• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

mintylurb

Alex said:
Yeah, the loading is always extremely tiny. It's just a little gap to allow a zone refresh really, it's a game design bit rather than a technical deficiency.
That maybe the case but I do wish it was handled in a more seamless way. Anyway, I bought the endless ocean 2/wii speak bundle, from gamestop no less.. just so I can use wii speak with this game. I hope this game will keep me entertained for a while.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What's the difference between the CC Pro and regular CC in terms of usability? I already own a CC and I would like to use that.

mintylurb

Y2Kev said:
What's the difference between the CC Pro and regular CC in terms of usability? I already own a CC and I would like to use that.
31F6gVpDgSL._SS400_.jpg

41UweVbfiKL._SS500_.jpg

CC pro looks more comfy to grip..and more space between 2 analog stix..

gotee12

Finally beat Quru.
Used the hammer to smash his bill/horn to keep him from healing.
Thanx for that game winning tip Gaf! :D

Hiltz

What else can you generally break off of a monster's body ? I've seen tails and body horns/spikes get cut off in gameplay videos and you just mentioned that you can smash in their beaks/bills.

By the way, I haven't cut off anything from either of the featured monsters in the demo. They usually just end up limping away by the time their almost dead. I usually just try to attack them from the side or the back so it lessens the chance that I'll get hit by their face or knocked down.

gotee12

Question...

In the final game when you kill a monster, do you have more than 10 seconds to carve the monster? In the demo as soon as the monster falls dead, I only get about 10 seconds to carve before the quest ends. Usually I'm surround my little jaggi or felynes that are attacking me and I can't get a carve in within the 10 seconds...

gotee12

Hiltz said:
I usually just try to attack them from the side or the back so it lessens the chance that I'll get hit by their face or knocked down.
I had to memorize Quru's attacks so that I knew when I had time to get a few hits in on his face. I definitely couldn't just stand in front of him and wail away at him. The good thing is that if I'd properly connect the first two hits or so to his head, he'd fall and then I could score a few more knocks in before I'd run...

wsippel

Banned
gotee12 said:
Question...

In the final game when you kill a monster, do you have more than 10 seconds to carve the monster? In the demo as soon as the monster falls dead, I only get about 10 seconds to carve before the quest ends. Usually I'm surround my little jaggi or felynes that are attacking me and I can't get a carve in within the 10 seconds...
You usually have one minute to carve. More than sufficient.

markatisu

Y2Kev said:

The CC Pro is more comfortable and imho easier to use if you are coming from a PS3/XBox 360 background.

However I can play MHG Wii and MHTri with the regular CC just fine, if you already own one you can play the game with ease

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
The CC Pro is more comfortable and imho easier to use if you are coming from a PS3/XBox 360 background.

However I can play MHG Wii and MHTri with the regular CC just fine, if you already own one you can play the game with ease

Hmm.. I have the pro bundle pre ordered but honestly the regular CC is working just fine for the demo. I might just get the regular game

pakkit

Banned
I tried out the demo today. As a virgin to the MH franchise, I really like watching the animals naturalistic behavior. This kind of feels like a mix of Endless Ocean and Shadow of the Collosus with some good ol' RPG grinding. The graphics do look a little flatter than I had hoped...but the animals/monsters definitely impress. I'm not regretting my preorder, even though I've failed to beat a single quest. :lol

I pre-ordered the game a few days ago just because I thought the game sounded really interesting and looked amazing. The $5 off/500 points bonus really motivated me as well. I had no idea what to expect when I popped in the demo. Honestly, lurking in Monster Hunter 3 threads is the most experience I had with the series. I decided to play the longsword character first. My first mission was more awkward than I would've imagined. I beat the mission in acceptable time without fainting but the long sword just felt too sluggish.

I moved on to the standard sword and shield for my next mission and fortunately nullified most of my worries about myself not enjoying the final game. It was only until I played with the light gun though did I really get into the demo and start craving the final product. I love the choices and strategy which come with the wide assortment of ammunition you're given. The buckshot ammo the light gunner has makes taking down the hordes of small monsters so much more enjoyable especially compared to heavy close range weapons.

From what I gathered here, I will be crafting my own guns in the full game. How much control do I have when it comes to making guns that can carry more rounds per load? I think I noticed there seems to be a difference between the light/medium/heavy gunners as to how many rounds of a certain ammo one can fire before having to reload. Could anybody please explain? The reason I ask is because I like ammo types where I don't have to reload after every shot I take.

Lenardo

Banned
yep the 2nd quest the mob will call either the mob from the first quest OR the dragon...

dung bomb to the face= dragon flying off (usually)

Tenbatsu

Alex said:
I believe there is a free area connected to the town in Tri (this wasn't in MH1 or 2) but I'm not sure. But it's largely the latter. You're sent to a base camp in a particular ecosystem (although when you start ranking up they dump you in the wilderness with no supplies other than what you own personally)
Yes there is one, Moga forest but only in offline mode.

botticus said:
How much health do they generally have left once they start limping?
About less than 10% I think.

Hiltz said:
What else can you generally break off of a monster's body ? I've seen tails and body horns/spikes get cut off in gameplay videos and you just mentioned that you can smash in their beaks/bills.
It depends on the individual monsters. For example there are 2 parts for Qurupeco, 5 parts for Lagiacrus. Usually you will have to break those parts in order to get rare items for making your armors/weapons.

Chopper Dave said:
From what I gathered here, I will be crafting my own guns in the full game. How much control do I have when it comes to making guns that can carry more rounds per load? I think I noticed there seems to be a difference between the light/medium/heavy gunners as to how many rounds of a certain ammo one can fire before having to reload. Could anybody please explain? The reason I ask is because I like ammo types where I don't have to reload after every shot I take.
You can actually mix and match the weapon parts in the retail game. There will be a frame, a barrel and a stock. A weight of 29 and below will be a light bow, 30 - 70 will be a middle bow and 70 up will be a heavy bow.

Eg. If you wanna carry more normal bullets lvl 2, you can actually find:
Frame with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 +3
Barrel with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3
Stock with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3

From there, you will have 9 normal bullets which you can fire before a reload. You can also equip skills like 'normal bullet up' thru armor combination which increase the amount by 3 more. However thats a limit to how many each bullets type a gun can hold.

Tenbatsu said:
You can actually mix and match the weapon parts in the retail game. There will be a frame, a barrel and a stock. A weight of 29 and below will be a light bow, 30 - 70 will be a middle bow and 70 up will be a heavy bow.

Eg. If you wanna carry more normal bullets lvl 2, you can actually find:
Frame with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 +3
Barrel with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3
Stock with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3

From there, you will have 9 normal bullets which you can fire before a reload. You can also equip skills like 'normal bullet up' thru armor combination which increase the amount by 3 more. However thats a limit to how many each bullets type a gun can hold.

Thanks Tenbatsu. Your explanation is exactly what I wanted to hear :D I can't wait to start the real deal.

MiniDitka said:
I don't think I like dragons anymore :lol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhrmq7jRbbY

This happened to me more times than I care to recall but I got such a good laugh when it first happened. It's just embarrassing getting curb stomped by your prey :lol

Tenbatsu

Eteric Rice said:
From what I understand, the demo is only at 360p. The full game is 480p.
Nope. The Japanese version is also 360P 16:9, 480P 4:3. Only MHG Wii is 480P for both.

Monster Hunter G
v

upandaway

I guess I was really lucky because in the 6-7 times I tried going at Quru he always summoned Jaggi.

Man, I didn't even know he can summon the other guy. Now I won't stop trying until I beat him in that situation.

ravien56

I hate Canada sometimes. I preordered the bundle and still no word of a demo. I'm seriously considering hacking my wii so I can play the demo.

sammy

Tenbatsu said:
Nope. The Japanese version is also 360P 16:9, 480P 4:3. Only MHG Wii is 480P for both.

Monster Hunter G
v

hmmmm, didn't know that. I never noticed on the import, it all looks crystal clear more so than most Wii titles. has anyone tried the 480p 4:3??

ShinNL

gotee12 said:
That's my guess. He did leave "dolphin" in the video title.
Ah, at least he's not trying to hide that then. There's 16:59 time left according to the quest message at the end, so I don't think the emulator is really doing it's job right ._.

gotee12

Soneet said:
Ah, at least he's not trying to hide that then. There's 16:59 time left according to the quest message at the end, so I don't think the emulator is really doing it's job right ._.
Yep. If you watch the clock in the top left corner, you can see something is not right time-wise (between the 1st and 2nd vids). Though it could be a rom hack within the emulator to goober up the clock and give him more time. I'd love to have that option...

edit: I rescind my previous statement. The time matches up pretty closely if you simply add the time of the two vids together.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I went to Gamestop to pick up the demo; I ended up pre-ordering Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, Super Mario Galaxy 2, the Wii Speak bundle of Monster Hunter 3 tri-, and a Pikachu-adorned stylus. Tenbatsu, you are paying for my meals from now on.

I gotta say, the poster/guide that comes with the demo is pretty darn neat.

Zzoram said:
so the game is 360p, does it look obviously better with component cables? how does it look on HDTVs?
Funny you should ask. I ordered some component cables friday because i realized i didnt own any for my Wii. Ive noticed a much sharper game than when i was playing it before. It seems like a great looking game for the Wii, however its the style/detail that is the best part of the graphics so far for me. I imagine the 480p looks even better in the full game.

Zzoram

kafka rock opera said:
Funny you should ask. I ordered some component cables friday because i realized i didnt own any for my Wii. Ive noticed a much sharper game than when i was playing it before. It seems like a great looking game for the Wii, however its the style/detail that is the best part of the graphics so far for me. I imagine the 480p looks even better in the full game.

I thought people were saying the full game is still 360p?

My HDTV only has 1 component input, so it's either the 360 or the Wii at a given moment, not both. Since my 360 gpu is artifacting, and it's out of warranty, I guess the Wii finally steals the primary inputs now.

Zzoram said:
I thought people were saying the full game is still 360p?

My HDTV only has 1 component input, so it's either the 360 or the Wii at a given moment, not both. Since my 360 gpu is artifacting, and it's out of warranty, I guess the Wii finally steals the primary inputs now.
hmm well i could be wrong but i was under the impression that the demo is just 360p but the full game is 480p. Anyhow im digging my cables i got from monoprice for under 10 bucks. Monoprice cant be beat.

Zzoram

kafka rock opera said:
hmm well i could be wrong but i was under the impression that the demo is just 360p but the full game is 480p. Anyhow im digging my cables i got from monoprice for under 10 bucks. Monoprice cant be beat.

I have a set of those cables that I never used. I guess I'll use them with MH3.

botticus

Hooray, I beat Jaggi on my second try with Sword and Shield, though I'm not really sure how. I didn't even see him limping, though other than the first time he ran to a different area, I had him cornered by attacking while he was resting. Still died twice while learning to make use of my shield (dazed him once), but evade is still neglected.

I really hope the scavenging part in the full game is less annoying... I had an opportunity to hit A over the corpse twice before the quest ended, and both times I was smacked around by a little Jaggi preventing me from getting anything. :p

Akai

botticus said:
I really hope the scavenging part in the full game is less annoying... I had an opportunity to hit A over the corpse twice before the quest ended, and both times I was smacked around by a little Jaggi preventing me from getting anything. :p

You think predators are just going to stand there and watch you? Obviously you need to get rid of any "bystanders" before doing any collecting... :lol

botticus

Akai said:
You think predators are just going to stand there and watch you? Obviously you need to get rid of any "bystanders" before doing any collecting... :lol
Well, right, but I couldn't have even killed the little guy before the time expired in this instance.

Akai

botticus said:
Well, right, but I couldn't have even killed the little guy before the time expired in this instance.

Ah, I see what you are saying. The instant finish is just for the demo (since you don't need the monster's goodies now anyway)...

I played unite again on my psp last night which only reignited my hatred of that fucking blur in tri. I'd give a nut to turn that off in the menu knowing I will be playing this game for hundreds if hours.

So specifically, is the resolution 640x360 in 16:9 instead of the normal stretched 640x480 in 16:9?

Maybe that res is not as clear, but should automatically have less jaggies and be less "muddy" or something. Stretched pixels are yucky.

Top Bottom