• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold over 430k on Steam

Conduit

Banned
Rise%2Bof%2Bthe%2BTomb%2BRaider%2BPC%2Bsales%2Bfigures.jp

Not bad.

bigkrev

Isn't that better than it sold all of last year on Xbox One?

I really hope they got a LOT of money from Microsoft, because they lost out on over a million sales last year between PC and PS4

Game is great- would have been my GOTY had I played it last year. It deserves better

Lime

The unfortunately very low quality of the writing in this game doesn't deserve this amount of sales.

Pretty graphics though. It's a nice tech demo I guess?

_machine

Would say it's really good actually, somewhat better than a few other AAA titles of late I can think of. Should also hopefully help make the point that launch window availability really isn't everything; I've seen a couple of analysts point out it could have an effect of 10-30% less sales on the opening month (though I simply can't remember what the parameters were, how long after the original title etc.).

I really hope they got a LOT of money from Microsoft, because they lost out on over a million sales last year between PC and PS4

Game is great- would have been my GOTY had I played it last year. It deserves better

no, not according to MS at least:
https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/684140018797953025?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It is sell-through and well over 1M units, big December!

CHC

Jesus that's a lot more than I thought. I think missing that holiday season really worked to their benefit though, I know I personally bought it with some post-Christmas cash so anecdotally, at least, it worked out for them.

Overall I think the game is mediocre and not really an improvement on its predecessor, but it's a looker for sure, and it's still cool that Tomb Raider is alive and well 20 years after its introduction. Still a decent title for a quick diversion.

Hard

Banned
Not sure how I should feel about this.

Should I be happy more people get to play a great game courtesy of Crystal Dynamics? Or upset because I despise Square with their exclusivity bullshit?

UrbanRats

The unfortunately very low quality of the writing in this game doesn't deserve this amount of sales.

By that metric very few games would deserve to sell anything.

I haven't bought it myself though, waiting for a massive sale.

Durante

I expected this to bomb really hard given the release date and lack of fanfare. It did a lot better than I expected.

(Also, it's not "over 430k", it's "roughly 420k". Not that it changes the picture)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Story and graphics must be all that matter to you but some of us care more about gameplay.

Yes because gameplay in a game isn't important at all.
Also ROTTR's writing is not any worse than your typical non-good video game writing, I've no idea why everyone focuses so much on that when it has about the same level of quality you'd expect from a video game

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Considering Square Enix's expectations for the reboot, their executives are probably mailing out Crystal Dynamics' closure papers right now.

I'm only half kidding.

Bad thing they have cutscenes and tons of crappy dialogue being crammed down my throat

I mostly play the game with no sound and skip all cut scenes... it's that bad.

The gameplay is... so-so. It's not a game that's so good that I can't wait to play again. And it's probably one I'll never finish. I'm actually quite surprised it was reviewed so highly.

That said, I am happy the PC version is selling well because I want there to be more incentive to port games to PC.

Story, graphics, gameplay were all great and huge steps up from the last game. Really surprising game on all fronts.

I mostly play the game with no sound and skip all cut scenes... it's that bad.

The gameplay is... so-so. It's not a game that's so good that I can't wait to play again. And it's probably one I'll never finish. I'm actually quite surprised it was reviewed so highly.

That said, I am happy the PC version is selling well because I want there to be more incentive to port games to PC.

I have no intention of ever finishing it either.

MiguelItUp

Phenomenal game, deserves every bit of credit it receives, and more. Much like the previous game the gameplay feels so good!

Blobbers

Eh, the writing in Rise isn't absolute shit or anything. This must be one of those cases where people are coming in from games with amazing writing like The Witcher 3, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and the difference in writing quality becomes too jarring.

The bar has been raised and Crystal Dynamics needs to catch up, no doubt about that.

Story, graphics, gameplay were all great and huge steps up from the last game. Really surprising game on all fronts.

I'm with you on story and graphics, but gameplay, ehhhh. The shooting felt like a step back, at least on the One version, and the traversal felt about the same.

tuxfool

Banned
Also ROTTR's writing is not any worse than your typical non-good video game writing, I've no idea why everyone focuses so much on that when it has about the same level of quality you'd expect from a video game

The reason is because the NuRaider uses story as one of its pillars versus OldRaider. CD also made a big deal about the story in TR2013 and newer more emotionally resonating Lara.

Then people look at something like Uncharted and expect better writing from an Uncharted clone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

If you look just at North American retail sales, then yes, but when add in digital and international sales, it's a lot less likely.

Robot Pants

Yea the Xbox One exclusive was a very strange deal. I hope they got A LOT too. I can't wait for the PS4 version. I'm day 1

Top Bottom