• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Rocky IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
If you hate Rocky IV, you also hate America.

Just look at this poster.

Look at it.

poster-456.jpg

chaislip3

Yeah, it's age definitely shows.

If we're ranking the movies:
1. Rocky
2. Creed
3. Rocky Balboa
4. Rocky 3
5. Rocky 2
6. Rocky 4
7. Rocky 5

cacildo

Ive just watched Rocky I last night for the first time this year. Does everybody goes through a "Rocky phase"?

Also, one day we will need to talk about Rocky V

Ive just watched Rocky I last night for the first time this year. Does everybody goes through a "Rocky phase"?

Also, one day we will need to talk about Rocky V

V never happened, it's in a parallel universe where we don't have access.

Also, I've been trying to find some info on Robert Tepper but found almost nothing. WHO is that guy?

Rocky IV is the best Rocky movie, bottom line

it is the apex of 80s Reaganamia Cold War feud , Rocky IV is the diffinitive 80s movie

I'd say Rocky IV isn't the best Rocky movie, but it is the most fun. First Rocky definitely takes the "most well done" title, imo.

Rocky IV mastered the training sequences and the general build-up to the fights, as well as the fights themselves.

cacildo

V never happened, it's in a parallel universe where we don't have access.

Also, I've been trying to find some info on Robert Tepper but found almost nothing. WHO is that guy?

One day i tweeted a link to the No Easy Way Out video on youtube and he retweeted me

Thats all i know

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Always amazing to me the love this film gets. I rewatch the entire series yearly, and IV is not a good entry in the series. Its only better than V. III, Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, and Eye of the Tiger shit all over this movie. The James Brown part is cool though.

ThankeeSai

How can anyone not like Rocky IV?

It has the 2nd best movie soundtrack of all time.

The Lost Boys is obviously 1st.

Just finished watching this again. This movie has aged so badly, it's loud self indulgent and dumb beyond belief. That said I do still it, i do enjoy it even though I was cringing almost the entire time.

This movie feels like a giant circle jerk about America. It would gave been much better if hey just made it a straight up revenge piece rather than the USA v Russia steaming pile of shit we got which is crammed into basically every orifice in the film.

Most disappointly is the fact that this film could have been so much better.

This was every action movie in the 80s.

Best fight of the whole franchise, and best villain with music tied with rocky 3.

Watch that video

If that video isnt the two rounds of the Sporino fight from Creed, then you didn't post the best fight. And since Clubber and Apollo arent bad guys in IV, you also didnt post the best villain.

Like, its not even close!

T Dollarz

I definitely didn't think it was a good movie, but I still really enjoyed it for what it is. I'd go:

Rocky > Creed > Rocky Balboa > Rocky IV > Rocky III > Rocky II (but the final fight was amazing)

I definitely didn't think it was a good movie, but I still really enjoyed it for what it is. I'd go:

Rocky > Creed > Rocky Balboa > Rocky IV > Rocky III > Rocky II (but the final fight was amazing)

I like that ranking. Though if I'm drinking it's Rocky IV all the way.

Worth it for the Siberian workout montage alone. Rocky with beard>Rocky without beard

80's Rocky movies are the best (3&4). That being said all the Rocky movies are a product of their time. Rocky V was littered with 90's shit all over. Probably the most garbage in the series.

Rocky 3
Rocky 4
Rocky
Balboa
Rocky 2
Creed
Rocky V

Bandini

The part of the montage where the scientists, clipboards in hand, are watching the numbers on the machines go up as Drago trains is amazing. Gets me every time.

HEARTS ON FIRE

Noema

Rocky IV: evidence that something doesn't have to be good, in order to be awesome.

It also helps that the movie is like 80 minutes long, 25 of which are montages. So the movie is over before you realize how bad it is. Your brain is still digesting "Hearts on fire" by the time the credits roll.

Rocky II and III are objectively better movies, but I'd watch IV anywhere, anytime, for nothing.

IV is probably the worst Rocky movie for me. It's basically a music video. There's a robot. Stallone seems to lose a bit of the character. It's all just not very good.

III was a better cartoon entry in the series and V, at least, had Stallone acting like Rocky again.

Noema

It's amazing how Paulie went from a tragic / pathetic blue collar alcoholic of cinema verité existentialism to adorable comic relief who gets hand jobs from a robot.

inm8num2

Jessie's stepbrother Eric on Saved by the Bell was a fan of Rocky IV. Given how cool that guy was, he can't be wrong.

ojTM3Is.jpg

jblank83

It's not impossible to like a movie and acknowledge it's faults simultaneously.

Commie

Sometimes cheese is charm, rather than a serious flaw in the super serious art of movie making and the serious serious pastime of watching super serious artistic movies. Paulie bought a robot. Awesome. America, fuck yeah. Sometimes cheese is just bad. I think Rocky IV leans towards charming in the best 80s action movie fashion, like Commando. The story is cheesy but fulfilling. The acting is fine, fun, amusing, competently to well delivered. The cinematography is fine. The sets are good. The production values are good. Nothing much to complain about other than it's not a deep introspective on what makes a man be a boxer and the serious implications surrounding that sport (e.g. Rocky 1).

What is it you Rocky IV acolytes think you're going to find waiting for you as you race, full throttle and gloating, to the bottom?

It's not even enjoyable trash. Cobra is more enjoyable than Rocky IV is.

Hell, let's just leave this to Stallone only - the scale of "enjoyable action bullshit starring Stallone," in order, looks as such:

Demolition Man
Cliffhanger
Tango & Cash
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Nighthawks
Daylight
F.I.S.T.
Get Carter
Lock Up
Assassins (aka the Banderas Gif Movie)
Expendables
Cobra
Rocky IV
Rambo III
Judge Dredd
Over the Top
Rocky V

I mean, look at that shit.

studyguy

Day 2 on the search for OP's soul.
Listen, maybe if we have a montage moment we can find it my man.

Have you watched Creed, OP?
The truth of the matter here is the events of Rocky IV were just Sly playing the long game to set up for Creed and his eventual Oscar win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom