• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold over 430k on Steam

jackdoe

Of course it was already being made, but I doubt it would have come in 2015 as a multiplatform. It would have probably taken 1+ years more.
Nixxes downported to the Xbox 360 as part of the MS agreement. A flat out miracle. You can't seriously be saying that they wouldn't be able to handle much more straightforward PC and PS4 ports in the same time frame as the 360 port.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nixxes downported to the Xbox 360 as part of the MS agreement. A flat out miracle. You can't seriously be saying that they wouldn't be able to handle much more straightforward PC and PS4 ports in the same time frame as the 360 port.
How long did Nixxes work on it?

On the other hand Xcom2 is a more hardcore-ish game, it aims to a more dedicated audience, which may have more inclination in buying their games instead of pirating. Tomb Raider fits a bit more the profile of games that are highly pirated: AAA games which are a bit more casual and with great graphics.

In a way yes but that would be my argument in reverse. I mean a big mainstream game like TR should have a much bigger audience than a niche game like Xcom2 otherwise we would have to accept that the majority of PC gamers are hardcore gamers which we know it's not the case.
Also big mainstream games have proved to sell well on PC which confirms the fact that there is an audience who is willing to pay for them. Returning to my point, the sales of the last 2 big games which have Denuvo (TR and JC3) do not tell anything about the "effectiveness" of Denuvo. Games which have been pirated since day1 have sold more and continue to do so.

The unfortunately very low quality of the writing in this game doesn't deserve this amount of sales.

I keep seeing this opinion and I continue to not understand it.

Yes, the writing in this game is not revelatory nor groundbreaking. If RotTR was a book, it would not be a very good one.

But heck, for a video game, it's certainly above average, and even compared to many Blockbuster action films it doesn't fare so badly. I'm all for holding video games to a higher standard than they currently are, but I don't understand why this series in particular gets so much hate for its writing.

And this is coming from someone who has a number of major issues with RotTR.

Chobel

That's not true at all.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif_1.gif

Chobel

Yes, could they handle not one but three ports in the same timeframe?

Three ports? They only need 2, PC and PS4. And yes they can, outsource the work to other studios if not possible.

I don't know why you're sarcastic here, money can speed a game development's schedule, you can hire more people and divide the work.

Except CD worked solely on XBO, Nixxes (which was already contracted) is the one handling the other ports.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The unfortunately very low quality of the writing in this game doesn't deserve this amount of sales.

Pretty graphics though. It's a nice tech demo I guess?

Someone's bitter, lol.

Story was not great by any stretch of the imagination (especially the constant over-the-top 'Lara's so gonna die-wait no she's not' elements), and personally, I liked the first one way better, but pray tell, did the writing kill your puppy?

Harlequin

Also ROTTR's writing is not any worse than your typical non-good video game writing, I've no idea why everyone focuses so much on that when it has about the same level of quality you'd expect from a video game

Because the game puts so much focus on its story. A bad story is excusable in a game in which the story doesn't intrude too much on the gameplay and there aren't too many cutscenes/QTEs/etc. disrupting the game flow but in something like the TReboot/Rise or the Uncharted games where you've got so many scripted and cinematic gameplay sequences along with a bunch of cutscenes and where the developers seem to be treating the game's story as if it were the best thing since sliced bread, you simply need to have good writing and a good plot to back that up. If you create a game that's so story-focused, your game's story should be held up to a higher standard than the story of a game which isn't.

Saty

Would be better to compare after the same numbers of days between the XB1 release and the over 1M copies PR.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yay, maybe it'll reach 2M between Steam and X1/360 before the PS4 version releases.
Thought it sell more on PC tbh.

Arklite

Pretty solid sales, I think the early port really helped as I didn't expect to see it on PC till April or May. The Steam release was sketchy with the post release discount, though.

SFenton

There is ~0% +|- 0% chance it did better than Steam.

That's... uh... what I said...?

Windows store... visibility? Please.

I think it's hard to refute that at a minimum, having your store default installed on however many millions of machines doesn't give your game some sort of visibility.

Especially since it looks like ROTTR is still headlining the Games section on the store.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That's actually no bad. I think the game did profit, not as big as it could have been though. But well. I am sure MS compensated them well.

You could easily make an argument that the gameplay went backward a bit, given the issue with input lag the game had on the console it was most closely associated with.

I saw a few people commenting about input lag when it launched, but never experienced it. Snapping headshots was as simple as any other 30 fps game I've played, and I was playing the game at the same time as Halo 5 which is probably the best point of comparison you could make on consoles regarding controls and user input in recent games.

Spinifex

So because the writing sucks, the game sucks.

Go away.

What's with the hostility? It's not unfair of us to expect a competent story given how much hype Crystal Dynamics throw around the performances of their voice actors and their writer, Rhianna Pratchett. Most videogame stories are pretty average, but we tolerate them because they're a videogame, this went BELOW that standard.

Story and graphics must be all that matter to you but some of us care more about gameplay.

A game like Tomb Raider needs all three: gameplay, story and graphics. It is a "story-driven" adventure game. I have not played Rise yet as I don't own an XB1, but I completely disliked the first one due to a substandard story, poor writing and terrible character development. I've heard that this game is more of the same. Gameplay is great and important (just look at The Order - pretty game with bad gameplay), but story and writing is of equal importance in this type of game.

EDIT: to add to my thought, some games don't need story and/or high end graphics because they are not story driven games. TR is.

Of course it was already being made, but I doubt it would have come in 2015 as a multiplatform. It would have probably taken 1+ years more.

LOL. An entire YEAR?! Who do you think ported Tomb Raider 2013 over to PS3 and PC to release day and date with the 360 version? Wizards? The idea that Nixxes couldn't possibly have ported Rise of the Tomb Raider over to PS4 and PC day and date like they've done with every other Crystal Dynamics game over the last 10 years is laughable.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Hopefully it sells enough to warrant continuing the franchise.

CD isn't experiencing mass layoffs. My bet is they're working on the sequel right about now while a small team pushes the DLC out.

The gameplay is being touted so much here heh...mechanics work but there is more to gameplay that pressing x and seeing an arrow accurately hit its target.

Warxard

Banned
It's also a part of the NVIDIA free bundle
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle (influx of digital copies from people upgrading their graphics cards during christmas/boxing day)

Many people got it highly discounted or for free

Those numbers are inflated and the thread title is misleading because it did not "sell" 430k copies.

Regardless, still an extremely popular title

So did XCOM not 'sell' 500k because it was heavily discounted on Key resellers?

A game like Tomb Raider needs all three: gameplay, story and graphics. It is a "story-driven" adventure game. I have not played Rise yet as I don't own an XB1, but I completely disliked the first one due to a substandard story, poor writing and terrible character development. I've heard that this game is more of the same. Gameplay is great and important (just look at The Order - pretty game with bad gameplay), but story and writing is of equal importance in this type of game.

EDIT: to add to my thought, some games don't need story and/or high end graphics because they are not story driven games. TR is.
I played TR2013, enjoyed it, but can tell you nothing about the story. I disagree that it's an important element.

And I don't even mind people criticizing the writing if they feel its bad, but saying the game should fail because of that? That's just dumb

shandy706

Eh, the writing in Rise isn't absolute shit or anything. This must be one of those cases where people are coming in from games with amazing writing like The Witcher 3, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and the difference in writing quality becomes too jarring.

The bar has been raised and Crystal Dynamics needs to catch up, no doubt about that.

This is why we all have opinions though.

I wouldn't put it above Uncharted 2, but I'd rather play RotTR through 5 times before having to play through TLoU once.

Top Bottom