• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

PusherT

Alex said:
I really don't care for the Wii Remote version of the controls at all, bleh. CC Pro is def the way to go for me.
Thats odd considering i find the Wiimote "freestyle" control pretty good, camera control on the Dpad of the wiimote feels natural many adventure games on the Wii have the camera control on the dpad. The B button is perfect for all those evasive rolls and the A button is attack. The - button is good to for special swings and the Item button at 1 is great too. It works:D

Teknoman

PusherT said:
Yeah I had to use the long sword aswell to beat him my SnS just weren't doing enough damage keep getting time out

Yeah, I still need to try out the lance and see which weapons im sticking to. Definitely sticking with long sword though. Want to learn how to use SnS effectively too.

haha yeah that video reminds me a lot of how i play but im favoring the great sword. really really looking forward to playing this game and doing some online co-op. Did anyone ever find out if a usb headset will work on the wii?

I feel long sword has been nerfed a bit too much for me to prefer it anymore since you need to land a lot of blows consecutively to get up to that maximum damage multiplier. I mained Long Sword in the PSP games, so I think its time for a change with me and I'll probably go with Great Swords and Switch Axes for MH3.

Really not looking forward to starting from scratch again :lol

PusherT

Teknoman said:
Yeah, I still need to try out the lance and see which weapons im sticking to. Definitely sticking with long sword though. Want to learn how to use SnS effectively too.
Yeah SnS are cool especially that little sheild each time the jaggi or qurupecco charge me I just hit Z button and that shit blocks, massive blows from the monster may cause you to buckle:D I think I going to try to learn light switch axe

Alex

PusherT said:
Thats odd considering i find the Wiimote "freestyle" control pretty good, camera control on the Dpad of the wiimote feels natural many adventure games on the Wii have the camera control on the dpad. The B button is perfect for all those evasive rolls and the A button is attack. The - button is good to for special swings and the Item button at 1 is great too. It works:D

The motion control portions kill it for me. I cannot imagine how much I'd personally struggle with that as the game went on. Friend playing the demo and coming on MSN every so often, as probably the best Monster Hunter player I know, and asking me how to charge the G. Sword or do this and that was pretty funny though.

From what I've seen out of the Long Sword in Tri so far, it's in a better place than it was in Unite for sure. It's still not my kind of thing though.

Tekno; you shouldn't worry about sharpening your long sword too much (actively in combat and without the skill). When your Spirit Gauge is blinking basically everything is going to pass through. It's a big boon of the weapon tree.

Teknoman

Alex said:
The motion control portions kill it for me. I cannot imagine how much I'd personally struggle with that as the game went on. Friend playing the demo and coming on MSN every so often, as probably the best Monster Hunter player I know, and asking me how to charge the G. Sword or do this and that was pretty funny though.

From what I've seen out of the Long Sword in Tri so far, it's in a better place than it was in Unite for sure. It's still not my kind of thing though.

Tekno; you shouldn't worry about sharpening your long sword too much (actively in combat and without the skill). When your Spirit Gauge is blinking basically everything is going to pass through. It's a big boon of the weapon tree.

Really? Had no idea about that, guess it was just force of habit :lol

About the sword/shield, does the shield bash have a stun effect on monsters?

ShinNL

OMG, I'm ordering a wireless keyboard right now and just noticed the logitech wireless keyboard is also perfect for my PC. So then I thought, hey, would be cool if I had both Wii Speak and an USB keyboard... but! Both use USB, so that means I won't be able to use USB loader to get faster loading ._.

What to do!? Anyone stumbled on this problem?

I also just bought a new bigger TV (42") today solely for Monster Hunter... >_>;

Teknoman

Soneet said:
OMG, I'm ordering a wireless keyboard right now and just noticed the logitech wireless keyboard is also perfect for my PC. So then I thought, hey, would be cool if I had both Wii Speak and an USB keyboard... but! Both use USB, so that means I won't be able to use USB loader to get faster loading ._.

I also just bought a new bigger TV (42") today solely for Monster Hunter... >_>;

Would faster loading even matter when playing online though?

ShinNL

Teknoman said:
Would faster loading even matter when playing online though?
Have you never played the PSP version? People always race to the top in the tower xD

I've been using USB loader for such a long time I think I will notice though. When I popped in Metroid Prime Trilogy I was bothered by the disc sounds and the slower loading (compared to the regular Prime 3 I backed up on USB loader)

wsippel

Banned
Soneet said:

According to the NoE customer support website, you can use a hub to connect WiiSpeak and a keyboard.

ShinNL

wsippel said:
According to the NoE customer support website, you can use a hub to connect WiiSpeak and a keyboard.
Ooooh, that would be great, thanks a lot for the information :)!

*orders Logitech keyboard with no worries*

PusherT

Teknoman said:

Yeah the shisld bash--> backhand knuckle combo can stun a monster if you hit them in the head. On the Wii control its just tilt the wiimote to right and tap A twice

Teknoman

PusherT said:
Yeah the shisld bash--> backhand knuckle combo can stun a monster if you hit them in the head. On the Wii control its just tilt the wiimote to right and tap A twice

In that case, I think i'll specialize in Long Sword and Sword+shield. Those paralysis throwing knives are kinda handy too.

Teknoman said:
Hmm...how do you use barrel bombs effectively?
After playing the demo i went on a researching spree and the videos i watched use the little bombs that go off automatically to set the big ones off. But this guy was using it on a sleeping monster one of the pros will need to chime in for the full description. Seemed like it did a ton of damage.

Alex

kafka rock opera said:
After playing the demo i went on a researching spree and the videos i watched use the little bombs that go off automatically to set the big ones off. But this guy was using it on a sleeping monster one of the pros will need to chime in for the full description. Seemed like it did a ton of damage.

Can detonate bigger ones (lg. barrel, lg. barrel +) with sm. barrel and any form of ranged (throwing knives, shots from a gun).

In MHFU, Felynes detonated bombs by pegging you in the head with them!

Sleeping monsters take 300% damage from a waking attack, so that's why people bomb them. Lg. Barrel + packs a wallop. They're not an every hunt kind of thing, but they're very useful for quite a few monsters.

Are there hermituars or cenetaurs?

I think only Rath and Diablos return. I am displeased with the lack of Kut Ku. They say Rath is the semi "mascot" of the series. I disagree, it is Kut Ku.

Should've shown up covered in bandages or something!

Teknoman

kafka rock opera said:
Holy shit a god damned Unicorn. I need to look up what monsters there are in tri for me to fight.

An enormous sand-gator for one. Still not sure how that fight is going to work :lol

Teknoman said:
An enormous sand-gator for one. Still not sure how that fight is going to work :lol
Yeah man. Gonna kill that thing and wear its skin as a suit. GATOR BOOTS MOTHER FUCKER.
Im getting too excited for a game thats not gonna be out for over a month.

gotee12

Just found a bunch of the "ecology" vids on Youtube (thanx to the links in previous posts).

I know this isn't anything new to a lot of you, but holy crap at the full Shen-Moran ecology vid. (The sound's a little off but you get the idea.)

How do you even fight something like that?

*edit: nevermind, found a vid depicting the answer to my question...

Tenbatsu

Teknoman said:

Each weapon have an attack that will knock down monsters when hitting them on the head except for the Long Sword and Slash Axe. For sword/shield, it is the shield bash. You will notice a yellow spark when you did it correctly.

Seen your video. You should use more fade/step/left right moving slash to help you to evade and get to good position. Also for the spirit blade combo, you can actually mix moves in between

Currently you are executing:
spirit blade -> spirit blade - > spirit blade -> Final slash.

You can actually:
spirit blade -> THRUST -> spirit blade - > HIT -> spirit blade -> Final slash.

Btw you can cook multiple meat by holding on the running button. Camera wise I will advise you to use the slightly higher one(press up once for the camera control) as it enables you to judge the distance better.

PusherT said:
Yeah I had to use the long sword aswell to beat him my SnS just weren't doing enough damage keep getting time out
For SnS, you cant simply just kill by pure damage. You need to use items to speed up the process eg trapping, bombs etc.

gotee12 said:
How do you even fight something like that?

*edit: nevermind, found a vid depicting the answer to my question...
One of the best MH fight ever.

Poyunch

Haha Kuro finally called a Rathian my way today. I managed to weaken Kuro enough to make it retreat to another area while dodging Rath's attacks. I managed to avoid the Rath for a majority of the mission until the end. It landed around the same time I killed Kuro. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't kill it in time because the Rathian came charging right at me after it landed. :lol

I probably wouldn't have been able to do this if not for the Switch Axe. :3

Was I lucky or something?

jrricky

Banned
Whelp! Got this today from my gamestop but didnt have time to play because I went to watch Alice in Wonderland. Now Im home but Im seriously exhausted (had a late evening gym session after work then to the movie), and torn between sleeping and playing...

EDIT: Well, to bed it i...I can get up in the morning to play...
Soneet said:
I was scared to shit when I saw the graphics and music in this video...and then I read the title :lol :lol phew!

Teknoman

Tenbatsu said:
Seen your video. You should use more fade/step/left right moving slash to help you to evade and get to good position. Also for the spirit blade combo, you can actually mix moves in between

Currently you are executing:
spirit blade -> spirit blade - > spirit blade -> Final slash.

You can actually:
spirit blade -> THRUST -> spirit blade - > HIT -> spirit blade -> Final slash.

Btw you can cook multiple meat by holding on the running button. Camera wise I will advise you to use the slightly higher one(press up once for the camera control) as it enables you to judge the distance better.

Using classic control, how do you do those different slash styles? Analog in that direction + attack? Also about spirit blade, thought you had to just go through with the full attack, but now i'll try to mix in other attacks.

Tenbatsu

Teknoman said:
Using classic control, how do you do those different slash styles? Analog in that direction + attack? Also about spirit blade, thought you had to just go through with the full attack, but now i'll try to mix in other attacks.
Are you using cc type 1? If yes, here goes:

X - Step Slash
a + x - Fade Slash
L stick left or right + (a + x) = Moving Slash

You can also perform an instant spirit blade attack by pressing R + x + a

Hence thats why I prefer CC Type 2 or Wiichuk lol...

Teknoman

Tenbatsu said:
Are you using cc type 1? If yes, here goes:

X - Step Slash
a + x - Fade Slash
L stick left or right + (a + x) = Moving Slash

You can also perform an instant spirit blade attack by pressing R + x + a

Hence thats why I prefer CC Type 2 or Wiichuk lol...

Oh yeah, forgot about double button attack.

Eteric Rice

Might try hooking this up to my SDTV and seeing what it looks like. Doesn't look to good on my HDTV.

I'll still play it, though. :D

Does the game fill out the screen in the retail version, or no? I'm surprised they lowered the resolution to 360p. While the game's animations and stuff are awesome, you wouldn't think they'd have to lower it to get that.

Tenbatsu

Eteric Rice said:
Might try hooking this up to my SDTV and seeing what it looks like. Doesn't look to good on my HDTV.

I'll still play it, though. :D

Does the game fill out the screen in the retail version, or no? I'm surprised they lowered the resolution to 360p. While the game's animations and stuff are awesome, you wouldn't think they'd have to lower it to get that.
It looks really crisp and sharp on 4:3 on HDTV, and yes the game fills up the screen in the retail version. I think its 360p due to online synchronizing issue with the amount of details in the game. MHG for Wii is 480p 16:9 thou but the game is less detailed.

Tried all weapons, and here's my impressions (and questions related to bowgun range and accuracy).

Sword & Shild, pretty standard, feels like has nothing special compared to other weapons, but I like to be able to drink potions while holding equipments. [7]

Great Sword, awesoooome! This will be my weapon of choice, doesn't feel that heavy and deals quite damage, I love the way you can swing it back and front, this hits enemies that may have run behind you. [10]

Lance, worst set ever. Fucking slow and boring, evade is quite strange and confusing, maybe becuase you are supposed to use the shield instead of evasive moves... Will rate two because the dash attack is lol. [2]

Switch Axe, great weapon all around, but takes time to master, and I won't spend any, tough I can clearly see people sticking to it. [8]

Long Sword, hell yeah weapon for combos, very quick and fun to play, very nice to have a hit bar growing everytime you deal damage, special attack is fucking epic, I said wow when I launched it for the first time, also takes time to master due to combos. [9]

Axe, booring, slow, no variety of attacks, though the spin move is incredible, but I'm not digging it, and I thought it would be my favorite weapon. [5]

Bowgun, don't know what to think... it's a range weapon and you can't hit from afar? In first person view you can clearly notice the lack of accuracy, shots going all the way but inside the red circle... I'm guessing it's related to ammo and bowgun, maybe advanced ones will improve range and accuracy, maybe not... Someone please? The way it is I had fun, but was expecting more, it will be my weapon for online mode. [7, but could chance to 9 if the answer to my questions is "yes".]

:D

Now to wait until april, can't wait!

ShinNL

Most new players will have the same ratings as you Sammy Samusu. Can't blame you for that, but damn. I know I'm gonna be pissed off at all those LS and GS users who think they're fighting really amazing when most of them aren't xD

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Forgive my noobishness, but how the fuck do you beat either of the monsters from the demo in the time limit? I though I was doing awesome with the big-ass hammer but the goddammed thing just wouldn't die.

Is there like a hidden enemy health meter or something? How do I know how close I am to killing it?

Lenardo

Banned
finally found a GS with the demo,

wife loves it but thinks the controls are too hard to learn (ie complete neophyte)

i love it but think the controls are a bit wonky, but getting used to not mashing buttons to fight and am improving (beat the 1 star monster finally-using cc1 going to go back and try with mote/chuck combo)

my 8yr old LOVES IT..and is kicking ass and taking names...the bastard.

my 5yr olds love it, but hell they are 5 (daughter does surprisingly well though, she went thru the whole 20 minutes for the first boss and didn't die once)

definatelty buying the game

Tenbatsu

Sammy Samusu said:
Lance, worst set ever. Fucking slow and boring, evade is quite strange and confusing, maybe becuase you are supposed to use the shield instead of evasive moves... Will rate two because the dash attack is lol. [2]
Lol. Actually lance is like the strongest weapon in MH since the first MH??

Bowgun = Yes.

Pseudo_Sam said:
Is there like a hidden enemy health meter or something? How do I know how close I am to killing it?
When they are limping, its usually a sign that they are dying.

Alex

I'd argue for Hammer in the Dos footprint, but for the original it was def Lance.

All monsters give off signs of a near death state, usually multiple. Limping, coughing up blood, enraging more often (fuck you Tigrex), etc.

upandaway

(Edit: all those that have trouble with Quru, assemble! Let's join our techniques and win!)

Great Jaggi was so easy, he's pretty funny. He just goes down so easily!
I first tried the S&S then Long Sword and beat him both times.
Monsters show signs when they're nearly done! I loved that. Qurupeco had drool. I also saw Jaggi and Qurupeco stumble away from me. And Jaggi also had his own paths out of each area. That was awesome.

I was forced to learn how to use potions with Qurupeco, I didn't know until then. Then I saw you can just hold C and there are a bunch of different items.
I noticed you can grill meat, did it twice and got Burned once (lowers my stamina learned through experience) and Rare once (ups stamina), but I come fresh out of the store with two Mediums, so why even bother? They do the same thing as Rare.
Besides that, I saw a barrel and bombs, but had no clue how to use them so I decided to forget they exist.

I still didn't beat Qurupeco. I just can't make it in time. I tried five times, and twice out of that I died in the middle (does his health reset after I die?).

1. Switch Axe, loved it. I'm totally choosing this one. The concept is cool how it changes to a sword and everything. I found it pretty easy to switch based on my circumstances and it helped a lot in the fight, even though I didn't beat him in time. After I stood up suddenly I became dizzy! With just enough health for him to hit his knuckles and make me faint.
2. Heavy Bowgun, Light Bowgun. I put both as one attempt because I quit around the 5 minute mark. Maybe they just suck in the circumstances of the demo? Also I hoped I'd be able to shoot Qurupeco as he flies up high and make him fall down, but he never flew up in the time I played. Does it happen?
3. Hammer. I didn't hit him a lot with this, because I misjudged the range. Still, I thought since it's the "all offense no defense" weapon, that I'd be able to do some good damage, but... Qurupeco didn't even drool. I died with it near the end.
4. S&S again. Again I had a lot of fun with it just because of how easy it is to respond to different scenarios with it.
5. Long Sword again. I saw it shine (before I didn't notice). Still, couldn't beat him. I thought I was doing so good, and I saw him drool for the second time since Switch Axe, but he still didn't die.

I also tried the Lance with Jaggi but it didn't go so well. I felt too slow to be of any use... and limited in my moves. I think this one's key for turtling against aggressive enemies, but it doesn't come cheap on skill.

I saw quite a few times a message saying "your weapon's power has decreased" or something like that. I had no clue what to do with that information...
At the last 5 or so minutes, with the Switch Axe and Long Sword, every time I hit the monster the weapon bounced back. I assume this goes along with the weapon's power decreasing, but again, I don't know what to do. I'm guessing this is the only reason I couldn't beat Qurupeco in the time limit with the Long Sword.

I really want to mess with the game more, but every time I see "Time Left: 20 Minutes" I just rush out to get the fucker. Next attempt, I'll take my time and figure out this decreased power business.
I also saw those Mega Potions or however they're called... I had the same amount of them as normal potions. From now on, as the mission starts I will switch to those.

All in all, I only have good things to say. I love the style of the game. I hate how little monkey things steal potions from me.

gotee12

upandaway said:
I still didn't beat Qurupeco. I just can't make it in time. I tried five times, and twice out of that I died in the middle (does his health reset after I die?).
Same story with me. I've caused Quru to limp away a few times but I just can't kill him within the time limit. But the wild thing about Monster Hunter is that it's just driving me to do better instead of throwing up my hands in desperation and giving up.

Top Bottom