• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction coming to XBLA/PSN?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
israeli redneck said:
I personally don't like the wii, and am glad that most publishers/developers are not putting lots of effort into wii games.

I hate waggle, and never understood how shaking a wiimote was better than pressing a button.

I have a wii thats been sitting in the corner for over a year, and the only feeling I have for it is that I am sorry I wasted money on it.

With that, I don't really think any AAA dev will really want to put their game on a gimped system. It's the exact same reason you don't see AAA devs making anymore ps2 games - they want to move onto bigger and better, and seems like they think like me - that the wii is not any better than last gen, and they cannot make the games they want on it.
Fine by me, and the only thing I can recommend wii owners to do is buy a current gen console, and stop wishing for whats available on the other consoles.

Joke post?

C-Jo said:
If this is actually happens and it's $15.00 with Arc/Natal support, I'm there day one.

I never understood the decision to spin the Dead Space series off onto the Wii and away from its fanbase.
It would've been a much smarter investment if they had just done it as a regular action/adventure game using the same scenario. That way EA could have cultivated the proper following on all three platforms. Instead they touched a raw nerve with Wii owners who were already weary of neutered spin-offs and, as you mentioned, cut it off from the good will they had already built up with the original on the HD systems. It was stupidly positioned all around.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
There's no getting around the fact that the game is sleeping in the bed EA made for it. A price drop helps, but the game already has a stigma attached to it based on how badly positioned it was from the get-go.

Agreed. But to say that Wii owners didn't want it, and it will bomb on XBLA/PSN is not what the game deserves. It's a great game coming to others systems after not selling well for another. Whats to hate?

I'm actually pretty chuffed that EA have decided to push for it to another audience by DD.

Firestorm

VOOK said:
Joke post?
Well, I can identify with wanting developers to put their games on consoles that can output higher quality visuals and audio as well as support the type of community features I've come to expect as a bare minimum. Especially as I find most games don't gain much at all from motion controls which makes the drawbacks of being on Wii not seem worth it.

However, in the case of light gun games, I'd probably take a Wii version over anything else unless Arc and Natal can pull it off really well. And by Natal I do not mean "INVISIBLE GUNZ". Give me something to hold and go pew pew with.

Tenbatsu

israeli redneck said:
I personally don't like the wii, and am glad that most publishers/developers are not putting lots of effort into wii games.

I hate waggle, and never understood how shaking a wiimote was better than pressing a button.

I have a wii thats been sitting in the corner for over a year, and the only feeling I have for it is that I am sorry I wasted money on it.

With that, I don't really think any AAA dev will really want to put their game on a gimped system. It's the exact same reason you don't see AAA devs making anymore ps2 games - they want to move onto bigger and better, and seems like they think like me - that the wii is not any better than last gen, and they cannot make the games they want on it.
Fine by me, and the only thing I can recommend wii owners to do is buy a current gen console, and stop wishing for whats available on the other consoles.
:lol

C-Jo

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It would've been a much smarter investment if they had just done it as a regular action/adventure game using the same scenario. That way EA could have cultivated the proper following on all three platforms. Instead they touched a raw nerve with Wii owners who were already weary of neutered spin-offs and, as you mentioned, cut it off from the good will they had already built up with the original on the HD systems. It was stupidly positioned all around.

Agreed, and to be perfectly honest, I'm only interested in it as the narrative bridge between Dead Space 1 and 2. I'm not especially excited about it gameplay-wise.

Firestorm said:
However, in the case of light gun games, I'd probably take a Wii version over anything else unless Arc and Natal can pull it off really well. And by Natal I do not mean "INVISIBLE GUNZ". Give me something to hold and go pew pew with.

As much as I've enjoyed stuff like Ghost Squad and HotD: Overkill on the Wii, I'm hoping Arc will be able to replicate something resembling how a light gun should actually function.

MarkMclovin said:
Agreed. But to say that Wii owners didn't want it, and it will bomb on XBLA/PSN is not what the game deserves. It's a great game coming to others systems after not selling well for another. Whats to hate?

I'm actually pretty chuffed that EA have decided to push for it to another audience by DD.
It's an alright game to play through once. The mandatory long winded story sequences (where there's nothing to do but spam your kinesis) and lack of variation in how to accomplish anything totally kill the replay value. It hurt doubly when the game released at full price, but even at the current $30 price tag the value proposition is pretty crappy compared to the original Dead Space which can be found for half the price. I admire the production values and thought that went into fleshing out the universe, but the gameplay is severely scaled back.

evangd007

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It's an alright game to play through once. The mandatory long winded story sequences (where there's nothing to do but spam your kinesis) and lack of variation in how to accomplish anything totally kill the replay value. It hurt doubly when the game released at full price, but even at the current $30 price tag the value proposition is pretty crappy compared to the original Dead Space which can be found for half the price. I admire the production values and thought that went into fleshing out the universe, but the gameplay is severely scaled back.

Although as a Dead Space fan I appreciated it, I thought it was a bad decision to focus so much on a storyline that nobody but the rabid fanboys cared about, especially because it was released on a platform that didn't have the original on it. I mean, in an interview they sounded so proud that Extraction had 4x the amount of dialogue than Dead Space, somehow forgetting that storyline to many people is "what happens when I'm not killing stuff."

I think it will be worth their time and effort, it deserves more audience and they know that releasing it on the 360/PS3 will give them, especially with Dead Space 2 coming out later this year or early next year.

So, this is pretty much GTA: Chinatown Wars Part 2?

EDIT:

And speaking as one of the Wii owners who bought DS:E at full price on day one, I must admit to feeling more than a little bit cheated by the prospect of seeing the game available as a £10 download, or offered as bonus fluff for a pre-order.

Ports - and enhanced ports - have been a part of the industry for years and I don't see a problem with them, as the more people who get to enjoy a game the better. However, the prospect of seeing games like DS:E, NBA Jam (if rumours are to be believed) and others being released as full-price packaged releases on one platform then subsequently released as budget downloads (or pre-order bonuses) on another seems slightly sleazy.

Lonely1 said:
Why not? After all, the EA has mostly failed on their casual affairs.

Lies.

Grand Slam tennis, Boom Blox and EA Active were pretty succesful, titles that were nice efforts and had strong marketing. Of course other shitty efforts like EA playground and etc... didn't do that well.

Just dance is probably the most succesful Ubisoft title on Wii for quite some time, and probably will do way better than red steel 2.

There's a base on Wii for those games, but not enough to put AAA titles like some people want...

Mael

Firestorm said:
Well, I can identify with wanting developers to put their games on consoles that can output higher quality visuals and audio as well as support the type of community features I've come to expect as a bare minimum. Especially as I find most games don't gain much at all from motion controls which makes the drawbacks of being on Wii not seem worth it.

Funny you would think that.
I mean as a recent ps3 owner, I got gifted with re5 and dear god I prefer re4WE controls to re5....
Even though re5 is way scarier that way....
and NO I don't want re5 on Wii thank you
Heck you prefer hq visuals/audio & community features I don't care about and I prefer controls you don't care about....
If you ask me as long as neither of us decide of where the games are put, I'm fine with it

That being said, DSE on Wii or ps3 is of NO interest to me.
BTW the game is 15 bucks for quite some time on Wii right now...
And nope i still didn't buy it
I prefer RE DsC, I like my cheese in my horror rail shooter

I still don't understand what was the point of releasing something seen as sequel on a different platform in a way nobody wanted AND THEN not advertising it.
Guess if they release DeBlob2 as ps3 exclusive as a 2nd person shooter that makes as much sense

MYE

I entered this thread...

israeli redneck said:

...and i already regret it. Holy shit, its like i'm back at Gamespot forums.
Seriously, ugh

wsippel

Banned
Firestorm said:
I don't believe Wii could share the same assets as the PS3/PC/360 version. It needs its own dedicated team.
That's actually not entirely true. With an efficient pipeline, a studio could do both versions at the same time, with little to no overhead. The two main problems are that a) developers and especially publishers don't care and b) some common middleware wasn't ported.

MYE

Cosmonaut X said:
And speaking as one of the Wii owners who bought DS:E at full price on day one, I must admit to feeling more than a little bit cheated by the prospect of seeing the game available as a £10 download, or offered as bonus fluff for a pre-order.

Also this.
I know i wont be making the same mistake twice EA.

MarkMclovin said:
Why are people saying it's $50?. I swear people are just dong a Copy & Paste of other peoples wrong posts.

It's fucking $29.99 in Gamestop and amazon.com, new.

It was released at $50, that's how much EA thought the game was worth. There's no point in talking about how much it costs now that retailers have discounted it.

Personally I don't want the game, period. I just dislike how EA think they can get away with putting out a stupid spinoff light gun game for $50 and then give it to their "core" audience for $15.

It's sleazy and another example of how western third parties constantly shaft Nintendo (Like someone said, it's GTA Chinatown Wars all over again!)

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
It's sleazy and another example of how western third parties constantly shaft Nintendo (Like someone said, it's GTA Chinatown Wars all over again!)

Except, you know, GTA CW was actually a fantastic product.
i mean it was actually better than their main entry, can't say the same with this :/
Anyway not like I care, I didn't buy and will not buy the sequel either (not as a statement but because I see nothing in it that interest me)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I remember arguing that a certain class of Wii game if ported would fall onto PSN at a discount. There were some pretty hurt bums over those comments. But even I didn't quite expect some of the higher profile offerings to fall into that class. But fair enough...

Some games will hold their value coming over from Wii to HD land. Some won't. It's going to be interesting to see where the lines are drawn, there'll probably be some experimentation to start off with. But I hope this is the avenue that gets rewarded.

wsippel

Banned
gofreak said:
I remember arguing that a certain class of Wii game if ported would fall onto PSN at a discount. There were some pretty hurt bums over those comments. But even I didn't quite expect some of the higher profile offerings to fall into that class. But fair enough...

Some games will hold their value coming over from Wii to HD land. Some won't. It's going to be interesting to see where the lines are drawn, there'll probably be some experimentation to start off with. But I hope this is the avenue that gets rewarded.
The games that don't hold their value weren't worth much to begin with. That's one of the things 3rd parties don't get. Games don't have to be good enough for Wii, they have to be good enough regardless of the platform. The former never works, the latter rarely happens. If it happens though, the games usually do sell. If you don't expect your project to sell a certain amount at a certain price on PS360, don't expect it to sell on Wii, either.

Agnates

Banned
@ people showing little big planet's arc video to "prove" it can do lightgun shooters, that wasn't even actual pointing, she was clearly waving the thing around... And it wasn't even showing both the players and screen at once to note if there's lag. Completely different mechanics though, more like their writing demo than a shooter.

wsippel

Banned
Agnates said:
@ people showing little big planet's arc video to "prove" it can do lightgun shooters, that wasn't even actual pointing, she was clearly waving the thing around... And it wasn't even showing both the players and screen at once to note if there's lag. Completely different mechanics though, more like their writing demo than a shooter.
That's an interesting point. With a static camera and only a single point to track, there is no perspective. And without perspective, Arc probably can't even be used as a pointer the way the Wiimote is used.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agnates said:

Huh? No one was talking about lbp here or arc's ability to do 'lightgun shooters'.

But since you raise it, the girl was using a mix of translational and rotational pointing. Which is the most natural way to do pointing. Watch for example from the 38 second or so mark, just after the color of her sphere changes to yellow..she starts a circular motion, twirling it around using wrist rotation (at this point it cuts back to the screen).

This was obvious anyway in the e3 demos with the flashlight stuff etc. And even moreso in the vids after e3 on the playstation blog, where richard marks even went out of his way to clearly differentiate between tracking of translational movement, and tracking of rotational pointing (in fact he only classed the latter as really pointing, not the former).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agnates said:
Maybe you need to check page 1. And you're wrong. It's waving.

Check the 38 second mark, just after the light turns yellow, and tell me she isn't rotating her wrist.

And tell me that rotational pointing wasn't CLEARLY demonstrated in the E3 and blog vids.

Agnates

Banned
She is, but only to change the sphere's position, not point, it's obviously more natural to not restrict your wrist movement when you're moving something. And no, it wasn't.

Anyway, wait and see, let's not turn this into another "dur, ure just a fanboy, arc obviously has analog stix on it and is bettar than Wiimote, don't u see it CLEARLY?!" etc.

quetz67

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
not even wii owners wanted this, why would it do better on XBLA
could you have asked a dumber question?

$15 for some nice Dead Space content to fill the gap to Dead Space 2. Day one for me if true. This didnt fail because it is a rail shooter or a bad game.

wsippel

Banned
gofreak said:
Check the 38 second mark, just after the light turns yellow, and tell me she isn't rotating her wrist.

And tell me that rotational pointing wasn't CLEARLY demonstrated in the E3 and blog vids.
Rotation can be tracked by the gyroscope, anyway. We'll see. Agnates' point makes sense if you think about it. Not saying Sony didn't find a non-obvious workaround.

onken

A rail shooter with a control pad? Pass.

May buy for Arc if it's cheap enough (and if I actually find a reason to buy Arc).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agnates said:
She is, but what she wanted to do is wave, and it's obviously more natural to not restrict your wrist movement when you're moving something.

What the user does and what the thing is capable of are entirely different things. Put most people standing in front of a TV with a pointer and there'll be quite a lot of 'waving' going on. It is the most natural thing to do, to mix both, and she does, and it tracked both as you could see in the motion of the cursor after she does her rotational circular motion bit.

Agnates said:
And no, it wasn't.

Yes it was. Both the 'controller in a virtual box' part and the flashlight demo specifically were ample demonstration of 3D pointing with rotation. They made this even more explicit in this post-e3 demo:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/09/18/motion-controller-update-part-iii/

Watch from 3:08. The first bit where he simply moves it in the xy plane is what you think it's restricted to.

Agnates said:
Anyway, wait and see, let's not turn this into another "dur, ure just a fanboy, arc obviously has analog stix on it and is bettar than Wiimote, don't u see it CLEARLY?!" etc.

I don't know what analog sticks have to do with this, but this whole rotational pointing malarky has been going on too long - it has been very obviously demoed at this point.

wsippel said:
Rotation can be tracked by the gyroscope, anyway. We'll see. Agnates' point makes sense if you think about it. Not saying Sony didn't find a non-obvious workaround.

I don't what his point is to be honest. All you need to do rotational pointing is the xy location relative to a box around the screen and the angle of the controller. Both bits of data obviously available to the arc.

Agnates

Banned
That demo doesn't show pointing. To have pointing you mustn't track a flashlight or gun that is actually inside the game, and where it in turn points, you must track a gun that in 3D would be far behind the camera view, in the hands of the player, and where he points. I don't see why I need to explain the obvious, but no, we don't have demos showing actual, lagless, exact, Wiimote + House of the Dead 2 & 3 or Ghost Squad type pointing. In theory it seems viable but we have yet to see it, don't claim we have.

And my only point that you don't know what it was, was that people wanting to prove shit with the lbp demo, can't prove that shit with it. End of.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
israeli redneck said:

wrjngm.gif

Mael

raaaaaaaaaah and with this I'm out.
I mean if the only thing left to discuss is technical points of why ARC is so awesome/crappy, I prefer to bail out

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agnates said:
That demo doesn't show pointing. To have pointing you mustn't track a flashlight or a gun that is actually inside the game, and where it in turn points, you must track a gun that in 3D would be far behind the camera view, and in the hands of the player, and where he points.

This is a simple matter of application. Both use the same data - where you are pointing to in a virtual box around the screen, which comes from x-y location of the tip of the wand and its angle.

It's like saying you haven't demonstrated pointing with a mouse because you're demoing it with a RTS instead of a first person shooter. It's the same data applied in different contexts. The important thing to demo is that this data can be captured and supplied to the application...how it interprets it (as a gun at the camera or as a flashlight in the middle of the scene) is completely irrelevant.

Loonz

Well, I loved playing Dead Space on my PS3 and right now I'm totally hooked to DS: Extraction on the Wii. In fact, I really like it, it's a very different take on the franchise, quite refreshing. And the story has a lot more sense than in the original, you receive a lot more information about what happened in the colony and the Ishimura. It even has a frigging' awesome animated comic (about the events that lead into the outbreak, or whatever it was what happened in Aegis IV) as an extra.

Any fan of the original DS will love it, I think. Being able to play it with someone else (I'm teaming with my brother, and having a blast!) it's just icing the cake. I can only recomend the game, specially if you liked the first and you love some mindless shooting "on-rails style" :D .

Now, bear in mind I've bought it at discount: less than 20€, which is really cheap here in Europe. And I have Disaster: Day of Crisis in my Wii backlog ready to be played, bought for 9.99€ (eat this, american fellow gaffers :p). If DS: Extraction gets ported to Live Arcade or PSN I wouldn't feel burned at all, as I've already enjoyed it, and I think it would be great if more people gets to experience its awesomeness.

Agnates

Banned
gofreak said:
It's like saying you haven't demonstrated pointing with a mouse because you're demoing it with a RTS instead of a first person shooter.
You make no sense which leads me to believe you know exactly what I'm saying and choose to talk about other shit because you can't confront it. That is not what I showed at all with what I said (that demo has a gun anyway). And you actually can't point with a mouse either, not in this manner :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agnates said:
You make no sense which leads me to believe you know exactly what I'm saying and choose to talk about other shit because you can't confront it. That is not what I showed at all. And you can't point with a mouse :lol

Explain to me then the difference between the data required to determine where a gun at the camera is pointing and where a flashlight in the middle of a virtual space is pointing.

And you know perfectly well what I mean - you use mice to indirectly point at positions on a screen. You're saying that difference in application means a difference in the controller requirement, so I'm asking you to point out what the difference in data is that a controller has to capture.

I'm saying that in both cases it requires x,y,z and angle. You are saying...?

cacildo

Ah, yeah, no. This game is horrible. They should sell it for 4 bucks, because 15 is too much.

If you dont have a Wii and think it might be a good idea to get this game, think again.

- It ends in less than 4 hours,
- There´s less than 2 types of enemies. And zombies only on stage 1
- There´s only 3 bosses. And they suck.
- "melee attacks", useful only to clear barriers. Ridiculous. You´re walking. Did you stop? Use melee attack.
- There are times when you´re crawling through the vent... and you keep crawling.... and nothing happens... and you keep crawling... and it just goes on and on for more than one and a half minutes.... and you realize you payed to see crawling through vents in first person. That´s just pathetic.
- After the game ends, you never want to see it again.
- AT LEAST it has a nice little story
- AT LEAST the camera works better than Darkside Chronicles
- AT LEAST it had some nice graphics.... fOr ThE WiIiIiIiiiiiiii......

Agnates

Banned
The point is exactly that, relative movement, as opposed to actual movement. It's one thing to say, hey, here I am, in this room, and here is that gun, in the middle of the 3D room. Activate the controls and any move you make, the gun replicates.

And another thing to have a pointer that functions with actual, not relative movement, pointing where you point, not where a 3D gun inside the 3D space points.

At the very least you'll neeed some sort of calibration process (which you need even on Wii with its two reference points if you want exact, not relative pointing, which Dead Space actually lacked and is one of the reasons I personally dislike that game very much, along with issues others mentioned already) for it to map exactly your own position in the 3D space, as opposed to giving you control of an object that was already in a specific position in the 3D space. It's not hard to understand.

It's the difference between Wii Sports Resort's swordplay (I control the sword in relative 1:1, yet it doesn't point exactly where I'm pointing, as it's not in my position) and playing House of the Dead on Wii (it points where I point with no gun on screen, and without even motion plus). If you can't see that completely different technology features and application is involved/required in those two situations, meh, let's stop talking about this shit.

Like I said, in theory it seems viable, but we have yet to see it, and your demos that were supposed to prove it don't demonstrate it at all. You're speculating it's possible, and all I'm saying is we have yet to see it. I didn't say it's not possible, I said those demos don't demonstrate it. My facts, versus your speculation. End of.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agnates said:
The point is exactly that, relative movement, as opposed to actual movement. It's one thing to say, hey, here I am, in this room, and here is that gun, in the middle of the 3D room. Activate the controls and any move you make, the gun replicates.

And another thing to have a pointer that functions with actual, not relative movement, pointing where you point, not where a 3D gun inside the 3D space points.

At the very least you'll neeed some sort of calibration process for it to map exactly your own position in the 3D space, as opposed to giving you control of an object that was already in a specific position in the 3D space. It's not hard to understand.

It's the difference between Wii Sports Resort's swordplay (I control the sword in relative 1:1, yet it doesn't point exactly where I'm pointing, as it's not in my position) and playing House of the Dead on Wii (it points where I point with no gun on screen, and without even motion plus). If you can't see that completely different technology features and application is involved/required in those two situations, meh, let's stop talking about this shit.

Like I said, in theory it seems viable, but we have yet to see it, and your demos that were supposed to prove it don't demonstrate it at all. You're speculating it's possible, and all I'm saying is we have yet to see it. I didn't say it's not possible, I said those demos don't demonstrate it. My facts, versus your speculation. End of.

The arc is not tracking motion relative to a starting centre point. That's the whole reason for the ball - so it can determine your 'absolute' co-ordinates relative to the sensor at any time. It's not accumulating changes in position from some starting point.

It's the exact same with the wii-mote or wii-motion+. It can detect the location of the controller at any time relative to sensor bar. It does not know precisely where on your TV you are pointing - it could if it asked you the size and aspect ratio of your TV, but it does not. So it draws a plane and maps where you are pointing to that plane, and then maps it back to the TV.

The eye/arc set up is exactly the same. It knows where in a virtual box around the eye you are pointing just as the wii knows where in a box around the sensor bar you're pointing.

The data is the same for each - the location of the sensor bar, or eye, the x y and z co-ordinates of the top of the controller and its angle. I think you are suggesting that the xyz values in the case of arc are accumulated from some starting point. That's just not the case at all. Why on earth would you do that when you can just calculate the x-y location from its position in the camera image? Why did you think they added the ball and camera in the first place? Just to turn around, throw that data away, and try and calculate location relative to a start point using sensor data?

Maybe I misunderstand you, but if that's where you think the data differs - in the 'absoluteness' of the xyz data, then there's no difference at all. In both cases xyz is calculated afresh with each sample relative to their respective sensors (the eye in arc's case, the sensor bar in wii's).

obonicus

Agnates said:

The Wiimote doesn't point where you point, either. They all cheat a bit.

filopilo

Agnates said:

If i'd say i could naturally write this quoted part up there on the screen with the psmote ,would that qualify as pointing capabilities ?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
yoopoo said:
Its a game that can be finished in one sitting...and you'll never play it again. $15 is too much for this, $10 to $8 is a better price for the experience.

It's a 6-hour game. It's worth $30 (considering movie tickets are generally $5 per hour of movie).

Agnates

Banned
filopilo said:
If i'd say i could naturally write this quoted part up there on the screen with the psmote ,would that qualify as pointing capabilities ?
No, I've already talked about that. It was my first comment about the LBP videos, saying they're closer to the writing demo than a lightgun shooter even. It's not pointing. have you tried to shape letters with a laser pointer? Yeah, nowhere near as easy and efficient as that PS3 demo. Pointing isn't good for writing, that demo didn't use pointing.
obonicus said:
The Wiimote doesn't point where you point, either. They all cheat a bit.
It points where you point if there's calibration coded in. I said that already. Lightgun games like Dead Space without calibration are annoying. Games like House of the Dead 2 & 3 or Ghost Squad with calibration are how all should be. Though for FPS games it doesn't matter, since you don't hold the remote up to aim down sights or anything, so the cheating isn't obvious, it feels like pointing anyway. Still, that's a very different defect again, not the same type of issue at all.

Top Bottom