• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman falls into, rips Picasso painting (Whoops!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

ACTOR.JPG

NEW YORK — A significant Pablo Picasso painting was damaged after a woman attending art class lost her balance, fell into "The Actor" and tore it, The Metropolitan Museum of Art said.

The unusually large canvas, measuring 77.25 by 45.38 inches (196 by 115cm), sustained a vertical tear of about six inches (15cm) in the lower right-hand corner in the accident on Friday.

The museum, located on the eastern edge of New York's Central Park, did not elaborate on why the woman fell.

But The Met said the damage did not impact the "focal point of the composition" and that it should be repaired in the coming weeks ahead of a major Picasso retrospective featuring some 250 works at the museum opening on April 27.

Repair work should be "unobtrusive," it added.

Painted in the winter of 1904-1905, the work hails from Picasso's critical Rose Period, when the artist shifted from the downbeat tones of his Blue Period to warmer, more romantic hues.

The period also hints at Picasso's later embrace of abstraction with his signature cubist style.

Donated to The Met by automobile heiress Thelma Chrysler Foy in 1952, "The Actor" features an acrobat striking a dramatic pose against an abstract backdrop. It was painted on a used canvas that already contained a painting.

Link

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
That sucks. I thought they normally had these things encased in glass or something?

That's my worst museum paranoia... accidentally falling into a painting, tripping over a sculpture, taking out my permanent marker and drawing a mustache on the people depicted...

Glad to hear that they can repair stuff like that.

Barrett2

EvaPlusMinus said:
That sucks. I thought they normally had these things encased in glass or something?

Nope. Its actually pretty crazy; when I went to the MET a few years ago, all I could think about was how I could take a knife to 20 paintings before a feeble old guard could stop me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Spider from Mars said:
This is probably going to tear her up inside.

She'll go on a trip over the summer, probably forget all about it next fall.

MrMysterio said:
That's my worst museum paranoia... accidentally falling into a painting, tripping over a sculpture, taking out my permanent marker and drawing a mustache on the people depicted...

Glad to hear that they can repair stuff like that.

Actually pretty amazing what they can do with restoration. And if this was in the lower right hand area just where the red area is, few will probably be able to notice it.

Borman

No, very few do that Ive seen anyway. All a matter of usability vs safety, glass would just obstruct the work

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The puns are going to be punishable soon, mark my words, especially bad ones.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Fuck yeah Vennt!

This looks pre-cubist Picasso, so probably not that big of a deal.

lawblob said:
Nope. Its actually pretty crazy; when I went to the MET a few years ago, all I could think about was how I could take a knife to 20 paintings before a feeble old guard could stop me.

fuck a knife, a bottle of metho or basic acid and you've destroyed a whole mess of history.

Lucky people aren't THAT fucked

MisterHero

crowphoenix said:
You know, I've always been worried about doing something like this. I can't even imagine the embarrassment.
I went to a Titanic exhibit and it took all of my power to not touch the piece of the hull they had on display.

I sat there for 10 minutes and decided I didn't want to get in trouble. :lol

HeySeuss

POWERSPHERE said:
fuck a knife, a bottle of metho or basic acid and you've destroyed a whole mess of history.

Lucky people aren't THAT fucked

Welcome to our planet, you staying here long or just visiting?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
TheUglyDrunk said:
Really? Puns are a GAF constant, and people getting morally outraged over them.

No, memes are a constant, as is their eventual overuse to the point of making threads unbearable. Nothing lasts forever.

Vennt said:
No, memes are a constant, as is their eventual overuse to the point of making threads unbearable. Nothing lasts forever.

Memes and the ever present MAIC threads. This place is very fickle, keeps you on your toes at least.

Jenga

Banned
Burli said:
You're going to ban puns? You might as well ban sarcasm while you're at it.
AND LO, THE TIME OF BANS AND PURGES IS UPON US, AND NOT EVEN THE MOST INSIGNIFICANT LURKER SHALL ESCAPE THE CARNAGE, BLOOD SHALL RUN FROM THE LIFELESS BODIES OF THE CYNIC, THE PESSIMIST, AND THE SARCASTIC WHEN THE MODS COMETH

I don't give a shit about most art, so whatever. Poor lady :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Vennt said:

Posting on gaf is a delicate balance. Someone is always ready to tear you apart. :X

I was going to post a picture from the last Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, the one with caviar being sprayed on the original Picasso; but I couldn't find it in 1 Google image search so i gave up.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Vennt said:
THANK YOU!!!

Poor woman, she must've been really embarrassed after that. :lol

pestul

Makes me think of the Mayan temples. You could just carve your 'I was here' right over priceless ancient sculptures and artwork while being a bumbling tourist. Really no security or preservation mindset there.

lawblob said:

So you can just tear up or damage the Mona Lisa and keep kicking? Dont they have serious laws and fines on something like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom