• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold over 430k on Steam

I p!ayed TR2013, enjoyed it, but can tell you nothing about the story. I disagree that it's an important element.

And I don't even mind people criticizing the writing if they feel its bad, but saying the game should fail because of that? That's just dumb

Just because the story is awful doesn't invalidate the quality or appeal of the gameplay, performance or other aspects of the game overall.

Game is still fun, which is all a game really needs to get right.

So did XCOM not 'sell' 500k because it was heavily discounted on Key resellers?

Carefully re-read my post and you will find your answer. If you have challenges with reading comprehension (or if english is not your mother tongue) PM me and I'll be happy to discuss this with you in private.

Blobbers

What's with the hostility? It's not unfair of us to expect a competent story given how much hype Crystal Dynamics throw around the performances of their voice actors and their writer, Rhianna Pratchett. Most videogame stories are pretty average, but we tolerate them because they're a videogame, this went BELOW that standard.
They say this while having Camilla Luddington as their lead voice actor? Whew.

This is why we all have opinions though.

I wouldn't put it above Uncharted 2, but I'd rather play RotTR through 5 times before having to play through TLoU once.
Maybe you should play through TLoU once.

Lingitiz

Just because the story is awful doesn't invalidate the quality or appeal of the gameplay, performance or other aspects of the game overall.

Game is still fun, which is all a game really needs to get right.

I didn't think it was aggressively bad. It was just there for the most part and rarely ever got in the way of the actual gameplay. Cutscenes weren't even that frequent.

On a pure mechanical level I still think this game is better than of the UC games, even if the pacing is not up to that level.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Hope it continues to keep selling. Played and finished it on Xbox One when it came out and was the reason I bought an Xbox One instead of waiting. Easily worth the purchase. 9.2/10 in my opinion and if not for The Witcher III, would have been my game of the year. Easily better than the 2013 reboot in every way. Fully enjoyed the game and will be playing it again at year's end when the PS4 "complete edition" comes out.

Square-Enix made out like bandits if this is the case. I bought the game for PC and I quite enjoyed it but let's not kid ourselves. It was competent at best, a disappointing follow-up at worst.

Oh joy, a not so subtle implication that anyone who genuinely enjoyed the game is delusional.

Garlador

MS supported and paid ROTTR to be made.
I repeat, i never said that game wouldn't be made without MS money. Try reading that again. Slow and steady.

You know he meant a game being paid to EXIST, not just paid to be made. We all know Rise of the Tomb Raider was going to happen regardless of Microsoft's involvement. This isn't a Bayonetta 2 situation at all.

Saying Microsoft supported and paid for it is as convincing as saying Sony supported and paid for Diablo III on PS4, which is technically true but the game certainly wasn't going to vanish into the ether without their help. The poster criticized the deal, said it screwed over customers, and the poster is absolutely right. Microsoft's motives were not to give Xbox owners (like me) something new to play - we were getting it regardless; they were very open that they did it just to keep it out of the competition's hands and compete with Uncharted since they didn't want to hassle with making their own Uncharted-competitor.

As for the PC numbers... I don't know. I think they're solid, but I'm so out of PC sales in relation to everything else that I don't know anymore. How well did Tomb Raider's last PC version do on sales? Is this stacking up comparatively?

I have to resist some kind of lol response followed by a huge waaaaat?

But alas waaaaaat?

Personal preference. Uncharted story and characters are top notch, no question there. Moment to moment gameplay however I prefer TR. Nathan drake controls make him feel he operates with less gravity, guns don't have any weight to them and I just enjoy playing TR more.

I know there is a special place reserved in hell for me. I am ready.

Warxard

Banned
Carefully re-read my post and you will find your answer. If you have challenges with reading comprehension (or if english is not your mother tongue) PM me and I'll be happy to discuss this with you in private.

you made the statement that the TR sales numbers are inflated because of the games being given away for free (which, admittedly is plausible.). I read your post, don't patronize me.

It's also a part of the NVIDIA free bundle
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle (influx of digital copies from people upgrading their graphics cards during christmas/boxing day)

Many people got it highly discounted or for free

Those numbers are inflated and the thread title is misleading because it did not "sell" 430k copies.

Regardless, still an extremely popular title

Nvidia still pays for the copies. So yes they were still sold.

Elandyll

Banned
... it is as convincing as saying Sony supported and paid for Diablo III on PS4, which is technically true...
Wha?

Afaik there wad only a minor marketing deal which meant PS3 and then PS4 versions announced first, and on a PS stage, but all the versions (including XB1) released simultaneously and pretty much with parity.

This being said, yes, obviously the TR situation is very different from a Bayonetta 2, Dead Rising 3 or SFV situation.
Heck, someone from CD even confirmed that the game would exist without MS.

The interviewer went on to ask Gallagher if he thought that Crystal Dynamics' partnership with Microsoft was so deep that Rise of the Tomb Raider could not exist without it. Gallagher said he doesn't think that's the case.

"I wouldn't say that," he said. "If you look at Tomb Raider, it's been around for 20 years, so I do think that Tomb Raider would still be around [without Microsoft]."

Gallagher explained that partnering up with Microsoft helps boost the profile of the Tomb Raider franchise to new heights.

"What we look at is how do we bring the best version of Tomb Raider to market? How do we actually make it as prominent as it can be? And there's no doubt that having a first-party in Xbox, alongside, saying, 'We want to help you make this great, we want to push this and get behind it, and love it in the same way as you guys do,' there's only benefits that can come from that," he said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-dev-talks-xbox-exclusivity/1100-6425471/

It was all supposed to be about marketing, promotion and exposure.

We all know how that turned out...

Genio88

Loved it on Xbox One, i'll eventually pick it up on Steam too, but for now I can't even catch up with the current games I've not played, so It ain't time to replay it again

On the Windows Marketplace for those exploiting regional pricing, but not for Steam. Nice try.
Nice try lol.. What in the hell are you getting so antsy for, the game didn't sell well either way.
It was $10 on the Ukrainian Windows 10 store, but those units sold through the Windows 10 Store are NOT counted with Steam-activated units as that version isn't a Steamworks title.
Not on Steam.
It was being sold for around 12$ on Ukrainian Windows Store i think.
Ahhh, I heard something about it by a youtuber but was unclear of the specifics. I was mostly done for the first one and put it in on the PS4 two days only to see I was 6% into the game. No idea what happened to my save file. :'( Not sure if I have the energy to start over again.

Nathan drake controls make him feel he operates with less gravity

That's rich, considering Lara in RotTR has pretty much zero acceleration time so you can easily see her feet "sliding" across the ground when you start moving. You know, so it looks like she's actually floating. I haven't played it yet, but it has been present in every demo I've seen prior to the XB1 release.

That's rich, considering Lara in RotTR has pretty much zero acceleration time so you can easily see her feet "sliding" across the ground when you start moving. You know, so it looks like she's actually floating. I haven't played it yet, but it has been present in every demo I've seen prior to the XB1 release.
and because of that she feels about a thousand times more responsive than Nathan. I've been hopping between UC2 and ROTTR and Nate feels like Geralt in comparison.

sflufan

Banned
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle (influx of digital copies from people upgrading their graphics cards during christmas/boxing day)

Those numbers are inflated and the thread title is misleading because it did not "sell" 430k copies.

Those keys were "sold" by the publisher to Nvidia, so the title isn't totally inaccurate.

I didn't compare Uncharted to any TR game with regards to the feeling of the characters and if I had, it would have been with TR from 2013. Hardly "rich" considering that the example you state isn't one I used.

Nathan Drake has loose controls. I prefer tighter controls such as MGSV or DMC4. Again it's personal preference, you needn't agree.

Mivey

Those keys were "sold" by the publisher to Nvidia, so the title isn't totally inaccurate.
BS. Nvidia is sending their ninjas into Valve HQ to steal fresh key from Gabens personal treasure vault which is guarded by a sentient Mad-Hatter-styled killbot.

The writing was pretty shit. It's greatest achievement is that it made sense, kind of made sense, maybe? Characters are extremely dull and never say anything worth half a fuck. It's kind of amazing that not even one of them was accidentally written with a personality. The antagonist is a religious zealot, tons of media to take cues from. Nope. No memorable lines to speak of. They even brought back, "I'm coming for you. You bastards!" because that was pretty much the only thing that stuck from the first game.

The game is alright despite the growing ubisoft-itis. To elaborate; read documents to learn languages to read monuments to unlock more shit on your map including coins so you can buy shit from some dude because there aren't already 4 of every weapon type with their own unlock tree which you absolutely will not finish by the end of the game by which point there's nothing to shoot with your ultimate badass gun. Holy fuck! Not to mention those asscheeks sidequests which basically task you to do the shit the game considers tasks while you're out in the world anyway like cutting down rabbits (there are 8 of those apparently) and shooting targets with your bow which could be interesting if your bow had drop off or was affected by wind. It doesn't. Also the tombs now give you uber skills that you may or may not want like making trees fucking glow! Some of them pretty much break the stuff that's supposed to make the hard mode hard.

All these unlocks and unlocks to unlock the other thing to unlock the thing so you can do the thing to unlock the other thing. Fucking noooooooooooooo

inherendo

Well, PC version in 2 weeks sold more than Xbone and X360 version at retail combined in 2 NPD months ( around 410k )

Well, maybe is, maybe isn't. :D Is this letter better "~"?
If you want to account for margin, just do the least it did. Also is a nice round number at 400k

Lingitiz

I have to resist some kind of lol response followed by a huge waaaaat?

But alas waaaaaat?

That isn't really that weird of a comment. The way control of Lara feels in RotR is a lot more responsive than in the UC games. I like the slight control you get over her jump in midair. I also think the platforming is more varied with the different traversal items and how they chain together. The shooting also has much more feedback with the way enemies respond to hits, even if it is way too easy.

Not really a knock on UC as there have already been two of these new TR games since the last mainline game. This doesn't mean I think RotR is necessarily better than UC2 (although probably than 1 and 3). Where Uncharted succeeds greatly is pacing, the variety of setpieces and how that ties into gunplay, (i.e. firefights on a moving train, shooting will hanging off a plane, etc,) storytelling, and character development, but I think the gunplay and platforming were somewhat weak when it came out and going back has not been flattering at all. I just think on a mechanical level those three games have not aged that gracefully and I prefer how RotR iterated on the core.

It's a really good port so it's nice they are rewarded with good sales. I think the game is an improvement over the reboot but not as much as people had hyped it up to be, it's still chasing the Uncharted formula and throwing in tons of Ubisoft collectable/upgrades stuff on the side.

It's been interesting watching the difference in reception to game from the release OT and the new PC version one. Now there is more mixed opinions all around rather than the 'goty all years' talk that reigned when it released with the precious exclusivity buff.

Nvidia still pays for the copies. So yes they were still sold.

Do you think NVIDIA is paying $60-$70 a pop for each key? There has to be some partnership / licensing somewhere. Again, this is why I'm saying those numbers are inflated and give info and context where the OP did not.

Maybe some don't care if a game sold 30 million copies at $1 or 430,000 copies at $70 or that a huge portion of the "sales" are from bundles or free promotions. But I like to know more about what's behind the numbers rather than saying "not bad". Instead we got an unsourced pic (which is from steamspy) meanwhile the game is probably in the Top 10 sales or popularity for Steam.

Do you think NVIDIA is paying $60-$70 a pop for each key? There has to be some partnership / licensing somewhere. Again, this is why I'm saying those numbers are inflated and give info and context where the OP did not. Instead in the original post we got an unsourced pic meanwhile the game is probably in the Top 10 sales or popularity for steam.

Maybe some don't care if a game sold 30 million copies at $1 or 430,000 copies at $70 or that a huge portion of the "sales" are from bundles or free promotions. But I like to know more about what's behind the numbers rather than saying "not bad".

That's moving goal posts. When Take 2 announced they've sold 50 million copies of GTAV or whatever are they required to state "oh yeah some of those were at sale prices"?

The sales numbers are not inflated. It would only be inflated if the OP said RoTR PC has generated $25.8 million in revenue from the PC version ($60x430k).

The sales numbers are not inflated. It would only be inflated if the OP said RoTR PC has generated $25.8 million in revenue from the PC version ($60x430k).

What? It is inflation if people got free copies with their new video cards.

And why are you bringing up the example of Take 2 announcing sales? Nowhere is the creator of ROTR releasing sales info in the OP. The data is from a third party source, steamspy.

Rising_Hei

That's moving goal posts. When Take 2 announced they've sold 50 million copies of GTAV or whatever are they required to state "oh yeah some of those were at sale prices"?

GTA V has never devaluated that much... and it's a much older game lol
OT : Uncharted still outclases TR because it doesn't rely on QTEs

No it's not inflated. Every game activation registered on Steamspy except for press codes were paid for. So the game did indeed "sell" ~420,000 copies.

Yikes, now you're arguing semantics when I'm making the point of the validity of taking those numbers into context. You just repeated your previous post.
By that logic I guess Solitaire is the GOAT! But who cares about context or validity of the information that it's been installed with almost every operating system because someone paid for it at some point right?

I'm trying to bring to light some of the story behind the data. Instead it's "haha no those games were paid by someone therefore its a sale, na na na nah nah nah nah!"

Corpekata

Banned
Yikes, now you're arguing semantics when I'm making the point of the validity of taking those numbers into context. You just repeated your previous post.
By that logic I guess Solitaire is the GOAT! But who cares about context or validity of the information that it's been installed with almost every operating system because someone paid for it at some point right?

I'm trying to bring to light some of the story behind the data. Instead it's "haha no those games were paid by someone therefore its a sale, na na na nah nah nah nah!"

How many copies do you think are from Nvidia promos?

No I just think you're completely wrong that the thread title was misleading or that it didn't sell that many units.

What? It is inflation if people got free copies with their new video cards.

It really depends on how much nVidia is actually paying for each RotTR code. Which we'll probably never know.

This is kind of like if you were to measure PSN sales for a game that was offered for free on PS+ recently. Are those PS+ copies causing "inflation"? Or did people "pay" for them via their PS+ subs?

KR_remix

The deal wasn't available during christmas/boxing day sales, read the link you posted. You had to go through customer support from your card vendor and get lucky to get a code for a card bought before the January date.

Things you pay money for aren't free, that is literally the opposite of free. It is part of a bundle deal, and Nvidia no doubt is paying for these codes SE isn't just gonna give them away for free.

No clue, anyone who bought a gtx 960 or higher is eligible (regardless of when they purchased). Looking at steam hardware survey gtx 960 and 970 are in the top 3 video cards for those surveyed.

Did you read the link you posted? The promo doesn't include the 960. Feel free to continue being needlessly condescending to people in this thread though.

I agree with you. Uncharted is fun to a degree but If I had to choose what to play based on the gameplay, TR wins by a mile.

The shooting just feels completely subpar compared to TLOU or Uncharted. The climbing mechanics, and the hand to hand combat fares a lot better though.

Considering both games is like 80% shooting, I would pick UC on that front every time.

I just bought Rise, and while not a genre changing game, it's consistent at being just a good game so I would say it deserves it's number on steam

The shooting just feels completely subpar compared to TLOU or Uncharted.
Come on now. The combat in ROTTR is very comparable to TLoU, and leagues better than last gen's Uncharteds.

Uncharted (specifically 2) is better than TR, but it has nothing to do with the combat. The combat is the worst part of any Uncharted game.

The deal wasn't available during christmas/boxing day sales, read the link you posted. You had to go through customer support from your card vendor and get lucky to get a code for a card bought before the January date.

Things you pay money for aren't free, that is literally the opposite of free. It is part of a bundle deal, and Nvidia no doubt is paying for these codes SE isn't just gonna give them away for free.

Did you read the link you posted? The promo doesn't include the 960. Feel free to continue being needlessly condescending to people in this thread though.

People can still take advantage of the deals right now regardless, the point I was trying to make is that black friday/christmas/boxing day is a very popular time for pc upgrades. Then on Jan 07 2016 this free bundle went active and everyone who bought a gtx card is eligible. In many cases vendors are aware of this in advanced and e-mail you the code when the promotion goes live (this happened to me during FarCry 4). Secondly, you do not have to go through your vendor to get the game for free, you just need to own a gtx 970 or above (you don't even need a receipt or proof of purchase). You don't even need to have purchased the 970 within a certain date. The gtx 960 and 970 are the most popular cards on steam atm (at least according to those surveyed).

And, crap I been reading through these all these bundles today, didn't remember that its 970 or above (many aren't). My bad!

Lastly regarding how much NVIDIA is paying... you are making an argument they are not free. You are missing the point, I feel those numbers are inflated and trying to bring some possible info/context into the story behind the data. Who knows, maybe its only responsible for 10,000 copies of that figure? Maybe the game did sell a bazillion copies for $70 a pop. Some people here clearly do not give a fuck about details behind those figures cause a sale is a sale emirightorwut! Okay cool! Solitaire is GOAT!

Top Bottom