• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

wapplew

I think this is going to be an enthusiast level, premium product. Think more Xbox Elite controller, and less replacement for existing PS4. With that in mind, I'd much rather pay $500 for a PS4K with better hardware than $400 for PS4K with lesser hardware.

You don't want it to be $500 to be honest.
Adoption rate is the key for support, if that thing only sold to handful of enthusiast, no dev going to put much effort to make enhancement for PS4K.

Venom Fox

Banned
You´re doing it again. Only this time you are taking it one step further - why?

Im not implying anything. If it will make you more comfortable I'm happy to PM with a mod if they want to know why I'm questioning it.

So you're claiming you're an insider or have inside information.

Do you work in the industry or have access to contradictory information than is being detailed here?
He's doesn't have anything.

Shame really as I always took your posts seriously and thought they were excellent and always took the time to read what you had to say.

GlamFM

Banned
Just to clarify, I'm not denying that there'll be a "PS4K" or whatever, but I highly doubt it'll work as described in this thread.

I'd understand something like a PS4 with identical performance, but with 4K output support, made possible by just nicely upscaling the games native resolution, whatever that may be, on the PS4Ks better GPU.

Something like that maybe.

But just I can't imagine Sony being so dumb as to think that what basically amounts to a new console generation after 3 measly years will go over well with people.

That´s not what that is though. OP describes precisely that 4K games work on PS4 and vice versa.

He's doesn't have anything.

Shame really as I always took your posts seriously and thought they were excellent and always took the time to read what you had to say.

That´s a bit unfair, really. I do think he knows something, but does not want to share for some reason. He just shouldn´t have teased it.

Sanke__

Adoption rate is the key for support, if that thing only sold to handful of enthusiast, no dev going to put much effort to make enhancement for PS4K.

They will as long as it isn't too difficult and they are already making a PC version anyway

Jhn

This is an awful idea if true though. You're in the extreme minority. Sony has been on point because their message and system has been simple and to the point. Adding a 400$ and a 500$ 3 years later to me is a slap in the face and screams of arrogant Sony. So I don't put it completely beside them. I'm expecting a 400$ PS4K and hopefully they still sell the other PS4 version on top of it as well.

This reflects my own thoughts exactly. It's just such a fucking dick move that I can't make myself believe it.
But as you mention, they do have a bit of a history of intermittent dickery...

That's an interesting question. I suspect the answer will be tied to the success or at least potential this initial 'test' demonstrates.

Let's assume it is successful. The move to x64 and GPU processor families that are closely tied to PC GPU's offers some interesting possibilities. What I could foresee is something similar to how PC and phone games work. It's a sliding scale of compatibility through time.

The nature of the architecture means reverse compatibility is possible for as long as the architectures are evolutionary, and the OS / API's do not change dramatically. Eventually you may reach a point where it's no longer worth it to keep the baggage around, but usually that's over many generations ... and by then the hardware delta is sufficiently powerful that emulation may be possible.

The bigger question here would be forward compatibility. Let's assume that we see something like a 3 year span between hardware releases continuing. As long as they keep forward comparability for one generation (ie. PS4K and PS4 ... then PS5 and PS4K ... etc), you're guaranteed games for 6 years on any given console.

So fundamentally a console would last as long as at always has, but with the ability of a user to get better graphics along the way. And unlike with phones and PC's, developers will only ever be targeting two locked hardware skus for a given title build ... unlike the myriad configurations the former necessitates.

Yes, yes, that's it, exactly. You've put the case far better than I have been, and more succinctly.

OsirisBlack

Banned
do be careful though, so they're not sending out false info to catch the leaker (even if you confirm other people have that info, it could be they're in the same "cluster" of false info right?)

Wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

Which is why I was hesitant to post but this isn't just info I'm getting from our side also so its out there just not at store level.

Time from announce to release should be pretty short just long enough for preorders to be taken. There is a store date which is close to OGPS4 release date but before Christmas. HD 500gb (guessing pricing factor) The actual unit is smaller than OG PS4. No SKU for PSVR bundle (yet)
also No initial price drop for OG PS4 (probably after the holidays for trade purposes?)

Bish has been PM'd. Just a heads up, hopefully that will satisfy you as to my doubts.

Again not saying Osiris is lying, he may be 100% honest. I just have reason to doubt the info is all. I'm not trying to start anything at all here, or with Osiris. Just trying to figure out the situation.

Hexa

The majority of games have higher settings on PC, so it shouldn't be that difficult to implement. Furthermore, resolution, AA, and frame rate boosts are easy to implement and would be an incredibly solid improvement as well. A couple years later, after its dropped down to $300 is when devs would really start using it, but I think that's fine. You still get the other stuff immediately.

People here are setting themselves up for disappointment. How many of you who are ultra hyped for this were ultra hyped for the PS4 in Feb 2013 after hearing about 8GB RAM and whatnot?

I'm already seeing people in other threads (like the FFXV threads) going "I'm waiting for the inevitable PS4K version where ALL these problems will be fixed!" That's not how it works, and it's the same flawed logic people had about the PS4. Whenever an unreleased, more powerful piece of hardware is announced (or in this case, rumored to be), people everywhere assume it'll be a magical cure-all for all the deficiencies of the current hardware. It wasn't long before it became clear the PS4 wasn't going to be a super powerful machine that could deliver every game at 1080p60. But prior to that the hype was all in people's heads. Never mind the fact that the PS4K hasn't even been formally announced, we have no idea how current-generation software will work now or in the future. So people itching to drop $400+ on another iteration of hardware they already own because they presume they'll play some TBA amount of games better by some TBA metric makes it clear to me that they're gonna be disappointed once again once the reality of console hardware comes crashing down on them again.

Even if the rumors in the OP are true, it won't translate to that much more of a powerful machine. Y'all better get your expectations in check instead of shouting down skeptics.

daman824

Bish has been PM'd. Just a heads up, hopefully that will satisfy you as to my doubts.

Again not saying Osiris is lying, he may be 100% honest. I just have reason to doubt the info is all. I'm not trying to start anything at all here, or with Osiris. Just trying to figure out the situation.
This is stupid, all you have to do is answer the question. Are you an insider or do you have insider information.

Good lord dude, you're like a broken record.

Im not implying anything. If it will make you more comfortable I'm happy to PM with a mod if they want to know why I'm questioning it.

"imply- strongly suggest the truth or existence of"

Wether you want to say it straight up or not, you are STRONGLY implying that you have knowledge that contradicts what the OP has said. At first I thought it just appeared that way, but then you kicked it up a notch by saying you would want a mod to PM you, which is used to verify inside information. Again I'm gonna have to just assume you're choosing your words extremely poorly, otherwise you actually have something.

Venom Fox

Banned

I hope it's enough to satisfy him, honestly, I really do take your posts on NeoGaf highly. I admit my post before was a little harsh but that was only because I have a great amount of respect for you.

Jhn

That´s not what that is though. OP describes precisely that 4K games work on PS4 and vice versa.

We'll have to disagree on that. I'd definitely call it a new generation. Do you disagree only because the same game will work on both the 4K and OG?

I see no major difference between games coming out for multiple generations near console releases (with worse visuals and performance for the older console) and what's going to happen with the new 4K titles.

The only difference here is that the hardware is similar enough for the devs to only have to build for a single architecture, albeit optimized for two different sets of hardware.

Papacheeks

Banned
I do have an honest random tech question if anyone could help me out be much appreciated.

If I don't have a 4k TV, but get the PS4K and if there is let's say 2 configs, will I see more detail, better textures on my regular 1080p display? Or will the config for the PS4 versions be the one that my machine uses if I buy a PS4K?

I hope it's enough to satisfy him, honestly, I really do take your posts on NeoGaf highly. I admit my post before was a little harsh but that was only because I have a great amount of respect for you.

Well thank you and I truly appreciate it. I'm sorry if this was a derail guys, and I don't want this thread to be about me. I just wanted to ask Osiris a few things and they escalated a bit. That's all there really is.

Cheers everyone I won't clog up this thread anymore

OsirisBlack

Banned
Well thank you and I truly appreciate it. I'm sorry if this was a derail guys, and I don't want this thread to be about me. I just wanted to ask Osiris a few things and they escalated a bit. That's all there really is.

Then ask me I posted everything I know I have never gone this far out on a limb but if this is wrong upper management at the three biggest games retailers in America have all been lied to.

I don't think there was anything malicious in what you were saying, again it was just a poor choice of wording. You seemingly doubled down on it. Vague statements like that are a good way to whip up a frenzy.

I think the implications and public perception of "PS5" will be much more confusing to consumers because of the precedent of what the # means in the console space. In the long run, it makes sense. The short term is another issue. PS4K this time, then when people understand the new console model of forwards compatibility, PS5, PS6, etc.

I think we had this conversation earlier, either in this thread or one of the many other OMG PS4.5K Rumour threads.

I think the general feeling (or at least for me) is the focus needs to shift to Playstation as a brand rather than focusing on model numbers. The question then becomes, given time for the sales model to bed itself in, how do consumers know a game is compatible with their system. In 3-6yrs time, when games are no longer compatible with the OG PS4 for instance? I suppose the iOS/PC method of referencing min OS version number for compatibility works?

cormack12

Gold Member
I do have an honest random tech question if anyone could help me out be much appreciated.

If I don't have a 4k TV, but get the PS4K and if there is let's say 2 configs, will I see more detail, better textures on my regular 1080p display? Or will the config for the PS4 versions be the one that my machine uses if I buy a PS4K?

Your TV will scale the resolution to 1080p. You would still benefit from frame rate boosts, better assets and any PP (AA etc.) if I understand it right.

It's also unclear whether we'll have user control of our options.

Which is why I was hesitant to post but this isn't just info I'm getting from our side also so its out there just not at store level.

Time from announce to release should be pretty short just long enough for preorders to be taken. There is a store date which is close to OGPS4 release date but before Christmas. HD 500gb (guessing pricing factor) The actual unit is smaller than OG PS4. No SKU for PSVR bundle (yet)
also No initial price drop for OG PS4 (probably after the holidays for trade purposes?)

Whoa, possibly out this November? That would be pretty cool.

Then ask me I posted everything I know I have never gone this far out on a limb but if this is wrong upper management at the three biggest games retailers in America have all been lied to.

Since you seem to have knowledge about retailers' activities, would you happen to know anything about a new Xbox One iteration or the NX? Figured it's worth asking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ohhh, I'm listening.

dukeoflegs

This kind works well in the purchasing area for myself. Buy first iteration of ps4, buy next iteration of xbox, buy next iteration of Nintendo, and then my the third iteration from Ps4, and repeat. I don't have to worry about buying a bunch of consoles at at once and I always get the feeling of purchasing a new console "generation".

I pretty much asked what I wanted to. And hey, I hope your right on the money :)

I want a PS4.5 quite a bit and would be plenty happy with that spec.

Venom Fox

Banned

Honestly, I really do. There's only a handful of gaffer's who I respect and whose posts I will look at in high regard.

I wonder if anyone here remembers the time that I posted "DM" in the MGSV spoiler thread and I had like 90 replies and 150 PM'S thinking I had inside info lol. People are hungry for info, any info whether it's negative or positive.
Wow, I wonder whether or not UK retail has been briefed as well?

wapplew

Maybe 3 configuration on every title. PS4 at 1080/30, PS4K at 1080/60 and PS4K at 1440 or 4K?/30.
In reality, it will be PS4 at 1080/30 with frame drop, PS4K at 1080/30 stable.

jelly

You need PS4 on the box, end of story. Can't have PS5 game boxes. Sony need to make it seamless and not look like they are dumping the current generation even though that wouldn't be true.

Curufinwe

That's disappointing. I wouldn't buy one that wasn't at least 1TB.

Top Bottom