• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction coming to XBLA/PSN?

Mush

mentalfloss said:
Shoulda cost that much on Wii. Wouldn't have failed so hard.

I'm pretty sure price wasn't a factor in the game's failure to sell, imo more like the Wii's target audience. Anyway, I thought DSE was well received critically, no?

TheSeks said:
Not really. Left thumb-stick/d-pad - aim.

R1/R-Trigger - shoot.
L1/L-Trigger - reload

Worked for Biohazard: Gun Survivor (ugh, no guncon support in US) and X-box port of House of the Dead 3 (unless you got the mad cats lightgun/Silent Scope controller).

That's what I would call "weird."

Reginald P. Linux said:
HD, Achievements and other additions like online co-op and 5.1 sound might make it a big update over the Wii version. Nothing funny about that.
yes

they're going to do all that

also EA will hire several Irish women that look like the female lead to go to your house and massage you while you play

definitive version confirmed

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AceBandage said:
And you say I'm trying to "spin this" like it means anything.
I'm simply stating the facts.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

AceBandage said:
I've never claimed to be, but I fail to see how I'm trying to spin anything here.
People don't want this game, the sales indicate that, the backlash indicate that.
However, it seems EA is just hell bent on shoving this game down people's throats.
"Wii owners" didn't want this game because the demographic that would even buy such a thing doesn't exist actively in the userbase. The "backlash" was only from butthurt Wii fans who wanted this game to be something it was not. Meanwhile the actual game was highly praised.

I'm not sure why you are even trying to evade this as you're as transparent as a window. Once the game failed to be what you wanted (or rather what you wanted to brag about in system warz) and once it failed to sell enough, you essentially tossed away and tried to make various excuses for it such as "no one would ever want it" and a hypothetical "backlash". And now that the game may possibly be ported elsewhere, you've kicked your excuses into hyperdrive.

Sipowicz

Banned
Reginald P. Linux said:
HD, Achievements and other additions like online co-op and 5.1 sound might make it a big update over the Wii version. Nothing funny about that.

exactly. the added content, the suitably low price, the install base having at least some familiarity with the franchise. all of these things serve to make this a very good move

as fucking terrible as EA are on the Wii they are very good on HD systems

Poyunch

Reginald P. Linux said:
Don't listen to me. I'm just bitter about the game in general.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EmCeeGramr said:
That's what I would call "weird."

I guess playing games that didn't have lightgun support at the time has made me tolerant to it. Yes, it's a little weird, but it's passable.

Do I really want to buy a Guncon 3/whatever lightgun if any on the 360? Hell yes if HotD 2+3 and HotD: Overkill came out on them. Shit, I'd buy a Guncon 3 for Time Crisis 4 (now $15 at Gamestop), but the fact of the matter is: HDTVs aren't good for lightgun games with a lightgun and this is the only way they're going to play outside some sensor bar like the Wii.

I'd buy it, probably not for $15, but hell it's Dead Space and from what I hear isn't bad.

kinggroin

Banned
Hmmm.. may have to give this a try on PS3 if their wand is supported.

360 one notta-so-moch (no plans on buying into Natal).

grandjedi6 said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Wii owners" didn't want this game because the demographic that would even buy such a thing doesn't exist actively in the userbase. The "backlash" was only from butthurt Wii fans who wanted this game to be something it was not. Meanwhile the actual game was highly praised.

If by butthurt Wii owners, you mean the people that are tired of third parties treating the system like shit and giving it spin offs and crap downs, sure.

grandjedi6 said:
I'm not sure why you are even trying to evade this as you're as transparent as a window. Once the game failed to be what you wanted (or rather what you wanted to brag about in system warz) and once it failed to sell enough, you essentially tossed away and tried to make various excuses for it such as "no one would ever want it" and a hypothetical "backlash". And now that the game may possibly be ported elsewhere, you've kicked your excuses into hyperdrive.

Oh yeah, I'm just so active in the system wars threads.
I can't stop posting about how OMG! TEH WII AM TEH BESTEST! ALL OTHER SYSTEMS AM TEH SUCK!

I may have a personal preference for the Wii this generation, but I don't give a damn about your system wars. I'm just tired of third parties not even getting basic things like people aren't big on spin off light gun games.

Sipowicz

Banned
grandjedi6 said:

what the fuck are you talking about?

the demographic exists, although it is pretty small. that said silent hill managed to sell 50k in the first month of npd through word of mouth aloneand that wasn't even exclusive. re4 did ok too as did the first resident evil lightgun game, although people actually know what resident evil is

initially there was quite a bit of excitement surrounding extraction, excitement that rightly dissapeared once it was revealed to be the short, outsourced, overpriced, uninteractive, rehashed arcade game spinoff that it is. dont paint this as some minor thing. practically everyone who was aware of this game's existence dismissed it outright as soon as the reality of it became apparent

Jigsaw

Banned
would be great,should have been multiplatform from beginning,as much as i loved dead space,it could not convince me to buy a wii for extraction

Aaron Strife said:
not even wii owners wanted this, why would it do better on XBLA
There's about thirty five reasons why.

Also! The rail shooter market is not saturated on the those platforms. So, 36 reasons!

Sipowicz said:
what the fuck are you talking about?

the demographic exists, although it is pretty small. that said silent hill managed to sell 50k in the first month of npd through word of mouth aloneand that wasn't even exclusive. re4 did ok too as did the first resident evil lightgun game, although people actually know what resident evil is

initially there was quite a bit of excitement surrounding extraction, excitement that rightly dissapeared once it was revealed to be the short, outsourced, overpriced, uninteractive, rehashed arcade game spinoff that it is. dont paint this as some minor thing. practically everyone who was aware of this game's existence dismissed it outright as soon as the reality of it became apparent

Jesus, jerk it with sandpaper. The game is fucking awesome and only Wii fans who wanted something that isn't logical to put on the system got angry.

Extraction's fault was that it got piss poor advertising. Stop thinking the Wii hardcore base is this all powerful proverbial FuckForce.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Dead Space: Extraction was awesome, so if a port can be done with appropriate controls, go for it.

EA should add options to see what collectibles were picked up in each stage and to hear/read the diaries outside of the game though.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Jesus, jerk it with sandpaper. The game is fucking awesome and only Wii fans who wanted something that isn't logical to put on the system got angry.

Extraction's fault was that it got piss poor advertising. Stop thinking the Wii hardcore base is this all powerful proverbial FuckForce.

How is it not logical to want Dead Space 1 on the Wii? They had an Xbox 1 version running at some point!

The audience for lightgun games is not on Wii, btw. It's not on PS3/360 either. Is there an audience for a RE4 style game like Dead Space? Well a 4 year old port that sold a million copies says yes. Note: I am aware RE is a big franchise, but that doesn't mean a Dead Space port would do poorly.

grandjedi6

AceBandage said:
If by butthurt Wii owners, you mean the people that are tired of third parties treating the system like shit and giving it spin offs and crap downs, sure.
Honestly now, where does your perception of the Wii userbase come from? The percent of Wii owners who care even a little about such a thing, basically boils down to the thousand or so fans who already post on video game forums.

AceBandage said:
Oh yeah, I'm just so active in the system wars threads.
I can't stop posting about how OMG! TEH WII AM TEH BESTEST! ALL OTHER SYSTEMS AM TEH SUCK!

I may have a personal preference for the Wii this generation, but I don't give a damn about your system wars. I'm just tired of third parties not even getting basic things like people aren't big on spin off light gun games.
You're a nonstop system warz machine. Its just that in your case, rather than Sony or Microsoft being "the enemy", its anyone who doesn't fully adhere to Nintendo 100%.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would be great as a Natal/Arc game. Hopefully, if this comes to fruition, that's the path Visceral choose.

Sipowicz

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:

it fucking isn't awesome

it is a fucking arcade game spinoff made by a shovelware developer. the reitcule takes up half the screen, the levels are way too long and mostly consist of uniteractive cutscenes between encounters. i would have been PISSED if i had bought the game instead of renting it. it is a complete ripoff that pales in comparison to the full game, and that is the point

the shittier developers/publishers on the wii, particularly incompetent ones like EA have this view that you can sell half-assed, watered down shit for 4 times what it's worth and people who own a Wii should NAY must buy it! fuck them and fuck this overpriced shit. everyone should wait for the better version on XBLA/PSN and pay the 15 dollars it's actually worth instead of forking out for the pointless, overpriced wii version

Rush2thestart said:
The audience for lightgun games is not on Wii, btw. It's not on PS3/360 either. Is there an audience for a RE4 style game like Dead Space? Well a 4 year old port that sold a million copies says yes. Note: I am aware RE is a big franchise, but that doesn't mean a Dead Space port would do poorly.

I'm not completely familiar with the sales numbers, but didn't the light gun Resident Evil game do really well on Wii? Doesn't this show there's an audience for lightgun games on Wii?

grandjedi6 said:
Honestly now, where does your perception of the Wii userbase come from? The percent of Wii owners who care even a little about such a thing, basically boils down to the thousand or so fans who already post on video game forums.

From common sense. Light gun shooters have never been big sellers, and expecting an outsourced spin off light gun shooter to do well was ignorance on EA's part.
And the fact that they didn't even bother to promote it properly was just icing on the cake.

grandjedi6 said:
You're a nonstop system warz machine. Its just that in your case, rather than Sony or Microsoft being "the enemy", its anyone who doesn't fully adhere to Nintendo 100%.

Also incorrect.
I don't give a shit if people don't like Nintendo or what they are doing.
However, I can not stand the sheer arrogance and ignorance that third parties have displayed this generation.
It's simply amazing that they think they can get away with the shit they put out.
Ubisoft had the balls to complain about their Petz series not selling well on the Wii and DS.

grandjedi6

Rush2thestart said:
How is it not logical to want Dead Space 1 on the Wii? They had an Xbox 1 version running at some point!

RE4 Wii does not apply anymore. That train has departed. The users who bought RE4 have long since bailed for greener pastures or were never going to buy additional games anyway. Indeed, it seems to be a trend on the Wii for the userbase to ignore sequels to games as they've gone ahead and 'gotten their fill' from just the first one or two games. Hence the gradual death of the minigame genre and now, apparently, the lightgun genre. A RE4-2/6/whatever would probably never reach the sales of RE4 wii, let alone a Dead Space styled one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Reginald P. Linux said:
I'm not completely familiar with the sales numbers, but didn't the light gun Resident Evil game do really well on Wii?

The first, yes. The second one, not really.

Doesn't this show there's an audience for lightgun games on Wii?

Yes and no. HotD 2+3/Overkill sold well. Biohazard: Umbrella Archives sold well. Darkside is hit-and-miss in sells. Dead Space flopped (it sold, but way below what EA wanted). Nerf games, I dunno.

There's a market, but it's pretty picky and not a sure thing.

grandjedi6

AceBandage said:
From common sense. Light gun shooters have never been big sellers, and expecting an outsourced spin off light gun shooter to do well was ignorance on EA's part.
And the fact that they didn't even bother to promote it properly was just icing on the cake.
And yet titles such as Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead and Ghost Squad have done pretty well on the Wii, no?

And I'm not sure how that is a defense of your statement that DSE failed because of " people that are tired of third parties treating the system like shit", as if most users were even aware of such a situation.

AceBandage said:
Also incorrect.
I don't give a shit if people don't like Nintendo or what they are doing.
However, I can not stand the sheer arrogance and ignorance that third parties have displayed this generation.
It's simply amazing that they think they can get away with the shit they put out.
Ubisoft had the balls to complain about their Petz series not selling well on the Wii and DS.
Yes but you seem to define "sheer arrogance and ignorance" on behalf 3rd parties as simply them not doing everything YOU want to happen. Hell, you even had the gall to suggest that Nibris knows more about the industry than Capcom, for no reason other than because Nibris's gimmick is to appeal to fanboy's pipe dreams.

grandjedi6 said:
And I'm not sure how that is a defense of your statement that DSE failed because of " people that are tired of third parties treating the system like shit", as if most users were even aware of such a situation.

yeah, the people I know irl that were both gamers before the wii and bought a wii have migrated to other systems because they just care about playing video games. My own cousin was way into the Wii for a year or so, and now he's big into PC gaming; smart lad, that one.

and I would have totally bought Dead Space Wii if it was $15 and I didn't know that there is a 360/PS3 version on the way. Lowest I've seen it for was $25, and that was an amazon christmas sale.

grandjedi6 said:
And yet titles such as Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead and Ghost Squad have done pretty well on the Wii, no?

UC did well because people thought it was a new RE game. Didn't work so well the second time around though, did it?
HotD also wasn't a spin off and was MEANT to be a light gun game, so was GR. So those are moot to the point.
Considering how third party games, regardless of genre or quality including the "casual" games are failing left and right, it seems like most users are indeed aware.

grandjedi6 said:
Yes but you seem to define "sheer arrogance and ignorance" on behalf 3rd parties as simply them not doing everything YOU want to happen. Hell, you even had the gall to suggest that Nibris knows more about the industry than Capcom, for no reason other than because Nibris's gimmick is to appeal to fanboy's pipe dreams.

It has nothing to do with what I want, but rather what should happen.
Third parties started out on the console with quick ports and low quality exclusives, and never moved past that, and they expected to find success on the console simply because of the user base size.
I'd call that arrogance and ignorance.

Extraction was fun, I'd just hope they put this on Steam or something as well because I'm not buying a 360/PS3 version of Dead Space 2. PC version all the way!

Well... then again I have it on Wii and I really don't care about seeing it in HD. It was a fun experience though, and I think a must-have for Dead Space fans.

Hope more people get to experience it. Really like some of the characters they used in Extraction, like Lexine.

Persona7

Banned
BurritoBushido said:
I wish more companies might do this. I think A Boy and His Blob could benefit from this kind of thinking as well.

I would love a HD version. :( I have been hoping for it actually.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I will buy Extraction if it comes out for the XBLA or even a 360 retail version! This is awesome news.

Anony said:
15 usd on xbla/psn
vs
50 usd on wii

reaffirms this should have retailed for budget price on wii when it released if this is true
Did it really have a MSRP of $50 on release? Wow, I bought it for $30 like a month after release. Awesome game!

EA: We expect Wii owners to pay $50 for our title developed on a small budget.
EA: We understand the needs and desires of the hardcore market on PS3 and the 360. As such, we know the audience would be unwilling to play full price for our budget game. Therefore, we will do the right thing and release at $15 as the market desires.

grandjedi6

AceBandage said:
UC did well because people thought it was a new RE game. Didn't work so well the second time around though, did it?
HotD also wasn't a spin off and was MEANT to be a light gun game, so was GR. So those are moot to the point.
Considering how third party games, regardless of genre or quality including the "casual" games are failing left and right, it seems like most users are indeed aware.

So you think that UC sold well because it "tricked" people into somehow thinking it was a regular Resident Evil game and that DC did poorly because users refused to be "tricked" this time? Where the hell do you get such an idea? What about all the other RE spinoffs on the PS2? Were those also cases of users being "tricked" emasse? I highly doubt that the far majority of gamers who bought the game somehow didn't know that it was a lightgun game. Hell, it was on the back of the fucking boxart.

And somehow Dead Space Extraction wasn't "meant" to be a lightgun game despite being built up as such? And this is what caused it to sell poorly? What?!

Your last statement is the most disingenuous as you'll undoubtedly be defending the Wii's 3rd party sales by the end of the week.

AceBandage said:
It has nothing to do with what I want, but rather what should happen.
Third parties started out on the console with quick ports and low quality exclusives, and never moved past that, and they expected to find success on the console simply because of the user base size.
I'd call that arrogance and ignorance.
What an arrogant and ignorant comment. How ironic.

Really AceBandage, can you tone down on the whinning, just a little? You post alot in Wii related topics and yet its always just you complaining about this publisher's stance on the Wii, or about his journalists comments or even just in general. Thus we come to a situation where almost every Nintendo related thread on this forum has multiple whinny posts from you over some random indignation of yours. It makes you such an unbearable poster overall.

evangd007

Reginald P. Linux said:
I'm not completely familiar with the sales numbers, but didn't the light gun Resident Evil game do really well on Wii? Doesn't this show there's an audience for lightgun games on Wii?

The fact of whether there's a market or not is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that not one but three companies tried to pass a light gun game as "big hardcore support," and that is downright insulting.

mugurumakensei said:
EA: We expect Wii owners to pay $50 for our title developed on a small budget.
EA: We understand the needs and desires of the hardcore market on PS3 and the 360. As such, we know the audience would be unwilling to play full price for our budget game. Therefore, we will do the right thing and release at $15 as the market desires.

This is also insulting to the Wii audience.

timetokill said:
It was a fun experience though,

Agreed.

timetokill said:
and I think a must-have for Dead Space fans.

That was the problem. Dead Space isn't as popular as EA wants it to be, and was an unknown brand on the Wii. I think they were banking on big Dead Space fans to buy it, but they either didn't have a Wii, didn't care about side-stories, or just downright didn't want a $50 rails-shooter.

grandjedi6 said:
So you think that UC sold well because it "tricked" people into somehow thinking it was a regular Resident Evil game and that DC did poorly because users refused to be "tricked" this time? Where the hell do you get such an idea? What about all the other RE spinoffs on the PS2? Were those also cases of users being "tricked" emasse? I highly doubt that the far majority of gamers who bought the game somehow didn't know that it was a lightgun game. Hell, it was on the back of the fucking boxart.

Didn't the RE spinoffs on the RE do abysmally compared to Umbrella Chronicles after Outbreak 1? Didn't Capcom state there would be hardcore titles for the Wii if they passed the "test"(bought umbrella chronicles) which only led to a second rail-shooter rather than what most where clamoring for?

grandjedi6 said:
Really AceBandage, can you tone down on the whinning, just a little? You post alot in Wii related topics and yet its always just you complaining about this publisher's stance on the Wii, or about his journalists comments or even just in general. Thus we come to a situation where almost every Nintendo related thread on this forum has multiple whinny posts from you over some random indignation of yours. It makes you such an unbearable poster overall.

Well, sorry for having an opinion on a message board. I forgot that they were taboo.

Look, I'm hardly always whining, it's mostly just when third parties or journalists act like idiots, which happens to be constantly.

And if you really find me that annoying, you are more than free to ignore me and not respond to me anymore, I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

Top Bottom