• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman falls into, rips Picasso painting (Whoops!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wRATH2x

Banned
bjork said:
I think his post explained it well enough. One pun once in awhile, sure. 900000 Dookake clithangers and wannabes, annoying as shit.
I still don't think it should be bannable. So if I posted a pun in some thread, be it horrible or comedy gold, would I get banned?

Chinner

Banned
Vennt said:
The problem isn't puns as such, the problem is what's called a "pun cascade" where nearly the first 2 pages of a thread are worthless attempts at "winning the thread" that rather than being entertainment just cheapen the OP, thread and even the good jokes for the sake of it, it's getting tiring and like most memes that start out worthwhile, overdone to the point of ridiculousness.

No, a pun in the right place, like punctuation, is a brilliant thing, but that's starting to be weakened by a race to "teh win!" that lots of people are getting sick of.

Tell you what, lets make it fun again, lets allow such pun cascades, where a winner of a thread can indeed be lauded, but all runner-ups get a weeks ban... Might make people hold back a bit and make life interesting ;) :p
i think i actually love you

Cyan

Banned
Vennt said:
No, a pun in the right place, like punctuation
Groan.

Wrath2X said:
Whys that?

It wouldn't be GAF without the puns, bad or good.
Sure it would. GAF got along just fine before all these punks started trying to imitate Dookake a year or two ago.

bjork said:
Falling makes you stupid?

Houston3000 said:
The fuck? She fell down, how does that make her "stupid"?

Being in the immediate vicinity of something that valuable imparts a certain degree of responsibility upon the viewer, whether they are prepared to accept it or not. Unless she got a running start, she had to have been quite close to the painting when she fell, which implies carelessness. Carelessness in such close proximity of something as culturally valuable as a Picasso painting implies stupidity. She is stupid.

.GqueB.

Banned
Vennt said:
The puns are going to be punishable soon, mark my words, especially bad ones.
That would be terrible. Take away all the puns from this thread and what do you have? "oh man she must feel terrible" or "man what a fool" etc etc. Puns make these threads bearable. There arent many ways to respond to news articles and the non-pun replies make that very apparent.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Some people seem to want the old, slightly less reasonable Vennt back, be careful what you wish for, and if you don't know who that was, ask someone who does... :p

bjork

MomoPufflet said:
Being in the immediate vicinity of something that valuable imparts a certain degree of responsibility upon the viewer, whether they are prepared to accept it or not. Unless she got a running start, she had to have been quite close to the painting when she fell, which implies carelessness. Carelessness in such close proximity of something as culturally valuable as a Picasso painting implies stupidity. She is stupid.

That's a pretty assholish way to look at it. Maybe her inner ear exploded and she was in perfect health and control of herself .001 seconds prior to this, you don't know.

Wrath2X said:
I still don't think it should be bannable. So if I posted a pun in some thread, be it horrible or comedy gold, would I get banned?

But it doesn't matter what you think, you're not a moderator. Sorry.

.GqueB.

Banned
Vennt said:
Some people seem to want the old, slightly less reasonable Vennt back, be careful what you wish for, and if you don't know who that was, ask someone who does... :p
If I could be serious for a moment…

Im a bit on torn on whether or not the logic for making puns bannable is actually valid. Who are these puns hurting? Sure people are tripping over themselves to win the thread but in the grand scheme of things, would threads be made better without them? Especially considering the fact that despite theyre desire to win said thread, the very people that post the puns are very capable of tearing themselves away from them in order to have relevant discussion shortly after. We seem to be painting this picture of chaos with puns being at the center of it all but this just isn’t the case. Theyre kind of non issue when all is said and done.

That’s just my point of view.

mollipen

Vennt said:
The puns are going to be punishable soon, mark my words, especially bad ones.

I say, ban them, because it'd server GAF right. People around here want everything banned the moment it annoys them, and I've never seen a message board more populated with whiny, thin-skinned members in that regard.

So, just start banning any kind of light-hearted posting left and right, and maybe then at some point people will realize how moronic they've been in calling for things to be banned.

LogicStep

Actually I agree with the pun banning thing. I don't try for puns so I don't care and most puns suck anyways. That will keep the fail puns away and leave the good ones.

Cyan

Banned
Vennt said:
Whoa hey, let's not get crazy.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Not interested in furthering the discussion, it was a friendly warning, take it or leave it. It's more than you've had before previous overused memes led to bannings.

Now excuse me, I've more Juniors to find & cull :p

Tobor

I think the real issue is that there are tons of threads posted daily that serve no purpose other than to generate puns. Seriously, what is there to discuss here? Woman fell on the painting, it's getting repaired. End of story. I know the response to this will be "Just don't open up the thread if it's not interesting", and I won't in the future. Previously, I would open a thread like this for the express purpose of reading the puns. There are clever dudes around here.

Ce la vie.

EDIT: Actually the more I think about it, this is probably a good thing. Threads like this will drop off quickly with no punning, and the real threads will stay on top. Never mind.

Furret

Banned
bjork said:
That's a pretty assholish way to look at it. Maybe her inner ear exploded and she was in perfect health and control of herself .001 seconds prior to this, you don't know.

Considering the odds of someone's inner ear exploding in the vicinity of a priceless work of art, compared to the chances that she wasn't being careful enough, I'd say she can be safely considered stupid until proven sensible.

Xater

Protective casing? I don't think I have ever seen a painting that was kept in a case and I have been to alot of museums. I also think that it's the right way to enjoy a painting.

Foov

Xater said:
Protective casing? I don't think I have ever seen a painting that was kept in a case and I have been to alot of museums. I also think that it's the right way to enjoy a painting.

I'm pretty sure the mona lisa is in a case.

Miguel

Vennt said:

*STAB* *STAB* *STAB* /warhawk

bjork

Furret said:
Considering the odds of someone's inner ear exploding in the vicinity of a priceless work of art, compared to the chances that she wasn't being careful enough, I'd say she can be safely considered stupid until proven sensible.

I still don't see how falling = stupid. People fall down.

Mr. Sam

Foov said:

It is. They also shit themselves if you take a picture of it. That I can understand though.

"Hey look, I gotsa picture of the Mona Lisa with some guy's head in the way."

"Wow, that is awesome! What a fantastic picture of a half-obscured painting!"

Xater

Foov said:

Okay you may be right there and I have not been to the Louvre yet.

I have seen my fair share of other famous paintings and never encountered a casing.

dejay

Banned
Vennt said:
The problem isn't puns as such, the problem is what's called a "pun cascade" where nearly the first 2 pages of a thread are worthless attempts at "winning the thread" that rather than being entertainment just cheapen the OP, thread and even the good jokes for the sake of it, it's getting tiring and like most memes that start out worthwhile, overdone to the point of ridiculousness.

No, a pun in the right place, like punctuation, is a brilliant thing, but that's starting to be weakened by a race to "teh win!" that lots of people are getting sick of.

Tell you what, lets make it fun again, lets allow such pun cascades, where a winner of a thread can indeed be lauded, but all runner-ups get a weeks ban... Might make people hold back a bit and make life interesting ;) :p

Stellar idea. There has always been puns, but lately it seems to have gotten out of control. With a new bunch of impressionable juniors recently on board, the matter will only get worse (see post #3 as an example).

A quality pun is magnificent, 20 other people with lame attempts are irritating. Nothing wrong with the threat of a weeks ban to sharpen the wit.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Miguel said:
*STAB* *STAB* *STAB* /warhawk

It's alllll about the M.A.G. now baby! Go Raven!

Roll on Friday!

evil solrac v3.0 said:
oh shit, vennt is a mod again? feck vennt feck!! ;)
Thats "Admin" actually, but same difference, I never stopped, just the Net access on a tourbus was sketchier than a sketchy thing on national etch-a-sketch day, it's great to be home! :)

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Well at least they're able to repair it. Not a fan of Picasso's less realistic paintings. Now, if this was Van Gogh's Starry Night or Cafe Terrace at Night, I will go on a murderous rampage worthy of 10,000 lashings.

darkwings

Banned
Vennt said:
It's alllll about the M.A.G. now baby! Go Raven!

Roll on Friday!

Thats "Admin" actually, but same difference, I never stopped, just the Net access on a tourbus was sketchier than a sketchy thing on national etch-a-sketch day, it's great to be home! :)

you dont lose any rights for being inactive?

charsace

She was probably fooling around when it happened. The times I have gone to the Met there are always groups of students screwing around.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
charsace said:
She was probably fooling around when it happened. The times I have gone to the Met there are always groups of students screwing around.
I remember pointing and laughing at the penis' during their Greek art exhibit way back in 3rd grade on a school trip, but I always composed myself whenever we were near the open art exhibits. If she was indeed fooling around near the painting, shame on her.

They really ought to be taking high resolution digital images of these paintings in various lights, so that if something like this happens they have a reference to the undamaged painting when restoring it. This isn't a big deal for something like a Picasso, which has been photographed a ton, but if a more obscure work gets damaged they might have to restore it based on a black and white picture the size of a postage stamp in some art history textbook. This would also, incidentally, let them host the images online, so people could have access to the ~90% of paintings that are moldering in some museum basement at any given time.

Branduil

vrc9j5.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
I wouldn't entirely blame the woman, she might have suffered a stroke in the classroom.

Would something like this constitute a poor/bannable pun, Vennt?

Trurl

Banned
Vennt said:
Do it!

It should be easy enough to distinguish between pun-age puns, and a worthwhile post that happens to make use of a pun.

Ugly painting becomes an ugly ass painting, more info at 11' news.

Anyway, jesus christ that woman needs to pay. Something, i don't care. And i didn't know they could repair it so easily.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
Nice manipulation of the scenario to argue your point. The lamest thing a person can do in an argument. Do you need to be right that bad on an internet forum?

You have no way of knowing if she was horsing around, got tripped by someone walking by, lost balance because her knee gave out, etc.

Thus, the museum is stupid for not having protecting casing since any scenario can happen at any given time.

The woman cannot be confirmed or denied as stupid with the little information in the article. It's very simple logic

You're a moron. You're wrong. You got called out on your knee jerk assumption.

The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom