. What could it be? What? I thought?

"Can't keep me away from Smash forever, Fox."

WOLF CLAWS HIS WAY IN

"Just who I needed to see... Star Wolf"

"Did you honestly think I'd be forgotten? Now it's time to show you how sharp these claws really are"

Neogaf crashes

Reddit crashes

Smashboards crashes

Etika has a heart attack

AND HE'S BRITISH

The chances of this happening are 0, but it's fun to think about. The wording they kept using consistently calling Bayonetta the last newcomer is really weird. And think about it, Wolf would have been totally lost in a presentation with Bayonetta, Cloud and Corrin in it.

I'm just spewing nonsense. This isn't happening.

Ryce

Sakurai never called Bayonetta the last newcomer. The actual quotes are:

"Here's our last fighter announcement trailer."

"Please take a look at the final new challenger in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U."

Sakurai never called Bayonetta the last newcomer. The actual quotes are:

"Here's our last fighter announcement trailer."

"Please take a look at the final new challenger in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U."

Even so, I think we'll likely see crazy conspiracy theories about the usage of "final new challenger" right up until Sakurai confirms there will be no patches at all for Smash 4 ever again.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly I was kinda disappointed with the direct, I mean Corrin and Bayonetta are cool but I was expecting a few more characters from the Smash Poll.

Plus seeing Takamaru as a Mii costume just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, even more now that I know that he was originally going to be playable.

Plus seeing Takamaru as a Mii costume just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, even more now that I know that he was originally going to be playable.

I see the Takamaru mii outift as some form of thing that Sakurai is trying to test.

Considering that he would like to put in Takamaru, but doesn't due to not that much people knowing him, things like Nintendo Land, a rerelease of his game on 3DS, the Smash Ballot showing Sakurai that there are a lot of people who want him, and a mii costume is just Sakurai seeing if Takamaru should be planned for Smash 5.

MisterHero

I'm internally debating which samurai should be in Smash

Takamaru is Nintendo of course, but I love Mitsurugi from SoulCalibur. Yoshimitsu works as well. His UpB can be the pogo-sword

Think of it this way:
Takamaru likely would not have been a very successful DLC. He's more a character you can put into the base game because he comes packaged with dozens of others, while DLC are single characters that have to sell well. The characters we got all are either veterans and thus already very popular with the Smash fans, or 3rd parties of massive caliber. And Corrin I guess.

If there's a new Smash installment that increases the roster, Takamaru has an amazing chance of making it in as a newcomer. I think that several of the Mii costumes we got in this and last wave were strong hints towards Sakurai acknowledging the popular and/or wished-for characters of K. Rool, Geno, Ashley, Inklings, Heihachi, Lloyd, Tails, and Knuckles. The fact Takamaru is among these characters should fill you with optimism - it means that either he placed super well in the ballot as well, and Sakurai acknowledges him as being a desired character, or that Sakurai really likes Takamaru; enough to make him a costume AND an AT.

Ryce

Honestly I was kinda disappointed with the direct, I mean Corrin and Bayonetta are cool but I was expecting a few more characters from the Smash Poll.

Takamaru was "briefly considered" — the thought of Takamaru passed through Sakurai's head — but he was never actually planned. He wasn't cut from the roster or anything serious like that.

batfax

Takamaru's only shot at being playable in Smash is through a revival like Punch-Out!! on Wii.

This is part of why I'm really curious as to what Sakurai's next project will be. Assuming it's another experiment with an old Nintendo property, like Kid Icarus, it could have some very interesting implications for the next Smash. Also, regardless, it'll probably be an amazing game, again, like Kid Icarus.

Fingers crossed for Famicom Detective Club, Murasame, or Ice Climbers if he does that.

SeanR1221

Has anyone made a mockup of the character select screen with Corrina and Bayo? I kinda wanna see all the game select screens next to each other.

So, here's a Sakurai tweet you may find interesting. According to Source Gaming:

So he really did note the abundant FE representation.

Don't forget to link to the Tweet! Thanks for sharing though <33.

Personally, I'm not surprised by Sakurai's response. I even predicted it in my Reaction Response.

The newcomers are all very unique, and you have to give props to Sakurai for that. It was a goal after Brawl, and he succeed! I hope he does come back for the next game.

HeroR

I like that it's basically "We worried about it, but we care more about how he plays, so eh. Fuck off."

Although I loved Smash as a character mixed up, play style should always win over a character or character rep. Heck, if he made K Rool with a good and interesting moveset, I would buy him despite disliking the character. That is why I bought Ryu despite not being into traditional fighting games, except Soul Caliber.

OTiger

Neo Member
Don't forget to link to the Tweet! Thanks for sharing though <33.

Personally, I'm not surprised by Sakurai's response. I even predicted it in my Reaction Response.

The newcomers are all very unique, and you have to give props to Sakurai for that. It was a goal after Brawl, and he succeed! I hope he does come back for the next game.

Speaking of that, I've noticed that how different the newcomers in this game are different in Brawl or Melee. Here in Smash 4, the newcomers usually have some sort of unique quirk, such as Little Mac's power meter, Robin's breakable weapons, Bayonetta's extreme combing ability, etc. Note that Sakurai said that he focused more on gameplay balance and distinctiveness of its characters, rather than new playable characters,

In Brawl, the newcomers were usually demanded characters. There was a suggestion box (in Japan) before the game released. Not to say that Smash 4 doesn't have demanded characters thought, like Shulk or Mega Man.

Melee is kinda similar to Brawl, but Sakurai also put in unexpected characters too, like Sheik and Mr. Game and Watch.

Who knows what the next Smash game will focus on?

Speaking of that, I've noticed that how different the newcomers in this game are different in Brawl or Melee. Here in Smash 4, the newcomers usually have some sort of unique quirk, such as Little Mac's power meter, Robin's breakable weapons, Bayonetta's extreme combing ability, etc. In Brawl, the newcomers were usually demanded characters. Not to say that Smash 4 doesn't have demanded characters thought, like Shulk or Mega Man.

That's basically been the thing with all the newcomers since Day 1.

Brawl and Melee had hints of these. Ice Climbers were duo characters, Olimar was and still is based around using Pikmin, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS and Pokemon Trainer were characters based around transforming (for better or worse), and Lucario had and still has the Aura mechanic (for better or worse lol). But then you had "normal" characters like Pit, Diddy, Lucas, Wolf, Ike, etc. Smash 4 is when Sakurai really went all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom