• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Eteric Rice

evangd007 said:
Just picked up the demo. I like what I've played. Killed the first guy three times (sword/shield, longsword, and greatsword). Tried the quropeco twice but ran out of time. I just can't prevent the damn dragon from being summoned, forcing me to zone out until he leaves. Does raw meat actually lure monsters from other zones? Or am I doing something wrong?

This. I could probably kill the frog neck guy if it weren't for this bullshit right here.

I got the demo today. Walked into my local gamestop and asked for the demo outright, they tried to pull the "must preorder" bull crap. So I got back in my car, drove a few miles to another gamestop and they had the Demos stacked on the counter. I gladly took one and preordered at that location.

Anyways, way cooler than the japanese demo. I was glad to use my trusty longsword again and I loved the new sidestep slices they added. My MHFU training must have paid off, I can do both missions without using a single potion. I can't seem to kill Rathian and am wondering if it's even possible within the time limit. I can lob off his tail, smash in his head, and one time I even had him limping, but I always run out of time.

It makes me excited for the games launch.

Lenardo

Banned
evangd007 said:
Just picked up the demo. I like what I've played. Killed the first guy three times (sword/shield, longsword, and greatsword). Tried the quropeco twice but ran out of time. I just can't prevent the damn dragon from being summoned, forcing me to zone out until he leaves. Does raw meat actually lure monsters from other zones? Or am I doing something wrong?

use the dung bomb

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I can't seem to kill Rathian and am wondering if it's even possible within the time limit. I can lob off his tail, smash in his head, and one time I even had him limping, but I always run out of time.
Its possible.

Poyunch

Eteric Rice said:
This. I could probably kill the frog neck guy if it weren't for this bullshit right here.
If you throw a dung bomb at a wyvern-type monster. Since both of these monsters are wyverns you won't have to worry about distinguishing which monster to throw the dung at. It will just be a matter of preference over which monster you want to leave.

-Mikey-

I've been watching youtube videos of the demo. Haven't played MH in over 2 years since my PSP was stolen : / I'm can't wait for this to come out, looks beautiful!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
upandaway said:
Wait I don't get it, what does the dung bomb do?
They say if the monster (I have heard Rathalos in specific) hasn't seen you yet, it can make the monster leave the zone. They also say it can make khezu lose you and attack in random areas, but I have yet to try either method.

kafka rock opera said:
I watched a video where some dude killed the jaggi and quropeco in the same time limit. It made me feel like a bitch. In other news great hammer owns.

I just did that tonight.. still haven't killed the rathian though...

Hiltz

I hear that the game may also support dedicated servers. At least, it seems to be confirmed for the PAL version.

I noticed that some little creature stole one of my items during a battle. Can you kill those guys ?

Hiltz said:
I hear that the game may also support dedicated servers. At least, it seems to be confirmed for the PAL version.

I noticed that some little creature stole one of my items during a battle. Can you kill those guys ?

hit them and you get the item back. they don't really "die" but they do leave by digging into the ground. ps: they are little cat people called felynes

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, I am even worse than I expected :lol

Very addicting though, and I'm starting to get the hang of it (can beat the 1st quest with the LS consistently..nothing else, but I'll keep plugging away).

I already had this pre-ordered online, but I needed to get the demo anyway to see if I can justify spending the money. I didn't bother asking if they were free since they were just sitting on the counter at Gamestop. If they were gonna give me shit for taking one, I was gonna lay down the logic on those fuckers anyway. :lol

I kinda liked the Wiimote+nunchuk combo and I struggled a bit with CC1. CC2 is where it's at. It's pretty much the only control scheme I'm used to since I used to play my friend's MH1 5 or so years ago.

In terms of weapons, I'm liking the Long Sword the best. My friend told me I would since he said it's kinda like the Great Sword in terms of design, but faster. I've used S&S many times before so it didn't feel that special, but it's reliable. I also like the Hammer, despite its short range. I need to put more time in the Lance and Great Sword and I still need to try out the Bowguns before I form an opinion on those.

thefro

Beat the Quropeco finally after a couple tries with the LS. Had tried some other weapons on it, but I like the Longsword so far best. Luckily haven't ran into him summoning the big dragon.

Figured out the camera issue I was having... only L/R change it but hitting up or down changes the viewpoint.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
BioGenesis said:
hit them and you get the item back. they don't really "die" but they do leave by digging into the ground. ps: they are little cat people called felynes

Aren't the ones that steal called Melynx?

upandaway

Woo! Beat Quru!

I used the Long Sword too. Turns out all I really needed to do was use a whetstone once in a while, and I got him just under the time limit (about one minute left). I crushed his horn, too.

Still, I did very, very badly. He hit me a lot and I used tons of potions. However! I never fainted, and I was pretty good at finding room for potions and whetstones. I also only ate one medium steak.

It's really surprising how easy to use the Long Sword is... I don't think I'll choose it. I'll try beating Quru with the Switch Axe. I probably won't be able to do it with the S&S in time.
With the Switch Axe, I feel I will never be bored of the game. With the Long Sword however, I have to question just how far it can go in my hands.

I also found out the hard way that you have 3 continues with dying. It makes much more sense now. I was confused as to why dying only means losing half a minute.

What else... I tried the Hammer on Jaggi, this time with the knowledge that I can charge. I find the stamina price to be pretty cheap, and I charged almost every single one of my attacks. Needless to say I love the Hammer a whole lot more now, and if I ever do a new character in the game, this is the weapon I'll choose.

For now, I'll try to get better and better times, especially on Quru now that I got Jaggi under 5 minutes with the Hammer.
I never expected to like the game this much, and this is just a demo. I think it will compliment Pokemon a lot in my daily gaming route.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is this how the real game loads? Where you enter a path, and then LOAD... then your transported to another area. Almost like the old Final Fantasies?

If so.... not liking that...

And is there usually towns in Monster Hunter? And can you just go off and explorer areas, or are you sent to areas when choosing quests... kinda like Phantasy Star?

Alex

I also found out the hard way that you have 3 continues with dying. It makes much more sense now. I was confused as to why dying only means losing half a minute.

Information in advance: it's the same in online, 3 deaths overall (not per person).

ren't the ones that steal called Melynx?

Yes

Is this how the real game loads? Where you enter a path, and then LOAD... then your transported to another area. Almost like the old Final Fantasies?

Each ecosystem is busted up to a dozen or so non-linear "zones", you load between each zone due to the fact that they alter between passthrough, have dynamic elements, monster pathing, etc

And is there usually towns in Monster Hunter? And can you just go off and explorer areas, or are you sent to areas when choosing quests... kinda like Phantasy Star?

I believe there is a free area connected to the town in Tri (this wasn't in MH1 or 2) but I'm not sure. But it's largely the latter. You're sent to a base camp in a particular ecosystem (although when you start ranking up they dump you in the wilderness with no supplies other than what you own personally)

Skiesofwonder

Alex said:
Information in advance: it's the same in online, 3 deaths overall (not per person).

Yes

Each ecosystem is busted up to a dozen or so non-linear "zones", you load between each zone due to the fact that they alter between passthrough, have dynamic elements, monster pathing, etc

I believe there is a free area connected to the town in Tri (this wasn't in MH1 or 2) but I'm not sure. But it's largely the latter. You're sent to a base camp in a particular ecosystem (although when you start ranking up they dump you in the wilderness with no supplies other than what you own personally)

hmmm.... This will take some getting use to....

upandaway

I put the demo on the USB Loader and the loading doesn't disturb me at all. It's seriously one blink of an eye between each territory.

Skiesofwonder

upandaway said:
I put the demo on the USB Loader and the loading doesn't disturb me at all. It's seriously one blink of an eye between each territory.

It's not the length... just the way it is done. Makes the parts of the ecosystem's seem disconnected. Like your in one area.... load..... then pop up in a completely different area.

Not a huge deal.... but not something I like either.

I was also hoping for some exploration. After reading a lot about the series and playing the demo though, I'm starting to think it's 100% fighting. Is this true Neogaf? No exploration?

Raelson

Skiesofwonder said:
It's not the length... just the way it is done. Makes the parts of the ecosystem's seem disconnected. Like your in one area.... load..... then pop up in a completely different area.

I was also hoping for some exploration. After reading a lot about the series and playing the demo though, I'm starting to think it's 100% fighting. Is this true Neogaf? No exploration?

There is exploring to some degree. You'll need to gather materials for armor and weapons. Don't know if i'd really call that exploring but it's not all fighting.

Skiesofwonder

Raelson said:
There is exploring to some degree. You'll need to gather materials for armor and weapons. Don't know if i'd really call that exploring but it's not all fighting.

So kinda like Phantasy Star Online? Little exploration and lots of fighting to get stronger? Ok, I'm cool with that. As long as I know that before going in. I loved Phantasy Star Online afterall.

Alex

Yeah, the loading is always extremely tiny. It's just a little gap to allow a zone refresh really, it's a game design bit rather than a technical deficiency.

Freedom Unite on the PSP also had ridiculously fast loading all around if you toggled on the options for it. Lots of pre-caching and streaming laid out as options depending on if you're running on battery or AC adapter.

It might cause a disconnect with some people, but as of lately, the whole "huge, streaming world" gig doesn't impress me much and I dislike what it does to game design.

Lots of running around, exploring, gathering, crafting. It's split about 50/50 with the hunting but if you're expecting some big seamless world then no, the design is quite insular.

Yeah, the loading is always extremely tiny. It's just a little gap to allow a zone refresh really, it's a game design bit rather than a technical deficiency.

Freedom Unite on the PSP also had ridiculously fast loading all around if you toggled on the options for it. Lots of pre-caching and streaming laid out as options depending on if you're running on battery or AC adapter.

Lots of running around, exploring, gathering, crafting. It's split about 50/50 with the hunting but if you're expecting some big seamless world then no, the design is quite insular.

So kinda like Phantasy Star Online? Little exploration and lots of fighting to get stronger? Ok, I'm cool with that. As long as I know that before going in. I loved Phantasy Star Online afterall.

Nothing like PSO. PSO was all fighting, all linear, no gathering, no exploring, no crafting. The similarities end between being 4-player RPGs.

Demons Souls is really the only thing I can ever think to compare it with, even though it's still exceedingly different from that.

upandaway

Skiesofwonder said:

Huh. For such an intense/competitive experience it is, I focus entirely on functionality. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Rather, I'm thinking how I can use it in my favor and what are its implications on gameplay.

Raelson

Skiesofwonder said:
Yes, but you don't become stronger by fighting. Your character itself will always be the same. It's the weapons and armors that make you stronger.

Raelson said:

Plus when your looking for the monster you have to target (hunting quest) and monsters you have slay (slaying quest) allows you to check most to all of the areas.

As for the loading thing, you'll get used to it after a while and hell it might even save your ass.

Skiesofwonder

I guess I was expecting an open world experience. Glad to find out now with the demo that that isn't the case instead of when I actually bought the game.

Now I can just focus on whats really important, whether or not the game is actually fun. Having a good time with the demo so far. Should be a blast with three other people and Wii speak.

Thanks for the help my fellow gaffers!

:D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Picked up the demo yesterday. Played it today. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's for me. :(

I'm going to try it again though, and see if it clicks.

Got the demo yesterday, just played around with it for a bit and LOVE it, even though I really have no idea what the hell I'm doing half the time.

Day one purchase for me.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fantastical said:
Picked up the demo yesterday. Played it today. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's for me. :(

I'm going to try it again though, and see if it clicks.

It took me 2-3 hours to even start and understand what to do- I would give it time.

upandaway

I sacrificed 20 minutes just to go around the place and get a feel for what other items there could be. I saw a lot of A popup and I dived into the sea for the first time.

This is one of how many areas? I'm having fun memorizing where the little things are to build a schedule. I was never one for speedruns but it's fun.

gotee12

kafka rock opera said:
I know man :( it sucks. Just trying to hold out a little longer!
While I am excited about Tri, I guess I was more referring to buying MHFU and a PSP simply based on the high praise of that game by those here. It would finally give me reason enough to buy one (and that is not a dig against the PSP, I just haven't found anything on it that interests me yet).

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
gotee12 said:
While I am excited about Tri, I guess I was more referring to buying MHFU and a PSP simply based on the high praise of that game by those here. It would finally give me reason enough to buy one (and that is not a dig against the PSP, I just haven't found anything on it that interests me yet).

I actually bought a PSP for the sole reason to play MH. It was a great decision. I only own MHF2 and Unite and am perfectly content with that because they are amazing.

Kad5

Im thinking about getting a headset of some kind with my wii speak. Can someone recommend me any good wireless headphones? Preferably ones that are sponsored by nintendo?

botticus

Grabbed my demo today; had to ask for it since they had it behind the counter, but at least they didn't make any mention about preordering. Hopefully I'll be able to put a few minutes into it shortly.

wsippel

Banned
upandaway said:
I sacrificed 20 minutes just to go around the place and get a feel for what other items there could be. I saw a lot of A popup and I dived into the sea for the first time.

This is one of how many areas? I'm having fun memorizing where the little things are to build a schedule. I was never one for speedruns but it's fun.
From what I've seen, there are five full fledged locations comparable to the island in scope, as well as a few special areas related to certain quests. The island will be where you spend most of your time, though, because there are many monsters roaming that location later on and it is the most diverse location. It's also the only location where you can farm points, some sort of pseudo currency.

Hiltz

Oh man, I almost beat the second monster quest again but time ran out while using the long sword. The monster really isn't hard at all even when it calls out for other monsters to help it out. Those monsters never really interfered with my battle. If anything, they helped me out by distracting the main monster and even attacked it once.

The more I play the demo, the more I like it. I've also gotten used to the camera. However, The only thing that's still bothering me is how frustrating it be at times when you want to run away in attempt to use a health item only to have the monsters usually chase after you. Even worse, you can get attacked while drinking a motion and you can't move while using it. It's a minor complaint though. I suppose its all part of the strategy in the gameplay.

I haven't been able to find a place to dive into the water yet. Maybe I'll need to spend more time exploring the areas.

I'm happy that I bought Wii Speak so I can finally use it for something. Although, it only cost me $1 from a bargain bin at Wal Mart last year.

botticus

My first attempt at Jaggi tells me I'm pretty shitty, but I'll plug away at it a bit when I have time. Went with the basic sword and shield first just to see how things went. I connected enough to get it limping by the time I fainted twice, but ran out of time.

How much health do they generally have left once they start limping?

Top Bottom