• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold over 430k on Steam

UrbanRats

Trust me, it's that bad as well as in relation to the emphasis and exposure they put into the "drama"

I mean the first one was atrocious in that sense, so it's not like i don't believe you.
At the moment the talk about input lag is what's scaring me the most.

Eh, the writing in Rise isn't absolute shit or anything. This must be one of those cases where people are coming in from games with amazing writing like The Witcher 3, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and the difference in writing quality becomes too jarring.

The bar has been raised and Crystal Dynamics needs to catch up, no doubt about that.

That's kind of my take. I honestly think it's the best thing that Rihanna Pratchett has written (which is faint praise indeed). I liked the different timelines that are established on the collectibles that you find. I think the villains are actually somewhat interesting. And the game touches lightly on some issues of religious faith that I don't think most games would go near.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Pretty decent for coming out after Christmas, being out for a couple weeks, and (outside of some vouchers on off-site promotions), having no major discounts. Developers/Publishers also get more money per copy sold of a PC digital game; no store fees and Valve's split is pretty reasonable, plus no cost of physical copies for most units sold, so it comes to a pretty decent penny, and one of the advantages of PC releases is there is more consistent sales down the line than just at release, games on PC are fare more likely to still be selling small bundle of copies five years down the line than console releases (and there's not really a used game market and all).

jackdoe

If you add launch month numbers for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC, and the eventual PS4 release, it's almost guaranteed to be much lower than the first month results for the original reboot. Over time, and after numerous sales, sales figures should match that of the reboot but I'm not sure Square Enix were looking to do worse than the reboot in launch numbers.

Farsi

Also ROTTR's writing is not any worse than your typical non-good video game writing, I've no idea why everyone focuses so much on that when it has about the same level of quality you'd expect from a video game

It's the only glaring issue about the game really. It was on Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider movie level of corniness.

GRaider81

Good its doing well because id like to see another stab at it but the game was massively overrated by some quarters imo.

I did enjoy it on PC, it looked gorgeous and with some good moments (I love bows) but the writing/story was garbage and gameplay a bit boring.

Need to get away from the RPG elements and pointless filler (translation stuff anyone?)

Going in right direction though

I really hope they got a LOT of money from Microsoft, because they lost out on over a million sales last year between PC and PS4

I hope they did not, I hope they lost their asses. Third party games that were once multiplatform going exclusive pisses me off. I'm not going to buy a console for some third party franchise just because a company paid for the game to not be on other consoles. It makes me dislike the company that paid for the exclusive and it makes me root for people not to buy it so the devs think twice about restricting their games to one console. This practice sucks and its anti consumer.

jackdoe

It's the only glaring issue about the game really. It was on Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider movie level of corniness.
It was more akin to Spectre level of stupid. Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider movies know they're corny and they relish in it. This game, like Spectre, has a corny plot, but takes it so seriously that it hurts the narrative.

Noobcraft

I wonder if it sold reasonably on the Windows Store with that Ukraine region pricing. It's like $10 for the full game on there right?

eso76

The unfortunately very low quality of the writing in this game doesn't deserve this amount of sales.

Pretty graphics though. It's a nice tech demo I guess?

Yes, because games are 1 part writing and 1 part graphics.

dugdug

Banned
I honestly can't tell if this is a good number, only because it's well known that Square were disappointed that the reboot sold 3.4 million in one month. So, we're looking at less than 3.4 in 3 months.

I mean, if they're (Square) using the same metric, that's pretty bad, no?

I doubt these things will actually happen, it's going to be another AC Unity Tesellation deal.
This is nixxes you're talking about, they're not about to tarnish their reputation like that. And given the recent leak of new features coming to Rise, I really doubt they're done with it.
I honestly can't tell if this is a good number, only because it's well known that Square were disappointed that the reboot sold 3.4 million in one month. So, we're looking at less than 3.4 in 3 months.

There's no way they could've had the same expectations given the gulf in player bases between the last gen machines when tr2013 hit and the amount of xb1s that were out there for the launch of Rise

Also, you have to consider that a lot of the R&D for Rise was paid off during the development of tr2013. This game shouldn't have cost as much to make as the last one.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

That metric suggests they had unrealistic expectations and don't know how to budget their games, for better or worse. But I have to imagine they had to know a game releasing as an Xbox One exclusive originally wasn't going to sell as well in its first month.

NeoRaider

I hope they did not, I hope they lost their asses. Third party games that were once multiplatform going exclusive pisses me off. I'm not going to buy a console for some third party franchise just because a company paid for the game to not be on other consoles. It makes me dislike the company that paid for the exclusive and it makes me root for people not to buy it so the devs think twice about restricting their games to one console. This practice sucks and its anti consumer.

Both MS and Sony, even Nintendo are doing it. With some multi-platform franchises becoming timed exclusives or even worse, exclusives.

Deals like this are happening all the time.

skyfinch

Whats your opinion on SF5?

Except you're comparing 3.4 over three platforms, to a another number over two. Plus whatever hand Microsoft had in development & marketing. Unless you work at Square, you don't have the info to determine if this failed internally.

SFenton

Windows 10 store Is crying.

I'm curious as to how it did there. As more "hardcore" gamers it probably isn't worth it for us to buy there, but there is a *ton* of visibility for it on the Windows Store since it's default installed on all Win10 devices.

I still don't think it did as well as Steam but I bet it didn't just flop over and die, either.

I think the last couple of years have been a wake up call for a lot of publishers, SE included. Toward the end of last generation there was a bit of a gold rush with where the perceived ceiling on blockbuster releases became so elevated that everyone thought they could be the next CoD, Assassins Creed, Skyrim, etc and 10 million sales started to feel like something easy to achieve.

My gut feeling is that publishers are better aware that not everything can hit that but they need to reign things in and budget accordingly.

GRaider81

Personally i still think it sucks but there is a difference between paying to get a game made and actually paying for a game NOT to be on another platform when it had previously been announced.

As long as these "exclusives" keep coming to PC though Im happy

The unfortunately very low quality of the writing in this game doesn't deserve this amount of sales.

The developers don't deserve money because the writing wasn't up to your standards? Also fuck the gameplay right?

Jesus.

NeoRaider

Personally i still think it sucks but there is a difference between paying to get a game made and actually paying for a game NOT to be on another platform when it had previously been announced.

As long as these "exclusives" keep coming to PC though Im happy

MS supported and paid ROTTR to be made.

How is this even a real post

Jesus Christ

What kind of fucked up view is "This doesn't deserve success because I don't like a small part of it"

SF5 looks awesome. It really sucks to street fighter Xbox fans that they can't play it. I hope it sells poorly for this reason and Capcom makes the next one multiplatform. I guess PC release helps but it's still really shitty that Sony paid to exclude Xbox owners.

george_us

Same. I've played it for about three hours so far. It looks nice but I feel it's way too similar to the last game.
It's almost exactly the same game which is why I was baffled by people saying it was some massive improvement over the previous game. It's TR2013 with terrible side objectives thrown in.

Lister

Banned
I'm waiting to pick it up on the first Steam sale, as is pretty much everyone else I know. I think it'll get anice boost up once it hits 30+% off.

hawk2025

Sales seem fairly decent on PC, nice to see. We'll never know the actual, proper counterfactual of how much it would have sold with a multiplatform holidays release.

I think the 2013 reboot was better than this. They really ubisoftified the formula

That's roughly where I landed. The first impressions were extremely positive, but slowly the seams started to show on the piles upon piles of ill-thought-out, padded mechanics like languages, shops, obelisks, quests, etc. Coupled with the inferior combat, I'd argue today (with the benefit of hindsight and "cooldown"!) that RotTR was a marked decrease in quality from TR2013.

dreamfall

I really enjoyed it on XBO and I'm replaying it on PC, and having mindless fun,

Pratchett's writing is horrible. The reboot was bad, this is also terrible. The gunplay feels satisfying in small doses but there's way too much of it. The hubs are gorgeous and collectible hunting in these past two titles feels good for me. It's filler/bloat, but I kind of love just exploring every nook and cranny of the game created.

The selection of outfits, the better tombs, the swan dive - they're moving in a great direction, I'd still like to see more puzzle platforming puzzles and less of the gritty/survival themes. I want her to get a little older, and just enjoy looking for artifacts without having to execute an entire army.

I think the bigger map / open hubs really allow for some peaceful jumping around, I almost wonder if a level select in many locations would work for the next title.

NeoRaider

I thought it was already being made and had been announced for all platforms. My bad

Yeah it was already being made but apperantly CD needed bigger budget to achieve what they wanted. And MS gave them money for the exclusivity.

Also SF5 was in development before it was announced as PS4 exclusive afaik.

Wut ?

You got a source ?

No i don't but CD staff said few times that MS helped them achieve what they wanted to with this game, and that they wouldn't be able without MS support. It's pretty clear what they were talking about.

I don't want yours or neo's "personal feelings" or "opinions"

I want a source from either MS or SE who confirms what the poster is claiming.
I'm pretty sure the last person to suggest this got banned by a mod cuz they didn't present any evidence. Have some sources or don't assume what you personally feel.
chill?

The best example is this past holiday season's Rise of the Tomb Raider, the follow-up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot from developer Crystal Dynamics and publisher Square-Enix. Microsoft paid a hefty sum to make sure that the latest installment in this franchise would only appear on Xbox consoles. (The game is releasing on Windows next month, and will appear on PlayStation consoles later this year.)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...he_dubious_benefit_of_a_console_exclusive.php

"The timed exclusive probably cost only $20 million or so," said Wedbush Securities' analyst, "but you probably saw [Rise of the Tomb Raider] advertising throughout the holidays. My guess is that Microsoft spent another $20 million advertising the game."

http://www.gamepur.com/news/21816-m...se-tomb-raider-timed-exclusivity-michael.html

Top Bottom