• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

heidern

If anything, I am really curious to see how he expands and fosters change in Nintendo's development efforts. We might see more 1st-party M&As, since his background likely makes him less hesitant toward them than his predecessor, so long as the value is retained in them for Nintendo.

I doubt it. He said releasing lots of new IPs was not likely to lead to success. Nintendo will likely stick to the current conservative strategy of trying to get a couple of breakout hits to drive the generation. That's in addition to some hardware innovation of some kind.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
About the last DQ mobile game, is it me or it's not performing that well? A bit worrying for what should have been the next big SQEX mobile game.
kigyaMn.png
It's a bit hard to say. Japanese mobile game revenue tends to be event driven, so when the next one comes up, we'll be able to see where it goes. You'll notice the spike in the middle corresponding to the last one.

I can't imagine they'll wait more than another week without an event though. Generally you run them weekly or - if they last for a week - every few weeks.

But yes, if it doesn't react to the next event, it's not an amazing performance relative to potential.

Yep, it's up to 9 again with the new patch.

Mory Dunz

Hm, no? If Minecraft can sell 200k on PS4 it won't sell only that on Wii U.

There is big overlapping between PS4, PS3, PSV users but no competition for Wii U.

Oh, so whatcha thinking? Unless I missed an earlier prediction.

Retail version I'd confirmed for japan and the west right?

test_account

XP-39C²
Ōkami;189857513 said:
On a different note, was watching the Square live stream of Dragon Quest Builders, we already knew the price of the games but it's still mindblowing what they're charging for it, Vita SKU is almost 6k yen, PS4 SKU is 7.8k yen. Minecraft Vita is only 2.4k (all without including taxes).

More simply, Minecraft Vita is $20, DQB on Vita is $50 and DQB on PS4 is $65.
I wonder whats the best strategy. Pricing it at ~$60 means that they have to sell three times less compared to Minecraft to see the same revenue. (for example, ~350k copies instead of a million).

Not getting rid of them, of course, but downscaling the team and using them as asset developers or mobile games.

Monolithsoft doesn't just do the Xeno games. they've worked on Smash, Animal Crossing, Skyward Sword, etc. They're being well utilized. No need to downscale them.

Bitanator

Square Enix hoping the name itself will sell DQB, might bite them in the end, but I expect it to sell nicely, a port to NX would seem likely since they are already shown interest in the thing. What are people expectations for the game?

Terrell

I doubt it. He said releasing lots of new IPs was not likely to lead to success. Nintendo will likely stick to the current conservative strategy of trying to get a couple of breakout hits to drive the generation. That's in addition to some hardware innovation of some kind.

You realize that nothing you said relates to what I posted, right? And without a definition of "lots of new IPs" and determining if he wouldn't do it on the back of success via other means, the statement doesn't really have traction, either.

horuhe

What are people expectations for the game?

It will have a better first week than Minecraft, of course, I would say between 80k and 120k, and then having legs because of the type of game it is, but by far not the same as Minecraft. Maybe two or three months after that will be needed to not see it charting with 200k or 250k in total. Maybe I'm even exaggerating, don't know.

duckroll

Monolithsoft doesn't just do the Xeno games. they've worked on Smash, Animal Crossing, Skyward Sword, etc. They're being well utilized. No need to downscale them.

Actually, about that. It's not quite that simple. Originally when they were just the Tokyo studio, yes they worked on stuff like Smash and Skyward Sword to help Nintendo out, when they had free resources between their bigger games, When that partnership became effective, Nintendo actually expanded Monolithsoft by establishing a Kyoto studio for them, taking core art team leaders and recruiting for more digital artist staff.

This Kyoto studio is what exclusively works on Nintendo asset assistance now - Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc. Meanwhile with the development of Xenoblade X, the Tokyo studio also started recruiting more aggressively to build up a larger team for development of the game. So if they actually stop making big games completely (which is unlikely), they will need to downsize, yes. This has happened before actually. There was a point where they downsized from 100+ staff to 80 staff or so years back when there was less to work on after Nintendo bought them, iirc. Now they're back up to 100+.

hiska-kun

First, we should know if hiska is ok with that.

It's ok for me.
Maybe you should note on the new thread that digital estimates are coming from user polls though, and they aren't 100% accurate.

Amazon has apparently ran out of Splatoon bundle stock and they will get a new shipment after Christmas - can anyone confirm?

It's fully available at retail stores.
No stock problems for MHX either this week.

Mory Dunz

Actually, about that. It's not quite that simple. Originally when they were just the Tokyo studio, yes they worked on stuff like Smash and Skyward Sword to help Nintendo out, when they had free resources between their bigger games, When that partnership became effective, Nintendo actually expanded Monolithsoft by establishing a Kyoto studio for them, taking core art team leaders and recruiting for more digital artist staff.

This Kyoto studio is what exclusively works on Nintendo asset assistance now - Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc. Meanwhile with the development of Xenoblade X, the Tokyo studio also started recruiting more aggressively to build up a larger team for development of the game. So if they actually stop making big games completely (which is unlikely), they will need to downsize, yes. This has happened before actually. There was a point where they downsized from 100+ staff to 80 staff or so years back when there was less to work on after Nintendo bought them, iirc. Now they're back up to 100+.

which studio did attack of the sayains?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Don't forget that Monolith Soft also produced Project X Zone (which clearly sold well enough to warrant a sequel) and Project X Zone 2 for their original owner Bandai Namco at the same time as they worked on Xenoblade Chronicles X and assets for all of those other first-party Nintendo games. Monolith Soft does a lot. I really hope Nintendo keeps treating them well.

I understand that Project X Zone 2 may have been greenlit due to Western sales rather than Japanese ones, but from Nintendo's perspective that shouldn't matter, it didn't for Bandai Namco.

Square Enix hoping the name itself will sell DQB, might bite them in the end, but I expect it to sell nicely, a port to NX would seem likely since they are already shown interest in the thing. What are people expectations for the game?
More than 500k in Asia atleast.

Dragon Quest Heroes sold more than 1 million in Asia which got it the Platinum award.

It's DQ so it should do pretty well. It's a well-thought and advertised spin-off on the right platforms (given MC userbase and DQH sales) so it should definitely cross the 600k units mark: 100k on PS3, 250k on PS4 and 250k on PSV.

#FE ads in Japan.

From OT on GAF

CWCiJvAUwAEx88d.jpg

CVhmCCLUAAI23nn.jpg

CVHaHXfUYAAAb94.jpg

CUvh82qUEAA6oKO.jpg

Prerelease advertisements that have been up the past couple weeks. There have been niconico events as well as other forms of advertisement. Fire Emblem Cipher has some crossovers but this game is definitely for the fans. I'll see if there is anything up in Sapporo. I know some regulars at MAXIM HERO game center in Sapporo are looking forward to this title.

Orgen

Minecraft is going to end #1 eshop game of all time in japan, there's no need to post every time it advances one position.

I didn't know it did 200.000 digital on PS4 (if I read Chris correctly) so this should be the bare minimum to do on Wii U (due to no overlapping and being more kids oriented than PS4). Maybe it can reach 500.000 if Nintendo supports it with Nintendo packs in the future

Fisico

Don't forget that Monolith Soft also produced Project X Zone (which clearly sold well enough to warrant a sequel) and Project X Zone 2 for their original owner Bandai Namco at the same time as they worked on Xenoblade Chronicles X and assets for all of those other first-party Nintendo games. Monolith Soft does a lot. I really hope Nintendo keeps treating them well.

I understand that Project X Zone 2 may have been greenlit due to Western sales rather than Japanese ones, but from Nintendo's perspective that shouldn't matter, it didn't for Bandai Namco.

Well they have a team dedicated to these kind of project that have been making
the same
games on a regular basis since Namco x Capcom back in 2005 (SRT MnF 2008, SRT MnF Exceed 2010, PxZ 2012, PxZ 2 2015), they will probably continue this way moving onto a new IP more western friendly that SRT.

L~A

So, remember that news about Yo-kai Watch not being at the Kouhaku Uta Gassen (that famous New Year ever show on NHK)? Well turns out YW WILL be there... along with Pokémon.

This year's Kōhaku Uta Gassen, or Red & White Song Contest, an annual song contest that pits male and female teams against each other on New Year's Eve, will feature an anime song segment for the first time. The category will honor anime characters who have "enchanted and moved children from the postwar period to the Heisei Era [modern times]."

This includes characters from Astro Boy, Kyojin no Hoshi, Gegege no Kitarō, Yatterman, Mobile Suit Gundam, Fist of the North Star, Sailor Moon, Pokémon, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Like their live-action counterparts, the contestants will be sorted into Red and White teams — the former for female characters, the latter for male ones. The Red team will be hosted by Maruko of Chibi Maruko-chan, while Whisper of Yōkai Watch will host the White team. They will be joined by Yoshihiko Inohara and Haruka Ayase, who host the live-action Red and White teams.

Source

Crisis averted ;)

So, remember that news about Yo-kai Watch not being at the Kouhaku Uta Gassen (that famous New Year ever show on NHK)? Well turns out YW WILL be there... along with Pokémon.

Source

Crisis averted ;)
Will the White team have 60% of the contestants like it has 60% of the sales? ;)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's ok for me.
Maybe you should note on the new thread that digital estimates are coming from user polls though, and they aren't 100% accurate.

It's fully available at retail stores.
No stock problems for MHX either this week.

Working on it between now and the next few hours.
P.S. Yeah, at least on Nintendo side, Cube Creator 3D, BoxBoy and The Battle Cats numbers arent that reliable (given what else we know), so they're not completely correct. Still, better than nothing :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 52, 2015 (Dec 21 - Dec 27)

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X < 250k (average 185k)
02. [3DS] Monster Strike < 200k (average 160k)
03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters < 150k (average 120k)

00. [PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force < 130k (average 90k)
00. [WIU] Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem < 35k (average 30k)

YSO predictions

Third parties on roll on 3DS.

Xbro

YSO predictions

That's honestly better than I expected for #FE

Source

Crisis averted ;)

They're showing it in Southern California on UTB 18.2, if anyone is in the area. I may be able to watch it.
Team Youkai.

FluxWaveZ

Man, Genei Ibun Roku #FE's not gonna do good. What were the reasons behind its projected subpar performance? I was always aware of the sentiment it wasn't going to perform well, but never took note of the specific reasons.

Top Bottom