• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can definitely understand the hate Fallout 3 gets. It's a huge departure from the first two in every aspect except its general setting. the combat is pretty dull, the writing and overall story is pretty weak, and its definitely not polished. With that said I still loved it, and can't wait for New Vegas. Obsidian just needs to polish the core game, throw it in the vegas setting, and that's really it.

obonicus

Pitch Black Flint said:
:lol I can't believe there's any debate as to the instability of this game. I played the game on PS3 until I just couldn't progress any further due to frequent, unavoidable hard crashes and unbearable drops in frame rate. Couldn't finish Broken Steel or any of the DLC.

Not everyone had the same experience. Fallout 3 was undoubtedly the buggiest game I played on PS3 (in that it crashed my PS3 2-3 times) but I never got stuck in the geometry, I never had any of my teammates fall off the map and die, I don't think I ran into any scripting bugs (etc. etc. etc.). There were certainly performance issues, though, especially late in the game. I also had no problems with the DLC on PS3 and I bought them all day one.

Not saying the bugs don't exist, but there's some measure of luck to running into them. I think I was particularly lucky, you seem particularly unlucky.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
DennisK4 said:
There are people that hate on Fallout? Thats crazy talk :lol

There have been exactly three Fallout games: 1,2 and 3 - and they are indeed all masterpieces.

These three game have established a very unique gameworld with a flavor and atmosphere all its own.

Fallout Tactics?

zon

HK-47 said:
...especially 1 & 2.

Dear god. :lol

You're just trying to rile up some F1/F2 fans aren't you?

HK-47 said:
I hope this game has writing on par with 3. It really helped suck me into the world. I mean, its no ME2 but it probably a solid second.

I thought most of the writing was pretty bad in F3, the only thing that I really loved in terms of writing was
that house filled with ghouls in the south west corner of the world map, the one where you picked up audio recordings of a human who slowly turns into a ghoul
. Hopefully Obsidian does better.

Aspiring

DennisK4 said:
There are people that hate on Fallout? Thats crazy talk :lol

There have been exactly three Fallout games: 1,2 and 3 - and they are indeed all masterpieces.

These three game have established a very unique gameworld with a flavor and atmosphere all its own.

Having not played the first 2 i will not comment, but when i go out and pay full price for a game on launch, and the game constantly locks up my PS3, freezes on every notification, has glitches that make you restart the game, constantly getting stuck in rocks and some not even let the game finish, as well as so many other major bugs, i would hardly call that a masterpeice. Add to that a weak combat system and dull story and you have a game that is far from a masterpeice.

Its a shame as well, as i loved F3's setting and the idea of the game, but it was returned within a few days. I tried and stuck with it but its constant bugs were just annoying. Will try the GOTY edition once its dropped in price as i think they have fixed a lot of bugs, but man was i burnt. Because bottom line, it was unfinished. At the time i was reading through Bethesda's forum and their were complaints on all 3 versions, such as GOAT test not working among many others. Because the game was not finished. Their is no excuse from devs to let a buggy mess of an unfinished product out the door, with the frame of mind that they can patch things later. What happens if you bought F3 but didnt have a net connection? You would be stuck with a game that is so buggy its almost unplayable. I mean, inmaging getting to the end and a bug lets you not finish and have to start from scratch.

HK-47 said:
I hope this game has writing on par with 3. It really helped suck me into the world. I mean, its no ME2 but it probably a solid second.

I'm hoping it has writing on par with Fallout 1, but Fallout 3 would certainly be good too.

I like all three of the main fallout games, although the first is by far my favorite

Bought the GOTY edition Fallout3 and it stutters on my top PC i've built......ATI issues it seems.....from what i've played the game seems worse in most areas besides graphics than the two old ones....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
D2M15 said:
I hear you. But I just know Obsidian will mess this up by writing like they have some understanding of how human beings actually interact.

I hear ya. Fuck believable, multifaceted characters and stuff. I'm an android and I like my game characters to act the same. But only like really basic, malfunctioning ones.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tobor said:
Fallout 3 is awesome. I spent $100 on that game, and it was worth every penny.

Dude, fuck you.

Ripping Bethesda off. Shoulda spent $200 dollars. Support the devs! They have families to fed and such.

artilect

Banned
D2M15 said:
I hear you. But I just know Obsidian will mess this up by writing like they have some understanding of how human beings actually interact.

Its pretty weird that you mention Obsidian's writing when Fallout 3 had a lot of absolutely terrible dialog, a standard for Bethesda.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Luckydude23 said:
Has there been any new info on the game? Haven't kept up.

Very little, though I heard there was some stuff posted by the devs on the Obsidian forums. They are being tight lipped about this game. Hence why I think its pretty much assured a delay. The dev time they had set for the game is just too short to be reasonable unless they want another KotOR II.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
HK-47 said:
Very little, though I heard there was some stuff posted by the devs on the Obsidian forums. They are being tight lipped about this game. Hence why I think its pretty much assured a delay. The dev time they had set for the game is just too short to be reasonable unless they want another KotOR II.

...it's the Obsidian way.

Tobor

HK-47 said:
Dude, fuck you.

Ripping Bethesda off. Shoulda spent $200 dollars. Support the devs! They have families to fed and such.

Xbox Live needs to institute a "pay more than list price" option! They can call it the XBL tip jar!

Fallout 3 would have been a great classic, if it wasn't such a buggy, glitchy, crashy, unsupported disaster on both PC and consoles. This 'vegas' fallout is using the same engine, except the devs are a 3rd party, so their lack of experience may end up in an even buggier game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mjemirzian said:
Fallout 3 would have been a great classic, if it wasn't such a buggy, glitchy, crashy, unsupported disaster on both PC and consoles. This 'vegas' fallout is using the same engine, except the devs are a 3rd party, so their lack of experience may end up in an even buggier game.

qpice1.jpg

Darklord

Banned
mjemirzian said:

Obsidian aren't know for their high quality bug testing. Kotor 2 and NWN2 were a fucking mess. Fallout 3 wasn't that bad though. It is a bit janky but not a disaster by any means.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darklord said:
Obsidian aren't know for their high quality bug testing. Kotor 2 and NWN2 were a fucking mess. Fallout 3 wasn't that bad though. It is a bit janky but not a disaster by any means.

They also didnt get the smooth development of Fallout 3. Both MotB and Soz were more solid products since they were given a decent amount of time and didnt have high level designers run off to Bioware 3/4s of the way through development. It'll be interesting to see AP, since it has gotten a good dev cycle.

ElyrionX

Obsidian and Bethesda? Using the same engine FO3 and Oblivion used?

Of course, there are going to be 10835472 bugs on day one, of which 25674 of them will be game-breaking bugs. What else would you expect?

There are even some bugs in FO3 that were carried over from Oblivion!

HK-47 said:
They also didnt get the smooth development of Fallout 3. Both MotB and Soz were more solid products since they were given a decent amount of time and didnt have high level designers run off to Bioware 3/4s of the way through development. It'll be interesting to see AP, since it has gotten a good dev cycle.

I still remember the pain when fallout 3 hit. In my experiences with both fallout and oblivion i'll be wary of any of bethesda's gamebryo efforts.......in what 4-5 years with multiple copies across multiple machines i've yet to have a stable oblivion install....alas i also grew accustommed to F3's random crashing. :(

ElyrionX said:
Obsidian and Bethesda? Using the same engine FO3 and Oblivion used?

Of course, there are going to be 10835472 bugs on day one, of which 25674 of them will be game-breaking bugs. What else would you expect?

this

mAcOdIn

Bluemercury said:
Bought the GOTY edition Fallout3 and it stutters on my top PC i've built......ATI issues it seems.....from what i've played the game seems worse in most areas besides graphics than the two old ones....
ATI issues? The game runs fine on my rig. I got an AMD Phenom whatever the very first Phenom was on socket AM2, 4GB of DDR 2 400mhz, a Radeon 4870 and running Vista 64 and it runs well at 1680x1050, if your PC is "top" you should have a graphics card on par and a processor and ram that smokes mine.

There are a few scenes where it does run slow, and not from crazy graphics either, but they're pretty far between these instances and I'll admit the game has a lot of issues regarding getting stuck and shit like that if you try and go off the beaten path, and using a lot of mods sure as fuck becomes problematic, but I think the core game runs pretty darn well.

I use:
FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager, to disable Windows Live, disable Archive Invalidation and to launch the game.

Fallout Script Extender, Fallout Stutter Remover requires it and Danified UI really shines with it.

Fallout Stutter Remover, name is self explanatory.

Large Address Aware Enabler, enables the game to use more ram.

Darnified UI, makes the game look like a PC game and not a console port, has lots of cool options.

CASM (A save manager) in place of the standard saving mechanism.

I'm also playing through right now with Fook2 installed and like the added real guns and stuff it brings. Really, I don't think I need the performance mods I'm using but I figured why the fuck not you know? But honestly, out of the box it played better on my system a hell of a lot better than Dragon Age did.

Stop bumping this thread if there's no news, damn it. If you want to talk about Fallout general, talk in the official thread because it's still alive. There better be a trailer for this at E3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ChoklitReign said:
Stop bumping this thread if there's no news, damn it. If you want to talk about Fallout general, talk in the official thread because it's still alive. There better be a trailer for this at E3.
Um...
Ratsofatsorat said:
We are dropping some pretty cool stuff tomorrow. Whoo.

edit - I'll stop by when it goes up. You can follow the Bethblog Twitter feed as well -- we'll post it there the second it's live. http://twitter.com/bethblog

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ChoklitReign said:

lol wut

So looking forward to this. Fallout 3 was awesome. I played it way too much though and can never touch it again.

edit: please don't tomorrow's bit be an announcement of an announcement.

Llyranor

OMG stop bumping the thread when nothing happens. I keep hoping for news to come out for this game, and it's all arguments about other Fallout/Obs titles or some twitter crap.

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
edit: please don't tomorrow's bit be an announcement of an announcement.

We're not just sending out a press release, or starting up an 800,000-second counter or anything like that. It's definitely something of substance.

Ashodin

Ratsofatsorat said:
We're not just sending out a press release, or starting up an 800,000-second counter or anything like that. It's definitely something of substance.
eeeeeeeexcellent. I spent egads of money on DLC for Fallout 3. Even have the freebie premium theme!

That game was just pure unadulterated awesome. And New Vegas is going to be more of that awesome. More melee weapons plzthx!

Acosta

Ratsofatsorat said:

God bless you.

Alucrid

Banned
Ratsofatsorat said:

Substance? I like my announcements of announcements.

kamspy

Every time this thread bumps I get really giddy for a screen shot or something.

I'm going to be desensitized to the idea of new Fallout Vegas media by the time we actually get some.

kamspy said:
Every time this thread bumps I get really giddy for a screen shot or something.

I'm going to be desensitized to the idea of new Fallout Vegas media by the time we actually get some.
Tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom