• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman falls into, rips Picasso painting (Whoops!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Maybe this will teach the Metropolitan Museum of Art to ensure that every one of their cultural treasures is protected against idiocy, malice and accident before they allow the general public to bumble around near them.

Ironborn said:
so did she shed a tear over what she had done?
i'm not good at this
Yeah, I see that it tripped you up. No one will rip into you, though.

e: Vennt, please keep taking your lithium; I don't want mean Vennt back. I'm but a lowly imbecile who knows no better. Take pity on me.

Barrett2

Holy tap-dancing Christ!!! UPDATE!

The tear has reduced the painting's value by $65 million dollars

On Friday, a woman at the Metropolitan Museum of Art fell into Picasso’s “The Actor,” leaving a six-inch gash along its lower-right hand corner. Oops! Now, an art appraiser tells the New York Post that the tear has likely reduced the one-time $130 million painting’s value in half. "When an artwork comes up in auction, that's the first thing people want to know—were there any repaints or restorations,” the appraiser said. Picasso painted “The Actor” in 1904-1905, when he was only 23.

sk3

Banned
I just can't believe they had a painting worth at least tens of millions of dollars out in the open for fucking art students to have access to. Whoever owns it is an idiot for letting that happen (Does the museum own it or are they just showing it?).

Vennt said:
The puns are going to be punishable soon, mark my words, especially bad ones.

I like this distinction!

And, on-topic, how often does something like this happen? This is the first time I've heard of it, which makes me want to believe it's very rare... but, then again, there are a lot of stupid and/or clumsy people in the world.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
lawblob said:

As ugly as this particular one is the price should be cut in half again. Something of that value shouldn't be vulnerable to simple accidents in the first place.

At least someone didn't fall on the Sistine Chapel.

xelios said:
As ugly as this particular one is the price should be cut in half again. Something of that value shouldn't be vulnerable to simple accidents in the first place.

At least someone didn't fall on the Sistine Chapel.
The Sistine Chapel got much worse, actually. When they restored it they stripped a lot of it all the way to the original fresco, thereby removing subsequent refinements made by Michelangelo himself. A torn canvas can be restored, but you can't properly recreate the actual brushstrokes from the hand of an artist.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
GrotesqueBeauty said:
The Sistine Chapel got much worse, actually. When they restored it they stripped a lot of it all the way to the original fresco, thereby removing subsequent refinements made by Michelangelo himself. A torn canvas can be restored, but you can't properly recreate the actual brushstrokes from the hand of an artist.

I was being facetious, but yeah the restorations are unfortunate, though at some point necessary I suppose since you can't protect it like a canvas painting.

It's still pretty magnificent to behold however.

EYEL1NER

Soka said:
And, on-topic, how often does something like this happen? This is the first time I've heard of it, which makes me want to believe it's very rare... but, then again, there are a lot of stupid and/or clumsy people in the world.
As quick as they were all like "Oh, no. The painting will be ready in time for the Picasso Exhibition. We can fix this," it makes me wonder if this kind of thing happens more than we are led to believe.

"Nah, man. We can fix this, easy. We just fixed a couple Whistlers last week."

wRATH2x

Banned
bjork said:
But it doesn't matter what you think, you're not a moderator. Sorry.
bjork what happened to you? Your ass used to be beautiful!

Just kidding, I still love you you awesome fuck. :)

Bluth

sk3 said:
I just can't believe they had a painting worth at least tens of millions of dollars out in the open for fucking art students to have access to. Whoever owns it is an idiot for letting that happen (Does the museum own it or are they just showing it?).

Have you ever even been to the Met? Many of their pieces are out in the open.

Oli

lawblob said:

How do they calculate that anyway? It's likely to remain in the same museum until it's dust right?

I bet that lady feels pretty good knowing that she took a 65 million dollar spill.

Oli said:
How do they calculate that anyway? It's likely to remain in the same museum until it's dust right?
they calculate the value using their anus.
in other words, some dealer/curator pulled that number out of their ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom