• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Alex

Luigiv said:
Fair enough, it was just the way you worded it that made it sound like you were one.

No, not at all. I only use Unsheathe attacks into team mates then game exit. I am THAT pro.

PusherT

I finally beat that bastard Quropecco, I had to use long sword though to do it:D I just keep using spirit blade combo on him cut that fucking bag on his throat too. I was trying to do it with Sword and Sheild but my blows weren't doing enough damage and didn't know how to do large bombs properly. For my 1st day ever playing Monster Hunter I like it it feels like I'm fighting the monster with my movements. Since I don't have a classic controller just been rocking with the Wiimote-nunchuck combo I think people should really consider that control style it great.

So when the game luanches in April can I look foward to playing with you guys, Tenbatsu are you going to take under wing and teach me your awsome Switch Axe skills? I can't wait to fight that water dragon the one on the games cover:D

Pociask

Just picked up the demo at Gamestop(well, a few hours ago, anyway). The girl at the counter showed me in the system that for whatever reason they have the demo disc as a pre-order bonus. I told her they were wrong, but ended up paying the five bucks for the preorder... also in the system, apparently they have it down that you have to buy a Wii to get the 500 Wii points! So... definitely bringing a print-out of the Game-stop website by, where it says otherwise next time.

Kad5

So the Great Jaggi is pretty easy to defeat. But the quropeco is annoying as hell. Here I am trying to kill the fucker and all of a sudden this big ass dragon thing comes in and rapes my shit. Not cool man not cool at all.

PusherT

Kad5 said:
So the Great Jaggi is pretty easy to defeat. But the quropeco is annoying as hell. Here I am trying to kill the fucker and all of a sudden this big ass dragon thing comes in and rapes my shit. Not cool man not cool at all.
Tip I noticed when Qurupecco is calling help "starts to sing" throw those sonic bombs at him it seem to stun and stops him from recieving help.

Hiltz

I've beaten the first quest 3 times and tested out using the Hammer, Switch Axe, and Long Sword weapons. You may notice some nitpicking by the way.

- Combat is challenging

Pros: You need to be ready to dodge and/or block a monster's attack and then prepare to attack or use an item before repeating the process over again until the monster(s) is dead, but there's definetly some strategy involved. If you treat it like a mindless hack and slash game then you will die (I learned the hard way). In addition, most of the monsters put up a good fight. The smaller ones aren't of any real concern but the big ones sure are so be sure to carry a lot of health potions!

I'm sure this may prove to be a frusterating and far more challenging experience for players who intend to really just stick to the single player mode.

Part of the fun of a challenging game is reaping the rewards. It's fairly satisfying to take down a big, tough monster and take out your carving knife and gut it for different items.

Cons: It can be somewhat difficult to line up your attacks in attempt to land a successful blow. Part of the reason seems to be due to the wonky camera.The other reason is because player movement, attack speed, and recovery rate is generally sluggish. Also, being chased down by one or more monsters while low on health can be a somewhat frusterating situation when they can chase you pretty far, giving you little time to use a get to a safe enough distance to use a health item.

I hope that the camera is more fine tuned in the final build of the game which I hope Capcom is open to player feedback from the demo. This is wishful thinking, but the game rcould have been better of with a fixed camera system or even if it simply had a lock-on system.

I was kind of annoyed by using the weapons like the Hammer when I thought I was close enough to a monster but the short attack range of the weapon meant that I wasn't quite close enough hit my intended target. In that sense, you really got to know how close you are to a monster and if you're in the right position as well when using most of the weapons. If you don't then you'll just be wasting your time gambling on whether or not your attack will actually hit the monster.

- Graphics

Pros: It certainly looks good especially with the attention to detail on the monster designs and the environments combined with the monsters running around and interacting provide a pretty good sense of atmopshere.

Cons: I honestly expected the visuals to look slightly better in motion. I just wasn't blown away by it even for being a big Wii title.In a way, the environments kind of remind me of areas found in Twilight Princess like Hyrule Field and the one outside of Castle Town's main entrance. Of course, the demo only shows less than a handful of different environmental areas so there's sure to be more impressive areas to explore.

- Loading Screens

Pros: They go by pretty quickly

Cons: Expect to see one of them EVERY time you enter a different area. In my opinion, it is because of this it just feels like it is clashing with the game's sense of atmosphere. Capcom should have found a clever way to hide the loading times like how Retro Studios did with Metroid Prime.

- Controls

Pros: Responsive combat controls

Cons: Personally, I don't like using the Wii+ nunchuck controls as far as using motion control for some attacks go. It just feels unintituive and very unnecessary and it also doesn't enhance the experience in any way. It's a miracble that this game supports the Classic and Pro Classic Controller.

The camera is wonky. You'll have to use the d-pad to manipulate the camera most of the time and it's generally a struggle to keep it focused on the center of the action. To me at least, MH 3 feels outdated because it doesn't use a lock-on system/z-targeting which it could seriously benefit from.

-Character movement and speed

Pros: There's a dash meter that allows you to run faster for a short period of time. Big monsters seem to be fairly easy to avoid being hit by their attacks if you pay enough attentention to their movements. Even in groups, packs of smaller monsters can be taken on with no problem. The real challenge is keeping an eye on the location of where the toughest monster is at.

Cons: You move slow and you attack slow to the point where it feels like your controller a tank character It's a sluggish experience for basically every character class. However, I noticed that the sword and shield class can attack slightly faster. There's no real fluid or graceful flow to the combat. You either hit or miss your enemy your attack and then you go back to a nuetral stance and choose to either perform another attack or dodge/block an enemy's attack i na rather sluggish manner.

-Monsters

Pros: It's cool to watch the monsters run around and interact with each other. I also enjoyed looking at certain animation signs that reveal when a monster is getting tired or is too injured to continue fighting. Monsters can do stuff like call in other monsters for help or limp away to safety. They can also be found sleeping in their dens.

Cons: I hope to see more variety in terms of monster interactions, but given how this is just a simple demo with 2 quests, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I think it's obvious that Monster Hunter 3 is going to be a love/ hate it type of game. Naturally, that seems to be the issue with the entire franchise. While the game's concept is cool, it's the execution of the gameplay and adjusting to the controls that will make a player a fan or a hater. Personally, I'm still on the fence.

In a way, I think Capcom's execution of the Monster Hunter games reminds me of some of the things Capcom has done with the Resident Evil franchise in terms of game design decisions. For example, the old Resident Evil games used a fixed camera system with tank controls. This made the game's atmosphere more scary and the gameplay more challenging because you had stuff like limited ammo and less weapons. However, in RE 4 and 5, Capcom made signicant changes to both the controls and camera system which gave those games more of an action-packed horror game than the original survival horror genre that RE was created with.

As for Monster Hunter, it seems like Capcom has stuck with some outdated and unconvential design decisions that restricts players from easily overpowering enemies by making character movement and attacking slower. By doing so, it has provided the gameplay with a necessary strategic skill in order to properly win battles and manage to survival in the process.

Effect

Hacking and slashing is what I was attempting when I first played and that for sure wasn't working at all. I won't be surprised at all if a ton of new players do this first thing. Hopefully they won't get to frustrated by that. I'm still amazed after playing it how players can play online and work so well together in videos of the Japanese version. Though I guess those could be veteran players.

Then again I'm going to assume and hope the final game will actually ease you into combat. In the demo you can easily go into the first area beyond your camp and run right into the boss during the one star mission.

Do wish I could pull the camera back a little more or fix it behind my character at all times though.

: ( this game looks significantly worse than I was expecting. It's really blurry. I still love monster hunter though and controlling the camera is great. My only complaint control wise was that I accidentally kept begining a charge attack everytime
e I hit X / front attack with my GS

Alex

MH 3 feels outdated because it doesn't use a lock-on system/z-targeting which it could seriously benefit from.

No. No six years ago, no now.

The only people who drop this line are the ones who have absolutely no understanding of how the game works. This would completely destroy the game.

RobbieNick

Alex said:

The only people who drop this line are the ones who have absolutely no understanding of how the game works. This would completely destroy the game.

He speaks the truth. When I was a noobie, I felt the same. But it's part of the hunting experience. It's hard to explain exactly. I WOULD like better camera control and a way to stop my attack animations if I'm gonna miss.

Alex said:

Lock-on for paintballs. I still stand by that.

Dragona Akehi said:

I always thought there was a little bit of aim assist for paintballs and throwing knives. I rarely ever miss anything bigger than the Dos Jaggi (unless the monster is taking flight).

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
I always thought there was a little bit of aim assist for paintballs and throwing knives. I rarely ever miss anything bigger than the Dos Jaggi (unless the monster is taking flight).

I definitely am against lock-on for anything that actually does damage. But those fucking paintballs. I NEVER HIT FUCK ALL.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Tenbatsu said:
Yeah lol.

Did you see the video that they use only KICK to kill the last boss in Nico Nico?

I did, absolutely ridiculous. I don't think I'll ever get that good, lol.

Tenbatsu

Hiltz said:
Cons: It can be somewhat difficult to line up your attacks in attempt to land a successful blow. Part of the reason seems to be due to the wonky camera.The other reason is because player movement, attack speed, and recovery rate is generally sluggish. Also, being chased down by one or more monsters while low on health can be a somewhat frusterating situation when they can chase you pretty far, giving you little time to use a get to a safe enough distance to use a health item.

I hope that the camera is more fine tuned in the final build of the game which I hope Capcom is open to player feedback from the demo. This is wishful thinking, but the game rcould have been better of with a fixed camera system or even if it simply had a lock-on system.

I was kind of annoyed by using the weapons like the Hammer when I thought I was close enough to a monster but the short attack range of the weapon meant that I wasn't quite close enough hit my intended target. In that sense, you really got to know how close you are to a monster and if you're in the right position as well when using most of the weapons. If you don't then you'll just be wasting your time gambling on whether or not your attack will actually hit the monster.
Camera is prefect, you just need more practise. Fixed camera is a joke.

Hiltz said:
- Loading Screens

Pros: They go by pretty quickly

Cons: Expect to see one of them EVERY time you enter a different area. In my opinion, it is because of this it just feels like it is clashing with the game's sense of atmosphere. Capcom should have found a clever way to hide the loading times like how Retro Studios did with Metroid Prime.
This is how the game is designed. Unless Capcom redesign everything, the loading will be staying.

Hiltz said:
-Character movement and speed

Cons: You move slow and you attack slow to the point where it feels like your controller a tank character It's a sluggish experience for basically every character class. However, I noticed that the sword and shield class can attack slightly faster. There's no real fluid or graceful flow to the combat. You either hit or miss your enemy your attack and then you go back to a nuetral stance and choose to either perform another attack or dodge/block an enemy's attack i na rather sluggish manner.
You answered it yourself, different weapon have different weight to them hence the movement speed of the player.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alright, I think I get my biggest problems with the system. When you're backed up and emptying on the monster, you have this dead time after shots were you can't do anything. I understand the need for a cool-down period, but I'd like to be able to cancel into a roll if my shots aren't going to interrupt his attacks. It makes the game feel sloppy, sluggish, and dull. Also, I SO wish I could aim the guns with the Wii remotes. I'd take something like a longer cool-down or something, it's just manual and quick aiming feel sooooo sluggish...

Tenbatsu

^
I think you are referring to bullets Recoil. Different bullets/guns have different recoil timing. This is to make the game more fair. You wont want 4 gunners to keep on shooting stun/Clust S bullets with no recoil at a monster don't you? Anw you can set skills to minimize the recoil in the final build.

Fucking hell I am leaking alot of secrets here. Dam.

Mine is a BIT blur too but it makes the whole game looks more natural. I think Luigiv can give you a better answer.

V

Seriously guys, why is this game so blurry??!?!?!? I'm rocking 480p too. I'm so use to the sharpness of the psp screen that it's really bugging me, especially with all the grey walls in the demo area. where there complains like mine with the japanses version?

Anyway, I still have my LS and GS skillz. From my brief test run, the slash axe might be my 3rd main weapon if there are any great elemental weapons that don't fall under the swords relativly early in the game.

Luigiv

Gamer @ Heart said:
Seriously guys, why is this game so blurry??!?!?!? I'm rocking 480p too. I'm so ur to the sharpness of the psp screen that it's really bugging me, espeialky with all the grey walls in the demo area. where there complains like mine with the japanses version?

Anyway, I still have my LS and GS skillz. From my brief test run, the slay axe might be my 3rd main weapon if there are any great elemental weapons that don't fall under the swords relativly early in the game.
It's your TV. The Game runs 360p so it looks blurry on some TVs.

Luigiv

Gamer @ Heart said:
Well now I am seriously bummed. It's only a 26 inch LCD too....
Well you could always run the game in 4:3 mode (which is actually 480p) letterboxed if it annoys you that badly.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Alex said:

I RAGE so hard whenever I hear somebody saying they want lock on in MH. Get that outta of here.
Tenbatsu said:
You have that already. Auto tracking skill....zzzz
Pretty much this. Makes paintball irrelevant.

sprsk

Jangaroo said:
I RAGE so hard whenever I hear somebody saying they want lock on in MH. Get that outta of here.

Pretty much this. Makes paintball irrelevant.

And seriously, you don't even need paintballs after a certain point unless you want to know if a second monster is incoming or not.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
sprsk said:
And seriously, you don't even need paintballs after a certain point unless you want to know if a second monster is incoming or not.
I only use Auto tracking when I do multi-monster quests. And yeah, you're right. Most monsters follow a specific pattern depending on how much time passes on a map, so once you get that down, you can kiss paintballs good bye.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Tenbatsu said:
^
I think you are referring to bullets Recoil. Different bullets/guns have different recoil timing. This is to make the game more fair. You wont want 4 gunners to keep on shooting stun/Clust S bullets with no recoil at a monster don't you? Anw you can set skills to minimize the recoil in the final build.

Fucking hell I am leaking alot of secrets here. Dam.
Well yeah, I kind of figured, but my main issue is that you can't roll while in that recoil moment. It makes it very difficult to dodge when I'm blasting at a charging monster while the thing tackles into me. Timing is very important for me, and how imprecise the dodging is is getting me a bit annoyed...

RobbieNick

Whoo-Hoo!! Beat the 3-star monster with the Axesword!! Took four tries too. Guess that's where the "Tri" part comes into play.:lol

Alex

doomed1 said:
Well yeah, I kind of figured, but my main issue is that you can't roll while in that recoil moment. It makes it very difficult to dodge when I'm blasting at a charging monster while the thing tackles into me. Timing is very important for me, and how imprecise the dodging is is getting me a bit annoyed...

Don't shoot at charging monsters (charging right into you that is). Use your speed with a light gun and catch it during mid-action or just eat the charge with a heavy + shield. You gotta learn the patterns and transitions, can't just fire away and reload whenever you like.

I always thought Kirin was a pretty good training monster due to that. You had to be really careful about when you chose to reload and how to handle certain ammo.

Different guns handle differently though with how they fire certain ammo types. And there's skills for this too. You'll be able to pick out what you like in the full game.

Do they even give you Comrades in this demo?

Tenbatsu

doomed1 said:
I mean if you can roll during a recoil, isn't that giving gunner a HUGE advantage? Shoot roll shoot roll, I think gunnery will be a beast and makes the game unfair.

The dodging is super precise for gunners, and the timing is dependent down right to the individual equipped skills/bullet/gun types. So you will have to analyze the situation, if I fire this bullet, do I have enough time to do a dodge after my recoil? You have to take all this into consideration.

Take a look at this video, there's a part where the gunner did a perfect side stepping to evade a charging monster (5th Video)
http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/3/movie1.html

Alex said:
Don't shoot at charging monsters (charging right into you that is).
You can do that with light bow guns now as they enable you to do side stepping. Middle bowgun allows you to roll. The moment to execute the move is right after your gun/bullets recoil timing.

ShinNL

Dragona Akehi said:
Oh noez, I missed activating my large barrel bomb because the stupid game decided to auto-aim the paintball to the nearest wyvern D:

Oh noes no 480p Capcom doesn't care sell my Wii.

I think i'm gonna skip the demo and go into the full retail version blind. (Not that I have a choice, nobody at Gamestop up here has so much as heard about the demo...)

markatisu

Luigiv said:
Because my TV produces the exact same blur I get when playing anything else in 360p (eg. RE4, Deadly Creatures, GoWII)

The blur is part of the art design, I think there was a shot in the Dolphin emulator thread when someone turned it off (you of course do not have that option)

But it is intentionally blurry, its not because the Wii is shit or any number of other made up reasons.

You get used to it after a while, same with the camera. Fixed camera is shit as is lock on targeting (though I can see the paint ball thing, but I am talking about attacks), if you play the game for any decent amount of time you master both. And with the claw grip gone by using the Classic Controller or CC Pro the only people who have problems is those who do not want to take the time to learn.

I picked up my demo yesterday, our Gamestop was pushing it pretty hard because next to the MH3 demo box was the hand out sheets about the Wii Shop and everything you can buy.

If this game fails it wont be because of lack of trying. It has big time advertising, and it has a big and super nice push at "core" retail

thefro

I'm definitely struggling with the camera with the default setup (don't have a CC... waiting for the CC pro in the bundle), so I'm hoping it'll be fine when I can use an analog stick to control it.

Would have been nice if Capcom had tweaked the Japanese demo and added a tutorial quest or something. I'm doing okay, but I imagine a lot of people will need some more help to get into the game.

Alex

I really don't care for the Wii Remote version of the controls at all, bleh. CC Pro is def the way to go for me.

Effect

thefro said:
I'm definitely struggling with the camera with the default setup (don't have a CC... waiting for the CC pro in the bundle), so I'm hoping it'll be fine when I can use an analog stick to control it.

Would have been nice if Capcom had tweaked the Japanese demo and added a tutorial quest or something. I'm doing okay, but I imagine a lot of people will need some more help to get into the game.

They did say they rework the single player aspect for Monster Hunter 3. More story based. So I'm going to assume there will be a tutorial and they aren't simply going to throw us to the wild. At least I hope not.

I wonder, is there anyone on the boards that has played the Japanese version of the game that could talk about the single player setup? If it's different from past MH games? What's new?

Wazzim

Banned
Anyone else getting/already got a Wii for this game?

I haven't played MHF:U for a half year now after reaching HR9.....but I got to get addicted again!

sprsk

Effect said:
They did say they rework the single player aspect for Monster Hunter 3. More story based. So I'm going to assume there will be a tutorial and they aren't simply going to throw us to the wild. At least I hope not.

I wonder, is there anyone on the boards that has played the Japanese version of the game that could talk about the single player setup? If it's different from past MH games? What's new?

There is a full tutorial. If you new to the series, this is the one to get, imo. If I remember correctly btw, I think the demo versions of the monsters are tuned a bit harder than in the normal single player game. Takes longer to take em down.

Tenbatsu

Effect said:

In the full game, things progresses slowly on a step by step basis. You start by moving your character around, killing some harmless creatures, digging their corpse, familiarizing with the surrounding. Then you will have some simple mission one at a time till ya ready to face the tougher monsters. All this in a form of a tutorial. There is also a in game guide for you to read.

As for the single player mode, it is not much different from past mhs. The only major new addition is the Moga Forest where you can go to hunt certain monsters at any time to earn points and rewards. You can also go there to stock up your items and head back without the need to finish any mission.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Played this last night. I'm a bit of a noob, but I've put a few hours into the newest PSP game. I had no issues using the CC after I figured out which buttons did what. Beat the 1 star mission twice with no issues. Played the three star mission and ran out of time. That damn dragon showing up through me for a loop. :lol

Is there a combo list for each weapon? I was pretty much button mashing the two attacks and rolling/sidestepping before the monster would attack me. Seemed to work pretty well, but I used a lot of potions. I only tried sword & shield and the two transforming axe characters.

Eteric Rice

Yeah, demo game is pretty blurry and doesn't fit my whole screen for some reason.

Gonna try the game some more when I get home.

tim1138

Swung by the GameStop by my work on lunch today and the first clerk had no idea such a thing as a Wii demo existed (or anything about Monster Hunter for that matter). He checked with another clerk that said they won't have them until next week... lame.

Jme

Walked into GameStop. Huge stack of Demos on counter. Took 1. Walked out. (Well, I picked up Heavy Rain too but..) Point is, they come in a display box, so therefor should be on the counter. Don't ask just take it so the stupid employee doesn't even have a chance to try to force a pre-order on you when it's not required.

Top Bottom