• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty of Kinda Funny: source says "most developers are not happy with PS4.5"

not happy? Optimization of 2017 games got me like:

tumblr_ne8uw8hA4v1r2amcuo1_500.jpg

Have we forgot how decently powered the PS4 currently is? It can handle 1080/30 fine.

The original 3DS was pretty damn weak, the expectation of an open world 3D game like Xenoblade was always going to be a tall ask.
Yet somehow it's dev managed to get Hyrule Warriors, a native Wii U game, unlike Xenoblade, a Wii game, running on the OG 3DS. But it runs bad, really bad.

And most importantly, that example wasn't about freaking power, it was about games, exclusive to the better hardware. Why do i even have to write this?

MogCakes

People in this thread would have you believe Sony are fucking stupid. They can't afford another PS3. They have a plan. Even if it doesn't pan out how they want I doubt they lose much on this. I doubt anyone loses anything if this doesn't work because at the end of the day you still have a system that plays PS4 games lol.

From a business standpoint it's a relevant question - if it succeeds, it proves the iterative model is lucrative. That's a big thing hinging on this release!

Scrawnton

4K is a thing and has very good adoption. They want a device that complements the millions of 4K TVs that are sold every quarter.

I thought you said you understood the business model earlier.

Hey, if this ends up just being a slim model that only plays 4K blu Rays and upscales games to look acceptable on a 4K tv then I am all for this thing existing. But if it sets a divide between game graphics on ps4 and ps4k, then they went down the wrong road in my opinion.

Alienous

Have we forgot how decently powered the PS4 currently is? It can handle 1080/30 fine.

The original 3DS was pretty damn weak, the expectation of an open world 3D game like Xenoblade was always going to be a tall ask.

The Xbox One can handle 1080/30 fine, but it just so happens the PS4 has become the lead platform; try to get 1080/30 on that, then get it running on the Xbox One, even if you need to dip the resolution.

Handling 1080/30 is relative. If PS4 Neo games target 1080/30, and if developers shift focus to that, then the PS4 is going to have a hard time handling 1080/30. Or, and perhaps more likely, developers maintain the PS4 as the 1080/30 platform, and the PS4 Neo just sees a resolution bump to 1440/30.

Audioboxer

Yet somehow it's dev managed to get Hyrule Warriors, a native Wii U game, unlike Xenoblade, a Wii game, running on the OG 3DS. But it runs bad, really bad.

And most importantly, that example wasn't about freaking power, it was about games, exclusive to the better hardware. Why do i even have to write this?

Well... Genuine hardware weakness for a certain genre (or when that genre requires a lot on screen versus other implementations).

As for power, think of your potential game or genre the PS4 can't handle but PS4k can? We have open world, high based physics, and crazy shit like UC4 right now. I really don't see anything coming in the next few years that cannot be scaled to an experience on PS4/XB1, that otherwise would run as shit as Hyrule Warriors.

The Xbox One can handle 1080/30 fine, but it just so happens the PS4 has become the lead platform; try to get 1080/30 on that, then get it running on the Xbox One, even if you need to dip the resolution.

Handling 1080/30 is relative. If PS4 Neo games target 1080/30, and if developers shift focus to that, then the PS4 is going to have a hard time handling 1080/30. Or, and perhaps more likely, developers maintain the PS4 as the 1080/30 platform, and the PS4 Neo just sees a resolution bump to 1440/30.

PS4 Neo games will be a middle-man in the chain from PS4 to PC port.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hey, if this ends up just being a slim model that only plays 4K blu Rays and upscales games to look acceptable on a 4K tv then I am all for this thing existing. But if it sets a divide between game graphics on ps4 and ps4k, then they went down the wrong road in my opinion.
But you already know it's the latter as well. There is no point in pretending this isn't going to happen to be outraged at a later date.

nib95

Banned
Why should consoles be exempt from offering new tech whole everything else isn't?

Because traditionally console gamers have been a bit more savvy, and are more adverse to getting less value proposition, longevity and primary focus out of their consoles. Hell we used to have consoles at launch that were more state of the art and better subsidised, this time around that never really happened, and instead of pricing dropping at a faster rate, or the console life cycle simply being shorter, instead we get this bullshit iterative nonsense that gives us even less value for money.

Moneal

I'm just going to refer to my previous posts regarding this. Consoles are not the same as other iterative technologies and can't be compared.
This is for the console enthusiast, not the mainstream market . The og ps4 is for the mainstream market. Until the next upgrade and the mainstream market can upgrade to the neo.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You got upset when a new printer model came out a year after your purchase?

Printers cost like under $100 and are a device people rarely use anymore

How often do you upgrade your TV?
What about your car?
What about your PC?
Hell, even your phone if you buy outright (like I do)?

That's a better comparison.

Me personally? I'm fine with this. I buy a new smartphone outright annually. I can afford to upgrade my consoles every 2-3 years. Am I happy about it? Not overly, but that's probably just my old school conditioning of how this industry works.

But the printer comparison is dumb. I can see why people are lidded about this.

Well... Genuine hardware weakness for a certain genre (or when that genre requires a lot on screen versus other implementations).

As for power, think of your potential game or genre the PS4 can't handle but PS4k can? We have open world, high based physics, and crazy shit like UC4 right now. I really don't see anything coming in the next few years that cannot be scaled to an experience on PS4/XB1.
Like Hyrule Warriors was "scaled to an experience" on OG 3DS? Come on. Devs get a pretty good GPU upgrade, you think they won't find things to use this for? Please.

Which games?

Eh, I'm not a fan of list wars but I'll bite. Not that I'm saying this is objectively a better selection of games. I've simply been more satisfied with this:

Resogun
InFAMOUS: Second Son
Driveclub
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted 4 (to be fair, it's not out yet....I guess it's possible I won't love it)

Over what Nintendo's offered on Wii U. The only three Wii U games I've truly loved are Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, and Splatoon. In fairness though, I LOVE these three games and the system has been worth it for me because of them, despite my overall disappointment in the console.

Welcome to Gaf lol

I know, but I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

What about the devs in this forum saying it's not that big of a headache at all? Should their input be ignored?

Absolutely not, but my argument isn't even that it's a big pain in the ass. Every dev's mileage will vary. My argument is that it IS more money and work, and that is all there is to it.

And my frustration comes from those who are stealthily doing the whole "lazy devs" thing in threads like this. I would love to see some of these people try to get the most simple program up and running, much less something involving 3D graphics. Most on this forum seem to have no understanding of how difficult AAA game development already is these days. It's a small miracle when a team ships a game and there is rarely such a thing as a little more work when it comes to programming in game development. A tiny task can very easily take up a day or more.

Nobody has the right to sit there and say how a developer should feel about this except a developer. And I'm not trying to do that. I'm simply stating common sense things. A second platform is more work, and there will certainly be plenty of devs that don't think it's worth it, as well as plenty that do. But it's more work regardless.

I'm not pushing the same "Sky is falling" narrative that some are. I'm just being realistic.

Scrawnton

But you already know it's the latter as well. There is no point in pretending this isn't going to happen to be outraged at a later date.

Then I personally think they are making a bad move. The PS4 is doing so well despite being underpowered compared to PCs. Why throw a wrench in it?

The ironic thing is that despite this power bump, it's still going to be underpowered compared to PCs. I just don't get why? I want Sony to give us a good reason as to why this exists.

It wouldn't surprise me that devlopers aren't happy, especially if the NX is reasonable and viable and Microsoft are doing the same.

They went from potentially 4 platforms to deal with, to 6. Whether or not the development enivornment for the PS4K and XB1.5 are the same or not, it's different hardware which will need to be handled differently.

The ability to play the games on the two versions also means they're optimising a game for two platforms, but for the price of one game.

Goron2000

best junior ever
And I'm saying if you are right then Knack won't run well on PS4K. It's either or here. You can't have both things being true.

I was mostly talking about the development process. You raise a good point though and I hadn't considered how that works, so with that I think i'm going to stop fighting the good fight and wait to hear how this thing actually works before rearing my head.

nib95

Banned
This is for the console enthusiast, not the mainstream market . The og ps4 is for the mainstream market. Until the next upgrade and the mainstream market can upgrade to the neo.

This will delay the release of the next proper console, and is also likely to negatively affect vanilla users due to less development focus and shared priority. In that sense, whilst it may be aimed at enthusiasts, it affects everyone. The OP indirectly highlights that.

hesido

Just ignore it's existence? It's not like games developed exclusively for old PS4 will need any kind of patch to work properly, that would be suicidal of Sony.

I guess you can't ignore its existence and your game at least has to come with a NEO specific profile. From Giant Bomb thread:
Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

Nib95's posts generally reflect my sentiments exactly, although he probably does a better job of explaining things than me.

Consoles are not phones. They never have been and they never will be. They are ancillary devices for hobbyists and enthusiasts, not a borderline essential part of our day to day lives.

You know a better comparison for consoles? Televisions. BluRay players. Shit most people don't upgrade on every three years and would be pissed if they were asked to. People were pissed when they were asked to upgrade from fucking DVD after nearly 10 years.

OK. I want to emphatically note that I'm neither for nor against the release of the PS4K upgrade. The word I would use to describe my feelings towards it would be "ambivalence." I think it could be a neat option for people who want more horsepower. I think it could needlessly segment the audience. I also think it could wind up being a waste of time in that it might only receive token support and never realize its potential. I honestly don't know what to expect.

But having said that, I also don't think these comparisons are very apt. You're correct. You don't need to upgrade your TV every few years. But you also don't need to upgrade here. But if you actually do feel compelled to stay at the bleeding edge of tech, then you might need to upgrade your TV every couple of years. Whether it's due to TVs getting bigger or just more whizbang features getting added every year, or perhaps lower input lag, or better contrast, or... you get the point. I'm just saying that your TV from 4 years ago probably isn't the baddest thing on the block anymore in terms of deciding where this year's super bowl party is going to be. So if you're obsessed with keeping up with the Jonses, then yeah, you probably do need to replace that old set.

But if you're sitting there thinking "I don't care about the new features of the last several years; my old set is perfectly fine," then I think that mindset also applies here.

And I'm just going to close out by trying to reiterate that I'm not one of those FryShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg people that is already sold on this device. If I had to put money on it, my suspicion is that the improvements from upgrading will probably be largely underwhelming. Of course, I might just be saying that as someone who has a pretty decent gaming PC. But I'm just saying that I'm not salivating over the possibility of 4K Uncharted 4. I'm not expecting a whole hell of a lot here.

People in this thread would have you believe Sony are fucking stupid. They can't afford another PS3. They have a plan. Even if it doesn't pan out how they want I doubt they lose much on this. I doubt anyone loses anything if this doesn't work because at the end of the day you still have a system that plays PS4 games lol.

We just witnessed the Vita and the PlayStation TV; why should we assume Sony is smart and always knows what they're doing? They've had plenty of missteps in the past and even in the recent past to not give them a pass on this.

Audioboxer

Printers cost like under $100 and are a device people rarely use anymore

How often do you upgrade your TV?
What about your car?
What about your PC?
Hell, even your phone if you buy outright (like I do)?

That's a better comparison.

Me personally? I'm fine with this. I buy a new smartphone outright annually. I can afford to upgrade my consoles every 2-3 years. Am I happy about it? Not overly, but that's probably just my old school conditioning of how this industry works.

But the printer comparison is dumb. I can see why people are lidded about this.

Any comparison is dumb really, as I like others admit console owners aren't used to this. Some of the outrage is going into whacky territory though of somehow saying devs won't be able to make games run on the consoles they've been working with for 3 years for all types of genres. I mean guys, it's not that big a performance jump. Nothing like what we'll have when we still have the cross-gen PS4/PS5 games in a few years.

Like Hyrule Warriors was "scaled to an experience" on OG 3DS? Come on. Devs get a pretty good GPU upgrade, you think they won't find things to use this for? Please.

Finding things to use the extra power for is not the same as imaging PS4 original copies of games running at Hyrule Warriors 10FPS. They already find things to use the PCs extra power from in PC ports, and it tends to be higher detailed textures, better lighting and better physics. Doesn't mean a PS4 game can't do 1080p/30FPS scaled back from it's PC version.

TyrantII

Only motive I can think of for this is move is that it is an attempt by Sony to make this generation, that they dominate, last as long possible. Neither the consumers or the developers asked for this.

P S V R

It's not like there isn't some game changing new tech being tinkered and pushed by multiple developers.

When it comes down to it, the PS4 is not well position to put Sony in the middle of what might be the next gaming revolution. It's too early for the PS5.

PS4K is absolutely a stop-gap to insure PSVR had a market share in VR. It's really the only reason it make sense to possibly alienate their current users.

Like kinect / MS before, Sony feels this is something they absolutely need to push into to be relevant in the future. Time will tell of its the right call.

Personally I don't think they're planning on up ending the console cycle. Instead, the pace of VR tech maturing forced their hand to push a half measure because they wernt expecting to need a console capable of it untill PS5 was ready to go.

I am not seeing how this is that big a deal. The architecture should be pretty much the same as the current PS4...You already have a PC space where you aim for a variety of specs. I just don't see how this is a big deal. The thing is, they should make these fricking consoles upgradeable. I want seperate systems for games and work, but I want to be able to upgrade my system. I also want to play Sony games, so PC is out of the question.

TM94

No shit.

It must be so difficult and stressful anyway being a dev, now you've got another system to make games for alongside the original PS4, Xbox One and Xbox One.5, maybe NX and obviously PC.

It's going to be a lot more work for these devs, and that's going to be draining especially for smaller teams

Ray Down

Banned
Which can be seen as a good thing for devs, seeing as how costs grow significantly with each gen, while the audience for such products is not growing as quickly.

True, plus with both consoles on x86 both consoles should be forwards and backwards compatible now.

nib95

Banned
Which can be seen as a good thing for devs, seeing as how costs grow significantly with each gen, while the audience for such products is not growing as quickly.

Not at all, because in the middle of that they're still going to have to develop for more systems. That's the whole point of the OP and developer sentiment towards this potential release.

What about the devs in this forum saying it's not that big of a headache at all? Should their input be ignored?

Lets be honest though. Not every dev is going to have the same issues to deal with. I think the ones who are going to be the most upset by this are the ones are the AAA developers who already have stupid deadlines they need to meet in order to pump out whatever favorite sequel everyone wants. Games where it'll take extensive testing because just lowering settings on one version doesn't guarantee that the framerate will be acceptable during moments of gameplay where you have 100s of enemies on screen etc and they'll have to make other tweaks here and there.

Watching this Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS/New3DS comparison feels like looking into the future.

Its amazing how many people used hyrule warriors legends working on both 3ds versions as a defense to not worry about the ps4k. That video does not inspire confidence at all.

Not at all, because in the middle of that they're still already having to develop for more systems. That's the whole point of the OP and developer sentiment towards this potential release.

Small cost increases for a mid-cycle upgrade versus very large cost increases for the next generation, particularly if native 4K is the thing at that point.

Not sure you're thinking this through.

True, plus with both consoles on x86 both consoles should be forwards and backwards compatible now.

Well, everyone would win with this if it works out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Only motive I can think of for this is move is that it is an attempt by Sony to make this generation, that they dominate, last as long possible. Neither the consumers or the developers asked for this.

I see consumers and devs asking for more power all the time. Every generation. ;)

A 1080/30FPS Neo game will be 1080/30FPS because the devs put textures on high, physics on high, and lighting on high.

A 1080/30FPS original PS4 game will be 1080/30FPS because the devs put textures on medium, physics on medium and lighting on medium.

It's not rocket science.

And they are not Nintendo. People don't want us using tech (TV/Cell Phones) to compare (one of which, Sony, that makes other said tech advancing products), but want to compare Nintendo of all companies to the other two.

Audioboxer

Watching this Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS/New3DS comparison feels like looking into the future.

The best case scenario for this seems to be PS4 Neo games sticking to a resolution boost over 1080p. A 1080/30 PS4 Neo game is going to mean a rough experience for people who haven't upgraded.

A 1080/30FPS Neo game will be 1080/30FPS because the devs put textures on high, physics on high, and lighting on high.

A 1080/30FPS original PS4 game will be 1080/30FPS because the devs put textures on medium, physics on medium and lighting on medium.

It's not rocket science. A bump like this gives you prettier graphics, it doesn't cause the PS4 to implode and be unable to run games like it has for 3 years. My brain can't even comprehend how we're comparing this to the 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors.

P S V R

It's not like there isn't some game changing new tech being tinkered and pushed by multiple developers.

When it comes down to it, the PS4 is not well position to put Sony in the middle of what might be the next gaming revolution. It's too early for the PS5.

PS4K is absolutely a stop-gap to insure PSVR had a market share in VR. It's really the only reason it make sense to possibly alienate their current users.

Like kinect / MS before, Sony feels this is something they absolutely need to push into to be relevant in the future. Time will tell of its the right call.

Personally I don't think they're planning on up ending the console cycle. Instead, the pace of VR tech maturing forced their hand to push a half measure because they wernt expecting to need a console cabible of it untill PS5 was ready to go.

This is exactly what I think as well. I don't actually believe this would be happening right now if not for their VR push and that is the one reason I think this may be the right move.

I want VR to get traction quickly and Sony absolutely has the best chance of making that happen, but the current PS4 just isn't ready for it. They need this spec bump.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Please double our QC time" said no dev.

It just seems like a bum deal all round.

Alienous

It's not rocket science.

I don't think the history of platform power differences agree with you. That's more effort than what typically happens if you compare a PS4 and Xbox One release, which usually just comes down to a resolution difference. Optimizing a game to run 1080/30 with different graphical features on a different platform is more work.

Morts

The best case scenario for this seems to be PS4 Neo games sticking to a resolution boost over 1080p. A 1080/30 PS4 Neo game is going to mean a rough experience for people who haven't upgraded.

What's the point of the Hyrule Warriors comparison? That game would still run like shit on 3DS even if the New 3DS didn't exist. I don't see why Neo would make games run worse on base PS4 than they would otherwise. Unless you're in the "lazy devs" camp, then I don't know what to say.

You're playing the best version of them on that platform.

Again, let me remind people of the Xbox 360 Arcade/Core. Treated the HDD as optional. Allowed MS to market the arcade/core as budget while pushing the HDD version to enthusiasts.

How did that work out?

Its also a prime example of an option having wider ramification on the platform as a whole, and not just arcade/core owners, as developers had to design their games to account for players without hard drives. Indie games also had hard size caps because of it.
Fucking thank you, finally someone realizes these problems don't exist in a vacuum.

Boke1879

Not at all, because in the middle of that they're still going to have to develop for more systems. That's the whole point of the OP and developer sentiment towards this potential release.

What about all the cross gen games that released at the start of this gen? Were people concerned with all the work that needed to be done to get those games out?

I can imagine. They have to do double work now. Optimize their game as much as they can so it can run properly on the og PS4 and now optimize as well so it can run and look even better on the PS4K. Sounds like hellish amounts of work now. : /

Well there doing the samething right now. the gpu in ps4k already runs ps4 games much better on pc. I don't see how this is that much work

Alienous

What's the point of the Hyrule Warriors comparison? That game would still run like shit on 3DS even if the New 3DS didn't exist. I don't see why Neo would make games run worse on base PS4 than they would otherwise. Unless you're in the "lazy devs" camp, then I don't know what to say.

My point with the Hyrule Warriors comparison is that it exists. You can see an example where a developer creates a game that utilizes a particular piece of more powerful hardware, and due to the game also having to run on a less powerful piece of hardware you get a game that runs badly and attempts more than the hardware is capable of.

Audioboxer

I don't think the history of platform power differences agree with you. That's more effort than what typically happens if you compare a PS4 and Xbox One release, which usually just comes down to a resolution difference. Optimizing a game to run 1080/30 with different graphical features on a different platform is more work.

Yeah it is and it's what the devs may well be grumbling about. If Sony launch this though the devs will either have to adapt or simply not really take advantage of Neo specs. If they do the later it doesn't mean the original PS4 copy is somehow gimped. It runs the same as it would if Neo was simply a dream.

And going by all the evidence we have so far, the PS4 can do 1080/30 fine, or 900/60 fine. This will continue.

My point with the Hyrule Warriors comparison is that it exists. You can see an example where a developer creates a game that utilizes a particular piece of more powerful hardware, and due to the game also having to run on a less powerful piece of hardware you get a game that runs badly and attempts more than the hardware is capable of.

What is the PS4 not capable of today, that PS4 Neo is going to remedy? That is my point. We have every genre imaginable and they all either hit one of the two targets I said above.

The only thing it is genuinely going to remedy that may well need it, is the future of VR support.

nib95

Banned
Small cost increases for a mid-cycle upgrade versus very large cost increases for the next generation, particularly if native 4K is the thing at that point.

Not sure you're thinking this through.

I don't think you're thinking this through, and completely ignoring the OP, which is about developer sentiment. If you were right, developers wouldn't be annoyed about this.

That next proper console jump is still coming, it's only going to come a year or two later now, but publishers are also going to have to worry about developing for more iterative systems in the meantime. It's extra unnecessary headache, cost, consideration and effort, which is no doubt why most developers are unhappy about it.

Also, who's to say costs will be so large moving forward to the next proper generational jump? That really is down to the studio in question, and the amount they're willing to invest. Many studios likely won't develop entirely new or bespoke engines, and others will only improve or develop ones they already have. A lot of the engines being developed this time around are more future proof than in the past, and I don't think the jump in costs will be as radical as you make out.

Top Bottom