• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Same-sex relationships removed from Fire Emblem: Fates in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now is this censorship or is this still just localization?

image.php

Seriously, you have to be a joke poster and this has to be some lame attempt at a troll.

And you guys only quoting me for having a opinion on the matter are missing the point completely.

They only do this kind of censorship because people out there support censorship when it's convenient. People should never support censorship.

diaspora

Neil Gaiman: Why defend freedom of icky speech?

The article as a whole is about government intervention on freedom of speech, but I think the main takeaway is applicable in this scenario as well:
Localization changes never violate first amendment rights. To think it does implies idiocy and a complete lack of understanding of what rights are. People wouldn't complain about killing gay marraige here because of "censorship" but because they'd be killing what little gay rep there is.

Shizuka

The other stuff is coming from NoA, this is coming from NoE. Regrettably the environment regarding same-sex relationships is pretty different between the two (since gay marriage is legal in the US and Canada, but there are some EU countries where it isn't).

It was kinda suspicious how NoE's been relatively silent on the game. :/ I'm honestly seriously disappointed in them if this is true. So much for the whole "NoE is better than NoA!" narrative. What a bunch of chickens.

I mean, does it matter? If the country doesn't have legal same-sex marriage, does that mean all media have to portray that scenario? If nothing changes, how can the country be expected to think forward? It's a fantasy game, not a realistic, set in Europe game.

patapuf

Is there even such a thing as an "italian" version? usually you get a version that covers spanish/italian/french/german/english.

DNAbro

Love how the censorship of this game wasn't a slippery slope until they removed same sex relationships, now suddenly there's a problem? There was a problem from the very beginning when we first heard features were getting axed, censorship is unacceptable.

is it shocking to some people that you can care about certain things being cut and not care about other things being cut?

... This is not about freedom of speech, this is about corporate changes to their consumer product. Accept that video games are products products that may or may not include artistic elements.

Abriael

Banned
I have a strong feeling this is something they'd rather not push out in PR, as the inclusion of the same-sex relationship was a selling point for the game and really distinguished it from past games.

True, but people in Italy talk a lot, and something like this would have probably come out earlier. It just seems so strange that it borders the grotesque to me.

That said, I shot a mail to my contact at Nintendo Italy, she's from the same office that allegedly sent that mail, so they're directly called on it. If she responds with anything factual, I'll let you guys know.

Atolm

If this ends being true I hope those happy with the petting being removed understand what can happen when you begin to remove things that might offend you and why some if us are against all types of censorship.

Hint: If something offends you, don't buy it, but everyone else doesn't need your superiority complex.

This is really bizarre, given that the Japanese release includes same sex marriage, right? It isn't legal in that country either. So why is this being done for the Italian localization? Makes no sense. If Japan has the feature, Italy should too.

Now THIS is a problem. :(

Fan service and civil rights are not the same thing. Blushing anime girls (and guys) whose faces you can rub have not been historically oppressed and denied representation. They have not been told they don't exist, persecuted for how they were born, and denied the same space to find partners as everyone else.

Including same sex relationships is passive activism and valuable because it acknowledges a humanitarian conversation being had all over the world. Including same sex relationships sends a message of normalcy and encourages acknowledgment of different sexual orientations.

Including alienating fan service is, simply, not any of these things.

Not all content is created equal. A creator or company deciding to remove certain content has more weight when it reinforces a historically problematic dialog about the validity of human sexuality.
All censorship is bad. Don't add content you're gonna regret adding later.

Venfayth

As much as I don't want to get in to the censorship debate yet again, this is exactly why having language that differentiates "a company blatantly editing content to avoid backlash" from "a company bending to political clout" is important.

I think they're both censorship, and both bad, but I also don't think they're equivalent, not in a moral sense.

Kinsei

Banned
And you guys only quoting me for having a opinion on the matter are missing the point completely.

They only do this kind of censorship because people out there support censorship when it's convenient. People should never support censorship.

Saying oppression doesn't exist isn't an opinion, it's just flat out wrong.

Sylas

... This is not about freedom of speech, this is about corporate changes to their consumer product. Accept that video games are products products that may or may not include artistic elements.

Except it stands the very real possibility of being mandated by a government to see release in a region.

That is censorship and goes against freedom of speech. It's not localized changes, it's a hand being forced by a government agency. The difference is staggering.

This likely isn't limited to just the Italian version.
Which is precisely why it stands the very real possibility of being mandated by government agencies. They have to report to several governments and if a single one says, "Representation of gay relationships is against the law," they have to cave to that pressure due to EU games being all-encompassing.

I understand the basics of how people could conflate the two as they're both cutting content to make the game more "palatable" to some segment of society, but this is a perfect illustration of the, "Is this the hill you want to die on?" question.

I'd go to the wall defending an oppressed social group. Not so much for a "touch this anime person" mini-game. Perhaps some would suggest that still creates for a slippery slope, but I feel pretty confident that I can separate the significance of these two topics.

I've said this before in other threads, but because of how insignificant the other changes are I find them a good "hill to fight on" (not die since the insignificant nature of it means I'm not completely invested). I however do believe in the slippery slope nature of it that you do not.

Edit: Once again someone else made the point better then me while I was writing this, and I could have just quoted that Neil Gaiman quote.

I mean, does it matter? If the country doesn't have legal same-sex marriage, does that mean all media have to portray that scenario? If nothing changes, how can the country be expected to think forward? It's a fantasy game, not a realistic, set in Europe game.

I know, my point is that's the reason why they made the decision, but I don't agree with cutting it at all. Esp since even in Japan same-sex marriage isn't legal but they have it anyway. This is just cowardice from NoE that contributes to a very real, very on-going real world problem.

Yes, I live in Brazil and there are a lot of black guys here.
In fact, I'm standing in front of one right now at work. He's my co-worker.

"I'm not black but I'm standing in front of a black guy so this is proof that oppression doesn't exist"

Neil Gaiman: Why defend freedom of icky speech?

The article as a whole is about government intervention on freedom of speech, but I think the main takeaway is applicable in this scenario as well:

Homophobia is not freedom of speech

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Localization changes never violate first amendment rights. To think it does implies idiocy and a complete lack of understanding of what rights are. People wouldn't complain about killing gay marraige here because of "censorship" but because they'd be killing what little gay rep there is.
I did acknowledge that comparing first amendment rights to self-censorship was not quite the same thing. What I'm trying to voice is that the moment one decides one morality boundary is ok but not another then it's easy for it to slide to a level that will suddenly bugger a lot more people than before.

massoluk

Banned
This is really bizarre, given that the Japanese release includes same sex marriage, right? It isn't legal in that country either. So why is this being done for the Italian localization? Makes no sense. If Japan has the feature, Italy should too.

There's a good point that should be quoted and why I find this one hard to believe.

Of course the situation isn't identical to the petting minigame, but this is EXACTLY the reason why people shouldn't celebrate a company making cuts to appease certain markets. Because it IS a slippery slope and this is what happens.

dan2026

Neil Gaiman is exactly right.

Its so sad to me how people will just ignore the censorship of 'anime bullshit' because they dont care or dont like it. But when something they do want is removed its all hands on deck.

Its hypocritical and sad.

How convenient that this rumor appears after all the shit of the previous controversies, or I am wrong? This rumor is something fishy.

I do agree. If someone wanted to build a straw-man argument to defend the other stuff that's been cut, a rumor like this sure would be convenient.

Who knows though? The world can be a messed up place.

Funnily enough, today in our lecture in university we had someone from the localizing department of Nintendo of Europe as a guest lecturer(he talked about localizing Tomodachi Life). Should have asked him about this.

diaspora

I did acknowledge that comparing first amendment rights to self-censorship was not quite the same thing. What I'm trying to voice is that the moment one decides one morality boundary is ok but not another then it's easy for it to slide to a level that will suddenly bugger a lot more people than before.
That's a logical fallacy for a reason

So, before you guys start waging war against each other again ... i've got an idea:

We do have italian Gaffers, could one of you please contact Nintendo directly and just blatantly ask about this?

This will create a 'PR nightmare' bigger than the minigame ever would
Sad thing is, some ignorant parents/persons publicy complaining in the media about "gay propaganda" (or whatever they would call this idiocy) is just as bad when it comes to PR.

Remember, those people are the "loudest" sometimes...

FluxWaveZ

is it shocking to some people that you can care about certain things being cut and not care about other things being cut?

No, but this is a superficial take on the issue. This is the problem I had from the start, even though I hate the concept of face petting. The fundamental problem is outright removal of content. If one case of "localization erasure" is supported and even defended, this incentivizes the same for other cases. And those cases might be ones you personally care about.

patapuf

Yeah, I just looked it up and at least the version i get in switzerland includes French/german/italian/english. I don't think italians get their "own" version.

If this ends being true I hope those happy with the petting being removed understand what can happen when you begin to remove things that might offend you and why some if us are against all types of censorship.

Hint: If something offends you, don't buy it, but everyone else doesn't need your superiority complex.

Please explain to me how same-sex relationships and drugging women/objectifying their bodies are even remotely the same thing.

Xater

Just in Italy?

It mentions Multi5 so that would be a change for Europe in general. Now we are in issue territory. Taking out homosexual relations oooooh boy. That will be a shit storm.

I'd go to the wall defending an oppressed social group. Not so much for a "touch this anime person" mini-game. Perhaps some would suggest that still creates for a slippery slope, but I feel pretty confident that I can separate the significance of these two topics.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom